• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Anthem Prelaunch Discussion Thread (Origin Premier/EA Access: Feb 15th) - Time To Fly FreelancEra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2017
Ok I've totally come around and have warmed up to this game. Didn't play the demo or anything but I've watched a lot of vids about it. I'm gonna wait a week and see the reviews and what people are saying, see how the servers hold up and so on, but barring some catastrophe I'm all in on this baby!

Looks like I'll be choosing the Ranger or Interceptor.

Jan 10, 2018
Umeå, Sweden
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.
What? That’s usually one of the main criticisms of Destiny. The lore is very vague and left out of the actual game. I for one hate how they handle lore and exposition in that game. There’s not even any codex texts to unlock while you explore.

Oct 30, 2017
What? That’s usually one of the main criticisms of Destiny. The lore is very vague and left out of the actual game. I for one hate how they handle lore and exposition in that game. There’s not even any codex texts to unlock while you explore.
In-game storytelling is one of the main criticisms of Destiny, that changed with Forsaken, but the lore has always deep an amazing, it was in Grimoire cards you couldn't access in-game but its in-game now too. There are triumphs, lore collections etc

Jan 10, 2018
Umeå, Sweden
In-game storytelling is one of the main criticisms of Destiny, that changed with Forsaken, but the lore has always deep an amazing, it was in Grimoire cards you couldn't access in-game but its in-game now too. There are triumphs, lore collections etc

Haven’t played Forsaken yet so I can’t comment on how the lore is handled in that expansion. But up until that point I still don’t have a clue about some of the things in the world. I don’t know anything about the City for instance. When was it built? Where is it placed? How is life there? Why is the Tower placed on the walls and not the middle? Religion? Society issues? Commerse? Infrastructure? If it was a Bioware game those things would’ve been explained in great detail with simple codex texts as soon as you interacted with something.

I remember starting Destiny when it was released and I was so curious about everything in its beautiful world, but the game didn’t even explain basic things such as the amnesia of your Guardian and much less about the world as you were exploring. It was the number one thing I was disappointed about because it could’ve made the world feel less hollow and much more interesting to explore. Imagine going to that russian location and listening to tapes and reading about the people that worked there and endured the conflict. So much potential!

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me the alliance system a bit more? The way I understand it is you activate alliance system rewards by playing with those on your friends list? Is this your psn/xbox live/origin friends list or is it the "favourite player" option in game that determines who is part of the alliance?

Somebody mentioned that top 5 contributors determines reward for everyone, do you get this reward if one person from the contributors is on your friends list or do you have to have everyone from the top 5 in your list? How often are the alliance rewards distributed? Do you need to have simply played with some of the people in that time period to be eligible for reward?

I'm just really confused about how it works!

Oct 30, 2017
Haven’t played Forsaken yet so I can’t comment on how the lore is handled in that expansion. But up until that point I still don’t have a clue about some of the things in the world. I don’t know anything about the City for instance. When was it built? Where is it placed? How is life there? Why is the Tower placed on the walls and not the middle? Religion? Society issues? Commerse? Infrastructure? If it was a Bioware game those things would’ve been explained in great detail with simple codex texts as soon as you interacted with something.

I remember starting Destiny when it was released and I was so curious about everything in its beautiful world, but the game didn’t even explain basic things such as the amnesia of your Guardian and much less about the world as you were exploring. It was the number one thing I was disappointed about because it could’ve made the world feel less hollow and much more interesting to explore. Imagine going to that russian location and listening to tapes and reading about the people that worked there and endured the conflict. So much potential!
A lot of that does get answers in game and in lore, Guardians amnesia is tackled in Warmind and so is the question of the creation of the exos. The events of Forsaken completely shakes up the universe and splinters the vanguard.

The Destiny 2 zavala trailer actually gives a small intro into the creation of the city.

This is an Anthem thread so lore wise I hope there is more happening than dudes on mechs.

Oct 31, 2017
So it's like factions in Destiny 2? (Dead Orbit, FWC, and New Monarchy)
Seems that way. Do will do missions for them which increases your rank and, if high enough, you get to do the Legendary Contracts for high-end loot. I get the feeling they may also go the WoW route, where you get cosmetic and no cosmetic items as rewards for each faction.

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Can someone explain to me the alliance system a bit more? The way I understand it is you activate alliance system rewards by playing with those on your friends list? Is this your psn/xbox live/origin friends list or is it the "favourite player" option in game that determines who is part of the alliance?

Somebody mentioned that top 5 contributors determines reward for everyone, do you get this reward if one person from the contributors is on your friends list or do you have to have everyone from the top 5 in your list? How often are the alliance rewards distributed? Do you need to have simply played with some of the people in that time period to be eligible for reward?

I'm just really confused about how it works!
So it's like factions in Destiny 2? (Dead Orbit, FWC, and New Monarchy)
Dev post about Alliances: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...ce_system_and_guilds/?st=JRMNTBAX&sh=72bfc1e6

Still pretty vague and line between them and Guilds is blurry, but at least some idea about how they are supposed to work.

texhnolyze

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Dev post about Alliances: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...ce_system_and_guilds/?st=JRMNTBAX&sh=72bfc1e6

Still pretty vague and line between them and Guilds is blurry, but at least some idea about how they are supposed to work.
Sounds like Alliances and guilds are what Free companies and linkshells are in Final Fantasy XIV.

Alliances/Free companies are more formal and organized, while guilds/linkshells are smaller community groups for socializing and chatting.

texhnolyze

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
One day I hope they have a public space that can support loads of players, just so we can see everyone's crazy Javelins.
I think the current 16-players social hub is good enough for a start. Though I agree that the more the merrier, 64 should be sufficient.

They might expand the number later at some point later. For reference, PSO2 social hub can accommodate up to 150 players.

Nov 2, 2017
I just need this game....its done something to me. I'm completely hooked. Don't even want to play anything else.

Really hope the servers are good on Friday and most of the issues (like infinite loading, weird mission glitches etc) are ironed out so I can enjoy my 10 hours. By Sunday I'll be desperate for the 22nd to roll around so I can play again.

Feb 19, 2018
London
I just need this game....its done something to me. I'm completely hooked. Don't even want to play anything else.

Really hope the servers are good on Friday and most of the issues (like infinite loading, weird mission glitches etc) are ironed out so I can enjoy my 10 hours. By Sunday I'll be desperate for the 22nd to roll around so I can play again.
If you're only going to have the 10 hours, might want to be prepared to wait a couple days into the early access before playing so they iron out whatever launch issues there are.

Oct 25, 2017
England
Time to open the flood gates. The flood gates have been closed once again.

Well.... this will please some people and annoy others. Making an OT in a vacuum has its positives and negatives, one of those negatives is choosing a title because so many people have different opinions about what the OT Title should be, it's also (more often than not) the first thing a member or lurker on Era will read before entering the thread. I've been vocally 'against' a particular title for a while but I am also aware that this title is the clear frontrunner in terms of popularity in this thread. I've also been told that as I'm the one posting the OT, it's my choice and I should go with what I want. However, I really love collaboration and even more so, choice. Choice is such an important thing so with that said.. I present to you the Poll to End all Polls:
OT TITLE POLL NOW CLOSED

OT WILL GO LIVE AT 10:30pm UTC TODAY (13th)

I picked some of my favourties, some of the communities favourites and then added the 'one' in question back in... I'm already expecting it to be the frontrunner for this poll by a huge landslide... so why I am doing a poll? Choice. To let you all have your voices heard and involved in creating the OT in someway. My personal favourites are "Javelin a good time" and "Time to Grabbit and Fly" but you pick your favourite and which ever one has the highest votes by Wednesday (13th) will be the OT title when it's posted later that day. (Yes the OT is being posted at 10:30pm UTC on 13th because that's actually 24hrs before the Early Access opens on the 14th... weird that it's not the 15th, I know, but 10:30pm UTC on the 14th is the official unlock time on Origin).

I hope this is okay and a fair way for the Anthem community here to pick this as transparently as possible. Whatever happens I am excited to post the OT on Wednesday night, 24 hours ahead of the Early Access opening on Thursday night.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I went with "Guns don't kill people, abilities do" because 1) it's clever, 2) it highlights one of the big differences between Anthem and similar games, 3) it's educational for new players.

I think GaaS Effect is also clever and it got a chuckle out of me, but it sounds like a complaint about EA turning the Mass Effect IP into an easy cash cow and I'm not sure if that's the kinda vibe you wanna start off with in an OT about a game that's already gotten plenty of haters.

Oct 25, 2017
England
I appreciate the nomination iFirez

Kinda of a tongue in cheek reference but I thought it was all in good fun.

I came up with Freelancers give it 95%
I added the two 95% related ones because it became a lil' bit of a meme during the demo play sessions, especially VIP. While I'm already aware which one will win I liked the option of having a variety of funny, serious and meme focuses titles for people to choose from.

I'd say...

Oct 25, 2017
England
I feel a bit stupid but I don't even get the "GaaS Effect" one?

I must be missing something obvious.....
GaaS = Games as a service
Effect = Mass Effect (previous Bioware series).
Mash them together, you get GaaS Effect.
I went with "Guns don't kill people, abilities do" because 1) it's clever, 2) it highlights one of the big differences between Anthem and similar games, 3) it's educational for new players.

I think GaaS Effect is also clever and it got a chuckle out of me, but it sounds like a complaint about EA turning the Mass Effect IP into an easy cash cow and I'm not sure if that's the kinda vibe you wanna start off with in an OT about a game that's already gotten plenty of haters.
Welcome to why I didn't want that title, but as I explained in my post, rather than me just picking a different one, I'm letting the community choose. If they really want that one (which I think will win) then it's a decision made by the community at large, rather than just me.

Nov 2, 2017
GaaS = Games as a service
Effect = Mass Effect (previous Bioware series).
Mash them together, you get GaaS Effect.

Welcome to why I didn't want that title, but as I explained in my post, rather than me just picking a different one, I'm letting the community choose. If they really want that one (which I think will win) then it's a decision made by the community at large, rather than just me.
Oh. Thanks.

I won't be voting for that one then!

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
And this is why Gaas Effect will win and why OT will contain plenty salt and hate towards the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup

Oct 25, 2017
England
Like I said earlier in this thread, our opinions on this title are the same but I felt like it was necessary to include in the poll because of the vocal 'lovers' of that title and being unbiased I guess.
What`s the 95%-thing refering to?
During the VIP Demo a bug plauged many players where they were stuck at 95% in loading screens and then couldn't progress any further.

Oct 28, 2017
So that's the big problem? People talking like "GaaS" is a dirty word. It's just a revenue model that's standard and present throughout the industry. That recent thread proved it's people's ignorance that's the problem, they don't see beyond bind lootbox mtx and evil corporations wanting to bleed their wallets dry.

If people come into the Anthem OT to shitpost, which they will regardless, moderators will channel the anthem of creation and fry their arses like the level 2 skorpion workers they are.

There is no point in playing on hard until you hit level 30, you’ll replace your gear fast on the way up so an increased drop rate doesn’t matter.
I'd decided that, but the devs seem to think it's worth it to simply add to the challenge given recent tweets. I think if the balance is similar to the demo, normal is going to be too easy for a lot of people. But yeah, I'll only bump it up if anything seems too trivial. or I feel too OP.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I got Origin Access Premier to give this a shot. Going to play it for that time and then see if I want to keep it up or play The Division 2 instead. Both betas impressed me (though Division was much more stable) from a gamepoint perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
England
So that's the big problem? People talking like "GaaS" is a dirty word. It's just a revenue model that's standard and present throughout the industry. That recent thread proved it's people's ignorance that's the problem, they don't see beyond bind lootbox mtx and evil corporations wanting to bleed their wallets dry.

If people come into the Anthem OT to shitpost, which they will regardless, moderators will channel the anthem of creation and fry their arses like the level 2 skorpion workers they are.
This argument is actually why I included it in the poll. The idea that "trolls will troll regardless of if they're incited to do so more by the title" is pretty much how I feel about it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.