• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
None of the javelins have MW support gear yet.
thats....a weird decision. with div2 coming out tonight this game is getting put on the back burner for a while. itll be interesting to see how this game turns out a few months from now. i still think the gameplay loop and combat is second to none, its just the supporting systems need to get ironed out along with more content. will definitely be coming back.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
mad-max-mediocre-gif.gif

Every fucking drop

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first legendary in about 5 days. It's a ranger component with bad rolls. I only play interceptor.

It feels pretty bad.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just take a moment to laugh about how Reddit now thinks the #1 problem with Anthem is.....the analytics tool.
that post actually make sense to me though i dont see where reddit says its the number 1 problem with the game. they are all about the loot now.

as a baseball fan, i think analytics have turned the game into this bastardized soulless version of baseball that fails to take into account the feel of the game. it was shocking to see JD Martinez not even make the final three for MVP voting because his WAR was too low. anyone who has seen the redsox play knows how he made everyone around him better and how clutch he was.

you see the same thing with the yankees. their front office and analytics guys basically call the game. their GM was on talking about how teams who hit home runs win the world series after Stanton struck out swinging like a fool. these numbers guys dont take into account the tension, the stress, and skill that goes into sports. they lose the human element.

if this guy is right about the devs looking at numbers to make decisions and as a destiny player, i know how much devs care about pouring over data for MONTHS before they make a minor change, then we need them to stop looking. sometimes just fucking listen to the fanbase and increase the drop rates.

they already have random rolls. just do it. these games are about min/maxing. the loot chase is fun because of the min/maxing. i dont know any destiny players who quit playing when they got the Gjallahorn. they played more because they finally got it after a year of playing. i bet this game was designed by psychologists just like Destiny who have studied addicts and know exactly how to keep people coming back for more. but games are not drugs. and 99% of the people dont play the same game for a 1000 hours every year.

Oct 30, 2017
I've hit the point now where there's become far less incentive to play. I've been addicted to this game all the way through, but now at level 30 and playing GM1 all I get is purple 38's. They're all the same.... I get a few masterwork every time I play but so far it's been machine pistols and heavy pistols with a few components. I use a Ranger with AR and shotgun. The lack of cosmetics makes me not care about altering my javelins and I'm not sure what else I can do to keep it interesting. I'll be keeping the game for sure because I want to see how it unfolds with future content.

I'm not entirely sure how loot should work but it seems so strange. Early loot is so pointless, you pretty much start getting blue and avoid everything else. By the time you get blue unlocks you're already trying to get purple gear. And by the time you get purple unlocks you've moved on to masterwork. I have endless embers for loot I'll never craft because its pointless. For almost the entire game you can ignore half the loot. Hoping they add a way to trade 100 green embers for mastwork embers or something. The whole purpose of this game is to get oranges and yellow loot and then what? Just get better stats? Why even have a purple drop at GM2 or higher? Should just all be all orange and yellow gear, embers and cosmetics at that point.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
If anyone can find anything in Anthem that works correctly/as it should/at all, please let us know...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._running_tests_it_seems_that_to_shields_does/
It's even worse than that: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...rscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

There seems to be even more stupid design decision math going on behind that scenes that makes most loot literally useless. Unbelievable. I think this is worse than the level 1 defender post.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
It's even worse than that: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...rscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

There seems to be even more stupid design decision math going on behind that scenes that makes most loot literally useless. Unbelievable. I think this is worse than the level 1 defender post.
Holy shit. This is disastrous. Their entire system is fucked. They're going to have to completely redo and rebalance their entire stat system, literally months and months of work. What the fuck were they thinking!?

All hope I had that they could turn this around is gone. I've have a lot of fun Anthem, and will probably play sporadically because the combat is fun, but this game basically needs to be completely rebooted and there is no way it's going to happen.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

So I guess this game won't be getting in better anytime soon or possibly ever..

Lesson learned, on the plus side there are good alternative out there atm

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017

I said in another thread that Anthem needs a FFXIV style reboot, and this pretty much confirms it. I doubt it'll happen though. Sad, so much potential wasted.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So... what should we unequip or avoid equipping to actually be able to do decent damage/avoid redundant slots?

Also still looking for recommendations on what Storm MW's to look out for.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
So... what should we unequip or avoid equipping to actually be able to do decent damage/avoid redundant slots?

Basically only equip legendaries and leave all other slots empty. If you don't have a legendary yet, only equip masterworks. Never equip epics. What they are doesn't matter.

This game is fundamentally broken and I'm really upset. I got my money's worth with over 100 hours playtime but I really wanted it to be an ever evolving and improving success. Pretty sure it won't be.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017

Black Ice, Venomous Blaze, Ten Thousand Suns and Winters Wrath are the popular choices for Storm. For components I like to go for ones that reduce cooldowns, especially when using Black Ice/Venomous Blaze.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

And this is exactly why there is no stat page. Bioware knows the numbers are smoke and mirrors...they're likely waiting until they have an actual loot progression system to provide one.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man that reddit post is heart breaking. If that dude is right (And it looks like he put a lot of testing into it), then this game is basically bullshitting it's way through gear bonuses.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man that reddit post is heart breaking. If that dude is right (And it looks like he put a lot of testing into it), then this game is basically bullshitting it's way through gear bonuses.
Yeah that's the craziest shit I've read yet. The level one gun thing was more funny than serious since it was clearly just a scaling issue... this is way beyond that. No idea why these companies don't just hire from Blizz teams that have been dealing with loot & stats forever

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Is there a reason to keep purple items once you start getting masterworks and legendaries?

Also, has it been raining in the game since the patch for anyone else?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to keep purple items once you start getting masterworks and legendaries?
Not for pure gameplay purposes, but if you plan to do all of the challenges in the game (and go for all of the trophies/achievements) then the MW/legendary versions don't count for the normal version challenge. I've been keeping one of each ability at epic level (the one with the highest luck stat) to use for those challenges.

Also, has it been raining in the game since the patch for anyone else?
Yes, the weather has definitely been inclement since the patch! Maybe we'll see some new cataclysm related stuff soon.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Basically only equip legendaries and leave all other slots empty. If you don't have a legendary yet, only equip masterworks. Never equip epics. What they are doesn't matter.

This game is fundamentally broken and I'm really upset. I got my money's worth with over 100 hours playtime but I really wanted it to be an ever evolving and improving success. Pretty sure it won't be.

If a looter shooter only gave me 100hrs of playtime, I'd be pissed.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
If a looter shooter only gave me 100hrs of playtime, I'd be pissed.
I don't think the genre really matters. If I get an hour of enjoyment for every £1 I spend on a game I count that as worth it. Considering I bought it for £35 and have probably played triple that in hours, it's my money's worth. Particularly since I won't have to pay money for any future content, extending that playtime.

I mean, I'm going to see Captain Marvel this weekend for £15 for two hours. I easily dropped £40+ in a bar last night on drinks and food for five hours worth of fun. £35 for over one hundred really is pretty good, even if I would have liked to sink a lot more time on it than that.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh, i dont know about that. Epics can stack up with Masterwork components and give double the boost. i still havent been able to one of the gear recharge Masterworks to drop so i am still rocking the epic component. i pretty much need it for faster recharge of my storm abilities. i feel handicapped without.

i dont think Legendaries are that much better than MWs. for the same component, yes, pick legendary over its MW version, but if its just some universal component giving you more armor or ultimate damage? Nah, go with what works well for your build. there are a lot of MWs that give you 60% extra damage for using R1 or L1 abilities. then there are the 35% elemental damage, gear damage and blast damage components that should give you a massive damage boost.

I'm not entirely sure how loot should work but it seems so strange. Early loot is so pointless, you pretty much start getting blue and avoid everything else. By the time you get blue unlocks you're already trying to get purple gear. And by the time you get purple unlocks you've moved on to masterwork. I have endless embers for loot I'll never craft because its pointless. For almost the entire game you can ignore half the loot. Hoping they add a way to trade 100 green embers for mastwork embers or something. The whole purpose of this game is to get oranges and yellow loot and then what? Just get better stats? Why even have a purple drop at GM2 or higher? Should just all be all orange and yellow gear, embers and cosmetics at that point.

They definitely need some kind of trading system for embers. 15 MW embers for crafting a MW item is ridiculous. you get like 5 MW items in like 2-3 hours of play. so to craft one MW item, you have to play for 6 hours?

i had a pretty rough day yesterday in GM2 strongholds just a day after i got 18 MWs and 2 Legendaries from 3 GM2 strongholds just a day ago. Only 4 Total from 2 strongholds, all from last bosses. no enemy drops. first two chests didnt drop anything. Tyrant Mine actually had zero drops in the first area, no epics, no blues and i guess i shouldve stopped there because it was clearly bugged at that point but i was the best player on the team and was carrying them and didnt want to quit out on them. but still, a waste of 45 minutes. My luck was at around 140%, so i brought it down to under 90% for the next stronghold and same thing. i am pretty sure luck is bugged in this game. i had better luck with no luck.

Last edited:

Cahill

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut, USA
eh, i dont know about that. Epics can stack up with Masterwork components and give double the boost. i still havent been able to one of the gear recharge Masterworks to drop so i am still rocking the epic component. i pretty much need it for faster recharge of my storm abilities. i feel handicapped without.

i dont think Legendaries are that much better than MWs. for the same component, yes, pick legendary over its MW version, but if its just some universal component giving you more armor or ultimate damage? Nah, go with what works well for your build. there are a lot of MWs that give you 60% extra damage for using R1 or L1 abilities. then there are the 35% elemental damage, gear damage and blast damage components that should give you a massive damage boost.

He's referring to the Reddit post about 1.0.3 scaling quoted multiple times on this page.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah the way power scaling works at the moment you lose SERIOUS amounts of damage by equiping epics.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry to ask for clarity, I'm new to the end-game and really haven't been heavily into Anthem gear-wise while waiting to hit it. Appreciate the help.

I have no legendaries, but currently have a mix of purple (epic?) and masterwork items equipped. Weapons both MW. Is this just tied to components, and if so is there a way to unequip the ones that are broken and negatively affecting things? Or is this tied to everything?

Not sure how I'd be able to unequip everything purple, I've been trashing everything I haven't been equipping bar MW's. The only MW focus seal I have is Chaotic Rime and it's barely doing anything damage-wise beyond freezing (which I can achieve better with a purple Ice Storm..).

Any help would be appreciated, it's really tedious to not only not have a stats screen to work with (or any numbers at all) but for then items to be of detriment too. What's even going on at this point.

Black Ice, Venomous Blaze, Ten Thousand Suns and Winters Wrath are the popular choices for Storm. For components I like to go for ones that reduce cooldowns, especially when using Black Ice/Venomous Blaze.
Thank you, appreciate the tips.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I'm sorry; I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Reading these accounts has gone from upsetting or frustrating to simply being disappointing and sobering.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the genre really matters. If I get an hour of enjoyment for every £1 I spend on a game I count that as worth it. Considering I bought it for £35 and have probably played triple that in hours, it's my money's worth. Particularly since I won't have to pay money for any future content, extending that playtime.

I mean, I'm going to see Captain Marvel this weekend for £15 for two hours. I easily dropped £40+ in a bar last night on drinks and food for five hours worth of fun. £35 for over one hundred really is pretty good, even if I would have liked to sink a lot more time on it than that.
That's my mentality, but in this case I spent $115 and couldn't even make it through the story mode. I've spent money for games I didn't like before and that is on me.

In this instance the game is categorically broken and incomplete so it should be on them. I don't think I've ever used fraudulent when referring to a game in my life before this.

I cannot see any reality where they will not cut their losses and drop this.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Sorry to ask for clarity, I'm new to the end-game and really haven't been heavily into Anthem gear-wise while waiting to hit it. Appreciate the help.

I have no legendaries, but currently have a mix of purple (epic?) and masterwork items equipped. Weapons both MW. Is this just tied to components, and if so is there a way to unequip the ones that are broken and negatively affecting things? Or is this tied to everything?

Not sure how I'd be able to unequip everything purple, I've been trashing everything I haven't been equipping bar MW's. The only MW focus seal I have is Chaotic Rime and it's barely doing anything damage-wise beyond freezing (which I can achieve better with a purple Ice Storm..).

Any help would be appreciated, it's really tedious to not only not have a stats screen to work with (or any numbers at all) but for then items to be of detriment too. What's even going on at this point.

Thank you, appreciate the tips.
Thanks to the utterly broken back end, stats are irrelevant. Inscriptions are irrelevant. Basically the way the scaling is done in this game, the vast majority of the damage you do and take is calculated off average gear score (NOT TOTAL), with boosts from gear and inscriptions only making a small difference. So if you equip only legendaries, regardless of stats, you get the damage and toughness of 75 gear score. If you equip anything else, your average and thus damage and toughness is reduced. Empty slots aren't counted. That's why epics are worthless as soon as you have one masterwork, and masterworks are useless as soon as you have one legendary. Having a legendary weapon is more important for ultimate damage, as apparently the scaling for that is based off weapons in some way.

Yes, it really is as silly and bad as it sounds. I imagine they'll band aid patch soon this so empty slots count but it really won't fix the overall problem.

Last edited:

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask for clarity, I'm new to the end-game and really haven't been heavily into Anthem gear-wise while waiting to hit it.

Any help would be appreciated, it's really tedious to not only have a stats screen to work with (any numbers at all!) but for then items to be of detriment and trying to work around that is awful.

If you want to unequip a slot you'll need to select a new default loadout and re-equip from there. My Storm loadout is a mix of Legendaries and Masterworks with the support slot intentionally left blank so I'm not being dragged down by an Epic, but according to the Reddit post I'd actually be more powerful if I equipped only Legendaries and left everything else blank. Unfortunately it's not certain pieces of gear that are broken, it's the system as a whole.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks to the utterly broken back end, stats are irrelevant. Inscriptions are irrelevant. Basically the way the scaling is done in this game, the vast majority of the damage you do and take is calculated off average gear score (NOT TOTAL), with boosts from gear and inscriptions only making a small difference. So if you equip only legendaries, regardless of stats, you get the damage and toughness of 71 gear score. If you equip anything else, your average and thus damage and toughness is reduced. Empty slots aren't counted. That's why epics are worthless as soon as you have one masterwork, and masterworks are useless as soon as you have one legendary. IIRC having a legendary weapon was more important for ultimate and maybe melee damage.

Yes, it really is as silly and bad as it sounds. I imagine they'll band aid patch soon this so empty slots count but it really won't fix the overall problem.
If you want to unequip a slot you'll need to select a new default loadout and re-equip from there. My Storm loadout is a mix of Legendaries and Masterworks with the support slot intentionally left blank so I'm not being dragged down by an Epic, but according to the Reddit post I'd actually be more powerful if I equipped only Legendaries and left everything else blank. Unfortunately it's not certain pieces of gear that are broken, it's the system as a whole.
What in the shit am I reading lol..

This is one of the most broken, backwards-ass things I've seen in a game. This should be its own thread lol, the entire framework of Anthem is fucked..

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017
Does this also affect your toughness or just damage output?

If this is true it skews a viable playstyle toward melee / high rpm output weapon classes... ..so basically colossus

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I cannot see any reality where they will not cut their losses and drop this.

I'm not sure I have any faith at this point that they have the know-how or time to turn this around. It would take a complete rework of very core damage and loot systems and producing a ton of new content on top of that. The extremely selfish part of me just wants them to cut bait and all hands on deck for Dragon Age 4.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

This is one of the most broken, backwards-ass things I've seen in a game. This should be its own thread lol, the entire framework of Anthem is fucked..

This problem came about by trying to apply a band aid to a broken loot and power situation. This is why there won't be any quick-fire fix (bar as Zastava says to probably count the empty slots as being present at 0) as it needs an entire rethink, a loot 2.0 situation, along with a progression 2.0 setup that complements it. And then some fucking content might be nice, too... lol.

Physical damage, so ultimates and melee are monsters. You will be very friagile if you only equip a handful of items, but there should be a happy point you can find to make it work... if you can be bothered - right now what's the point? What would it gain you even playing this game as is?

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017

If this is true it skews a viable playstyle toward melee / high rpm output weapon classes... ..so basically colossus

It effects the damage of your melee and ultimate, and maybe your guns? You'll have less armour and health but you become so OP it doesn't matter. Colossus and Interceptor have become VERY strong.

Cahill

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut, USA

Indeed. Along with shit like the health bug and nerf to high level drops in general... *smh*... the whole thing is pretty disheartening. I just reached end game recently like you, so I was able to let a lot of the issues go. Now iI'm thinking it may be time for a break.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Colossus and Interceptor have become VERY strong.
To all intents and purposes, Storm is utterly gimped on all fronts now. They get screwed out of taking any real advantage of the current knowledge. It semed bad for Storms yesterday when the news that power score progression resulted in effectively weaker shields, as Storm is all about that shield, but now with this stuff it's just.... laughing/crying.
Now iI'm thinking it may be time for a break.
Absolutely. Literally nobody should play this game right now if they're post-campaign and looking to gear up, it's utterly pointless. A hard chase for gimped loot drops for gear that makes you weaker.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This problem came about by trying to apply a band aid to a broken loot and power situation. This is why there won't be any quick-fire fix (bar as Zastava says to probably count the empty slots as being present at 0) as it needs an entire rethink, a loot 2.0 situation, along with a progression 2.0 setup that complements it. And then some fucking content might be nice, too... lol.
I'm sorry; I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Reading these accounts has gone from upsetting or frustrating to simply being disappointing and sobering.

Yup. The past week I've gone from thinking, "The foundation is solid, we just need 2-3 months to get the content there" to "The foundation is actually soft cheese and we have no idea what to do".

Fucking finally some actual new stuff:

xc2ch3gpv9m21.png
Oh shit, I wonder what that Welds material looks like.