• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem |OT| Suit's You!

webANXFastShowSuitsYou.jpg

This isn't going to make any sense if you're not from the UK and on the older side.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Time to open the flood gates. The flood gates have been closed once again.

Well.... this will please some people and annoy others. Making an OT in a vacuum has its positives and negatives, one of those negatives is choosing a title because so many people have different opinions about what the OT Title should be, it's also (more often than not) the first thing a member or lurker on Era will read before entering the thread. I've been vocally 'against' a particular title for a while but I am also aware that this title is the clear frontrunner in terms of popularity in this thread. I've also been told that as I'm the one posting the OT, it's my choice and I should go with what I want. However, I really love collaboration and even more so, choice. Choice is such an important thing so with that said.. I present to you the Poll to End all Polls:
OT TITLE POLL NOW CLOSED
nyHV7fU.jpg

OT WILL GO LIVE AT 10:30pm UTC TODAY (13th)

I picked some of my favourties, some of the communities favourites and then added the 'one' in question back in... I'm already expecting it to be the frontrunner for this poll by a huge landslide... so why I am doing a poll? Choice. To let you all have your voices heard and involved in creating the OT in someway. My personal favourites are "Javelin a good time" and "Time to Grabbit and Fly" but you pick your favourite and which ever one has the highest votes by Wednesday (13th) will be the OT title when it's posted later that day. (Yes the OT is being posted at 10:30pm UTC on 13th because that's actually 24hrs before the Early Access opens on the 14th... weird that it's not the 15th, I know, but 10:30pm UTC on the 14th is the official unlock time on Origin).

I hope this is okay and a fair way for the Anthem community here to pick this as transparently as possible. Whatever happens I am excited to post the OT on Wednesday night, 24 hours ahead of the Early Access opening on Thursday night.

Last edited:

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I appreciate the nomination iFirez

Kinda of a tongue in cheek reference but I thought it was all in good fun.

I came up with Freelancers give it 95%

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I went with "Guns don't kill people, abilities do" because 1) it's clever, 2) it highlights one of the big differences between Anthem and similar games, 3) it's educational for new players.

I think GaaS Effect is also clever and it got a chuckle out of me, but it sounds like a complaint about EA turning the Mass Effect IP into an easy cash cow and I'm not sure if that's the kinda vibe you wanna start off with in an OT about a game that's already gotten plenty of haters.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I appreciate the nomination iFirez

Kinda of a tongue in cheek reference but I thought it was all in good fun.

I came up with Freelancers give it 95%
I added the two 95% related ones because it became a lil' bit of a meme during the demo play sessions, especially VIP. While I'm already aware which one will win I liked the option of having a variety of funny, serious and meme focuses titles for people to choose from.

I'd say...
200.gif

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I feel a bit stupid but I don't even get the "GaaS Effect" one?

I must be missing something obvious.....
GaaS = Games as a service
Effect = Mass Effect (previous Bioware series).
Mash them together, you get GaaS Effect.
I went with "Guns don't kill people, abilities do" because 1) it's clever, 2) it highlights one of the big differences between Anthem and similar games, 3) it's educational for new players.

I think GaaS Effect is also clever and it got a chuckle out of me, but it sounds like a complaint about EA turning the Mass Effect IP into an easy cash cow and I'm not sure if that's the kinda vibe you wanna start off with in an OT about a game that's already gotten plenty of haters.
Welcome to why I didn't want that title, but as I explained in my post, rather than me just picking a different one, I'm letting the community choose. If they really want that one (which I think will win) then it's a decision made by the community at large, rather than just me.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
GaaS = Games as a service
Effect = Mass Effect (previous Bioware series).
Mash them together, you get GaaS Effect.

Welcome to why I didn't want that title, but as I explained in my post, rather than me just picking a different one, I'm letting the community choose. If they really want that one (which I think will win) then it's a decision made by the community at large, rather than just me.

Oh. Thanks.

I won't be voting for that one then!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

And this is why Gaas Effect will win and why OT will contain plenty salt and hate towards the game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Yup

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no point in playing on hard until you hit level 30, you'll replace your gear fast on the way up so an increased drop rate doesn't matter.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So that's the big problem? People talking like "GaaS" is a dirty word. It's just a revenue model that's standard and present throughout the industry. That recent thread proved it's people's ignorance that's the problem, they don't see beyond bind lootbox mtx and evil corporations wanting to bleed their wallets dry.

If people come into the Anthem OT to shitpost, which they will regardless, moderators will channel the anthem of creation and fry their arses like the level 2 skorpion workers they are.

There is no point in playing on hard until you hit level 30, you'll replace your gear fast on the way up so an increased drop rate doesn't matter.
I'd decided that, but the devs seem to think it's worth it to simply add to the challenge given recent tweets. I think if the balance is similar to the demo, normal is going to be too easy for a lot of people. But yeah, I'll only bump it up if anything seems too trivial. or I feel too OP.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GaaS Effect is the best one but I agree it might have too big a negative connotation, I went with Suit's You.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I got Origin Access Premier to give this a shot. Going to play it for that time and then see if I want to keep it up or play The Division 2 instead. Both betas impressed me (though Division was much more stable) from a gamepoint perspective.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So that's the big problem? People talking like "GaaS" is a dirty word. It's just a revenue model that's standard and present throughout the industry. That recent thread proved it's people's ignorance that's the problem, they don't see beyond bind lootbox mtx and evil corporations wanting to bleed their wallets dry.

If people come into the Anthem OT to shitpost, which they will regardless, moderators will channel the anthem of creation and fry their arses like the level 2 skorpion workers they are.
This argument is actually why I included it in the poll. The idea that "trolls will troll regardless of if they're incited to do so more by the title" is pretty much how I feel about it at the moment.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd decided that, but the devs seem to think it's worth it to simply add to the challenge given recent tweets. I think if the balance is similar to the demo, normal is going to be too easy for a lot of people. But yeah, I'll only bump it up if anything seems too trivial. or I feel too OP.
30 is when the game actually starts with looter shooters so it's fine if the road till there is easy.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

I'd rather play on hard for a bit of a challenge, it's not just about the drop rate for me. I think that would apply to quite a few people as well.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
30 is when the game actually starts with looter shooters so it's fine if the road till there is easy.
Yeah, but from their trailers it was saying you're likely already at 30 by the time you're done with the main story, and as you only get one chance to play and enjoy that as a whole and it be fresh the one time so I don't personally want to be breezing through it. Whatever gear or level I have by the time I'm done is less important - we've got years afterwards to concern ourselves with that :)

Levelling in this is totally different to something like vanilla Destiny, where I remember being around 26 attempting VoG at first, and then completing it at level 27 once I got that sweet Vision of Confluence and levelled it up. Then gaining raid gear to max out and, well, have nothing to do with it lol - so the game definitely didn;t begin at this level, for me it ended abruptly. So at least having the whole game as end game for grinding better drops on harder difficulties means we're less likely to have a "so what now?" kind of scenario any time soon, and worrying about that once I've consumed the story works for me.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the demo hard seems like a fun level of challenge, that's why I'm going for it. Might struggle a little early on when you have crappy gear but it should even out at some point.

Plus I'm in no hurry to get to 30.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Gaas Effect is so much better than all the other choices it's a no brainer, and fuck the trolls anyway.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the commercial fairly often on tv. Which is rare for a non mobile game

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Good on you iFirez, I take back everything I said about your *insert most offensive loved one here*!

Haters gonna hate. I love the cheeky nature of the *redacted* title, Mass Effect is probably my favorite series ever and I find nothing malicious about the title.

The only title I'd like better would be
Anthem |OT| *Redacted*
but that is too meta ;)

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
Voted for gaas effect, because it's funny and absolutely nothing will keep the irrational ea/ bioware haters away so why bother trying.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Good on you iFirez, I take back everything I said about your *insert most offensive loved one here*!

Haters gonna hate. I love the cheeky nature of the *redacted* title, Mass Effect is probably my favorite series ever and I find nothing malicious about the title.

The only title I'd like better would be
Anthem |OT| *Redacted*
but that is too meta ;)
SaltyCreepyGodwit-small.gif

iFirez
With you working at it with Datajoy . I'm sure the OT will be beautiful.

If ypu have free time aftewards, want to put together some graphics for the The Division 2 OT? lol
I have no clue if I'd get time for it with Anthem being out - hit me up nearer the time and I'll see how busy I am. The Anthem OT and then the game its self are my main focuses right now.

The one and only Neill Blomkamp is working on something Anthem related:

If people are wondering why I'm so 'jazzed' about this... Neill Blomkamp is the director behind District 9, Elysium, Chappie and one of my all time favourite live action Halo videos ever. He's also behind Oat's Studios who released a bunch of awesome short films like Rakka, Zygote and Firebase: https://www.youtube.com/OatsStudios

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on what platform to go with - was originally hands down X1X but the performance was brutal. Considering PS4 Pro as it performers better and will likely have a larger community, but then the PC version ran best on my rig. Main issue there in my limited experience with looter shooters on PC is that I'm more concerned about cheaters and such due to the open nature of PC.

However if they can pull out a better performance on the X then I'll go for that one.

What platform is everyone else thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.