• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, thats the article I read. Thats pretty cool, actually, and hopefully Bioware still has the chops to make them actual cool villains and not "Lol lets fuck the world because why not." They are humans after all, there should be some kind of weight of you fighting humans when the planet is so fucked up.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, thats the article I read. Thats pretty cool, actually, and hopefully Bioware still has the chops to make them actual cool villains and not "Lol lets fuck the world because why not." They are humans after all, there should be some kind of weight of you fighting humans when the planet is so fucked up.

I think the Game Awards trailer did a pretty good job at that. I was quite baffled at the end when i found out that whole trailer was narrated by the Monitor.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's all sounding good. Shame I am away over the 15th but a 10 hour trial is no good for me. Will be back on the 19th, so only a few days till full launch, so I will wait it out and jump in with everyone.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
On a more serious note, Freelancers are one of the 3 factions that split from the Legion of Dawn, the other 2 being the Sentinels and the other the Dominion. They are really not mercenaries, but more a "STALKER" vibe of the only people who go out of the walls. They are really something like Knights. I guess Bioware wanted the cool aesthetic of "Free willed mercenary" we see a lot on sci-fi stories, but without any moral subtleties of being an actual mercenary.
Right, which is the problem since a member of an order of knights is the polar opposite of a freelancer.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of "freelancers" in this universe - we're one of the few groups who actively goes outside the wall and gets our hands dirty, to make sure everyone else is safe. We handle menial jobs like "hey some scorpions are building nests too close to the fort" and bigger tasks like "go collect this ancient artifact"

We take any job that needs doing because we are the only ones who can do it, and we don't have loyalty to any specific faction, because we are united under a common idea: the preservation and success of humanity.

Almost getting a grey warden vibe from the freelancers, which is really cool.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am really curious also about the Cyphers.

• There is a folk tale of the first cypher. It was a daughter of an Engineer, who "developed strange new abilities" not long after the Cataclysm. She could "see faraway things" or "talk directly into another's mind". Soon, Arcanists arrived and presented her with an experiment to help them test device that would amplify her gift. However, girl's mind "ventured too far from her body and became lost to the music of the Anthem of Creation". It is believed that "cyphers glimpse the engineer's daughter while in their amplifier".

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
No real reason for healers with how much healing stuff drops. Maybe some buffing abilities or something could be cool. Anything like the Virtuoso from DA:I would be sick.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sometimes names stick around long after a group has evolved to serve a new purpose.
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the affixes on loot, weapons in particular, aren't as random as we've seen so far. Its gonna be frustrating as fuck getting a legendary LMG and having shit like bonus shotgun ammo or increased sniper damage on it. Diablo 3 did that initially and people hated it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dunno, usually you see 1 class with some sort of healing ability. I would have expected Storm to have some sort of aoe healing ability or something like that for survivability.
The ranger has Support slots, so I would like to see more than the damage reduction or the projectile negate bubble. Maybe having some items you can plant to regen shield of hp would be nice.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I'd expect to see some "Whenever you _____ you heal for _____" type items eventually.

I really hope the affixes on loot, weapons in particular, aren't as random as we've seen so far. Its gonna be frustrating as fuck getting a legendary LMG and having shit like bonus shotgun ammo or increased sniper damage on it. Diablo 3 did that initially and people hated it.

That's supposed to be fixed iirc. So that items won't roll with inscriptions that apply to a different type.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this Lump - here's my quick rendition of it :D Fun to play around with this... I also am a big time Iron Man fan, picked up 3 comics when I was 9; Iron Man, Doctor Strange and issue 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man. So seeing those characters come to life in movies, especially how RDJ plays Tony Stark has been a dream for me over my life - I adore the whole "Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist" thing.

gRYddpJ.png

9IbdW70.png

0mcqTTO.png

7JTaYHr.png

I'm not a dark mode fan but was asked to do a dark mode version of the chart so I did, I tried to focus on the actual colour scheme of anthem white/orange/red so never imagined that the white background would be bad/annoying to some. But made the dark mode version quickly and people seemed to like it:

In terms of a list for the OT, the gamertags channel on discord is kind of that already people list their platform and username on said platform. I'd happily put a list together or help someone put one together if they want to use the information from the thread + discord to make a usernamer/platform sheet of some kind.

That's real good

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, usually you see 1 class with some sort of healing ability. I would have expected Storm to have some sort of aoe healing ability or something like that for survivability.

As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny, for example. The thing about Anthem though is that health packs are very common drops and your shield automatically regenerates not to mention your shields and health fully replenish upon Ultimate usage meaning that those combined with the movement options in the game are already plenty healing.

Now add the piece of loot that gives Colossus 33% Health back when using their launcher ability, Lifesteal builds for Storm and Interceptor along with various defensive support abilities in the game and you've got a lot of survivability for every class.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny
Yes there are. The Warlock has entire builds centered around healing (Healing Rift along with the Devour ability). Which is why I thought the Stormcaller class would have some sort of healing or faster shield recharge ability.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and risk that a ton of the original concept of Anthem was axed. The Sentinels, Arcanists and Freelancers are something like a direct comparison to the Destiny guardians, but they retrofitted them all in an umbrella of the Freelancers. I think the nice "Rivalry/Camaraderie" that exists between the factions fo Destiny is not really possible in Anthem, since you are not a Storm, Ranger or Colossus, you are a pilot who has all of the Javelins.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
As its direct competitor, there are no healing abilities in Destiny, for example. The thing about Anthem though is that health packs are very common drops and your shield automatically regenerates not to mention your shields and health fully replenish upon Ultimate usage meaning that those combined with the movement options in the game are already plenty healing.

Now add the piece of loot that gives Colossus 33% Health back when using their launcher ability, Lifesteal builds for Storm and Interceptor along with various defensive support abilities in the game and you've got a lot of survivability for every class.

Damn, I didn't realise that the interceptor had health steal, I knew about stats that give 2% health on every pickup but that's about it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am not sure if I want items to drop that passively support, abilities that we can mod to support or some weapon similar to Overwatch Mercy that heals.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im gonna go out on a limb here and risk that a ton of the original concept of Anthem was axed. The Sentinels, Arcanists and Freelancers are something like a direct comparison to the Destiny guardians, but they retrofitted them all in an umbrella of the Freelancers. I think the nice "Rivalry/Camaraderie" that exists between the factions fo Destiny is not really possible in Anthem, since you are not a Storm, Ranger or Colossus, you are a pilot who has all of the Javelins.
that's one of the things that kill the mystique of the game for me, I know being just a pilot that switches between suits is fun for some, but for me, having a faction of Colossi, Storm, Interceptors and Rangers would have been cooler.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
This is worth a watch, it's about 15 minutes of the Destiny Community Podcast the clip in Ryan's video is taken from, interesting to see what people think of the game and where it might go from the perspective of being big Destiny fans.
I'd like to hear reasonable Destiny fans talking about Anthem. I'll definitely hear their opinions because I already got fed up from the ones shitting on the game for nothing

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
These games tend to avoid the active healing role because most players want to focus on damage rather than healing. Which, when the trinity is used in a traditional way, leads to imbalance across the classes and negatively effects Endgame PvE. It would require queue systems that filled in the roles specifically, which leads to longer queue times since there are less people playing healing/tanking roles. Giving everyone self survival alleviates those issues.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
that's one of the things that kill the mystique of the game for me, I know being just a pilot that switches between suits is fun for some, but for me, having a faction of Colossi, Storm, Interceptors and Rangers would have been cooler.

This is actually a good thing for me. I certainly dont want to tied down to a class as i progress in the game. Having the ability to switch is really important even though i will probably end up with a main Javelin. You dont need factions to have a interesting narrative , I mean Destiny story is pretty meh ..

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yes there are, the Warlock is the Healing Class - there is the passive healing rift that creates a pool of light that heals you allies when they step in it

and Forsaken introduced the Super: Well of Radiance which created a massive rift that buffs, heals, and grant overshield for all who step inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody talks about it, but I love that the Scars are hives of insects mimicing higher lifeforms. It reminds me of The Sandkings. Maybe there will be a javelin that makes use of organic tech taken from Scars

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is actually a good thing for me. I certainly dont want to tied down to a class as i progress in the game. Having the ability to switch is really important even though i will probably end up with a main Javelin. You dont need factions to have a interesting narrative , I mean Destiny story is pretty meh ..
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Bioware just cannot make any character anymore that isn't a member of "Special Group". Your character will probably go from "Rookie Freelancer" to "The best Freelancer Who Has Ever Lived" in about two missions. Probably after his/her mentor dies in an overdramatic cutscene 15 minutes after he's introduced.

FWIW unless things have changed in the last few months I'm pretty sure the game starts with you getting your ass kicked along with more experienced Lancers, and Freelancers are on everyone's shitlist for the failure you're a part of at the beginning. How the characterization of Freelancers evolves from there remains to be seen.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW unless things have changed in the last few months I'm pretty sure the game starts with you getting your ass kicked along with more experienced Lancers, and Freelancers are on everyone's shitlist for the failure you're a part of at the beginning. How the characterization of Freelancers evolves from there remains to be seen.

That is still how almost every single game from Bioware from the last 8 years starts. You are a beginner on the "Special Group", something goes horribly wrong, your mentor dies or is disabled, you fill his shoes and go on to become the "best X the world has ever seen". I have hope, but I don't actually believe Bioware is going to make your character a competent but skilled Freelancer, instead of "The Hero We Need and The Only One Who Can Stop The Heart of Rage."

Something that I think would be really cool would be a "Mercenary Clan" that your character starts on his or her own after that disaster, and you would slowly build up with gear, engineers, etc, that would unlock new parts and stuff. I'm not really a fan of the "Hero" aspect Bioware is going for. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but they did that so many times before.

Course, everything can change on launch, let's see.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
That is still how almost every single game from Bioware from the last 8 years starts. You are a beginner on the "Special Group", something goes horribly wrong, your mentor dies or is disabled, you fill his shoes and go on to become the "best X the world has ever seen". I have hope, but I don't actually believe Bioware is going to make your character a competent but skilled Freelancer, instead of "The Hero We Need and The Only One Who Can Stop The Heart of Rage."

Last 8 years? Try last 18 lol. Even NWN OC follows the tried and true BioWare template.

It's annoying and cloying how BioWare leans into the player power fantasy bullshit but it is what it is.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes there are, the Warlock is the Healing Class - there is the passive healing rift that creates a pool of light that heals you allies when they step in it

and Forsaken introduced the Super: Well of Radiance which created a massive rift that buffs, heals, and grant overshield for all who step inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

Okay yeah I forgot about that ability. Aside from that though, there's nothing that makes any class a healer, but yeah since they've got support abilities in Anthem that buff teammates who stand in the field then I could see a Well of Radiance clone being added.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.

True but this is Bioware we are talking about and the do lore really well too.We have got just a glimpse of what the lore in Anthem is. I cant wait to see whats instore for us lore wise as Anthem matures.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I didn't realise that the interceptor had health steal, I knew about stats that give 2% health on every pickup but that's about it.

Yeah there's an upgrade that grants 20% or so shields back whenever you use one of the close range abilities, (the kick?) I forget which exactly. Same goes for Storm too.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

Something that I think would be really cool would be a "Mercenary Clan" that your character starts on his or her own after that disaster, and you would slowly build up with gear, engineers, etc, that would unlock new parts and stuff. I'm not really a fan of the "Hero" aspect Bioware is going for. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but they did that so many times before.

Course, everything can change on launch, let's see.
Pretty sure one of their intro to Anthem videos straight out says that you become the pivotal savior figure by the end of the story.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure one of their intro to Anthem videos straight out says that you become the pivotal savior figure by the end of the story.

Which one? If true, that fucking sucks. Even on Destiny, your character becomes "Legend", but he or she is now a part of the famous guys, not the savior of all humankind.

Fuck me. I guess its my fault for expecting something good from BW.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah I forgot about that ability. Aside from that though, there's nothing that makes any class a healer, but yeah since they've got support abilities in Anthem that buff teammates who stand in the field then I could see a Well of Radiance clone being added.

That's wrong too, I can think of at least one Titan skill tree where melee damage heals/gives overshields to surrounding teammates in a certain range. I also have the Crest of Alpha Lupi equipped, which heals teammates next to my Titan shield.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That's wrong too, I can think of at least one Titan skill tree where melee damage heals/gives overshields to surrounding teammates in a certain range. I also have the Crest of Alpha Lupi equipped, which heals teammates next to my Titan shield.

I don't remember Alpha Lupi doing that. Forsaken? I haven't played it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You get a 10 hour trial starting same time as premiere full game so I would have thought you'll be able to pre-load the same. If you add Anthem to your game library in Origin, it should say the pre-load date and time on the icon.
I just checked, and if there's going to be a preload for basic subs, I won't be able to add it to my library until EA updates the play first section.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Which one? If true, that fucking sucks. Even on Destiny, your character becomes "Legend", but he or she is now a part of the famous guys, not the savior of all humankind.

Fuck me. I guess its my fault for expecting something good from BW.
Okay, I found it. The way she says it, it could be 'you' the PC or simply the freelancers faction.

As a freelancer you are the bridge between the heroic adventures discovered in our world and the personal journey that unravels in my story.
And ultimately... the key to the fate of everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.