Anthem Prelaunch Discussion Thread (Origin Premier/EA Access: Feb 15th) - Time To Fly FreelancEra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalinaar

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
that's one of the things that kill the mystique of the game for me, I know being just a pilot that switches between suits is fun for some, but for me, having a faction of Colossi, Storm, Interceptors and Rangers would have been cooler.
This is actually a good thing for me. I certainly dont want to tied down to a class as i progress in the game. Having the ability to switch is really important even though i will probably end up with a main Javelin. You dont need factions to have a interesting narrative , I mean Destiny story is pretty meh ..

Oct 30, 2017
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny, for example. The thing about Anthem though is that health packs are very common drops and your shield automatically regenerates not to mention your shields and health fully replenish upon Ultimate usage meaning that those combined with the movement options in the game are already plenty healing.

Now add the piece of loot that gives Colossus 33% Health back when using their launcher ability, Lifesteal builds for Storm and Interceptor along with various defensive support abilities in the game and you've got a lot of survivability for every class.
Yes there are, the Warlock is the Healing Class - there is the passive healing rift that creates a pool of light that heals you allies when they step in it

and Forsaken introduced the Super: Well of Radiance which created a massive rift that buffs, heals, and grant overshield for all who step inside.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody talks about it, but I love that the Scars are hives of insects mimicing higher lifeforms. It reminds me of The Sandkings. Maybe there will be a javelin that makes use of organic tech taken from Scars

Oct 30, 2017
This is actually a good thing for me. I certainly dont want to tied down to a class as i progress in the game. Having the ability to switch is really important even though i will probably end up with a main Javelin. You dont need factions to have a interesting narrative , I mean Destiny story is pretty meh ..
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.

Oct 29, 2017
Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.
FWIW unless things have changed in the last few months I'm pretty sure the game starts with you getting your ass kicked along with more experienced Lancers, and Freelancers are on everyone's shitlist for the failure you're a part of at the beginning. How the characterization of Freelancers evolves from there remains to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW unless things have changed in the last few months I'm pretty sure the game starts with you getting your ass kicked along with more experienced Lancers, and Freelancers are on everyone's shitlist for the failure you're a part of at the beginning. How the characterization of Freelancers evolves from there remains to be seen.
That is still how almost every single game from Bioware from the last 8 years starts. You are a beginner on the "Special Group", something goes horribly wrong, your mentor dies or is disabled, you fill his shoes and go on to become the "best X the world has ever seen". I have hope, but I don't actually believe Bioware is going to make your character a competent but skilled Freelancer, instead of "The Hero We Need and The Only One Who Can Stop The Heart of Rage."

Something that I think would be really cool would be a "Mercenary Clan" that your character starts on his or her own after that disaster, and you would slowly build up with gear, engineers, etc, that would unlock new parts and stuff. I'm not really a fan of the "Hero" aspect Bioware is going for. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but they did that so many times before.

Course, everything can change on launch, let's see.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
That is still how almost every single game from Bioware from the last 8 years starts. You are a beginner on the "Special Group", something goes horribly wrong, your mentor dies or is disabled, you fill his shoes and go on to become the "best X the world has ever seen". I have hope, but I don't actually believe Bioware is going to make your character a competent but skilled Freelancer, instead of "The Hero We Need and The Only One Who Can Stop The Heart of Rage."
Last 8 years? Try last 18 lol. Even NWN OC follows the tried and true BioWare template.

It's annoying and cloying how BioWare leans into the player power fantasy bullshit but it is what it is.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes there are, the Warlock is the Healing Class - there is the passive healing rift that creates a pool of light that heals you allies when they step in it

and Forsaken introduced the Super: Well of Radiance which created a massive rift that buffs, heals, and grant overshield for all who step inside.

Okay yeah I forgot about that ability. Aside from that though, there's nothing that makes any class a healer, but yeah since they've got support abilities in Anthem that buff teammates who stand in the field then I could see a Well of Radiance clone being added.

Dalinaar

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.
True but this is Bioware we are talking about and the do lore really well too.We have got just a glimpse of what the lore in Anthem is. I cant wait to see whats instore for us lore wise as Anthem matures.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I didn't realise that the interceptor had health steal, I knew about stats that give 2% health on every pickup but that's about it.
Yeah there's an upgrade that grants 20% or so shields back whenever you use one of the close range abilities, (the kick?) I forget which exactly. Same goes for Storm too.

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

Something that I think would be really cool would be a "Mercenary Clan" that your character starts on his or her own after that disaster, and you would slowly build up with gear, engineers, etc, that would unlock new parts and stuff. I'm not really a fan of the "Hero" aspect Bioware is going for. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but they did that so many times before.

Course, everything can change on launch, let's see.
Pretty sure one of their intro to Anthem videos straight out says that you become the pivotal savior figure by the end of the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure one of their intro to Anthem videos straight out says that you become the pivotal savior figure by the end of the story.
Which one? If true, that fucking sucks. Even on Destiny, your character becomes "Legend", but he or she is now a part of the famous guys, not the savior of all humankind.

Fuck me. I guess its my fault for expecting something good from BW.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah I forgot about that ability. Aside from that though, there's nothing that makes any class a healer, but yeah since they've got support abilities in Anthem that buff teammates who stand in the field then I could see a Well of Radiance clone being added.
That's wrong too, I can think of at least one Titan skill tree where melee damage heals/gives overshields to surrounding teammates in a certain range. I also have the Crest of Alpha Lupi equipped, which heals teammates next to my Titan shield.

Oct 26, 2017
That's wrong too, I can think of at least one Titan skill tree where melee damage heals/gives overshields to surrounding teammates in a certain range. I also have the Crest of Alpha Lupi equipped, which heals teammates next to my Titan shield.
I don't remember Alpha Lupi doing that. Forsaken? I haven't played it.

You get a 10 hour trial starting same time as premiere full game so I would have thought you'll be able to pre-load the same. If you add Anthem to your game library in Origin, it should say the pre-load date and time on the icon.
I just checked, and if there's going to be a preload for basic subs, I won't be able to add it to my library until EA updates the play first section.

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Which one? If true, that fucking sucks. Even on Destiny, your character becomes "Legend", but he or she is now a part of the famous guys, not the savior of all humankind.

Fuck me. I guess its my fault for expecting something good from BW.
Okay, I found it. The way she says it, it could be 'you' the PC or simply the freelancers faction.

As a freelancer you are the bridge between the heroic adventures discovered in our world and the personal journey that unravels in my story.
And ultimately... the key to the fate of everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the freeplay works, can I do what I do in Destiny 2 and go to an area freely and there will mobs I can kill or just jump into random events and shit

Oct 29, 2017
i know they can’t control a lot about the release strategy, but how silly is it to ask us not to spoil ourselves on streams when the game is literally being released days earlier for preorders than for the gen public what do they expect to happen?

Oct 27, 2017
"This wasn't just four or five insects! This was thousands! An entire colony working together to make arms and legs... to make heads and... eyes. They became people!" – Eyewitness account, Arcanist records

https://anthem.fandom.com/wiki/Scars

Okay, wow that's really cool and all this time I thought Scars are typical generic scavenger/outcast faction using makeshift equipment and Javelin (I thought the big shield dude is basically makeshift Colossus lmao)

Now I kinda wish they give enemies some kind of combat chatter.

Oct 26, 2017
Ofcourse I’ll be using the alliance system. Why anyone wouldn’t?
My guess, and I could be wrong, is that you have to manually collect the rewards from the Alliance system menu somewhere in Tarsis so if you never go there you are basically not using it?

I dunno!

Oct 25, 2017
i know they can’t control a lot about the release strategy, but how silly is it to ask us not to spoil ourselves on streams when the game is literally being released days earlier for preorders than for the gen public what do they expect to happen?
Agreed. We’ve talked about it and I’m in the camp who would gladly do whatever to play “early” on my platform of choice. Kinda fuckt that PC folk who may not even be outright buying the game get such a huge head start and those of us who can’t use that platform have no option but to play spoiler dodger.

With that said, I will be keeping the general discussion channel in the ERA Discord as spoiler free as possible but will not be able to watch the channel all the time. Hopefully our PC brethren are mindful of that and keep discussion to the spoiler channel.

Oct 27, 2017
How can you not use the alliance system?
I am assuming he's not just talking about the default system that's in place that works automatically, but rather telling you to build up some randomly huge contacts list, and not to rely on just the list of the more recent people you've played with that is tracked by the game.

Jan 14, 2019
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.
People always blame marketing lol. It was a dev team idea and decision.

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game is not being released days earlier for pre-orders. Pre-orders still launch on the 22nd too.

The only possible way to play in 15th Feb early access is by subbing to Origin Premier on PC (and 10 hours trial on XBox/PC).

Oct 25, 2017
California
So the alliance thing....if I understand right its not so much rewarding if you have a lot of friends who play casually, but rather than you have a few friends that play a lot regularly? Quality over quantity? Isn't it a safe bet that most of Era is probably gonna fall into the latter?

Oct 25, 2017
So the alliance thing....if I understand right its not so much rewarding if you have a lot of friends who play casually, but rather than you have a few friends that play a lot regularly? Quality over quantity? Isn't it a safe bet that most of Era is probably gonna fall into the latter?
Basically. Top 5 contributors determine the reward you get. More people gives you a larger safety net

Oct 30, 2017
Then maybe dont release the game for a select few ten days before a general release.

It's the same streamers first attitude a lot of devs and pubs are latching on to now that caused the infamous mtx screenshot to leak.

Within 10 hours of release spoiler thumbnails will be all over youtube, count on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.