• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Beta performance was kind of shitty for me - lots of stuttering regardless of settings. This final product is butter on Ultra and I think someone mentioned it earlier but seems to look better than the beta, texture wise. In any case it's fucking impressive and performs really well. 7700k, 2080Ti.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
8700/2080/16GB RAM/M.2 SSD here...

What are the best settings to drop for combat fps?

I'm running it at 4K w/80% resolution scale on ultra settings, and while the framerate is usually hovering between 55-60, combat easily drops it to the 40's.

It's always within my Freesync/Gsync range so it's not the end of the world, but wouldn't mind dropping a few settings they don't make too much of a difference in quality.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
8700/2080/16GB RAM/M.2 SSD here...

What are the best settings to drop for combat fps?

I'm running it at 4K w/80% resolution scale on ultra settings, and while the framerate is usually hovering between 55-60, combat easily drops it to the 40's.

It's always within my Freesync/Gsync range so it's not the end of the world, but wouldn't mind dropping a few settings they don't make too much of a difference in quality.
I am running 2080ti / 2700x
There are issues, I am running at 90% scale at 4k, Most of the time its a locked 60 no problem but in firefights and randomly it will drop to the 50s or 40s. The thing is my CPU usage and GPU usage will be like sub 80% GPU and sub 40% CPU, on an SSD, 16gb 3200cl14.
I think there is some optimization work to be done yet. as changing graphics quality from ultra to low doesn't change this at all just decreases GPU usage. I honestly think it's some kind of netcode issue

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I litterally can't get this game to play at 60FPS/1080p and I'm within the reccomended specs (outside of RAM)

I really hope the patch on the 22nd and an AMD ready driver for Anthem fixes up some of these performance issues so I can run at a consistent 60.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
In-game Vsync is triple buffered or adaptive then. Likely triple buffered, since that's a native feature of the Source engine. Nvidia CP is standard, old school double buffered.
But I hear the in game v-sync may be bugged or not optimal. Seems fine to me. Well I'll take a look at the settings. I have a feeling some were changed after the last driver install as I made it a clean install.

One other thing. I can't change the resolution. I can only have 3440x1440. I'm wondering if this is because it only recognises this as correct for a 21:9 monitor. Strange I can't change it at all, except refresh rate.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
the hdr is so broken.

can't disable it. works ok at 1080p and 4k, but totally broken at 1440p.

EDIT: i7 4790k and a 1070ti plays the intro missions at 1080p 60fps well. I can't try 1440p because the hdr makes my entire screen pink.

Did you manage to get HDR working? I have to play in borderless 2160p since full screen gives me a pink screen on my oled tv. Would be nice to be able to change resolution...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever played a PC port that has such inconsistent performance. It's really quite incredible how I can get 100FPS looking one direction in Fort Tarsis, take a few steps back, nosedive to 80, turn around, and drop to 60.

Running on a 1080 Ti and i5 6600K @ 4.7GHz with 16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz. Loaded onto an SSD.

The lack of a means to cap my framerate without external software is also supremely irritating. And even when I used Nvidia Inspector, it was the judderiest 60FPS I've ever seen, even in areas where I knew I had a ton of overhead.

What the fuck is going on with this game?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't think I've ever played a PC port that has such inconsistent performance. It's really quite incredible how I can get 100FPS looking one direction in Fort Tarsis, take a few steps back, nosedive to 80, turn around, and drop to 60.

Running on a 1080 Ti and i5 6600K @ 4.7GHz with 16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz. Loaded onto an SSD.

The lack of a means to cap my framerate without external software is also supremely irritating. And even when I used Nvidia Inspector, it was the judderiest 60FPS I've ever seen, even in areas where I knew I had a ton of overhead.

It's simply becase there are some parts in the game that are heavily populated with NPCs and other details. For example, my PC can mostly hold 60fps in Fort Tarsis but this market area.

xOYX7II.jpg

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Yep. There's probably some sort of netcode issues affecting local rendering. The tutorial part is a clear indication that when the game is completely offline, things are smooth as butter.
Also, for some reason borderless fullscreen gives me 25-30% more performance in demanding areas, but the FPS dips feel worse for me since Gsync has been broken for ages for anything besides exclusive fullscreen.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
How do you change the scale? Not seeing the option within the Video Advanced Settings menu

You have to add it to the .ini in the documents folder: Documents > BioWare > Anthem > Settings > ProfileOptions_profile (open with notepad)

and add this line "GstRender.ResolutionScale 0.800000" without the quotes. And change the number to whatever you want (0.80000 = 80% resolution scale for instance)

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
I have solid 1440p@60+ now with Vega 56 and 2600.
Textures: High
Filtering: High
Mesh: Low
Light: High
Effects: Med
Terrain: Low
Vegetation: High
Post-Process: Low (because motion blur)

I did screen shots comparing the settings and I couldn't see a difference on the stuff I have on low. Ultra is also not a noticeable difference.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just in case someone searches the thread and it didn't came up: Anthem isn't playable with a Phenom II X4, same as Apex :D Wanted to check on how it performs, if it does, but it seems like it's Denuvo protection insists on SSE4.1/SSE4.2 support, which Phenom doesn't have.

So, fellow trash pc people, don't bother downloading it like I did. It won't run if they don't remove that checkmark on their Denuvo protection.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I wish this game had a benchmarking tool or something so I could see how every setting affected performance and visuals. The only noticeable settings I've seen so far are vegetation and lighting.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
I tested some more in the open world and there is really very little FPS difference between the settings for me. Also I tested some areas and when I fly through them I have like 55 FPS and when I go back and do it again I suddenly have 65 FPS, makes no sense. Nothing changed.

Endy

Oct 30, 2017
I tested some more in the open world and there is really very little FPS difference between the settings for me. Also I tested some areas and when I fly through them I have like 55 FPS and when I go back and do it again I suddenly have 65 FPS, makes no sense. Nothing changed.
Tested as well.
With my config (Ryzen 5 1600x 16gb of DDR4 Ram 960 evo SSD and a GTX 1070@1080p) I see very very minor differences between Ultra and High.
Both give me below optimal framerate.....Might as well stick with Ultra until I see some optimization being thrown in the game.

Endy.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Did you manage to get HDR working? I have to play in borderless 2160p since full screen gives me a pink screen on my oled tv. Would be nice to be able to change resolution...

So far HDR "works" at 1080p and 2160p fullscreen, but not 1440p. I can't avoid the pink screen any other way except by using those two resolutions.

Borderless runs at any resolution but the frame rate sucks and HDR is not enabled.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
So far HDR "works" at 1080p and 2160p fullscreen, but not 1440p. I can't avoid the pink screen any other way except by using those two resolutions.

Borderless runs at any resolution but the frame rate sucks and HDR is not enabled.

On my b6 oled all resolutions in full screen gives me pink screens. However borderless work both with and without hdr. Very strange that full screen works for you since lots of people with tvs cant use it: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Anthem-Turns-Purple-in-Full-Screen/td-p/7373988/page/4 what tv are you using? It really sucks not being able to choose resolution...

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
On my b6 oled all resolutions in full screen gives me pink screens. However borderless work both with and without hdr. Very strange that full screen works for you since lots of people with tvs cant use it: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Anthem-Turns-Purple-in-Full-Screen/td-p/7373988/page/4 what tv are you using? It really sucks not being able to choose resolution...

That's incredibly strange because I also have a B6. My drivers are all updated. I can think of what would make mine perform differently.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
That's incredibly strange because I also have a B6. My drivers are all updated. I can think of what would make mine perform differently.

Very strange. Maybe there is a difference between the US and the european ones (from eu myself) or the graphic cards? (Got a 2080 ti myself) on the latest driver and latest windows version. Have tried both rgb and 422. Got at least 10 hdr games on pc and all of them work perfectly except anthem.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It's crazy, I turned HDR off on my TV and the game was still trying to output some HDR signal. The colors were completely out of whack. My only option when playing on my TV is to play in borderless, which as it typically does in most games lowers my performance a bit. Can't even maintain 60 fps while exploring the open world on my 2070 @1440p when I'm in borderless.

This game is also hammering my CPU, I was wondering why my GPU was hitting up to 73c where as I've never seen it go over 69, and then noticed my CPU was in the low 70's as well. Of course these temps are perfectly safe, but they're still higher than I would like and I've never seen my CPU go past like 62c.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Very strange. Maybe there is a difference between the US and the european ones (from eu myself) or the graphic cards? (Got a 2080 ti myself) on the latest driver and latest windows version. Have tried both rgb and 422. Got at least 10 hdr games on pc and all of them work perfectly except anthem.

LG B7 owner here. Pink screen in full screen mode regardless of the resolution. Colors only display properly in borderless windowed.

1080 Ti with 417.22 drivers. HDR off in Windows (TV doesn't even turn HDR on when starting the game).

I was also only able to play for 15 minutes before the game crashed and a DirectX error window popped up.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
What's up with the crashes in this game!? I'm running a 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, i5-8400, Win 10 and the latest nvidia drivers and it's crashed like 6 times in 2 hours.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
LG B7 owner here. Pink screen in full screen mode regardless of the resolution. Colors only display properly in borderless windowed.

1080 Ti with 417.22 drivers. HDR off in Windows (TV doesn't even turn HDR on when starting the game).

I was also only able to play for 15 minutes before the game crashed and a DirectX error window popped up.

Looks like you are having the same issues as me. If your tv works like mine, HDR should work in borderless as long as you activate it in windows before starting the game. But I agree that borderless sucks. I am forced to play in 2160p meaning that I cannot get a a locked 60 fps with acceptable settings on my 2080 ti. My only solution now is playing in 50 hz with a mix of high and ultra settings (lighting medium since it is the most demanding setting). I really hope they fix full screen in the release patch on Friday or at least add DLSS so I can run the game in blurry 4k/60.

Last edited:

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
What's up with the crashes in this game!? I'm running a 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, i5-8400, Win 10 and the latest nvidia drivers and it's crashed like 6 times in 2 hours.

Are you getting DirectX errors, as in a window popping up after the game crashes to desktop?

Looks like you are having the same issues as me. If your tv works like mine, HDR should work in borderless as long as you activate it in windows before starting the game. But I agree that borderless sucks. I am forced to play in 2160p meaning that I cannot get a a locked 60 fps with acceptable settings on my 2080 ti. My only solution now is playing in 50 hz with a mix of high and ultra settings (lighting medium since it is the most demanding setting). I really hope they fix full screen in the release patch on Friday or at least add DLSS so I can run the game in blurry 4k/60.

An EA rep mentioned on the official forums that it's a Dolby Vision issue and that the Anthem team is working on it. The game apparently tries to force HDR whenever it's in full screen mode, and since there's no way to disable HDR in-game, we end up with the pink screen. It only works in borderless or windowed mode because Windows' own HDR implementation is HDR10, not Dolby Vision.

And yeah, borderless sucks. I'm getting anything between 30 and 50 fps with everything maxed out. Do the lighting settings affect shadows? I found it very weird that there is no specific entry for shadows in the graphics options (which is very limited).

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Are you getting DirectX errors, as in a window popping up after the game crashes to desktop?

An EA rep mentioned on the official forums that it's a Dolby Vision issue and that the Anthem team is working on it. The game apparently tries to force HDR whenever it's in full screen mode, and since there's no way to disable HDR in-game, we end up with the pink screen. It only works in borderless or windowed mode because Windows' own HDR implementation is HDR10, not Dolby Vision.

And yeah, borderless sucks. I'm getting anything between 30 and 50 fps with everything maxed out. Do the lighting settings affect shadows? I found it very weird that there is no specific entry for shadows in the graphics options (which is very limited).

Yes it affects the shadows, explaining the performance hit

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
So this game performance has been bugging me, I have a 2700x, 2080ti, 16gb 3200cl14, installed on SSD
Running at 4k with 90% resolution scaling, Everything on ulta, lighting and post processing on high, Motion blur off, Vsync on.
Have a locked 60 most of the time, but when in freeplay or group quests I will get random slowdown into 50s and sometimes 40s, Thing is CPU and GPU usage are not bottlenecking, I will be sub 80% GPU and sub 40% CPU, it is utilizing 14 of my 16 threads, so its not an issue there where its capping out threads, highest will be 80%

Changing res/graphics same issue, even on low i get these

I figured it was netcode related, So i did a test and did a mission in private mode, and yup no slowdown at all. This is ridiculous that an Online only game that they push group play so strongly has issues like this.

I hope they fix this.

Also i have 300/80mb internet so not an issue there

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Vsync is just broke in this game with it on will get drops to 40-50s fps. With like 70% GPU. Cpu at 40%. Same with Nvidia control panel vsync. Turn off vsync get 70-100fps never drops below 60 with 97% GPU usage. Wtf. Screen tears so bad

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Guys, i found the perfect solution to boost the frame rate without a visual loss or switching display resolutions. just posted it on the general thread for the game: https://www.resetera.com/threads/anthem-ot-gaas-effect.99511/post-18027019

TLDR: i found that the game actually has a resolution scaling slider that got removed from the settings for some reason and i posted how to adjust it there.
...I'm sorry but you're absolutely sacrificing visuals when doing this. You're still running the game at a lower resolution at the end of the day, which means there's a loss of visual fidelity that will obviously get more apparent as you lower the number. On a 4K display 67% would be 1440p and 75% would be 1620p for example. Now the difference between native 4k and 85% of 4k, whatever that exact resolution is may not be noticeable to you, but you're objectively losing visual fidelity when doing that.

When you say you've "found a way to hit 4K 60FPS" in the OT that's not actually an entirely true statement, so I'd advise changing it.

Also, I'm sorry to say that this has already been brought up in here, I myself have already been utilizing it.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm actually getting good performance out of my 1080 FE/6600K at 1440p/ultra and installed on a hard drive, though it sounds like g-sync is doing a bunch of the heavy lifting here.

i do see quite a lot of weird bugs like the menu cursor sometimes displaying alongside the crosshair, subtitles staying onscreen forever etc.

everything looks good though, except the chromatic aberration which suuucks in this game. doesn't usually bother me but it has a major impact on image quality here and i'm not sure how to turn it off.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
everything looks good though, except the chromatic aberration which suuucks in this game. doesn't usually bother me but it has a major impact on image quality here and i'm not sure how to turn it off.

I forgot what it's called but it's in one of the video tabs in the video settings. It's right next to the depth of field and motion blur options. It's not in the regular graphics menu.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've problem with V-Sync. There is no triple buffering, so everytime framerate goes below 60FPS Anthem's performance goes crazy.

BTW. I don't know If It's only first locations, but game looks a lot of better than beta. Insane texture quality and great lighting.
47103955411_a8eafab7b9_o.png

46190181615_d98e52400a_o.png

How do you hide the hud?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Tried it on my laptop - i7 [email protected], GTX1080, 16GB 2400RAM. Possible CPU bottleneck? Rarely hit above 80% on GPU but will often max the CPU, though its temp doesn't go through the roof so I'm wondering if it is really being pushed that hard. I can change resolution on my laptop but not on my dektop monitor (21:9).
Changing resolution doesn't make a great deal of difference. 720p gives me maybe 3fps over 1080p with post-proccessing, lighting etc at low and everything else at medium (exceept HBAO which doesn't seem to hit my fps). So a bit iffy.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Guys, i found the perfect solution to boost the frame rate without a visual loss or switching display resolutions. just posted it on the general thread for the game: https://www.resetera.com/threads/anthem-ot-gaas-effect.99511/post-18027019

TLDR: i found that the game actually has a resolution scaling slider that got removed from the settings for some reason and i posted how to adjust it there.

Too bad this doesn't seem to affect resolution in borderless mode (full screen is broken for me due to HDR-pink screen problems). Has anyone found a way to change resolution in borderless without messing up HDR? I am currently forced to play in 2160p/borderless making it impossible to achieve a 60 fps lock on my 2080 ti

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So this game performance has been bugging me, I have a 2700x, 2080ti, 16gb 3200cl14, installed on SSD
Running at 4k with 90% resolution scaling, Everything on ulta, lighting and post processing on high, Motion blur off, Vsync on.
Have a locked 60 most of the time, but when in freeplay or group quests I will get random slowdown into 50s and sometimes 40s, Thing is CPU and GPU usage are not bottlenecking, I will be sub 80% GPU and sub 40% CPU, it is utilizing 14 of my 16 threads, so its not an issue there where its capping out threads, highest will be 80%

Changing res/graphics same issue, even on low i get these

I figured it was netcode related, So i did a test and did a mission in private mode, and yup no slowdown at all. This is ridiculous that an Online only game that they push group play so strongly has issues like this.

I hope they fix this.

Also i have 300/80mb internet so not an issue there
I have noticed pretty much the same. Maybe the weather is causing this? Maybe it's a texture streaming thing. I have no idea. It's weird.
I also experienced the same vsync behavior but at some point it did work with vsync on and then the next day fps dropped like crazy. There is something going on with this game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need some helping dealing with Anthem from my PC to my TV. Have an Nvidia 1080ti. So what happens is my LG B7 OLED, which is what I'd like to play it on. Is forcing HDMI DEEP COLOR on, and then Dolby Digital, which the game doesn't support. Making it so I cannot play the game on my OLED tv. Anyone in a similiar situation manage to find a solution?

Edit: Managed to fix the issue.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they fix whatever the issue is with full screen on TVs for the full release, not going to play it again until then

I need some helping dealing with Anthem from my PC to my TV. Have an Nvidia 1080ti. So what happens is my LG B7 OLED, which is what I'd like to play it on. Is forcing HDMI DEEP COLOR on, and then Dolby Digital, which the game doesn't support. Making it so I cannot play the game on my OLED tv. Anyone in a similiar situation manage to find a solution?

Edit: Managed to fix the issue.

Annoyingly as soon as i turn deep colour back on it seems to default back to Dolby Vision and black screen, even though I changed it to borderless. It's too much of a pain when I alternate between different games