• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
8 GB is pretty low. Do you have Afterburner to see what the bottleneck is? RAM is pretty "cheap" right now if you have two extra slots.
I played for about an hour with Afterburner and nothing is really bottlenecking. I'm still probably gonna look into getting more RAM but I'm attributing it to a game problem rather than a hardware problem.

I noticed once I went exclusive fullscreen though I gained a couple more frames and it was hitting 60FPS a bit more consistently but not where I want it yet, in battle I'm still dropping down to the mid 40's. I'm gonna keep on playing and hope the patch they have on the actual launch date will fix up some of the performance issues I'm having.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm having some graphical glitches. In actual gameplay I've noticed the skybox flickering a lot and sometimes in Fort Tarsis when I go up to my Javelin to launch an expedition there is sometimes two Javelins there overlapping each other.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
PC newb here - can someone explain this to me:

I was playing borderless and struggling to maintain 30FPS at 4K, but I switched to full screen, suddenly it went into HDR mode and I got a +10 FPS boost.

I thought HDR would be a lot more system intensive?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

I was playing borderless and struggling to maintain 30FPS at 4K, but I switched to full screen, suddenly it went into HDR mode and I got a +10 FPS boost.

I think when you're playing borderless/windowed, your PC still has to devote resources to your background apps as you can switch focus back and forth easily. Full screen devotes more resources to the game as you probably aren't going to shift focus (and why it might take longer to alt tab out)

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Here are my first impressions with my somewhat humble, aging rig. I'm very impressed so far. This is only after 20 mins of play. NOTE: Member texhnolyze said I shouldn't judge performance on the tutorial areas and that the real test is after you reach Fort Tarsis. Here they are anyway:

i7 3770 / 980 Ti / 16GB DDR3 / SSD

Using RTSS to cap at 60 fps. Not even using the latest drivers. With the High preset @ 1080p, getting a very solid 60fps throughout the entire crazy intro with all those effects and explosions going off and during the flying segment after. Only a few drops to ~57 fps, but I can most likely get a 60 fps lock if I drop a few settings down or install latest drivers. Game looks incredible. Not noticing micro stutter, but I'll report back after more play time.

Last edited:

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
What could I expect on 5820k @ 4ghz, 16gb RAM and a Strix 980Ti @ 1440p? Like for 60fps what sort of mix of settings would I look at?

Friend reaaally wants me to get it to play with him

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game runs like such booty on my gtx 1060 no matter what I do. Even when it reports the FPS is above 60 it still feels stuttery and choppy. Not sure I can hang.

During intense action it frequently drops into the 30s. If it's this bad on a 1060 how do they have this working on base consoles...

Oct 26, 2017

You should't obtain a 10 fps boost from going from borderless to fullscreen. That indicates this game has some incompatibility with borderless.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Game runs like such booty on my gtx 1060 no matter what I do. Even when it reports the FPS is above 60 it still feels stuttery and choppy. Not sure I can hang.

During intense action it frequently drops into the 30s. If it's this bad on a 1060 how do they have this working on base consoles...
The frame pacing felt smooth as butter to me with my humble setup. If your frames are reading 60, it should not feel stuttery. Maybe use RTSS to manually cap at 60 fps like I did? Also, try the Medium preset if you're dropping into the 30's.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

It's very CPU intensive. Monitor the loads and you'll see.

Here are my first impressions with my somewhat humble, aging rig. I'm very impressed so far. This is only after 20 mins of play.

i7 3770 / 980 Ti / 16GB DDR3 / SSD

Using RTSS to cap at 60 fps. Not even using the latest drivers. With the High preset @ 1080p, getting a very solid 60fps throughout the entire crazy intro with all those effects and explosions going off and during the flying segment after. Only a few drops to ~57 fps, but I can most likely get a 60 fps lock if I drop a few settings down or install latest drivers. Game looks incredible. Not noticing micro stutter, but I'll report back after more play time.
You should not judge the game's performance from the tutorial missions. They're set in closed, special zones that has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

Come back after you reach Fort Tarsis and do more missions from there.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017

You should not judge the game's performance from the tutorial missions. They're set in closed, special zones that has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

True, good to know. Just wanted to drop my quick first impressions and the intro seemed crazy enough with all the explosions. I'll edit my post with your suggestion.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Particles effects going off cause big drops for me, even on low. If I'm standing next to a mob as everyone is hitting it my frame rate plummets on a GTX 1080 :/

Oct 27, 2017
Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.18GHz (Goes up to 4.6GHz under load)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Memory 32GB DDR4

Running in 1080p on an Acer Predator XB241h I'm getting terrific performance on all Ultra settings. 70+ fps in Fort Tarsis, 85+ fps outside. No tech issues yet other than having a hard time connecting to the game in the first 5 minutes after launch.

Very cool game!

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All ultra except: Motion Blur, Depth of Field, Chromatic bullshit, and post processing on low (to remove the blur completely)

i7 3960x 4.3Ghz (old cpu)
32gb DDR3 ram
1080ti
1440p, ultrawide

80-90 closed area
70-80 open area
60-70-80 fort tarsis

Runs pretty good, game is a very nice looking, runs better than the demo

Vertical Sync a must for me in tarsis

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I was getting 60+ frames steady from the tutorial missions on Ultra but in the actual expetitions I was only getting mid 40's on Medium.

I'm really hoping the reason I can't reach 60 isn't because of my CPU :'(

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
If the console is enabled, press tilde (~) and type WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
How do you enable console? I'm struggling over here trying to keep 60fps

9600k 1070 at 1440p.
TAA
AO off
Texture high
Texture filtering med
Mesh med
Lighting med
Effects med
Post processing low
Terrain med
Vegetation med

Definitely performing worse for me compared t the alpha and demo.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Ok, a few things. I can't change my display resolution. It's fixed at 3440x1440. I can change the hz but that's all. There's no resolution scaler either. Which is almost unheard of in most AAA games. Also the game supports Sli (2x1080ti). The demo and the beta before did not. This does lead to better performance but not by a great deal. I can get up-to 100fps in Tarsis (in the demo I could barely hit 50) but out in the world it'll fluctuate between high 50's to mid to high 70's. It usually hits 65-ish. This is with everything max. Unfortunately Sli leads to nasty flickering which can only be solved by turning post-processing down to low. Even then there might be some flicker. With one card the flicker seems absent but i have to have lighting, post-processing and effects at medium/high to get near to Sli performance. That said I would expect a little more from Sli as neither card goes above 80% usage.
CPU seems fine ([email protected]). Only real graphical issues I've seen are flickering shadows/lod at both Sli and single card.
So not bad performance but not stellar either.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Thanks!

Edit: how do I enable the console?
How do you enable console? I'm struggling over here trying to keep 60fps

9600k 1070 at 1440p.
TAA
AO off
Texture high
Texture filtering med
Mesh med
Lighting med
Effects med
Post processing low
Terrain med
Vegetation med

Definitely performing worse for me compared t the alpha and demo.
You can't. I figured you could since all other Frostbite games allow it. I couldn't even get the game to load a custom config with the performance overlay being the only command.

But there is a motion blur option in the graphics settings menu.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
This was what happened on Sli with post-processing on.
DH4c26d.jpg

Like something out of Silent Hill.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
You should't obtain a 10 fps boost from going from borderless to fullscreen. That indicates this game has some incompatibility with borderless.

It def has issues. Game was suddenly locking me down to some lower frames or something and lowering my GPU usage to a lower % and flipping between borderless and full screen or vice versa would fix it and get me back my lost 10fps. Never seen a game do that before lol.

The game is weird, it's like it has vsync (with no triple buffering) on when it's not even enabled? The game seems to lock me into 60fps or when it bugs out, down to 30fps and that's when I had to switch between full screen/borderless to kick it back to normal.

Gonna restart the game and see if it was a one time thing.

ANYWHO, on an RTX 2080 when the game isn't being silly I was getting 40-50fps on 4K Ultra. And at 1440p it was seemingly locked at 60fps but I didn't play much since I was on my lunch break hehe

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
You can't. I figured you could since all other Frostbite games allow it. I couldn't even get the game to load a custom config with the performance overlay being the only command.

But there is a motion blur option in the graphics settings menu.
I know. But this setting doesn`t remove it completely. Setting "post processing" to low disables motion blur but, of course, disables other effects, too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
When I connect to my b7 oled I get the dolby vision notice but a black screen no picture wtf?? Any way to fix this?

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
9700K, 2060, 16gb ram. I play at 1080p Gsync. 80-90 fps through the tutorial with everything on ultra, turned off the fps counter when i got to fort tarsis. guess i'll turn it back on when i start the first mission after you get there.

I'm playing with a ps4 controller and everything is buttery smooth. really enjoying the game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
i7-8700K (stock)
RTX 2070 - 417.71 drivers (for Apex Legends crashing issue), +100/+800 OC in Afterburner
16GB DDR4
1080p/144Hz/Ultra settings

GPU Usage around 90-100%, CPU usage around 50-60%.

Was getting around 90-120fps in the tutorial missions, 80-100 in Fort Tarsis, and 90-110 in non-combat areas of the first real mission and 75-90 during combat. Seems pretty good for not having the Game Ready drivers installed.

Game plays like absolute shit with a mouse, though. I normally browse the desktop and play games at 1600dpi and I had to drop all the way to 400dpi to find a value on the in-game sensitivity slider that even remotely resembles what I'm used to for other shooters (15%), and even then it's still not great (especially for navigating menus with the mouse pointer at that DPI). Swimming is just awful, with the camera rocking up and down like crazy, almost making me nauseous.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Game runs poorly at 4k, no way it seems to hit 60 FPS on a 1080 Ti and it doesn't have resolution scaling for some reason. Would have worked well at 80% ;p. Having to run it at 1440p ultra, will see if it maintains 60 fps.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game runs poorly at 4k, no way it seems to hit 60 FPS on a 1080 Ti and it doesn't have resolution scaling for some reason. Would have worked well at 80% ;p. Having to run it at 1440p ultra, will see if it maintains 60 fps.
Resolution scaling works if you add this line in the config file (\Documents\BioWare\Anthem\settings\ProfileOptions_profile) :
Code:
GstRender.ResolutionScale 0.800000

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I am having some rough luck with this.

1080ti stock
8700k stock
32GB DDR4

I keep freezing and getting DirectX errors and then I am seeing artifact squares while I am sitting on the desktop. Changed drivers, wiped the drivers clean, etc. My temps seem to be fine so I am not sure, my card must be getting ready to die.

Last edited:

jmelons

Oct 31, 2017
This game is going to finally retire my 2500k. Everything set to low on a 970 @ 1080p and struggling to get past 40 fps in most situations.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution scaling works if you add this line in the config file (\Documents\BioWare\Anthem\settings\ProfileOptions_profile) :
Code:
Sweet, thanks just what I needed! Used 80% rendering + most settings on high except for Textures and Texture Filtering at Ultra and it is 60 FPS now, but I need to try multiple areas to make sure I don't get many dips.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Also I'm having some graphical glitches. In actual gameplay I've noticed the skybox flickering a lot and sometimes in Fort Tarsis when I go up to my Javelin to launch an expedition there is sometimes two Javelins there overlapping each other.

I was having something similar but it was in the title screen as well. I discovered that the game does not SLI being engaged. As soon as I turned off SLI all the graphical issues disappeared. From what I heard the drivers have the SLI bits to make it work, but the game does not as of yet. On one of the streams they said SLI will be supported but not right now. So if you have a SLI set up, turn it off and this may solve that problem.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Anywhere from 70-110 during action with a 9700k and 2080. Feels smooth the whole time using freesync (range is 57-144hz) so it's not going below or above those boundaries.

Jan 4, 2018
RTX 2060
i7-8700
16gb RAM

Game runs at a relatively stable 60fps at 1440p w/o V-sync, with dips as low as the mid 40s briefly during effect heavy moments such as power usage. Almost consistently runs at 60fps at 1080p w/ V-sync, with dips into the mid 50s during effects. Framerate stays in the 70s at 1080p w/o V-sync. Ultra settings on everything.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
high. should i drop to even medium? would it drastically make it look worse?
I figured you had them on Ultra, from what I've seen with Frostbite titles High and below all look and perform the same, it's the Ultra setting that's really heavy. The 3 big hitters are Effects during combat or areas with lots of smoke/fog, Shadows, and Post Processing whenever depth of field is displayed.

Everything else doesn't seem to have much of an impact unless you're severely cpu limited.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
when i try to play this on my b7 oled i get the dolby vision tag, then a black screen with game audio, any fix?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
So i noticed when I alt tabbed that my swap usage was at 90% and my hdd is constantly grinding as i'm playing. Isnt swap usage virtual memory? Dont I only use that when I run out of ram?

I have 16gb so I dunno whats going on.

Edit: also takes me a good two or three minutes to load into a game.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Code:
Sweet thank you, Using Resolution Scale of 90% I have a locked 60fps at 4k with my 2080ti and 2700k with everything on max but lighting and post processing at high, at native 4k it was mostly but would get some noticeable frame drops in open world.
at 90% scale looks pretty much the same as native on my 65"