• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
In one of those tweets, I thought I read that the walking like mud in the main hub area is not going to be fixed for the game for early access, but will be fixed by the 22nd official launch? Is that accurate? Have they said what else would be different between the 15th version and the 22nd version? The demo had a lot of issues as we all have covered, but that walking speed and poor performance in the main hub was bad and it would be a shame for those starting on the 15th (I will be) will still have a poor experience in that area. Would be nice to have a "patch notes" type of thing for the 15th and 22nd. Just that hub area alone makes me want to wait for the 22nd. Any confirmation of the above?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This a very direct question with a very direct answer, to me pretty much suggested next gen consoles will be backwards compatible.

All he's saying is that your Anthem profile carries over since it's hosted on their cloud server, like Destiny's progress carried over from PS3 to PS4 despite the lack of backwards compatibility between the two.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't use Twitter, has anyone asked the direct question on how the game will run come launch on the Xbox One X? When I mean more direct, I mean someone to ask them is it locked 30 or not? Getting answers like "it's better than the demo" is really answering the question and honestly, you can't get any worse than the demo, so saying "its better than the demo" can mean anything. lol

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
In one of those tweets, I thought I read that the walking like mud in the main hub area is not going to be fixed for the game for early access, but will be fixed by the 22nd official launch? Is that accurate? Have they said what else would be different between the 15th version and the 22nd version? The demo had a lot of issues as we all have covered, but that walking speed and poor performance in the main hub was bad and it would be a shame for those starting on the 15th (I will be) will still have a poor experience in that area. Would be nice to have a "patch notes" type of thing for the 15th and 22nd. Just that hub area alone makes me want to wait for the 22nd. Any confirmation of the above?
I took launch to mean from the 15th. I know they've stated that there will be a day 1 patch for both launch dates but you'd think something that makes such an immediate impression (it's literally the first thing I remember thinking from the demo) would be fixed as soon as the game is open for business.

Next they need to change Tarsis and the social area to 3rd person.

I don't use Twitter, has anyone asked the direct question on how the game will run come launch on the Xbox One X? When I mean more direct, I mean someone to ask them is it locked 30 or not? Getting answers like "it's better than the demo" is really answering the question and honestly, you can't get any worse than the demo, so saying "its better than the demo" can mean anything. lol

There were lots of nebulous questions and answers about performance, but I'm sure I saw a dev tweet recently where they said that the console versions would be locked to 30fps? I took note of it because I'm a Pro user on a 1080p set and I found the demo performance to be more than acceptable so I hope we have some framerate options in the final build.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017

Also would like to know this. And why can't I jump in the hub?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure, but Benji is expecting an above-average split towards digital because of the game being so online-focused.

Depends on the game. Online games and esspicially these kind of games wich continue to evolve over time and are not "done" after 12 hours have a way bigger digital split.

Thanks both.

So, forgive me for being thick, but are they saying that it's harder to track digital or physical sales? I'm guessing physical?

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I'd really perfer no PvP, but if PvP is instanced off completely from PvE it could be fine (for balancing purposes). It is such a delicate dance though. The games that I've played with PvP recently have really tried to err on the side of balance above all, but then people who want their gear to mean something noticeable get upset since they can't just overpower under geared players ("I've worked harder, so I've earned the advantage"). But if gear does matter, then those who are under geared just become fodder for the high geared players and then that isn't fun either (for the under geared players). The heavy emphasis on abilities will make it tricky. I'm quite curious how it will play out if they do add PvP.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really perfer no PvP, but if PvP is instanced off completely from PvE it could be fine (for balancing purposes). It is such a delicate dance though. The games that I've played with PvP recently have really tried to err on the side of balance above all, but then people who want their gear to mean something noticeable get upset since they can't just overpower under geared players ("I've worked harder, so I've earned the advantage"). But if gear does matter, then those who are under geared just become fodder for the high geared players and then that isn't fun either (for the under geared players). The heavy emphasis on abilities will make it tricky. I'm quite curious how it will play out if they do add PvP.

What does instanced off mean here? Is it almost like pve and pvp are two separate games?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Because it's a ballache embedding too many media items in a post, some text from Mark Darrah doing the AMA:
  • We have melee weapons. As to swappable ones, not at launch
  • No PvP at launch
  • Not at launch. We do really want to add this (thruster colours)
  • Not at launch but it is widely requested (photo mode)
  • No companion app at launch
  • Yes. Through the vault (mass salvage option)
  • Loot is biased towards the Javelin you are using
  • We have focused our personalization efforts on the Javelin. For the pilot, you will pick a pre-generated head from a list
  • Dynamic time of day, yes
  • You can go straight to the social hub (from the end of an expedition)

Shame about no melee weapons, I'd love to have a fully viable melee only guy.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All Im getting from those tweets, and the general responses from the devs are "nothing will be at launch", "some unspecified time in the future", etc.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
All Im getting from those tweets, and the general responses from the devs are "nothing will be at launch", "some unspecified time in the future", etc.
The questions are obviously going to be more targeted at features that we don't know much about (or that have flat out already been said won't be there at launch) so this isn't surprising, but yeah there's a lot of that. I take at least some of those responses as positive though because it suggests that they're actively looking into them.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
What does instanced off mean here? Is it almost like pve and pvp are two separate games?
Correct - the % that exist in PvP modes are different than how they function in PvE. As an example, Ability A hits for 500 damage in PvE as a base, and can be modified by gear to hit at a much higher number. But in PvP, it hits for 200 on enemy players as a base and while gear would have an influence on making it hit harder, it would be greatly toned down in PvP environments in how much gear would increase the base damage.

Then throw in things like crowd control abilities and knock downs. Nothing is more frustrating that being CC'ed/knocked down, but at the same time, it's one of the most satisfying offensive abilities to use in PvP. How will that be balanced/implemented? Will they be non-existent or just slightly nerfed? And with the discussion's of adding new Javelins in the future, I assume that means a support/healer type. In PvP, support roles, if not done near perfectly, become either widely over powered, to where if your team doesn't have a support javelin, you've already lost the match or wildly under powered and they are basically a complete liability. It tends to be a very fine line on support type roles in PvP.

I don't envy those that will (potentially) have the responsibility of balancing these things out.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably best for the longevity of a GaaS title, if you front load your game you risk the player base burning through all the content in an instant and you have a drought on your hands.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Probably best for the longevity of a GaaS title, if you front load your game you risk the player base burning through all the content in an instant and you have a drought on your hands.

oppositely, if you launch the game and people are done with it after 7 days you have yourself a much bigger problem.

the carrot on the stick method needs to be real.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Correct - the % that exist in PvP modes are different than how they function in PvE. As an example, Ability A hits for 500 damage in PvE as a base, and can be modified by gear to hit at a much higher number. But in PvP, it hits for 200 on enemy players as a base and while gear would have an influence on making it hit harder, it would be greatly toned down in PvP environments in how much gear would increase the base damage.

Then throw in things like crowd control abilities and knock downs. Nothing is more frustrating that being CC'ed/knocked down, but at the same time, it's one of the most satisfying offensive abilities to use in PvP. How will that be balanced/implemented? Will they be non-existent or just slightly nerfed? And with the discussion's of adding new Javelins in the future, I assume that means a support/healer type. In PvP, support roles, if not done near perfectly, become either widely over powered, to where if your team doesn't have a support javelin, you've already lost the match or wildly under powered and they are basically a complete liability. It tends to be a very fine line on support type roles in PvP.

I don't envy those that will (potentially) have the responsibility of balancing these things out.

Ok, this may sound stupid, but wouldn't it be easier to have separate javelins and gear for pvp then? Like how swtor used to have pve gear and pvp gear.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
oppositely, if you launch the game and people are done with it after 7 days you have yourself a much bigger problem.

the carrot on the stick method needs to be real.
Yeah... That's what I'm saying.

Bungie are currently employing the drop-feed method because no matter how much content you put out, the GaaS crowd will trivialise it.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
They're actually my favourite already, I just wish I could pick my weapons, it would be awesome to go berserker mode with a couple of axes.

I'd love it if the interceptor could have something similar to lightsabers, single blade, double blade, twin sabers lol. Also some kind of light bow, or electric bow.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Ok, this may sound stupid, but wouldn't it be easier to have separate javelins and gear for pvp then? Like how swtor used to have pve gear and pvp gear.
Not at all, I've played games with this concept also. But it also leads back to the gearing issue. You have new players (or even veterans of PvE) becoming too frustrated to play when they get matched up with geared players who only PvP when they play. So the PvP player not only has the abilities and strategies down, they also have the big gear advantage now too since that person who has that nice gear from PvE activities, find that their gear is near useless against the person's epic PvP gear. This would just discourage new PvP players in the end and maybe more than usual since you've now somewhat excluded high end PvE players from PvP, they may not want to grind up an entirely new set of gear just for PvP since they just did it for PvE.

The counterpoint to that is, "Just match up players based on their gear." Guessing this wouldn't be too hard to implement, but what happens when a new player wants to play with a geared buddy? Is he thrown to the wolves that the higher level player has been competing against in his under geared state? Can players "game" the system (equipping certain items that give them big advantages but keep their gear "values" low to keep them getting matched up against under geared players).

Assuming the PvP player base isn't overly large to begin with, if you start segmenting the PvP player base that exists too much on gear, you run the risk of turning it into a ghost town with no one queuing. There seems to be a general consensus that many here are satisfied without them implementing a PvP mode. I would imagine this would make PvP maybe a big deal once it gets implemented, but if it isn't done well, it would largely be ignored after the initial introduction of the system by a player base that wasn't overly interested in it to begin with.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
4oR.gif

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all, I've played games with this concept also. But it also leads back to the gearing issue. You have new players (or even veterans of PvE) becoming too frustrated to play when they get matched up with geared players who only PvP when they play. So the PvP player not only has the abilities and strategies down, they also have the big gear advantage now too since that person who has that nice gear from PvE activities, find that their gear is near useless against the person's epic PvP gear. This would just discourage new PvP players in the end and maybe more than usual since you've now somewhat excluded high end PvE players from PvP, they may not want to grind up an entirely new set of gear just for PvP since they just did it for PvE.

The counterpoint to that is, "Just match up players based on their gear." Guessing this wouldn't be too hard to implement, but what happens when a new player wants to play with a geared buddy? Is he thrown to the wolves that the higher level player has been competing against in his under geared state? Can players "game" the system (equipping certain items that give them big advantages but keep their gear "values" low to keep them getting matched up against under geared players).

Assuming the PvP player base isn't overly large to begin with, if you start segmenting the PvP player base that exists too much on gear, you run the risk of turning it into a ghost town with no one queuing. There seems to be a general consensus that many here are satisfied without them implementing a PvP mode. I would imagine this would make PvP maybe a big deal once it gets implemented, but if it isn't done well, it would largely be ignored after the initial introduction of the system by a player base that wasn't overly interested in it to begin with.

swtor got around this by having level caps on pvp, e.g. 10-20 2-40 etc, and lower level players had hp etc boosted up to the same as the level cap. Obviously that wouldn't overcome "x" having legendary weapons or gear with legendary stats etc. I know what you mean though. I think I just love(d) swtor's pvp so much, that I compare everything to that!

I just think that pvp in Anthem could be great, whichever way it's implemented, but I do agree that it should be ringfenced from pve.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
swtor got around this by having level caps on pvp, e.g. 10-20 2-40 etc, and lower level players had hp etc boosted up to the same as the level cap. Obviously that wouldn't overcome "x" having legendary weapons or gear with legendary stats etc. I know what you mean though. I think I just love(d) swtor's pvp so much, that I compare everything to that!

I just think that pvp in Anthem could be great, whichever way it's implemented, but I do agree that it should be ringfenced from pve.
I'm thinking more from the "max level" perspective, but that would certainly help populate the game mode overall due to level segmentation. Certainly curious how it will play out if/when it gets implemented. I will definitely try it out, if that time comes, simply because it is an ability focused game. Guns are there, but the abilities are what would potentially make it interesting long term for me. In the end, the mode will be defined with how well those abilities are balanced. I think it is still many months from implementation anyway, but it might be further along that I realize.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The questions are obviously going to be more targeted at features that we don't know much about (or that have flat out already been said won't be there at launch) so this isn't surprising, but yeah there's a lot of that. I take at least some of those responses as positive though because it suggests that they're actively looking into them.
Yeah I'm not complaining that theyre at least being transparent or that theyre conscious of these questions, just more of something I'm assuming will be a game I'll wait a bit on until a lot of this starts getting implemented. Looks like most of the day 1 players are happy with whats there anyway so thats good for Bio, plus EA access giving others a chance to try it out without committing. Hopefully their pipeline for this stuff isn't super long.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If you think wading through endless strings of tweets is not an efficient use of your time, we agree. Fortunately for us, Reddit user bepeacock has listed every answer all three BioWare devs gave and you can read 'em below!

Mark Darrah

• No ability to do strongholds solo.
  • They are constantly adjusting the economy to earn cosmetics in a reasonable amount of time.
  • They are looking into not interrupting javelin startup animation.
  • They are looking into spectator cam while downed, but not for launch.
  • Swappable melee weapons not available at launch.
  • Freeplay will not be increased to the same number of players as launch bay.
  • No PvP at launch.
  • They are looking into adding waypoints after launch.
  • Will not be able to change visor colors at launch.
  • No photo mode at launch but acknowledged this is widely requested.
  • Cosmetics include armors, emotes, banners, vinyls, and a few more things in development.
  • No comment on more javelins at this time.
  • Mass salvage option available in vault.
  • Loot tables are biased toward the javelin you are wearing.
  • Story missions do not require matchmaking.
  • Iron Man skins would require a deal with Disney.
  • Companions are not being considered for Anthem.
  • Console players will have look inversion.
  • Pilot character customization will be limited to a pre-generated list.
  • The inherent nature of the game means PS4 Plus and Xbox Live are required.
  • Choose your pilot's look only at the beginning of the game.
  • Cannot switch between 1st and 3rd person.
  • Demo players do not keep gear.
  • Romances not being added at this time.
  • There is dynamic time of day in game.
  • Helena Tarsis' javelin predated Colossus so that doesn't necessarily mean Colossus gets a sword.
  • If you want to be thicc boi like Colossus, do 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and run 10K.
  • Story missions will all have matchmaking option.
  • More open world activities will be added over time.
  • Visor, thruster, shield, and dagger colors are being looked into.
  • There have been may balance changes since the demo fork.
  • You'll be able to choose the launch bay or Fort Tarsis after an expedition.
Chad Robertson

• Loads will be faster on launch than in the demo.
  • There is not a hard ending with credits. The story will be continuous and evolving.
  • Sponsored/branded or event vinyls will likely be part of the game.
  • Freeplay will not have a private session option.
  • AoE attacks will harm the cute Grabbits. That's the way it is.
  • Save files can be carried over to next gen consoles.
  • Drivers will be available for PC gamers to use PS4 controllers but it is not natively supported.
  • They want to add more javelins in the future.
  • Anthem will continue growing for years.
  • Cataclysms are the aspiration content for teams, challenges, and top rewards.
  • Plan on adding statistics to post expedition screen after launch.
Ben Irving

• No training room.
  • No locking equipment to prevent accidental deletion beyond the equipment equipped.
  • Sprint speed increased in Ft. Tarsis, along with movement responsiveness and camera improvements.
  • The issue in a stronghold when someone left with an objective (echo) and it stopped the team's progress has been resolved.
  • Photo mode and weapon customization will not be added in the short term.
  • Rather than a "vote kick", they are working on improving their AFK timers.
  • Count on "raid level" content in the first year of the game.
  • Teased the possibility of choosing ultimates down the line someday.
  • Invites can be sent in game (but didn't really say if "join squad" would be an option).
  • They are looking into other achievables like titles.
  • Not looking at increasing freeplay squad more than 4 in the short term.
  • A healer javelin is not likely because they focus on flexibility.
  • You can uninstall the demo without fear of not getting your rewards for playing.
  • No loot boxes for cosmetics.
  • Guilds will not have a private social space at the launch of guilds.
  • Some activities will only be available for a set time but could come back around.
  • There are no plans to allow loadout change in the field.
  • Cannot upgrade weapons, you'll have to get another one.
  • Bosses will not have unique drops at launch.
  • Cataclysms will be aspirational, meaningful, challenging, and the place to earn the best rewards.
  • Patch notes will only be for changes made after Feb. 15.
  • If you get booted from an activity, you'll get all the XP and loot up to that point.
  • No elemental weapons or bullets at launch. May add later but they won't do combos.
  • Vinyl colors cannot be changed.
  • Javelins will not favor a gender in appearance.
  • No weapons beyond legendary at launch.
  • Setting up primer and detonators are all about your team make up and the difficulty of the content.
https://mp1st.com/news/full-anthem-q-and-a-with-bioware-listed-and-reveals-a-ton-of-info

Oct 30, 2017
United States

I mean, in the demo I was not really using my guns on my interceptor :) I took advantage of the interceptor's melee being a detonator to run two primers, and my favorite combo was venom bomb (for armor) and detonating strike (for shields).

My only concern with using other melee weapons would be that the change in animation speeds could mess with my melee timing and the knockback effects from the interceptor's melee helped with his durability issues..

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
  • Not looking at increasing freeplay squad more than 4 in the short term.
  • A healer javelin is not likely because they focus on flexibility
  • Patch notes will only be for changes made after Feb. 15.
  • If you get booted from an activity, you'll get all the XP and loot up to that point.

Damn freeplay will be empty.

Damn no healer javelin.

I don't understand the patch notes comment? Are they saying it won't including the patch that is due on the 15th?

The comment about keeping xp and loot if you're kicked, makes it sound like that particular bug hasn't been fully sorted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.