• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it kind of makes sense from a gameplay perspective with faction rep and stuff but the launch trailer and the lore cutscenes we've seen so far treat "Freelancers" as this noble group of chosen warriors who defend civilization with their life which is the polar opposite of an independent mercenary.

Ah, I hadn't seen all the cutscene stuff, that does make it a little contradictory.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it kind of makes sense from a gameplay perspective with faction rep and stuff but the launch trailer and the lore cutscenes we've seen so far treat "Freelancers" as this noble group of chosen warriors who defend civilization with their life which is the polar opposite of an independent mercenary.

It's not that the lore and the term Freelancer are contradictory as much as in Anthem's world, Freelancer gives a different impression. The Freelancers are called so because they're factionless and take on jobs for any who need it. But in Anthem's world, they are driven by a more noble pursuit than that of profit. General Tarsis was the very first Freelancer and her actions, values, ideals, and ultimately her sacrifice has set the tone of what being a Freelancer means in that world. There is at least one other group that uses Javelins in Anthem and though they're the good guys, they belong to or are themselves a faction and are looked at as less skilled than Freelancers are.

Jan 10, 2018
Is there any bigger poll made that shows what javelines are the most popular right now? I like to play unpopular classes so I wanna know. Something tells me the Colossus will not be that popular, and perhaps Interceptor to some degree.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there any bigger poll made that shows what javelines are the most popular right now? I like to play unpopular classes so I wanna know. Something tells me the Colossus will not be that popular, and perhaps Interceptor to some degree.
Storm by a good chunk but that's mainly due to it being easy mode. Pick the Ranger or Thiccboi.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
From my informal observations, Colossus is trending to be the least popular Javelin right now, with Ranger kinda close behind it. The former cause people perceive it as weak, the latter cause people perceive it as vanilla.

Jan 10, 2018
From my informal observations, Colossus is trending to be the least popular Javelin right now, with Ranger kinda close behind it. The former cause people perceive it as weak, the latter cause people perceive it as vanilla.

Really? I thought Ranger was popular to a lot of players because it feels balanced and versatile. Interceptor feels like a pretty hard javeline to control. But it looks badass so maybe that's why people gravitate towards it.

SofaJockey

Nov 19, 2017
UK
I mean the demo didn't match the trailers we've been sold since introducing the game. You can't blame gamers for feeling blindsided.

Day One of the VIP Demo was certainly rough and some bugs persisted across the weekends. I don't get the 'downgrade' accusation. I watched the E3 2018 gameplay trailer again and that's the game I played last week.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day One of the VIP Demo was certainly rough and some bugs persisted across the weekends. I don't get the 'downgrade' accusation. I watched the E3 2018 gameplay trailer again and that's the game I played last week.
The game doesn't play anywhere near that trailer. Game is not as atmospheric with music swell like the trailer (this is a minor gripe). Enemies are bigger bullet sponges, you can't stay in the air nearly as long and I mean honestly there's so many bugs that I have a hard time believing none of them will be present like in the 2018 trailer.

I don't want to sound overly negative because I want to support new IPs like this. I'll play the early access trial and hope for the best.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't play anywhere near that trailer. Game is not as atmospheric with music swell like the trailer (this is a minor gripe). Enemies are bigger bullet sponges, you can't stay in the air nearly as long and I mean honestly there's so many bugs that I have a hard time believing none of them will be present like in the 2018 trailer.

I don't want to sound overly negative because I want to support new IPs like this. I'll play the early access trial and hope for the best.
It is a presentation and a small slice of the game. Having game mechanics of that kind affect the showcase would be silly. Also presentations usually runs at easy difficulty. So enemies would be very light on health and resistance.

I don't think the presentation gives any wrong impressions on how the game is going to be in terms of scale and information.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Nonsense the game plays exactly like the E3 2018 trailer.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Here's the thing, we don't know what level of javelins the devs played in the trailers. But in the demo, we only had access to level 10-15 javelins, which means very limited possibilities of gear upgrades. Higher level means higher damage which would mitigate the bullet spongey of enemies, and you can actually upgrade your javelin's hovering time by equipping certain gears.

Remember that this is RPG, there are so many possibilities of playstyles and builds.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Playing Apex makes me wonder what in the fuck happened with the weapon sound design in this game.

I really do hope it is drastically improved over the demo. Weapons sound objectively like shit.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Anyone have any cool/funny ideas for OT title ideas? I like "I AM JAV-E-LIN" and "Javelin a good time" as they're both Anthem based and play off it. Looking for titles that don't reference other similar games or prior IP's of BioWare - just a good, wholesome Anthem reference. Something like "We are the Anthem" or "Time to fly".

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any cool/funny ideas for OT title ideas? I like "I AM JAV-E-LIN" and "Javelin a good time" as they're both Anthem based and play off it. Looking for titles that don't reference other similar games or prior IP's of BioWare - just a good, wholesome Anthem reference. Something like "We are the Anthem" or "Time to fly".

Superman 64

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem - Dont kneel but fly

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for those in the US planning to buy physical copies of anthem, regular or deluxe, Target is doing B2G1 free sale so you can get regular for $40+tax and the Deluxe for ~$54 + tax on console, add 3 games of the same price (no dupes) to cart, checkout, then cancel the 2 extra games and it should get you 33% off anthem.

However, be aware Target preorder shipping is slow, so expect to receive the game a few days after release. Their return policy is 90 days for unopened items and 120 if you use red card, in case some or on the fence and want to hold onto the preorder and wait and see

https://www.target.com/s?sortBy=relevance&Nao=0&category=5xtg5&searchTerm=anthem

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"You are Freelancers" or "Never give up" or "This is your time" were memorable quotes from the Launch trailer, I think.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
ANTHEM [OT] Unleash The Power of GaaS.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anthem OT: Ninjas Play Freelancer

(Kidding, I know this one's a Warframe ref and not in the spirit of your request)

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Anthem |OT| We Will Be Victorious

(From the Muse track on one of the trailers)

Anthem |OT| Hearts of Rage

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Can you pre-load through Origin Access Premier and is this launching at 12:00 AM EST on Feb 15 or later in the day?
According to my Origin it's launching at 10.30pm GMT on the 14th(!) so that should be 5.30pm EST on the 14th. Pre-load available on the 13th.

Also, the actual taglines like Unleash Your Power or whatever are so generic and boring. I can't remember who suggested it first but the best of the non-reference names i've seen so far was:

Anthem |OT| We Are The 95%

The best OT titles are always taking the piss out of itself imo - shows we know it's janky but don't care.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Anthem |OT| Time to Grabbit and Fly

I love the polorization of the audience when it comes to Grabbits and think you should play off that.. just my opinion.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Just something simple like "Stronger Together" if you want something safe and directly anthem related like EA made it themselves, there's not that much to work with that's 100% positive, but it won't in any way make it less likely that driveby shitposters won't do their worst.

GaaS Effect wuz robbed.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear that. I just hope that most of it is actually in the game.
Game has a codex just like Mass Effect.

Anthem [OT] No Such Thing as a Freelance
Anthem [OT] A Diablolical Plot is Afoot (Not what you asked for, but I'm proud of this one)

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
While iFirez has been a fantastic member of the community I recommend we petition for a ban so we can get the |OT| maker to play ball.
😡
Anthem [OT] iFirez: So long and thanks for all the gifs [ban duration pending]
Michaelscottfacepalm1.gif

Saw these nice Javelin cards on twitter:

Construct Zero who made these is a great guy, he made these as individual Javelin sheets for someone wanting to focus on just seeing one Javelin's abilities, rather than my chart which shows all 4:

We talked on Reddit and think that they go well together in terms of usage, we also believe in creating content for the community which is of a high quality so we're like minded chart makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.