• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I really want this game to be good! I'm in day 1 if they have a solid foundation and no technical issues.

The scope and potential of this game is amazing. Hope they support it well and keep improving, since it's far from perfect as of yet.

I played the vip demo, and just a bit of the open demo. Initially mixed opinions, especially the loading bothering me a lot. It should be a seemless experience.
But the shooting and flying is amazing. I don't get the complaints about shooting...guns feel good, they are not powerful but that's a deliberate design decision.

In short: improve technical issues, loading, steady release of content. Hope it looks great and like the initial reveal on next gen consoles...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
There is something I cant describe maybe because I am not an artist but every design in this game feels perfectly generic.

I think their designs in the Mass Effect trilogy were a lot better though I can't quite describe why ,and I was never a mass effect fan per se.

But the enemies and the characters are such a turn off visually.

i think the "Javelins" look like from an ad/package for a graphics card.

51cMk2kovnL._SY450_.jpg
DCEx-w_XYAA7eYB.jpg

.-)

BigTastyBoi

Jul 23, 2018
Apologies if this is a bit of a long one..

Been playing the demo both weekends with a couple of friends. First weekend was a bit of a disaster but we managed to get the story missions done, had a bit of a run around in free play and, most importantly got given all 4 classes to try for the next session.

The Friday evening of the second weekend we played for over 6 hours straight. Ended up with me in a Colossus and my friends in a Storm and a Ranger. Ran the Stronghold a few times on normal to gear up then gave it a go on hard.

Holy hell, we got rekt the first 5 minutes of our hard run, turrets and snipers were one shotting us all over the place and we couldn't DPS down a single shielded enemy one on one. We had a chat and worked out some strategies (as well as thinking more about our class roles) and started focusing down enemies one at a time, using our flight to disrupt the snipers and prioritising combos whenever possible.

I have to say, when we got into a rhythm it was an absolute blast. Initially I was fairly disappointed with the colossus, but once I equipped some decent gear, found the gun which suited me (Mauler FTW) and got my head around the combo system I was having a blast. I found that I could use my Autocannon to suppress and eliminate most of the ads, using combos for CC (my buddy playing the Storm was on point with his freezing) and building meter.If anything nasty needed taking down, I could give it a quick spray of bullets or a railgun shot, pop a taunt and slowly fall back with my shield up, allowing my friends to get behind it and single target combo it into the ground.
Also, nothing feels as good as dropping out of the sky onto a sniper, landing like an absolute house and blatting them everywhere with my melee, Autocannon and Railgun/Flamethrower.

Admittedly there were a few issues. First weekend was plagued by infinite loading, requiring multiple quits and restarts. There was a system in place to pull you back into the same mission on restart though which was nice.
I'm also pretty sure I had a slight issue some times with button presses not registering, on a few occasions I'm sure I pressed B and my shield didn't pop, causing me to eat a bunch of damage. Also towards the end of our Friday night session, my game audio died completely.
Lastly, Fort Tsarsis felt absolutely terrible. I know there's a chance it may improve in the final build but I can't wait to run through the story to the endgame and never have to use it again.

All in all, the demo really sold me on the game, I'll easily get my money's worth just squadding up with my friends and if they make improvements then even better.

I can totally understand the issues and frustrations of others, but, for my friends and I who are huge fans of Mass Effect style combat and fairly enthusiastic WoW/Destiny fans, this really lands in our sweet spot.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
glad to see more people posting positive impressions of the demo...seemed like a lot of mostly negative comments with the VIP demo but the tide started to slowly change with the open demo...

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
The demo was alright.

I could have used a tutorial instead of getting dropped into it like I knew what I was supposed to be doing.

At least this time I managed to play instead of getting stuck in a loading screen.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Just a bit of background info. I'm 34 with a family and I have almost zero time to game anymore.

But! Everyone passed out Saturday and I was left to my own devices. I fired up the demo and had a blast. What appealed to me most is that I didn't need anyone. While I enjoyed destiny at times, it didn't fit my lifestyle. I don't have the time or ability to adhere to a strict gaming schedule and do so in concert with a group of friends. Anthem (at least the demo did) seemed to allow me to join games and kick ass within a realitively short period of time.

I love mecha, I love sci-fi and this game delivered. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and the game didn't feel optimized, hopefully that's resolved. The game seemed to control well and looked pretty decent. I still haven't finished RDR but... I might have to pick this up.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Just a bit of background info. I'm 34 with a family and I have almost zero time to game anymore.

But! Everyone passed out Saturday and I was left to my own devices. I fired up the demo and had a blast. What appealed to me most is that I didn't need anyone. While I enjoyed destiny at times, it didn't fit my lifestyle. I don't have the time or ability to adhere to a strict gaming schedule and do so in concert with a group of friends. Anthem (at least the demo did) seemed to allow me to join games and kick ass within a realitively short period of time.

I love mecha, I love sci-fi and this game delivered. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and the game didn't feel optimized, hopefully that's resolved. The game seemed to control well and looked pretty decent. I still haven't finished RDR but... I might have to pick this up.

I'm with you here.

Destiny is designed to demand a lot of your time and I just don't have the time or the friend group to dedicate to it.

It obviously helps that I love the way the game plays, I just really hope they sort out the technical issues.

I'm still buying as I will easily get a my time out of the basic content and a friend is going to get it as well, so will have someone to bail me out.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Played the demo on PC, had the look of titanfall but the feel or something more like destiny, without the polish.

Only played 1-2 hours of the demo but saw enough that I want to play more when its released.

Game definitely seems like it needed some more time in the oven, hope the full game feels a bit more cooked than the demo.

I am really into HDR gaming on the OLED these days when traditionally I would have used my PC for m/kb...hope they use the power of the x1x so its not much of a downgrade from PC version.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
and when they drop and take the relic with them then no one can complete the stronghold!

Yeah they need to fix some matchmaking stuff :)

I did a story mission, joined a team in progress and got the "end mission screen" after 5 seconds. No I have no clue what happened in that story mission :S

Against the spider boss, we had one guy just standing outside. The boss wasn't triggered and the "warp close to your team" also didn't seem to trigger. We were stuck... luckily he came back 5 minutes later (I guess he was smoking) and we could continue.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem |OT| GaaS Effect
That's the one.

I played a bit more on Sunday. I'm still unsure how it'll be in the full game. Some of it is fun, but there's just so much bullshit too.

The UI and loading screens are just awful. The final-build UI shows some improvements, but I'm guessing the menu system is still a total shitshow. I don't know how anyone at Bioware signed off on the UI.
"Hey Dave, some players want to get straight into the action"
"It's OK boss, we added a quickplay setting"
"Great, how does that work. You hit quickplay from the log-in menu and it drops you in multiplayer at a level-appropriate activity?"
"Well not quite, first you load into your base and have to walk to the launch bay, then you get a loading screen to get to a launch menu"
"Can we not load straight into the mission select"
"No, our artists spent ages designing a vaguely middle-eastern-market-town-in-SPAAAACE! to look at, and there's gigabytes of textures to load. What sort of monster would want to skip thay?"
"Have you played an online game before? But in the mission menu you select a brightly coloured quickplay icon, right?"
"No, you select the "mission select", which brings up a map and then you get a really small control-tip at the bottom saying hold square for quickplay, then you get a menu to choose the type of activity you want to quickplay"
"Okay, and that saves..."
"Oh, it's at least a second faster than selecting the exact mission you want from the map"
"And then it's action-time, right!"
"No, then nothing happens until you back out of the map menu and see that quickplay has appeared as the mission type in the master menu, then you select difficulty, then you select launch"
"You're a fucking imbecile, but I'm being shifted to a new project next week so fuck it, that'll do"

The characters seem pretty dull too. I struggled to pay attention to Jack/Barman/Research-woman/Engineer since they'd just recant long boring story then wait for you to respond with a choice of "Sound fun!" or "Sounds dangerous!". Their conversations were like hearing my son talk about his favourite adventure in whatever cartoon he's been watching. They also all have the same personality, a player-worshipping happy-go-lucky, up for the space-craic, Space-Irish man/woman.
I assume everyone is trying to give the barman the worst possible advice. Though the story ending shows just how pathetically static Tarsis is, "I killed a dude by accident"; "You need to get out of here now!"; "You're right Freelancer, no time to waste" [stays at the bar with the same bored-looking pose he always has]

Anyway, the gameplay is much more important. Level-scalling has a huge effect, since joining people's story on quickplay made me a god among the ranger peasants. Playing as L15 Storm with L10-12 newb Rangers was like being Magneto and just floating overhead, watching the minions fighting like idiots while you nonchalantly destroy everything by waving your hands around a bit.
Destiny/Division had this problem too, where most content was trivially easy once you had high-level stuff.

Storm is overpowered, but I'm not sure how they fix a character than can just sit way above the battle and rain death on everyone.
If enemies are super tight at high difficulties, then I don't see how the interceptor and colossus can remain competitive. Tanking (and relying entirely on health pickups) and melee/hit-n-run tactics won't work when the enemy doesn't die. Storm and ranger will be relatively more powerful, since high-damage bulletsponge enemies favour their snipe-from-cover/10,000-feet playstyles.

I saw the titan, and was very unimpressed. He just kind of stands there and sometimes sticks his hands into the ground to expose a weak-spot. The only way he can hurt you is with the super-beam, which will reduce you to red health but never kill you. He summons more stupid spider-things who do nothing unless you're stupid enough to walk into them. They're just walking ammo/health packs.
The boss has a stupid amount of health, and it just gets boring. Hover, wait for a weak spot to appear and nuke it with abilities/sniper rifle. When your jets get too hot, nuke the spiders, grab ammo and spend 5 seconds cooling off. Repeat this until the Titan despawns because he has insane amounts of health and the rest of your team are blissfully unaware that the Titan exists.
Having 4 players in the open world freeplay is ridiculous. If it's a PUG, you have no way of even signalling that you've found a Titan. So it was just 2 of us fighting it in my game. And I'm pretty sure the other two were thinking "I wonder where this damn Titan event is?"

My theory is that the Ancient Titan has just crashed out of his stronghold mission, and is just dropping into freeplay for a couple of minutes to grab his loot.

The basic enemy designs are just terrible though. They are over-designed with tentacles and they are all dark and low-contrast as fuck. You can't really see what they are in the heat of battle. I had to walk over to the bodies of most enemies, just to see what the fuck they actually were. The darkness-soldier guys look like untextured black placeholders.

I'm going to wait for impressions on the full game from EA access subscribers, but it's really not looking good.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Had a stronghold where we were all looking for the relics and then i noticed that 1 of the randoms had 2 trailing behind them and just flying around.
It would be really nice in the full release if emotes would put some text up on screen. I stood on the plate shooting away without getting anyone's attention on a couple of occasions - if it said somewhere on the screen "Number45 sends up a flare" it would hopefully have made that easier in lieu of actual communication in the squad.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
That's the one.

I played a bit more on Sunday. I'm still unsure how it'll be in the full game. Some of it is fun, but there's just so much bullshit too.

The UI and loading screens are just awful. The final-build UI shows some improvements, but I'm guessing the menu system is still a total shitshow. I don't know how anyone at Bioware signed off on the UI.
"Hey Dave, some players want to get straight into the action"
"It's OK boss, we added a quickplay setting"
"Great, how does that work. You hit quickplay from the log-in menu and it drops you in multiplayer at a level-appropriate activity?"
"Well not quite, first you load into your base and have to walk to the launch bay, then you get a loading screen to get to a launch menu"
"Can we not load straight into the mission select"
"No, our artists spent ages designing a vaguely middle-eastern-market-town-in-SPAAAACE! to look at, and there's gigabytes of textures to load. What sort of monster would want to skip thay?"
"Have you played an online game before? But in the mission menu you select a brightly coloured quickplay icon, right?"
"No, you select the "mission select", which brings up a map and then you get a really small control-tip at the bottom saying hold square for quickplay, then you get a menu to choose the type of activity you want to quickplay"
"Okay, and that saves..."
"Oh, it's at least a second faster than selecting the exact mission you want from the map"
"And then it's action-time, right!"
"No, then nothing happens until you back out of the map menu and see that quickplay has appeared as the mission type in the master menu, then you select difficulty, then you select launch"
"You're a fucking imbecile, but I'm being shifted to a new project next week so fuck it, that'll do"

The characters seem pretty dull too. I struggled to pay attention to Jack/Barman/Research-woman/Engineer since they'd just recant long boring story then wait for you to respond with a choice of "Sound fun!" or "Sounds dangerous!". Their conversations were like hearing my son talk about his favourite adventure in whatever cartoon he's been watching. They also all have the same personality, a player-worshipping happy-go-lucky, up for the space-craic, Space-Irish man/woman.
I assume everyone is trying to give the barman the worst possible advice. Though the story ending shows just how pathetically static Tarsis is, "I killed a dude by accident"; "You need to get out of here now!"; "You're right Freelancer, no time to waste" [stays at the bar with the same bored-looking pose he always has]

Anyway, the gameplay is much more important. Level-scalling has a huge effect, since joining people's story on quickplay made me a god among the ranger peasants. Playing as L15 Storm with L10-12 newb Rangers was like being Magneto and just floating overhead, watching the minions fighting like idiots while you nonchalantly destroy everything by waving your hands around a bit.
Destiny/Division had this problem too, where most content was trivially easy once you had high-level stuff.

Storm is overpowered, but I'm not sure how they fix a character than can just sit way above the battle and rain death on everyone.
If enemies are super tight at high difficulties, then I don't see how the interceptor and colossus can remain competitive. Tanking (and relying entirely on health pickups) and melee/hit-n-run tactics won't work when the enemy doesn't die. Storm and ranger will be relatively more powerful, since high-damage bulletsponge enemies favour their snipe-from-cover/10,000-feet playstyles.

I saw the titan, and was very unimpressed. He just kind of stands there and sometimes sticks his hands into the ground to expose a weak-spot. The only way he can hurt you is with the super-beam, which will reduce you to red health but never kill you. He summons more stupid spider-things who do nothing unless you're stupid enough to walk into them. They're just walking ammo/health packs.
The boss has a stupid amount of health, and it just gets boring. Hover, wait for a weak spot to appear and nuke it with abilities/sniper rifle. When your jets get too hot, nuke the spiders, grab ammo and spend 5 seconds cooling off. Repeat this until the Titan despawns because he has insane amounts of health and the rest of your team are blissfully unaware that the Titan exists.
Having 4 players in the open world freeplay is ridiculous. If it's a PUG, you have no way of even signalling that you've found a Titan. So it was just 2 of us fighting it in my game. And I'm pretty sure the other two were thinking "I wonder where this damn Titan event is?"

My theory is that the Ancient Titan has just crashed out of his stronghold mission, and is just dropping into freeplay for a couple of minutes to grab his loot.

The basic enemy designs are just terrible though. They are over-designed with tentacles and they are all dark and low-contrast as fuck. You can't really see what they are in the heat of battle. I had to walk over to the bodies of most enemies, just to see what the fuck they actually were. The darkness-soldier guys look like untextured black placeholders.

I'm going to wait for impressions on the full game from EA access subscribers, but it's really not looking good.

Can I have a tldr?

Lol, I agree with the majority of your post. The only thing I personally disagree with, is your view on the interceptor not being competitve (yes I'm biased) (also playing on normal for now). I've got the plasma star and seeking glaive (sometimes chryo glaive) equipped. The damage that the plasma star does is plenty enough as is. But then, I've also got a recharge consumable equipped, which decreases the recharge speed by 10% (and that's only a green consumable). Once I manage to find a blue or purple one, or even multiple, I'll be able to pretty much spam the plasma star and seeking glaive. My weapons all have x amount of extra damage, and my glaive and plasma star both come with extra shield stats, health drops, and 2% health on each pickup.

Yeah, shielded enemies are a problem at the start, but I have have a target scan equipped, that weakens an enemy by 33%. Put that on them, hit them with a seeking glaive, and a few plasma stars, and then they're ripe for the picking.

Normal enemies, I can dispatch groups at the same time with my melee, while also throwing in a few plasma stars if I want. E.g., in the stronghold, where the enemies come from behind the webbing, I just jump behind the webbing and melee to my heart's content lol. That quickly replenishes my ultimate, and I use that on the spider boss. Rinse and repeat. I'm not saying it's the highest dps or even that I'm a decent player, but don't think that the interceptor isn't competitive.

Enemy turrets (elites?) can be dispatched with 5 plasma stars without fail from a massive distance. And the elite scar enforcers (elites), are pretty easy too. That's even before I use my ultimate. I've taken down three of them in pretty much the same time, and it's not hard. I can only imagine what someone with real skill could do with the interceptor...

None of that even includes the dodging and dashing while attacking, and then dashing to a safe distance.

tldr: the interceptor is phenomal and game changing, and will be fine at higher difficulties imo :p

Status
Not open for further replies.