• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So do we think servers will be up for all platforms on the 15th and people with an early copy could play?

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the freeplay works, can I do what I do in Destiny 2 and go to an area freely and there will mobs I can kill or just jump into random events and shit

Bluprintz

Oct 29, 2017
i know they can't control a lot about the release strategy, but how silly is it to ask us not to spoil ourselves on streams when the game is literally being released days earlier for preorders than for the gen public what do they expect to happen?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
"This wasn't just four or five insects! This was thousands! An entire colony working together to make arms and legs... to make heads and... eyes. They became people!" – Eyewitness account, Arcanist records

https://anthem.fandom.com/wiki/Scars

Okay, wow that's really cool and all this time I thought Scars are typical generic scavenger/outcast faction using makeshift equipment and Javelin (I thought the big shield dude is basically makeshift Colossus lmao)

Now I kinda wish they give enemies some kind of combat chatter.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
i know they can't control a lot about the release strategy, but how silly is it to ask us not to spoil ourselves on streams when the game is literally being released days earlier for preorders than for the gen public what do they expect to happen?
Agreed. We've talked about it and I'm in the camp who would gladly do whatever to play "early" on my platform of choice. Kinda fuckt that PC folk who may not even be outright buying the game get such a huge head start and those of us who can't use that platform have no option but to play spoiler dodger.

With that said, I will be keeping the general discussion channel in the ERA Discord as spoiler free as possible but will not be able to watch the channel all the time. Hopefully our PC brethren are mindful of that and keep discussion to the spoiler channel.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How can you not use the alliance system?

I am assuming he's not just talking about the default system that's in place that works automatically, but rather telling you to build up some randomly huge contacts list, and not to rely on just the list of the more recent people you've played with that is tracked by the game.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
This is a videogame though, not the real world. Bioware really could have come up with something less ridiculous. It makes it seem like late in development some panicked marketing guy convinced everyone that they absolutely HAD to have an answer to Destiny's Guardians or at least some equivalent to whatever Special Order the player character belongs to in most bioware games so they shoehorned some extra lore into their sci-fi mercenary game.

People always blame marketing lol. It was a dev team idea and decision.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game is not being released days earlier for pre-orders. Pre-orders still launch on the 22nd too.

The only possible way to play in 15th Feb early access is by subbing to Origin Premier on PC (and 10 hours trial on XBox/PC).

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, its important to note: You can get the 10 hour trial with a basic Origin Access on the 15th. That also gives you a 10% discount to buy Anthem.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
So the alliance thing....if I understand right its not so much rewarding if you have a lot of friends who play casually, but rather than you have a few friends that play a lot regularly? Quality over quantity? Isn't it a safe bet that most of Era is probably gonna fall into the latter?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
So the alliance thing....if I understand right its not so much rewarding if you have a lot of friends who play casually, but rather than you have a few friends that play a lot regularly? Quality over quantity? Isn't it a safe bet that most of Era is probably gonna fall into the latter?
Basically. Top 5 contributors determine the reward you get. More people gives you a larger safety net

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Then maybe dont release the game for a select few ten days before a general release.

It's the same streamers first attitude a lot of devs and pubs are latching on to now that caused the infamous mtx screenshot to leak.

Within 10 hours of release spoiler thumbnails will be all over youtube, count on that.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Ok I've totally come around and have warmed up to this game. Didn't play the demo or anything but I've watched a lot of vids about it. I'm gonna wait a week and see the reviews and what people are saying, see how the servers hold up and so on, but barring some catastrophe I'm all in on this baby!

Looks like I'll be choosing the Ranger or Interceptor.

Jan 10, 2018
Its got nothing to do with Story, but the world-building and structure of the dynamics of the people, factions, tribes inside it.
As cool as it is to shit on Destiny's story, very few games do world-building and lore better, there is a reason it has massive amounts of engagement in its lore.

What? That's usually one of the main criticisms of Destiny. The lore is very vague and left out of the actual game. I for one hate how they handle lore and exposition in that game. There's not even any codex texts to unlock while you explore.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What? That's usually one of the main criticisms of Destiny. The lore is very vague and left out of the actual game. I for one hate how they handle lore and exposition in that game. There's not even any codex texts to unlock while you explore.
In-game storytelling is one of the main criticisms of Destiny, that changed with Forsaken, but the lore has always deep an amazing, it was in Grimoire cards you couldn't access in-game but its in-game now too. There are triumphs, lore collections etc

Destiny-2-Forsaken-Chronicler-Title.jpg.optimal.jpg

Jan 10, 2018
In-game storytelling is one of the main criticisms of Destiny, that changed with Forsaken, but the lore has always deep an amazing, it was in Grimoire cards you couldn't access in-game but its in-game now too. There are triumphs, lore collections etc

Destiny-2-Forsaken-Chronicler-Title.jpg.optimal.jpg

Haven't played Forsaken yet so I can't comment on how the lore is handled in that expansion. But up until that point I still don't have a clue about some of the things in the world. I don't know anything about the City for instance. When was it built? Where is it placed? How is life there? Why is the Tower placed on the walls and not the middle? Religion? Society issues? Commerse? Infrastructure? If it was a Bioware game those things would've been explained in great detail with simple codex texts as soon as you interacted with something.

I remember starting Destiny when it was released and I was so curious about everything in its beautiful world, but the game didn't even explain basic things such as the amnesia of your Guardian and much less about the world as you were exploring. It was the number one thing I was disappointed about because it could've made the world feel less hollow and much more interesting to explore. Imagine going to that russian location and listening to tapes and reading about the people that worked there and endured the conflict. So much potential!

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me the alliance system a bit more? The way I understand it is you activate alliance system rewards by playing with those on your friends list? Is this your psn/xbox live/origin friends list or is it the "favourite player" option in game that determines who is part of the alliance?

Somebody mentioned that top 5 contributors determines reward for everyone, do you get this reward if one person from the contributors is on your friends list or do you have to have everyone from the top 5 in your list? How often are the alliance rewards distributed? Do you need to have simply played with some of the people in that time period to be eligible for reward?

I'm just really confused about how it works!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played Forsaken yet so I can't comment on how the lore is handled in that expansion. But up until that point I still don't have a clue about some of the things in the world. I don't know anything about the City for instance. When was it built? Where is it placed? How is life there? Why is the Tower placed on the walls and not the middle? Religion? Society issues? Commerse? Infrastructure? If it was a Bioware game those things would've been explained in great detail with simple codex texts as soon as you interacted with something.

I remember starting Destiny when it was released and I was so curious about everything in its beautiful world, but the game didn't even explain basic things such as the amnesia of your Guardian and much less about the world as you were exploring. It was the number one thing I was disappointed about because it could've made the world feel less hollow and much more interesting to explore. Imagine going to that russian location and listening to tapes and reading about the people that worked there and endured the conflict. So much potential!
A lot of that does get answers in game and in lore, Guardians amnesia is tackled in Warmind and so is the question of the creation of the exos. The events of Forsaken completely shakes up the universe and splinters the vanguard.

The Destiny 2 zavala trailer actually gives a small intro into the creation of the city.

This is an Anthem thread so lore wise I hope there is more happening than dudes on mechs.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So it's like factions in Destiny 2? (Dead Orbit, FWC, and New Monarchy)
Seems that way. Do will do missions for them which increases your rank and, if high enough, you get to do the Legendary Contracts for high-end loot. I get the feeling they may also go the WoW route, where you get cosmetic and no cosmetic items as rewards for each faction.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Can someone explain to me the alliance system a bit more? The way I understand it is you activate alliance system rewards by playing with those on your friends list? Is this your psn/xbox live/origin friends list or is it the "favourite player" option in game that determines who is part of the alliance?

Somebody mentioned that top 5 contributors determines reward for everyone, do you get this reward if one person from the contributors is on your friends list or do you have to have everyone from the top 5 in your list? How often are the alliance rewards distributed? Do you need to have simply played with some of the people in that time period to be eligible for reward?

I'm just really confused about how it works!
So it's like factions in Destiny 2? (Dead Orbit, FWC, and New Monarchy)

Dev post about Alliances: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...ce_system_and_guilds/?st=JRMNTBAX&sh=72bfc1e6

Still pretty vague and line between them and Guilds is blurry, but at least some idea about how they are supposed to work.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Dev post about Alliances: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...ce_system_and_guilds/?st=JRMNTBAX&sh=72bfc1e6

Still pretty vague and line between them and Guilds is blurry, but at least some idea about how they are supposed to work.
Sounds like Alliances and guilds are what Free companies and linkshells are in Final Fantasy XIV.

Alliances/Free companies are more formal and organized, while guilds/linkshells are smaller community groups for socializing and chatting.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I agree, seems like Alliances are the Free Companies of FFXIV.

Oh, FFXIV, how do I miss you. Hopefully Anthem fills the void.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One day I hope they have a public space that can support loads of players, just so we can see everyone's crazy Javelins.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
One day I hope they have a public space that can support loads of players, just so we can see everyone's crazy Javelins.
I think the current 16-players social hub is good enough for a start. Though I agree that the more the merrier, 64 should be sufficient.

They might expand the number later at some point later. For reference, PSO2 social hub can accommodate up to 150 players.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just need this game....its done something to me. I'm completely hooked. Don't even want to play anything else.

Really hope the servers are good on Friday and most of the issues (like infinite loading, weird mission glitches etc) are ironed out so I can enjoy my 10 hours. By Sunday I'll be desperate for the 22nd to roll around so I can play again.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I just need this game....its done something to me. I'm completely hooked. Don't even want to play anything else.

Really hope the servers are good on Friday and most of the issues (like infinite loading, weird mission glitches etc) are ironed out so I can enjoy my 10 hours. By Sunday I'll be desperate for the 22nd to roll around so I can play again.
If you're only going to have the 10 hours, might want to be prepared to wait a couple days into the early access before playing so they iron out whatever launch issues there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.