Anthem Prelaunch Discussion Thread (Origin Premier/EA Access: Feb 15th) - Time To Fly FreelancEra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking over those Abilities for the different Javelins, and It doesnt look like any of them have a healing ability. Is that right? You would think that there would be a healer class of some sort.

Oct 31, 2017
So I was looking over those Abilities for the different Javelins, and It doesnt look like any of them have a healing ability. Is that right? You would think that there would be a healer class of some sort.
Personally, I want a Medic style Javelin. I always play a Support role in many of the games I like but I don't think that is a full option here in Anthem. I remember seeing some bits and bobs that talked about Helling the team with shields and you also have the defensive bubbles and walls but nothing Medic style so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Are there any interviews or anything that explains why Bioware chose to call the player characters "freelancers" when so far all the in game cut scenes and marketing material describes them as pretty much the polar opposite of what that word suggests.
This has probably been covered but...

Lancers is the name of the people who choose to hop into the Javelins to protect Fort Tarsis. We're called Freelancers because we take contracts from agents around Fort Tarsis and do them. We don't work for anyone (not even Fort Tarsis, they have the Sentinels for that) but we are willing to protect if need be.

So most of the time Freelancers will just do contracts for nearly anyone willing to pay and you will see thing throughout the game (such as Legendary Contracts, a core end-game activity; or even the Stronghold from the demo which was a contract) but when a bigger threat arises and threatens Fort Tarsis you can bet the Freelancers will be there to face it (much like what you see in most of the trailers and whatnot).

Hope this answered your question.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any interviews or anything that explains why Bioware chose to call the player characters "freelancers" when so far all the in game cut scenes and marketing material describes them as pretty much the polar opposite of what that word suggests.
Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.

On a more serious note, Freelancers are one of the 3 factions that split from the Legion of Dawn, the other 2 being the Sentinels and the other the Dominion. They are really not mercenaries, but more a "STALKER" vibe of the only people who go out of the walls. They are really something like Knights. I guess Bioware wanted the cool aesthetic of "Free willed mercenary" we see a lot on sci-fi stories, but without any moral subtleties of being an actual mercenary.

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.

On a more serious note, Freelancers are one of the 3 factions that split from the Legion of Dawn, the other 2 being the Sentinels and the other the Dominion. They are really not mercenaries, but more a "STALKER" vibe of the only people who go out of the walls. They are really something like Knights. I guess Bioware wanted the cool aesthetic of "Free willed mercenary" we see a lot on sci-fi stories, but without any moral subtleties of being an actual mercenary.
4 right?

Freelancers
CIA kind of people
Sentinels
Dominion

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, the soundtrack is going to be epic:

I'm still not sure if I'll buy this on launch, but after the disastrous demo, I'm liking what I'm reading and seeing from media.
I need to buy a new Xbox though, my OG one has random controller disconnects :/

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, you are right, there are the Corvus guys, but they seem to be something that came up after. I was talking about the factions that were created after the Legion dissolved.

I hope there is a really good lore involving the Arcanists, Ciphers and stuff, that is the only thing that is truly great from what I know of the Lore so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, you are right, there are the Corvus guys, but they seem to be something that came up after. I was talking about the factions that were created after the Legion dissolved.

I hope there is a really good lore involving the Arcanists, Ciphers and stuff, that is the only thing that is truly great from what I know of the Lore so far.
You right.
Also intresting thing.

Once upon a time, humanity was under the thumb of this very powerful group. And this woman, Helena Tarsis, was able to gather everyone together under her banner and overthrow them,” says Jay Watamaniuk, one of the lead writers on Anthem. He’s careful not to reveal the name of the enemy faction,

Oct 25, 2017
You right.
Also intresting thing.
From what I read online so far, the main baddie will be a "Director" or something of the Dominion, but not the whole Dominion. It will be something like we are facing Vader on the main campaign, while the Emperor will keep pulling the strings.

Oct 27, 2017
From what I read online so far, the main baddie will be a "Director" or something of the Dominion, but not the whole Dominion. It will be something like we are facing Vader on the main campaign, while the Emperor will keep pulling the strings.

If he’s successful, Watamaniuk says, the Dominion’s “expansionist empire will become unstoppable. And so they’re willing to do whatever to try and get even the slightest control of that particular force.” Technically, the antagonist is but one of any number of “monitors” who have developed some measure of affinity for the Anthem, but the capital-m Monitor of the game’s critical-path story is a fearsome, one-of-a-kind individual.

“The Monitor is comparable to a general or field marshal,” Watamaniuk explains. “He has troops under his command, he has resources, and what he does is sort of up to him.” The average citizen of the Dominion, in other words, is not in a position to tell the Monitor no. “He’s probably given a task of some sort, like a military objective. And those troops come in a variety of forms. They’ve got your typical folks running around with guns; he’s got special troops under his command. He has all these resources, he has a task, and so he sets out to accomplish it in any way he can.”

However, the Monitor’s not in charge of the Dominion – hinting that there may be another, potentially larger threat holding his leash. (Anthem is, after all, a game meant to tell a story over a span of years. The base campaign’s only the beginning.)

Oct 28, 2017
Jumping in the same demo twice to play the same content yet I wasn’t even bored was the verdict for me really. Played the VIP demo then the Open demo and I was enjoying both a lot. This game is spot on for me. My cup of tea! The looter shooter that always wanted. PvE no PvP and needs lots of team work.
You know this! Being bored never came into it, it was the exact opposite. And that was with just a fraction of the game. Like Ryan said in that video, it didn't get stale when you could try each time with different javelins, gear combinations and tactics. I suppose that won't last forever, but I feel there's plenty there for launch if the game ticks the right boxes for you. Just playing the one stronghold I got a real variety of play between friends, randos and weirdly especially jumping in quickplay not knowing what to expect and coming across situations like three rangers that went down super quick from the turrets and snipers early on, picked them all up and dragged them all through to the end with my floaty girl, or appearing outside the door at the boss and waiting until the 2 inside finished their game, lol.

Story looks solid from the 6 GhostRobo videos I've watched. Get through that and reach 30 and go hunting for masterworks and legendaries. Play with the difficulty settings to maximise that when ready. 3 strongholds and 1 more to come soon, contracts and legendary contracts and then free play with world events, unlocking map areas, discovering the hidden locations, all the little lore things to collect - that's plenty to go at. Then we see what the cataclysm brings.

This is worth a watch, it's about 15 minutes of the Destiny Community Podcast the clip in Ryan's video is taken from, interesting to see what people think of the game and where it might go from the perspective of being big Destiny fans.

Ben just retweeted a tweet which included my damage chart :D Nice to see it still shared around.
hah, good one, you're even more famous now. Black bg is better. BTW, what platform are you on for this game? Any plans to do something in the OT for those of us who want to expand our friends lists to boost that Alliance Rep XP? Some sort of list for each platform we can add our names to and add each other.

Their choice. I'd like to be on the train at the start.
All aboard!

Oct 25, 2017
England
Anthem |OT| Take off that suit of armor, and what are you?

I really like this Lump - here's my quick rendition of it :D Fun to play around with this... I also am a big time Iron Man fan, picked up 3 comics when I was 9; Iron Man, Doctor Strange and issue 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man. So seeing those characters come to life in movies, especially how RDJ plays Tony Stark has been a dream for me over my life - I adore the whole "Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist" thing.

hah, good one, you're even more famous now. Black bg is better. BTW, what platform are you on for this game? Any plans to do something in the OT for those of us who want to expand our friends lists to boost that Alliance Rep XP? Some sort of list for each platform we can add our names to and add each other.
I'm not a dark mode fan but was asked to do a dark mode version of the chart so I did, I tried to focus on the actual colour scheme of anthem white/orange/red so never imagined that the white background would be bad/annoying to some. But made the dark mode version quickly and people seemed to like it:

In terms of a list for the OT, the gamertags channel on discord is kind of that already people list their platform and username on said platform. I'd happily put a list together or help someone put one together if they want to use the information from the thread + discord to make a usernamer/platform sheet of some kind.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, thats the article I read. Thats pretty cool, actually, and hopefully Bioware still has the chops to make them actual cool villains and not "Lol lets fuck the world because why not." They are humans after all, there should be some kind of weight of you fighting humans when the planet is so fucked up.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, thats the article I read. Thats pretty cool, actually, and hopefully Bioware still has the chops to make them actual cool villains and not "Lol lets fuck the world because why not." They are humans after all, there should be some kind of weight of you fighting humans when the planet is so fucked up.
I think the Game Awards trailer did a pretty good job at that. I was quite baffled at the end when i found out that whole trailer was narrated by the Monitor.

Oct 31, 2017
It's all sounding good. Shame I am away over the 15th but a 10 hour trial is no good for me. Will be back on the 19th, so only a few days till full launch, so I will wait it out and jump in with everyone.

Nov 27, 2017
Right, which is the problem since a member of an order of knights is the polar opposite of a freelancer.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of "freelancers" in this universe - we're one of the few groups who actively goes outside the wall and gets our hands dirty, to make sure everyone else is safe. We handle menial jobs like "hey some scorpions are building nests too close to the fort" and bigger tasks like "go collect this ancient artifact"

We take any job that needs doing because we are the only ones who can do it, and we don't have loyalty to any specific faction, because we are united under a common idea: the preservation and success of humanity.

Almost getting a grey warden vibe from the freelancers, which is really cool.

Oct 27, 2017
I am really curious also about the Cyphers.

• There is a folk tale of the first cypher. It was a daughter of an Engineer, who "developed strange new abilities" not long after the Cataclysm. She could "see faraway things" or "talk directly into another's mind". Soon, Arcanists arrived and presented her with an experiment to help them test device that would amplify her gift. However, girl's mind "ventured too far from her body and became lost to the music of the Anthem of Creation". It is believed that "cyphers glimpse the engineer's daughter while in their amplifier".

Oct 25, 2017
No real reason for healers with how much healing stuff drops. Maybe some buffing abilities or something could be cool. Anything like the Virtuoso from DA:I would be sick.

Nov 27, 2017
Sometimes names stick around long after a group has evolved to serve a new purpose.
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the affixes on loot, weapons in particular, aren't as random as we've seen so far. Its gonna be frustrating as fuck getting a legendary LMG and having shit like bonus shotgun ammo or increased sniper damage on it. Diablo 3 did that initially and people hated it.

Oct 31, 2017
I dunno, usually you see 1 class with some sort of healing ability. I would have expected Storm to have some sort of aoe healing ability or something like that for survivability.
The ranger has Support slots, so I would like to see more than the damage reduction or the projectile negate bubble. Maybe having some items you can plant to regen shield of hp would be nice.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd expect to see some "Whenever you _____ you heal for _____" type items eventually.

I really hope the affixes on loot, weapons in particular, aren't as random as we've seen so far. Its gonna be frustrating as fuck getting a legendary LMG and having shit like bonus shotgun ammo or increased sniper damage on it. Diablo 3 did that initially and people hated it.
That's supposed to be fixed iirc. So that items won't roll with inscriptions that apply to a different type.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like this Lump - here's my quick rendition of it :D Fun to play around with this... I also am a big time Iron Man fan, picked up 3 comics when I was 9; Iron Man, Doctor Strange and issue 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man. So seeing those characters come to life in movies, especially how RDJ plays Tony Stark has been a dream for me over my life - I adore the whole "Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist" thing.

I'm not a dark mode fan but was asked to do a dark mode version of the chart so I did, I tried to focus on the actual colour scheme of anthem white/orange/red so never imagined that the white background would be bad/annoying to some. But made the dark mode version quickly and people seemed to like it:

In terms of a list for the OT, the gamertags channel on discord is kind of that already people list their platform and username on said platform. I'd happily put a list together or help someone put one together if they want to use the information from the thread + discord to make a usernamer/platform sheet of some kind.
That’s real good

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, usually you see 1 class with some sort of healing ability. I would have expected Storm to have some sort of aoe healing ability or something like that for survivability.
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny, for example. The thing about Anthem though is that health packs are very common drops and your shield automatically regenerates not to mention your shields and health fully replenish upon Ultimate usage meaning that those combined with the movement options in the game are already plenty healing.

Now add the piece of loot that gives Colossus 33% Health back when using their launcher ability, Lifesteal builds for Storm and Interceptor along with various defensive support abilities in the game and you've got a lot of survivability for every class.

Oct 25, 2017
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny
Yes there are. The Warlock has entire builds centered around healing (Healing Rift along with the Devour ability). Which is why I thought the Stormcaller class would have some sort of healing or faster shield recharge ability.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.
Im gonna go out on a limb here and risk that a ton of the original concept of Anthem was axed. The Sentinels, Arcanists and Freelancers are something like a direct comparison to the Destiny guardians, but they retrofitted them all in an umbrella of the Freelancers. I think the nice "Rivalry/Camaraderie" that exists between the factions fo Destiny is not really possible in Anthem, since you are not a Storm, Ranger or Colossus, you are a pilot who has all of the Javelins.

Oct 27, 2017
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny, for example. The thing about Anthem though is that health packs are very common drops and your shield automatically regenerates not to mention your shields and health fully replenish upon Ultimate usage meaning that those combined with the movement options in the game are already plenty healing.

Now add the piece of loot that gives Colossus 33% Health back when using their launcher ability, Lifesteal builds for Storm and Interceptor along with various defensive support abilities in the game and you've got a lot of survivability for every class.
Damn, I didn't realise that the interceptor had health steal, I knew about stats that give 2% health on every pickup but that's about it.

Oct 31, 2017
I am not sure if I want items to drop that passively support, abilities that we can mod to support or some weapon similar to Overwatch Mercy that heals.

Oct 30, 2017
Im gonna go out on a limb here and risk that a ton of the original concept of Anthem was axed. The Sentinels, Arcanists and Freelancers are something like a direct comparison to the Destiny guardians, but they retrofitted them all in an umbrella of the Freelancers. I think the nice "Rivalry/Camaraderie" that exists between the factions fo Destiny is not really possible in Anthem, since you are not a Storm, Ranger or Colossus, you are a pilot who has all of the Javelins.
that's one of the things that kill the mystique of the game for me, I know being just a pilot that switches between suits is fun for some, but for me, having a faction of Colossi, Storm, Interceptors and Rangers would have been cooler.

Dojima

Banned
Jan 25, 2019
This is worth a watch, it's about 15 minutes of the Destiny Community Podcast the clip in Ryan's video is taken from, interesting to see what people think of the game and where it might go from the perspective of being big Destiny fans.
I’d like to hear reasonable Destiny fans talking about Anthem. I’ll definitely hear their opinions because I already got fed up from the ones shitting on the game for nothing

Oct 28, 2017
These games tend to avoid the active healing role because most players want to focus on damage rather than healing. Which, when the trinity is used in a traditional way, leads to imbalance across the classes and negatively effects Endgame PvE. It would require queue systems that filled in the roles specifically, which leads to longer queue times since there are less people playing healing/tanking roles. Giving everyone self survival alleviates those issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.