• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Hmm. Using v-sync in CP halves the refresh rate. Knocks it down to 50hz instead of 100hz. In game v-sync keeps it at 100hz (off in both leads to severe tearing). Pretty sure I just have triple buffering on in CP.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
the hdr is so broken.

can't disable it. works ok at 1080p and 4k, but totally broken at 1440p.

EDIT: i7 4790k and a 1070ti plays the intro missions at 1080p 60fps well. I can't try 1440p because the hdr makes my entire screen pink.
Do other games play ok in 1440p and HDR? I am uncertain if HDR supports 1440p. I know HDR doesn't support custom resolutions.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
the game is at least stable on High at 1080p (i7 4790k 1070ti), but the image quality is poor because of it. Leaves a lot to be desired, but I'll leave it for now and actually play the game til 1440 gets fixed.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a little research it seems like this might be good, and something I could reuse if I do a new build down the road?
EVGA Supernova G3 750W

Sorry for the slightly off topic question, but this is the first game that's done this to my PC.
Yes and yes. I have an EVGA GQ 850W, but G3s are even better and 750W is plenty.

Last edited:

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ryzen 1600x
16gb RAM
GTX 1060 8gb

Game is really slow loading, glitchy, whole sections of that Hub don't even load, its a mess

bwadley87

Jan 12, 2019
My build is definitely a bit long in the tooth, but I haven't seen performance this bad on a new game in a while.

i5 3570k (just meets the minimum rec, I know)
8gb RAM
EVGA 1070

It's not even just that I can't get a solid framerate with everything turned down at 1080p (I have a 1440p gsync monitor) but a lot of weird netcode-y stuff. Really bad input lag, rubberbanding, and quest steps not triggering for 10-15 seconds after dialogue. The intro sections, where I was by myself, were consistently 60-75fps. Game is really not enjoyable at all to play in its current state, will be curious to see if that changes on official launch.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
they need to fix a lot. even if i slam settings to low or medium, targeting a stable 60fps is a crapshoot. HDR is one of many problems.
Had read there are more fixes before full launch next week such as an HDR toggle. Looks like Early Access players have the short end of the stick.
An Sli fix would be nice, though uncertain if it's the game or the Driver.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
What settings are worth reducing without much visual impact, I'm getting 55 fps on average on maximum at 4k but as I play on a tv with vsync I need around 65fps if possible.

I did the 1st bit at 2560x1600 but that is over kill as I was hitting 100fps

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How is the game running for people with a GTX 1060 at 1080p?

edit: welp, saw that post above.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Is there a site that shows the different settings in detail? Not just the overall low/med/high/ultra but every single one? I mean I could do it myself but eh.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Not being able to run in full screen HDR "still" stories are troubling as is the inconsistent fps stories.

I hope it's resolved by the 22nd.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
So is there no way to disable HDR in fullscreen mode? The HDR I think looks nice at times but it's practically making my eyes bleed.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ugh no matter what i do decent framerate at 1440p seems impossible on my 1070. id have to drop to 1080p and thats not the native res of my monitor.

BurningNad

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Ryzen 1600 at 3.5Ghz and a 970. 16GB RAM. I'm struggling to get 60 fps at 1080p with everything turned off and on low. What could be the problem?

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth there isn't a resolution scale in a modern Frostbite game?
Thank Nvidia for that. Anthem is a pack in for new Nvidia cards. I'm sure a Nvidia PR person or engineer told the Dev team that it would be a shame if an easy to use alternative to DLSS was easily accessible in game, ie, using resolution scaling at 80%, we need to push more new Nvidia card sales (and in turn more sales of Anthem). In fact, 80% resolution scaling looks more sharp than DLSS in existing games that use it so Nvidia doesn't want the superior option available in game. At least we can edit the INI file to give us the 80% resolution scaling.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
'
Thank Nvidia for that. Anthem is a pack in for new Nvidia cards. I'm sure a Nvidia PR person or engineer told the Dev team that it would be a shame if an easy to use alternative to DLSS was easily accessible in game, ie, using resolution scaling at 80%, we need to push more new Nvidia card sales (and in turn more sales of Anthem). In fact, 80% resolution scaling looks more sharp than DLSS in existing games that use it so Nvidia doesn't want the superior option available in game. At least we can edit the INI file to give us the 80% resolution scaling.

I'm still rocking an OC'ed GTX1080 @4K and setting resolution scale to 80 works just perfect for modern Frostbite titles. Does the game resets INI file everytime we open the game or is it permanent?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I can't run this game at 60 locked, only when I put everything on low. Also, this game looks trash on medium. Too bad.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This game needs adaptive resolution scaling. Apex legends has it and i occasionally dip below 60 on a 1070 at 1440p so it smooths it out by lowering the res just a tad.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
'

I'm still rocking an OC'ed GTX1080 @4K and setting resolution scale to 80 works just perfect for modern Frostbite titles. Does the game resets INI file everytime we open the game or is it permanent?
It's permanent when put in the ini. I'm still trying to figure out what settings to use. 80% resolution scaling looks great with a 1080 Ti and Ryzen 2700x and performs well in the initial missions, but once you get to the multiplayer, it drops below 60. Either I have to go with 75% resolution scaling (not nearly as nice) or try some settings at medium - I think lighting, post processing, and effects are the big culprits? I have Texture+Texture filtering at Ultra and rest at high, although I think I could probably put environment/plants at Ultra without much if any affect on frame rate.

I also have to figure out what's going on with my 1080 Ti. Maybe it was the installation of new drivers, but for some reason it was running closer to 1900 instead of 2000 MHz for the core and the CPU was running at 4.1-4.3Ghz, but then later on seemed to be primarily running at 3.9 Ghz. Dunno if it got confused with the city area where it doesn't use as much CPU/GPU and then in missions it forgot to step either up?

Also, does HDR affect frame rates? I know in a few games, it would cost like 5 FPS, which could be critical in a game like Anthem at 4k and trying to maintain 60 FPS (while other games it doesn't affect frame rate at all).

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
even on high this game struggle really hard to maintain 60 fps, in open zone with combat the framerate go down in the 30ish...
do i really have to play this game on medium for an acceptable framerate?

the performance for me are the same as the demo unfortunately.

also why i can't disable the washed out hdr of this game with a proper ingame option?

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ok need a little help here cause I'm not sure what the issue is. I have an issue (aside from the long loading times) where the assets of the game take forever to load in once I'm actually playing. Whether I'm out in the open world or in the Tarsis; floors, walls, npcs, etc always take a good couple seconds to load in. Out in the world it's more irritating since I see people shooting at things that arent there or me losing health and going down to enemies that havent even loaded in yet. I've done a clean install of my graphics driver (418.91) and I've even lowered all the settings down to low to see if that would effect it but no avail.

i7 4970k
RTX 2070
16GB Ram
Running game at 1440p (tried 1080p and still the same thing)

Any help would be appreciated, driving myself crazy.
Are you running this on an HDD or SSD?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
God, I really hate the memes about AMD Drivers being total crap because Nvidia drivers are beyond frustrating the last few years. I installed the newest Nvidia drivers for Anthem and I've gotten two video driver crashes the yesterday and today, of course I was nearly done with various missions when it happened so I'll have to replay it. Back to 417.01 I go.. Plus, the newer drivers have weird issues with playing MKV, Twitch, Youtube, etc sometimes freaking out and losing picture/sound.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Been messing around with some settings to get decent performance at 1440p. I'm using a 27" Acer Predator G-Sync IPS monitor (144 Hz). I set everything to High and Post Processing to Low. V-sync turned off in-game and enabled in Nvidia CP. I'm getting anywhere between 70 FPS to 90 FPS depending on what's happening in the open world or inside corridors. S*** hits the fan when there are multiple enemies and Storms are dropping their Ults on hella skorpions, dips to about 45 FPS for a couple of seconds. Looking forward to their supposed performance patch on the 22nd, this game is still hella buggy.

2700X OC'd to 4.2 GHz
GTX 1080 Ti (latest drivers)
16GB DDR4 OC'd to 3200 MHz

This game looks great on Ultra, but I want decent FPS at 1440p so I'll settle with the settings I have for now.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, ok. Wonder why setting the v-sync to on in CP reduced the refesh rate to 50hz then.
That's how double-buffered Vsync works. If it can't maintain fps above your refresh rate then it lowers in 1/2 intervals. You need to use adaptive Vsync if you want variable fps below 100, but there will possibly still be tearing when it drops. There used to be really handy tools to easily force triple buffered Vsync in D3D games but it's now a bit of a crapshoot.

You can try playing in borderless mode and capping frame rate in RTSS. Borderless will force triple buffering through Windows, but it might introduce frame pacing issues and/or decreased performance.

This is why VRR solutions (G-Sync/FreeSync) are so highly regarded.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
That's how double-buffered Vsync works. If it can't maintain fps above your refresh rate then it lowers in 1/2 intervals. You need to use adaptive Vsync if you want variable fps below 100, but there will possibly still be tearing when it drops. There used to be really handy tools to easily force triple buffered Vsync in D3D games but it's now a bit of a crapshoot.

You can try playing in borderless mode and capping frame rate in RTSS. Borderless will force triple buffering through Windows, but it might introduce frame pacing issues and/or decreased performance.

This is why VRR solutions (G-Sync/FreeSync) are so highly regarded.
Well, weird thing. I have a g-sync monitor and the in-game v-sync works fine. But using the CP v-sync halved it. And I've used the CP v-sync for other games fine. I'm just wondering if there is a setting in the CP that is causing it. Or an issue with Anthem? With in game v-sync I can get near 100fps in Tarsis and up-to 80+ in the world. I know what you're saying but I don't know why in-game v-sync gives me my refresh rate of 100hz and CP v-sync doesn't. I'll try again. Maybe I missed something.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, weird thing. I have a g-sync monitor and the in-game v-sync works fine. But using the CP v-sync halved it. And I've used the CP v-sync for other games fine. I'm just wondering if there is a setting in the CP that is causing it. Or an issue with Anthem? With in game v-sync I can get near 100fps in Tarsis and up-to 80+ in the world. I know what you're saying but I don't know why in-game v-sync gives me my refresh rate of 100hz and CP v-sync doesn't. I'll try again. Maybe I missed something.
You shouldn't be using V-Sync at all if you have G-Sync. It doesn't sound like you have G-Sync enabled.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
even on high this game struggle really hard to maintain 60 fps, in open zone with combat the framerate go down in the 30ish...
do i really play this game on medium for an acceptable framerate?

the performance for me are the same as the demo unfortunately.

also why i can't disable the washed out hdr of this game with a proper ingame option?
Im on med/low/off at 1440p with a 1070 and still getting drops to 35ish during really heavy fights :(

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
How do I turn off HDR or rather how the hell do I keep making it turn on?
Their non-existing HDR option is ridiculous. It just overwrites my Windows setting (actually other games do that too). Also HDR seems to be really bad implemented (if it is at all). Just looks washed out. I don't wanna be forced to play in borderless mode because of that.

Xanian

Feb 16, 2019
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so I'll offer this insight. (I did not discover this, I learned this from the EA forums, but it definitely solved my problem). If you're running Acronis True Image (a fairly popular backup solution) with active malware scanning, it will reduce the performance of Anthem to 20 FPS or less. I've verified this myself (quite easy to do testing turning the feature on and off). With scanning on, not only am I limited to about 20 FPS, but it made no difference whether everything was on the lowest or highest setting - I could never get more than 20 FPS. By turning scanning off I'm getting around 60 FPS on Ultra and north of 80 on medium. Once this was fully validated, I was able to get the same gains by simply excluding the Anthem directory from scanning (so that I don't have to turn off all the scanning for the rest of my system).

So - if you have Acronis, I strongly recommend you try this - it not only worked for me but I saw numerous posts indicating similar success. If you don't have Acronis - I'm starting to see threads that other programs may be causing similar issues - so you may want to look in unexpected places for the root of the problem. (I was not seeing any heavy disk or CPU utilization from Acronis, but it was somehow conflicting with the game - both my FPS and load times have improved dramatically by excluding the Anthem directories). I'm guessing it's some type of file access contention, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I would recommend looking at anything that does some type of active file monitoring (AntiVirus/AntiMalware, backup, etc). Hope this helps -made a huge difference for me.