• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any cool/funny ideas for OT title ideas? I like "I AM JAV-E-LIN" and "Javelin a good time" as they're both Anthem based and play off it. Looking for titles that don't reference other similar games or prior IP's of BioWare - just a good, wholesome Anthem reference. Something like "We are the Anthem" or "Time to fly".
I've mentioned this in the thread before I think:

Anthem |OT| Guns don't kill people, abilities do

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Thanks for the suggestions of all the OT titles everyone. Slight thread derailment with that, so let's jump back on the tracks and get back to all things Anthem. I may collect all my favourite ones into a poll and let people vote; don't hold me to that but that's the current plan, thanks again all.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Sorry, just one more...

Anthem |OT| I Don't Want That Omelette

Carry on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Me right now...

All in my emotions...

Sony you ain't shit...If we had EA Access I could play a little earlier.....I still love you though.
rcE6wg.gif

EA I stood behind you after the MTX debacle and I defended when others wouldn't please give me another demo or maybe release it early. Please...please...EA you said you will see me through this...

giphy.gif

I cannot wait.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've mentioned this in the thread before I think:

Anthem |OT| Guns don't kill people, abilities do
I read that as "Guns don't kill people, Grabbits do" to begin with.

Just to help get this thread back on track:

This was posted/talked about a few pages back but I just wanted to bring it up again for anyone who's story mad like me. I may be somewhat known for my charts/graphics for Anthem but things like damage types and properties have never been my focus with games - I love their stories, the worlds, the characters, so I'm excited to not only experience what BioWare has to tell us through missions but also the Cortex with its descriptions and lore entries to breath more life into Anthem, the past, our enemies - all of it. I hope we get some more great info on the Scar race because they are fascinating to me; here's what we know so far:
"Created by chaos," the Scars are a relentless invasive force, not native to the world that humanity calls home. They arrived on the world via Shaper technology, with whom they have a mysterious connection

A colonial swarm of insects that mimics the dominant life-form in an area, Scars first appeared from a Cataclysm in 413 L.V. At the time, Freelancers defeated a large, vicious creature none of them recognized. Later, unknown to Freelancers, the Scars regrouped and changed their mimicry to appear human. Scars then hijacked striders, cobbled together technology from scrap, and searched for Shaper relics. Inventive scavengers, they left nothing behind. As Arcanist researcher Hanni Blythe stated, "Empathy towards Scars is foolhardy, for their primary concern isn't domination or survival, but mindless, thoughtless consumption. They're a scourge, a plague upon this world."

Scar can deploy via red portals hovering above the ground, appearing in flashes of light. While not technically alien, they aren't human either, and can't even be considered to be humanoid (in actual fact, they're insectoid). However, they did try to emulate humans in taking the form they did. They appear to converse in a guttural language.

The Scars are currently in conflict with the Freelancers, as they are trying to retrieve Shaper technology (an action the Freelancers are opposed to).
This sort of stuff really intrigues me and helps get a better feeling for the world of Anthem and its turbulent past.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
^^ I saw (and I think I posted it in the Discord the other day) the Gamesradar article talking about story but I didn't watch it. I'm keeping myself in the dark before the launch, but I hope the story has something to offer.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This work week is going to be rough. Not been this exited for a game since Diablo 3 in 2012.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's going to be though being one week without visiting ERA, reddit or twitter. I guess I'll just stick to APEX until the 22nd.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Anthem new info from Ryan

Haven't watched it yet so I apologize if it's already known

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Anthem new info from Ryan
Haven't watched it yet so I apologize if it's already known
There's some new stuff right at the start that touches on reacting to how people are playing the game - they mention exploits, so if people are heavily farming activities and breaking the game in some way they can seemingly do stuff pretty rapidly to counter it. Probably more confident in this than they were when they mentioned GM2 & GM3 being locked out, fearing what harm that might do to player retention if they got trivialised... the fact that they're back in is reassuring that they're confident in this.

Rest of the video won't load for me right now, my connection is being hammered.

EDIT: He's basically reading from this article/interview: https://m.windowscentral.com/anthem-bioware-past-present-and-future-interview? be he does go on to talk about endgame content, variety, replayability, etc.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is all these people who say they are interested in the game but are going to give it some time before jumping in. I can understand their reservations, we all have to make this decision ourselves. But damn... what about FOMO? I mean, the cataclysm is going to come and it is going to go, and it might leave a scar on the world. But when it's gone, of course they can bring it back, or some of it or whatever, but not being there at the time... I wouldn't wanna risk that personally.

Last edited:

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
There's some new stuff right at the start that touches on reacting to how people are playing the game - they mention exploits, so if people are heavily farming activities and breaking the game in some way they can seemingly do stuff pretty rapidly to counter it. Probably more confident in this than they were when they mentioned GM2 & GM3 being locked out, fearing what harm that might do to player retention if they got trivialised... the fact that they're back in is reassuring that they're confident in this.

Rest of the video won't load for me right now, my connection is being hammered.

EDIT: He's basically reading from this article/interview: https://m.windowscentral.com/anthem-bioware-past-present-and-future-interview? be he does go on to talk about endgame content, variety, replayability, etc.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is all these people who say they are interested in the game but are going to give it some time before jumping in. I can understand their reservations, we all have to make this decision ourselves. But damn... what about FOMO? I mean, the cataclysm is going to come and it is going to go, and it might leave a scar on the world. But when it's gone, of course they can bring it back, or some of it or whatever, but not being there at the time... I wouldn't wanna risk that personally.
Thanks a lot mate I enjoyed the read. Personally I bought the LoD editions and got it preloaded already. Jumping in the same demo twice to play the same content yet I wasn't even bored was the verdict for me really. Played the VIP demo then the Open demo and I was enjoying both a lot. This game is spot on for me. My cup of tea! The looter shooter that always wanted. PvE no PvP and needs lots of team work.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo weekends and am interested in the game, but I think what will determine when I buy it is how things look at launch and when various fixes get implemented. (I say this knowing that the second weekend was more stable and featured a number of fixes, which I see as promising.) I know BioWare has repeatedly said that the full game features thousands of fixes that weren't in the demo, which is great, and I've seen them put out summaries of the major things that were fixed. However, I do still have three related questions that I'm hoping someone in this thread might know:

1. Is there is a detailed list of what has been fixed between the demo and the main game besides the high-level, biggest points BioWare published? (I'm guessing not.)
2. Will there be a Day 1 patch, and if so, do we know what's in it?
3. Do we know what the QOL updates will be for Act I of the post-launch updates?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
1. Is there is a detailed list of what has been fixed between the demo and the main game besides the high-level, biggest points BioWare published? (I'm guessing not.)
2. Will there be a Day 1 patch, and if so, do we know what's in it?
3. Do we know what the QOL updates will be for Act I of the post-launch updates?
2 has been answered. There's a patch for early access launch and another on full launch day. 1 is just whatever they've addressed specifically. Maybe they'll do a huge patch notes release like DICE did. 3 hasn't really been detailed at all I don't think.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I think they said they weren't going to do release notes for the day 1 patches on the grounds that patches that come out at the same time as the game don't really count because the bug fix list will be meaningless to people who haven't played the game. With the early access meaning loads of people will have been playing for a week I don't know if this reasoning exactly holds up, but it's probably that and a combination of not wanting to have a mammoth list of fixes being the first thing that people see on release.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking over those Abilities for the different Javelins, and It doesnt look like any of them have a healing ability. Is that right? You would think that there would be a healer class of some sort.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I was looking over those Abilities for the different Javelins, and It doesnt look like any of them have a healing ability. Is that right? You would think that there would be a healer class of some sort.
Personally, I want a Medic style Javelin. I always play a Support role in many of the games I like but I don't think that is a full option here in Anthem. I remember seeing some bits and bobs that talked about Helling the team with shields and you also have the defensive bubbles and walls but nothing Medic style so far.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Are there any interviews or anything that explains why Bioware chose to call the player characters "freelancers" when so far all the in game cut scenes and marketing material describes them as pretty much the polar opposite of what that word suggests.
This has probably been covered but...

Lancers is the name of the people who choose to hop into the Javelins to protect Fort Tarsis. We're called Freelancers because we take contracts from agents around Fort Tarsis and do them. We don't work for anyone (not even Fort Tarsis, they have the Sentinels for that) but we are willing to protect if need be.

So most of the time Freelancers will just do contracts for nearly anyone willing to pay and you will see thing throughout the game (such as Legendary Contracts, a core end-game activity; or even the Stronghold from the demo which was a contract) but when a bigger threat arises and threatens Fort Tarsis you can bet the Freelancers will be there to face it (much like what you see in most of the trailers and whatnot).

Hope this answered your question.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any interviews or anything that explains why Bioware chose to call the player characters "freelancers" when so far all the in game cut scenes and marketing material describes them as pretty much the polar opposite of what that word suggests.

Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.

On a more serious note, Freelancers are one of the 3 factions that split from the Legion of Dawn, the other 2 being the Sentinels and the other the Dominion. They are really not mercenaries, but more a "STALKER" vibe of the only people who go out of the walls. They are really something like Knights. I guess Bioware wanted the cool aesthetic of "Free willed mercenary" we see a lot on sci-fi stories, but without any moral subtleties of being an actual mercenary.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.

On a more serious note, Freelancers are one of the 3 factions that split from the Legion of Dawn, the other 2 being the Sentinels and the other the Dominion. They are really not mercenaries, but more a "STALKER" vibe of the only people who go out of the walls. They are really something like Knights. I guess Bioware wanted the cool aesthetic of "Free willed mercenary" we see a lot on sci-fi stories, but without any moral subtleties of being an actual mercenary.

4 right?

Freelancers
CIA kind of people
Sentinels
Dominion

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, the soundtrack is going to be epic:

I'm still not sure if I'll buy this on launch, but after the disastrous demo, I'm liking what I'm reading and seeing from media.
I need to buy a new Xbox though, my OG one has random controller disconnects :/

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, you are right, there are the Corvus guys, but they seem to be something that came up after. I was talking about the factions that were created after the Legion dissolved.

I hope there is a really good lore involving the Arcanists, Ciphers and stuff, that is the only thing that is truly great from what I know of the Lore so far.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, you are right, there are the Corvus guys, but they seem to be something that came up after. I was talking about the factions that were created after the Legion dissolved.

I hope there is a really good lore involving the Arcanists, Ciphers and stuff, that is the only thing that is truly great from what I know of the Lore so far.
You right.
Also intresting thing.

Once upon a time, humanity was under the thumb of this very powerful group. And this woman, Helena Tarsis, was able to gather everyone together under her banner and overthrow them," says Jay Watamaniuk, one of the lead writers on Anthem. He's careful not to reveal the name of the enemy faction,

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You right.
Also intresting thing.

From what I read online so far, the main baddie will be a "Director" or something of the Dominion, but not the whole Dominion. It will be something like we are facing Vader on the main campaign, while the Emperor will keep pulling the strings.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From what I read online so far, the main baddie will be a "Director" or something of the Dominion, but not the whole Dominion. It will be something like we are facing Vader on the main campaign, while the Emperor will keep pulling the strings.

If he's successful, Watamaniuk says, the Dominion's "expansionist empire will become unstoppable. And so they're willing to do whatever to try and get even the slightest control of that particular force." Technically, the antagonist is but one of any number of "monitors" who have developed some measure of affinity for the Anthem, but the capital-m Monitor of the game's critical-path story is a fearsome, one-of-a-kind individual.

"The Monitor is comparable to a general or field marshal," Watamaniuk explains. "He has troops under his command, he has resources, and what he does is sort of up to him." The average citizen of the Dominion, in other words, is not in a position to tell the Monitor no. "He's probably given a task of some sort, like a military objective. And those troops come in a variety of forms. They've got your typical folks running around with guns; he's got special troops under his command. He has all these resources, he has a task, and so he sets out to accomplish it in any way he can."

However, the Monitor's not in charge of the Dominion – hinting that there may be another, potentially larger threat holding his leash. (Anthem is, after all, a game meant to tell a story over a span of years. The base campaign's only the beginning.)

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Jumping in the same demo twice to play the same content yet I wasn't even bored was the verdict for me really. Played the VIP demo then the Open demo and I was enjoying both a lot. This game is spot on for me. My cup of tea! The looter shooter that always wanted. PvE no PvP and needs lots of team work.

You know this! Being bored never came into it, it was the exact opposite. And that was with just a fraction of the game. Like Ryan said in that video, it didn't get stale when you could try each time with different javelins, gear combinations and tactics. I suppose that won't last forever, but I feel there's plenty there for launch if the game ticks the right boxes for you. Just playing the one stronghold I got a real variety of play between friends, randos and weirdly especially jumping in quickplay not knowing what to expect and coming across situations like three rangers that went down super quick from the turrets and snipers early on, picked them all up and dragged them all through to the end with my floaty girl, or appearing outside the door at the boss and waiting until the 2 inside finished their game, lol.

Story looks solid from the 6 GhostRobo videos I've watched. Get through that and reach 30 and go hunting for masterworks and legendaries. Play with the difficulty settings to maximise that when ready. 3 strongholds and 1 more to come soon, contracts and legendary contracts and then free play with world events, unlocking map areas, discovering the hidden locations, all the little lore things to collect - that's plenty to go at. Then we see what the cataclysm brings.

This is worth a watch, it's about 15 minutes of the Destiny Community Podcast the clip in Ryan's video is taken from, interesting to see what people think of the game and where it might go from the perspective of being big Destiny fans.

Ben just retweeted a tweet which included my damage chart :D Nice to see it still shared around.

hah, good one, you're even more famous now. Black bg is better. BTW, what platform are you on for this game? Any plans to do something in the OT for those of us who want to expand our friends lists to boost that Alliance Rep XP? Some sort of list for each platform we can add our names to and add each other.

Their choice. I'd like to be on the train at the start.
All aboard!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Anthem |OT| Take off that suit of armor, and what are you?

bk4sqlR.jpg
FrYTNoD.jpg

WHO4Soh.jpg
f4dCKFm.jpg
I really like this Lump - here's my quick rendition of it :D Fun to play around with this... I also am a big time Iron Man fan, picked up 3 comics when I was 9; Iron Man, Doctor Strange and issue 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man. So seeing those characters come to life in movies, especially how RDJ plays Tony Stark has been a dream for me over my life - I adore the whole "Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist" thing.

gRYddpJ.png

9IbdW70.png

0mcqTTO.png

7JTaYHr.png

hah, good one, you're even more famous now. Black bg is better. BTW, what platform are you on for this game? Any plans to do something in the OT for those of us who want to expand our friends lists to boost that Alliance Rep XP? Some sort of list for each platform we can add our names to and add each other.
I'm not a dark mode fan but was asked to do a dark mode version of the chart so I did, I tried to focus on the actual colour scheme of anthem white/orange/red so never imagined that the white background would be bad/annoying to some. But made the dark mode version quickly and people seemed to like it:

In terms of a list for the OT, the gamertags channel on discord is kind of that already people list their platform and username on said platform. I'd happily put a list together or help someone put one together if they want to use the information from the thread + discord to make a usernamer/platform sheet of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.