• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not much. My plan is to revisit it around September time, before the big end of year games drop, and if there's nothing to see then that will be that.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean the chat bubble on the map, then no. I still have that one, Yani and Dax on he map.
I don't think so. The issue I have is that when I approach him, he starts to talk and then disappears. There is chat bubble for him on the map, though, and if I bring up the map, I can see it appear and disappear before my eyes.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I don't think so. The issue I have is that when I approach him, he starts to talk and then disappears. There is chat bubble for him on the map, though, and if I bring up the map, I can see it appear and disappear before my eyes.
I had this for a while in the early days but usually it would stop happening if I waited a minute or two and then I could have the conversation.

On what's happening generally, I think now it's being handed off to Austin the schedule is going to be one bug fix patch a month, which we had last Monday, and one content patch in the second half of the month. No idea what's going to be in the next one in a week or two since they essentially junked the roadmap and have yet to give details on timescale. I know why they've gone radio silent - they don't want to make promises and not keep them yet again, but I think this is a mistake. They should be giving regular updates on what's coming next, even if they don't give specific release dates.

I think Cataclysms are going to be in the big patch next month, IIRC Ryan Central has been invited to some sort of Anthem event at EA Play in early June. I can't think what else they could be showing off.

And oh, if any ranger players want the heavy soldier looking set from the fall of Freemark cinematic it's finally in the in-game store this weekend.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
So complete radio silence then huh.

RIP Ironman simulator. You deserved better.
It's not total radio silence - a couple of the devs have mentioned on twitter that the team's main focus is on Cataclysms at the moment. It's just not nearly enough info. What's happening with the things pushed back from the April update? Guilds? The mastery system? Leaderboards?

I would hazard a guess they've decided Cataclysms are a bit of a make or break moment for them. If they can pull off something special then that would go a long way to showing the player base the game is worth sticking with while they fix it. If this is the case, I think it's pretty understandable, but they really need to talk about what's going on. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a TWAB for the game even if it's light on specifics would do a lot of good on the PR front.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I was extremely excited for cataclysms and all the updates coming to the game. Then April happened. Really hard to get hyped at this point

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not hyped at all. My expectations are non-existent at this point. It'll get fixed or it won't. C'est la vie.
tenor.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Currently only level 12 and I am impressed with the people that have stuck with this game at higher levels given how poor the loot pool is in this game. Shit, just bring over and remodel some of the ME:A weapons and drop those into the loot pool. How could they think that 5 basic class of weapons (sniper, LMG, AR, SMG, and marksman) with little variation in terms of design or stats could be enough to sustain a GaaS? When a higher level LMG does literally 1 extra DPS than the one you already have equipped, something is wrong.

I am trying...trying to give this game every benefit of the doubt that I can but jfc did Bioware shoot themselves in the foot.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Currently only level 12 and I am impressed with the people that have stuck with this game at higher levels given how poor the loot pool is in this game. Shit, just bring over and remodel some of the ME:A weapons and drop those into the loot pool. How could they think that 5 basic class of weapons (sniper, LMG, AR, SMG, and marksman) with little variation in terms of design or stats could be enough to sustain a GaaS? When a higher level LMG does literally 1 extra DPS than the one you already have equipped, something is wrong.

I am trying...trying to give this game every benefit of the doubt that I can but jfc did Bioware shoot themselves in the foot.
It's not as bad as all that, though I agree it needs more variety. There's 9 weapon classes, each with 3 varieties with various range, damage, rate of fire, recoil, explosive rounds etc. It's likely you're comparing a lower level high damage LMG with a higher level low damage high rate of fire LMG. The classes are:

Assault Rifles
Autocannons (Colossus only)
Grenade Launchers (Colossus only)
Heavy Pistols
LMGs
Machine Pistols (presume this is what you meant by SMG)
Marksman Rifle
Shotguns
Sniper Rifle

The differences become more pronounced when you hit level 25 and start picking up masterwork/legendary weapons, each of which has a unique effect like reloading on melee, a lightning/fire/freeze/explosive proc, setting off combos, increased damage on dashing, increased weak-point damage while hovering etc. A few new weapons have been datamined too, possibly a beam weapon and some other kind of explosive thing? I forget the details.

Oct 30, 2017
It's not as bad as all that, though I agree it needs more variety. There's 9 weapon classes, each with 3 varieties with various range, damage, rate of fire, recoil, explosive rounds etc. It's likely you're comparing a lower level high damage LMG with a higher level low damage high rate of fire LMG. The classes are:

Assault Rifles
Autocannons (Colossus only)
Grenade Launchers (Colossus only)
Heavy Pistols
LMGs
Machine Pistols (presume this is what you meant by SMG)
Marksman Rifle
Shotguns
Sniper Rifle

The differences become more pronounced when you hit level 25 and start picking up masterwork/legendary weapons, each of which has a unique effect like reloading on melee, a lightning/fire/freeze/explosive proc, setting off combos, increased damage on dashing, increased weak-point damage while hovering etc. A few new weapons have been datamined too, possibly a beam weapon and some other kind of explosive thing? I forget the details.
Thanks for the additional information! Gives me a better understanding of how Anthem intends to unfold as you level up.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It's not total radio silence - a couple of the devs have mentioned on twitter that the team's main focus is on Cataclysms at the moment. It's just not nearly enough info. What's happening with the things pushed back from the April update? Guilds? The mastery system? Leaderboards?

I would hazard a guess they've decided Cataclysms are a bit of a make or break moment for them. If they can pull off something special then that would go a long way to showing the player base the game is worth sticking with while they fix it. If this is the case, I think it's pretty understandable, but they really need to talk about what's going on. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a TWAB for the game even if it's light on specifics would do a lot of good on the PR front.

But I thought they were pushing the Cataclysms to fix the loot?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Came to check in to see if there was any updates, the last post was a week ago... So I assume not?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Was thinking about picking this up on a lark since it's $20 at Target, but the lack of activity in this thread... yikes

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this situation has been handled far worse than I ever really imagined. BW ended up painting themselves as blame-gamey chickenshits with no idea what they're doing.

And yeah, I can't recommend the game at any price point, simply because the future feels like a huge question mark, regardless of what their brass claims.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah I didn't think they would handle this situation well, but their actions or lack of actions has even surprised me with how horrible it has been handled. It makes the Fallout 76 launch look good in comparison.
fwiw I think bethesda has gotten fo76 is a good place now, I don't see that happening with anthem. I picked up fo76 a few months ago and over 100 hours in it I have had a great time, they continue to add interesting content and I haven't really experienced any issues.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I figured the launch would be bumpy and it would take a few patches to get to a good place, but never would I have imagined what this game would look like 3 months in.

My biggest disappointment this gen.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the launch would be bumpy and it would take a few patches to get to a good place, but never would I have imagined what this game would look like 3 months in.

My biggest disappointment this gen.
It's such a shame. Probably the biggest case of squandered potential I can think of. The core gameplay is amazing and unique. There's nothing like it.

And the rest...well...we all know about the rest.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a shame. Probably the biggest case of squandered potential I can think of. The core gameplay is amazing and unique. There's nothing like it.

And the rest...well...we all know about the rest.
Wish I saw it the same way.

That expose article showed that the game presented at e3 was vaporware, Anthem was pretty much fraud and it annoys me that they profited from it.

It's clear from the launch that this was the only outcome.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Ha, I was walking past a Gamestop on my way back to my car after visiting Target, and a guy angrily stormed out, crumpled a game into bits, and heaved it into a bin. Curious, I looked in after he huffed away, and looked in to see Anthem. I wanted to rescue it, but the disc was literally in pieces. Figured I'd look for the OT to see what the deal is, but I wonder if Gamestop isn't accepting copies of it? Or if maybe this location had too many or something? It was pretty funny, but a little sad too.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Last edited:

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone - does anyone know a way to find corium in this current state of the game? Myself and two friends have been slowly working our way through the game, and we have reached the part where we need to craft the Dawn Shield to continue. Myself and one friend have all three corium needed, and were able to craft without issue. My other friend, who has played every mission with us, somehow did not acquire the third corium needed - so we have spent probably five or six hours playing freeplay trying to get a titan to spawn. However, all the guides reference the titan events from back in March, and it doesn't appear any of the spawn locations are accurate anymore.

So does anyone have any tips to get the one final piece needed for my friend?

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Wait, Ben Irving really said that "Luck was misunderstood by the community" ?

If true, I never witnessed devs willing to put so blatantly blame on the players... Incredible.
This is being a bit unfair to Ben. I watched the stream and I understood that's not what he was saying.

His response in that thread:

Ben Irving said:
I really didn't mean it that way. I meant that it was complicated, and we made it complicated. You all didn't like it so we removed it.
So to be clear, luck was a bad idea, it was our bad idea so we removed it.

The AtG reddit continues to be a circle jerk of mindless negativity and nobody should ever read it. I had a look this morning for the first time in months to see how it was responding to the stream and it was as bad as ever, and a quick scan at the previous few pages from before the stream were the same.

As to Cataclysms, the great last hope, it looks... ok? It looks like it could be a fun mode with some replayable value with the point scoring. New unique loot and cosmetics is nice. Anyone being able to do it is also good since raids are traditionally only played by a very small % of a game's player base. It's also not exactly world shattering, and it's also clear that this thing they've been hyping up for years, first as shaper storms and now as cataclysms, was something that they had no idea what it actually was until recently.

What wasn't clear was the longevity. They said 2 weeks build up, 6 weeks of the Catatclysm itself and then...??? They made it sound like it would be going away after that, but then Jesse Anderson hinted on twitter that it wasn't going away but being transformed into something else, I don't know, it's vague as fuck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I missed that luck was being removed. That's a good change as it will allow just focusing builds on utility rather than using shit with no useful perks for your build to up droprates.

Not sure how much more we'll play as my buddy and I plan to play the Borderlands pre-sequel as we missed that and it's free on PS+ next week. Assuming I can keep playing after surgery to repair a torn biceps tendon Friday anyway. That would eat up most of my coop gaming time until Borderlands 3.

I'm sure we'll at least checkout the cataclysm.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I missed that luck was being removed. That's a good change as it will allow just focusing builds on utility rather than using shit with no useful perks for your build to up droprates.

Not sure how much more we'll play as my buddy and I plan to play the Borderlands pre-sequel as we missed that and it's free on PS+ next week. Assuming I can keep playing after surgery to repair a torn biceps tendon Friday anyway. That would eat up most of my coop gaming time until Borderlands 3.

I'm sure we'll at least checkout the cataclysm.
Yep luck being removed and max luck being the new baseline is a great change, it was annoying to have to use a suboptimal build just so you'd get better drops. It being replaced by armour on items that already have it is nice too, always a useful thing to have more of.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish we could get a refund for this game because the "continued free support and expansions is a major part of the purchasing price" lie peddled by bioware (and posters in this thread that discouraged any criticism of the game under the banner of "YOU'LL GET MORE CONTENT TOO!")... alas, here we are...

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This is being a bit unfair to Ben. I watched the stream and I understood that's not what he was saying.

His response in that thread:

The AtG reddit continues to be a circle jerk of mindless negativity and nobody should ever read it. I had a look this morning for the first time in months to see how it was responding to the stream and it was as bad as ever, and a quick scan at the previous few pages from before the stream were the same.

As to Cataclysms, the great last hope, it looks... ok? It looks like it could be a fun mode with some replayable value with the point scoring. New unique loot and cosmetics is nice. Anyone being able to do it is also good since raids are traditionally only played by a very small % of a game's player base. It's also not exactly world shattering, and it's also clear that this thing they've been hyping up for years, first as shaper storms and now as cataclysms, was something that they had no idea what it actually was until recently.

What wasn't clear was the longevity. They said 2 weeks build up, 6 weeks of the Catatclysm itself and then...??? They made it sound like it would be going away after that, but then Jesse Anderson hinted on twitter that it wasn't going away but being transformed into something else, I don't know, it's vague as fuck.

yes, i just got to that point in the stream and he didn't blame anyone. Just basically said it wasn't thought out well, the community didn't like it, and so we removed it.

I'm actually re-installing right now, despite lack of content Anthem gameplay wise is still the greatest in terms of all the looter shooters. I can't get enough blasting shit and flying around. Reading all the QoL updates should make this new play through more enjoyable.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Man, I wish we could get a refund for this game because the "continued free support and expansions is a major part of the purchasing price" lie peddled by bioware (and posters in this thread that discouraged any criticism of the game under the banner of "YOU'LL GET MORE CONTENT TOO!")... alas, here we are...
lol what are you talking about. Literally 90% of this thread is critical of the game after the first couple of days. And how is it a lie that expansions and support will be free? So far that's true. The game launched buggy as shit, half finished and light on content no doubt, but they've been releasing a bug fix or content patch every 2-3 weeks since launch and look like they're going to continue to do so. It's not nearly enough yet to make up for the shoddy state at launch and it won't be for a good while, but it's still happening.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still check this thread periodically to see if I have missed any major announcements. I always come away disappointed. So much potential just shit away, goddamn. I guess they can still fix things but the playerbase...