• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So, dumb question I hope – does this any of this apply to the expedition consumables or the cosmetic rarities you apply/equip?

Just thought I'd check before trying out my Masterwork-Only 'Bugfix' Loadout on a Stronghold to see.
Didn't have anything for the support seal (all epic) and only two MW components so it will be interesting.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
It's killed all enthusiasm to play the game. Before I was taking the view, eh, I'm having a bit of fun and at least I can slowly improve my gear while farming coins for the future.

But now I'm just like, what is the point? This game is a long, long time away from being fixed and I have zero belief that now this has come out that the time and resources required will be given to Bioware so that they can do it.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
So, dumb question I hope – does this any of this apply to the expedition consumables or the cosmetic rarities you apply/equip?

Just thought I'd check before trying out my Masterwork-Only 'Bugfix' Loadout on a Stronghold to see.
Didn't have anything for the support seal (all epic) and only two MW components so it will be interesting.
Your consumables aren't counted in terms of gear score so presumably they'll give you a small but probably insignificant benefit for equipping.

Rilian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Bioware is going to need to bring in some expert help from outside the company if they want to fix this over the coming months. It seems they just don't have the in-house know-how to make a game like this. There are several aspects of this game that reveal that BioWare was just in over their heads and don't have the expertise. They really neeed to swallow their pride, contract some experts, and let those experts completely redesign the game's systems. If they (or EA) aren't willing to accept the cost to do this, I just don't think they have the capability to fix this game, and I can't see it turning around. What a massive disappointment.

Oct 30, 2017
Are the issues with gear why my interceptor with master works and epics gets one shotted every 30 seconds? Its higher level than my Ranger and it isn't very powerful. Even my abilities do no damage. My Ranger has no problems in battle.

How do you equip banners? I see that you can earn them but never saw where to equip them.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I don't think the genre really matters. If I get an hour of enjoyment for every £1 I spend on a game I count that as worth it. Considering I bought it for £35 and have probably played triple that in hours, it's my money's worth. Particularly since I won't have to pay money for any future content, extending that playtime.

I mean, I'm going to see Captain Marvel this weekend for £15 for two hours. I easily dropped £40+ in a bar last night on drinks and food for five hours worth of fun. £35 for over one hundred really is pretty good, even if I would have liked to sink a lot more time on it than that.

Genres set expectations. Though that might be the downfall of my argument. You go into games like GoW and you know you'll only get 20hrs of play time. But it's a different experience than 20hrs in fortnite or anthem.

I never understood the movie theater vs gaming comparisons. Sure, it's entertainment, but it's not the same thing. Same for going to a bar, or going out to dinner vs buying a game. Just because they both cost money and take up time doesn't mean they're comparable. I'm thinking of going to Canada for the F1 grand prix. It'll cost me a few K but I'll get to spend those 3 days with my best buds. I got 3k hours out of destiny for ~$200, does it mean it was money better spent ? Those $200 soccer cleats I used to buy as a kid that would only last me 4-5 games don't compare to a pair of chucks that will last me months of everyday use.

Oct 30, 2017
Bioware is going to need to bring in some expert help from outside the company if they want to fix this over the coming months. It seems they just don't have the in-house know-how to make a game like this. There are several aspects of this game that reveal that BioWare was just in over their heads and don't have the expertise. They really neeed to swallow their pride, contract some experts, and let those experts completely redesign the game's systems. If they (or EA) aren't willing to do this, I just don't think they have the capability to fix this game.

Yup, poor management tripping on ambition. I really hope they take lessons learned seriously when starting up DA4. They've let their success get in the way of producing quality games.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wow, that reddit post explains a lot of what I've been feeling and how I've gravitated to playing.

Colossus = prime with flamethrower or fire, then jump melee (jump is important) into the enemies for massive combo damage. Repeat. Weapons are completely useless.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's killed all enthusiasm to play the game. Before I was taking the view, eh, I'm having a bit of fun and at least I can slowly improve my gear while farming coins for the future.

But now I'm just like, what is the point? This game is a long, long time away from being fixed and I have zero belief that now this has come out that the time and resources required will be given to Bioware so that they can do it.

Exactly this.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this explains why the only answer from Bioware, post-patch, on the loot was "We are aware and everyone is looking at it right now" rather than tweaking a few drop rates. Maybe they know they're fucked now, too!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's even worse than that: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...rscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

There seems to be even more stupid design decision math going on behind that scenes that makes most loot literally useless. Unbelievable. I think this is worse than the level 1 defender post.

giphy.gif

Ok, it's even worse than I thought. In term of game development, it's the generation defining debacle, hands down. Desinstalling this shit.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I'm having a blast playing the game. But my enthusiasm is all but dead. There is going to be some patch that fucks EVERYTHING in the future. Ugh.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anthem/news/update-031519

In the latest server-side update, we've made some notable changes to the loot drop rate in specific scenarios, which will take effect immediately in a server-side tuning update (you will not need to download anything.)

These changes include:

Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I wonder if this is a desperation move from Bioware after that Reddit post about the scaling. Give people the more loot and reason to play GM2&3 they requested and hope it smooths over the scaling issue.

Spoiler: it won't. Who gives a shit about masterworks now?

Edit: A Bioware community rep responded to the scaling post saying it would be fixed in next patch. No details. Probably means they're just going to count empty slots in the average like I said earlier.

Last edited:

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
In the latest server-side update, we've made some notable changes to the loot drop rate in specific scenarios, which will take effect immediately in a server-side tuning update (you will not need to download anything.)

These changes include:

• Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
  • Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Titan, Epic Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Acid Ursix and Legendary Luminary Elder.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sold the game a few days ago and made $20 profit, enjoyed my time with it but the endgame simply doesn't have enough content and the loot is clearly a disaster due to poor drop rates and the fact that scaling is clearly an unmitigated disaster behind the scenes.

The gameplay systems of a Javelin are fantastic, but everything around that is just plain awful and after getting my Storm and Ranger to MW level and pulling teeth through GM2-3 I just didn't care anymore since there was just no rewarding feeling of doing the hardest content.

Not sure if today's patch will change that, but at this point I clearly don't care.

I would love to return once things get better, but for now I got 100+ hours of mostly enjoyment and ended up making money in the end.

Thanks Amazon Canada pre-order price error!

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome they say it'll be fixed soon, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It seems to me after reading that Reddit post and all the math involved that their behind the scenes scaling/damage/loot/health systems are all fundamentally broken.

I highly doubt we will see it all neatly fixed in one patch when the last patch was supposed to fix the level 1 defender issue and buff a lot of stuff. It seems to have just made things worse.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I sold the game a few days ago and made $20 profit, enjoyed my time with it but the endgame simply doesn't have enough content and the loot is clearly a disaster due to poor drop rates and the fact that scaling is clearly an unmitigated disaster behind the scenes.

Huh, just saw I'd get $30 for it at Best Buy. Hard to pass up considering whenever I return it'll likely be super cheap (and digital).

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I personally still really enjoy the game, although I don't play the game every single day due to work, and other games I might want to play. So personally I think it's really good despite all the silly bugs. I await eagerly for the new content coming for it.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
At least Heart of Rage SH on GM1 will be less likely to throw you in at the boss now. GM2 & GM3 HoR, with the buff to Titans and Furies, well that's the new endgame for now I'll bet. 2 chests, increased drop quality & 3 enemies that have a better chance of drops.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
This is disingenuous. The game is riddled with both 'silly' bugs, quite serious bugs and is fundamentally broken at worst or highly inept at best not to forget the lack of content.
It is fine to enjoy/have enjoyed playing Anthem but to call what is going on as"silly bugs" is giving BioWare a pass that they absolutely do not deserve.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
This is disingenuous. The game is riddled with both 'silly' bugs, quite serious bugs and is fundamentally broken at worst or highly inept at best not to forget the lack of content.
It is fine to enjoy/have enjoyed playing Anthem but to call what is going on as"silly bugs" is giving BioWare a pass that they absolutely do not deserve.

I mean...the worst bug was the PS4 shutting down one...everything else to me is silly. They've fixed the PS4 shutting down issue, which admittedly shouldn't of happen in the first place. Everything else is something that might test your patience, but so far it hasn't been that serious to me, but again I don't play every day.

Although when I do have long sessions I have a great time with my squad, I enjoyed the story, and I think the gameplay is extremely fun...so yeah I stand by my statement.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Edit: A Bioware community rep responded to the scaling post saying it would be fixed in next patch. No details. Probably means they're just going to count empty slots in the average like I said earlier.

Yep. A follow up post stated that's all it will do. Divide by the number of unlocked slots including empty ones.

Spoke with the designer on this so I understand how it's being "fixed".

Instead of using how many items you actually have equipped, the calculation will be done by how many slots you have unlocked. This means at level 30, for example, your average power score will be divided by 11 even if you have empty weapon/gear/component slots.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A follow up post stated that's all it will do. Divide by the number of unlocked slots including empty ones.
... This should have been the obvious way to do it from the start. It's like they are having a single programmer come up with solutions and just patching them in without even being looked at once

Craiji

May 26, 2018
The Health bug is so bad, and I am pretty pissed there is no definitive timeline on a fix. I was carrying a friend who just started, and now we are both pretty useless now that he has the bug too. It is not only armor, but shields as well.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wish there was an option to not join a current game. Frustrating to get matchmade into those when you want a full run.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I did a few of those Legendary Contracts solo in Grandmaster 1...crazy difficult...enemies can kill you with 1 or 2 shots...they should give you some bonus or guaranteed Legendary drop for completing them solo

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
what's the health bug?

Sometimes you'll load into a mission and be incredibly fragile, as if you've hardly any shields/armour. Enemies that would normally only do minor damage to your shield are suddenly able to demolish you in a few shots. It was brought up in the last livestream as a UI only bug, but was later clarified via Twitter that it isn't just UI and does effect gameplay. It's not related to the bug that will sometimes show just a few segments of armour and sometimes a billion.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I did a few of those Legendary Contracts solo in Grandmaster 1...crazy difficult...enemies can kill you with 1 or 2 shots...they should give you some bonus or guaranteed Legendary drop for completing them solo
Your initial forays into GM will be rough, but with the components you get from those contracts it'll become easier.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes you'll load into a mission and be incredibly fragile, as if you've hardly any shields/armour. Enemies that would normally only do minor damage to your shield are suddenly able to demolish you in a few shots. It was brought up in the last livestream as a UI only bug, but was later clarified via Twitter that it isn't just UI and does effect gameplay. It's not related to the bug that will sometimes show just a few segments of armour and sometimes a billion.

so it only effects certain missions/strongholds?...it's not a universal bug that is in effect all the time?

Your initial forays into GM will be rough, but with the components you get from those contracts it'll become easier.

yeah that's what I'm hoping...I also think they are meant to be played with a group...I can't imagine Grandmaster 3 will ever be manageable solo no matter how good your gear is...the way enemies track you with weapon fire and surround you can be brutal