• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
These tweets are a week old now. I was hoping it would be some thing current.

There's no way anyone can trust EA, I wish MS had bought Bioware instead.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition sold well. Mass Effect 3 sold well. Even Mass Effect Andromeda appears to have sold alright, likely on the back of initial good will towards the ME franchise, which is undoubtedly damaged now.
Andromeda launch was like half ME3 IIRC. And Anthem physical launch is like 10% Andromeda's.

Inquisition is supposedly their best selling game, but that's not necessarily saying EA is satisfied with their sales.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Andromeda launch was like half ME3 IIRC. And Anthem physical launch is like 10% Andromeda's.

Inquisition is supposedly their best selling game, but that's not necessarily saying EA is satisfied with their sales.

Yes, and both Andromeda and Anthem have terminal metacritic scores, which is the type of thing suits look at. Both games had massive production issues, which is why I would think a suit could look at what happened there and say "maybe something not so ambitious would be safer to get these brands back on track."

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for nobody at Bioware is gonna get on Twitter and say "Hey, you know what, things are bad guys!"

If something happens there, Jason will tell us, and then the company will tell their workers. We're not gonna hear shit from them on Twitter.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of blood thirsty ghoul like behavior. So the game didnt live up to your expectations, no need to relish the thought of Bioware getting shut down. It's really weird behavior. Go play something else.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Fact of the matter is, we won't know what's going on behind the scenes until whatever happens actually happens.
Yep, we have no clue how six months from now will look. Right now, the game is salvageable, but how will they go about it.

While I'm enjoying Anthem, it needs a lot of work. They've put out some straight duds here recently and I'm not sure how the higher ups are feeling about it.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anthems physical was 50% of Andromeda's, 10% of Destiny's in the UK.

And that's a bummer if EA wasn't happy with Inquisition sales. As popular as Bioware has been in name, they've never made games that were sales juggernauts, so I don't understand why EA would expect them to suddenly become a company that does that. Sometimes you should just appreciate things for what they are, and Bioware was a perfectly good (great) company making solid games that sold 3-4 mil lifetime. I don't know why those kind of developers can't exist anymore.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Anthems physical was 50% of Andromeda's, 10% of Destiny's in the UK.

And that's a bummer if EA wasn't happy with Inquisition sales. As popular as Bioware has been in name, they've never made games that were sales juggernauts, so I don't understand why EA would expect them to suddenly become a company that does that. Sometimes you should just appreciate things for what they are, and Bioware was a perfectly good (great) company making solid games that sold 3-4 mil lifetime. I don't know why those kind of developers can't exist anymore.
Can't sell virtual football cards with those numbers.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
We'll find out by the end of this month if Papa EA is gonna come out of the closet to end Bioware's existence or not. Until then we can only speculate based on reviews and how sales are looking in certain regions (ie the UK).

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Question: Has EA released any "The game is doing great and we're so excited/humbled by the support" PR yet?

If not.... Eesh.
I mean.. that would be even more tone deaf, wouldn't it? They want to project the idea that they're hard at work, heads down trying to provide the best experience available (which, they probably are). Speculating on the future of their jobs and studio isn't going to help them do that. I don't really think there's much we can infer one way or the either from the existence nor content of the tweets. I hope they get Anthem to a good place, because they built some cool stuff and clearly some people like it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a odd thread title. Especially the "tries" part. He made a statement...how is he trying?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
What else would he say? Bioware could be shut down tomorrow and he'd still make a tweet like that.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
"Don't worry about us"

b4be4e243dbeb0ad84cf13a3a34d87d5.png

I'll worry alright.
On many levels.

The game initially sucks and whatnot, but could you pick the version with the most reviews for a better understanding? This doesn't apply just to Anthem.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a money grubbing suit, I don't think I would close Bioware; there's still value left in the name and the properties.

Dragon Age Inquisition sold well. Mass Effect 3 sold well. Even Mass Effect Andromeda appears to have sold alright, likely on the back of initial good will towards the ME franchise, which is undoubtedly damaged now.

But I think what Bioware needs to do now is something extremely safe. It's probably not what people on here want, but I think it's what a lot of Bioware fans want - something they know, done at good quality. If I were a money grubbing suit, I would just order Bioware to make the best standard RPG Dragon Age 4 they could make, followed up by the best Mass Effect 4 they could make; no open worlds, no reinventing the wheel, just take the standard pillars for each franchise and dump a bunch of money into making them look, sound and play the best they can in the Frostbite engine. Safe in design and really pretty. Go for headlines like "Bioware is stepping into the future by looking to its past" or "Bioware is going back to its roots".

There's no such thing as an easy to make game (especially an RPG), but I feel like Bioware should get a couple workmanlike projects under their belt to save their skin.

Making a safe game does not equate to making a sequel. You never know how it would be received and Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty much ME4 even if it wasn't make by the "main" studio. The Bioware from the past is not the Bioware of today.

What they should do is remake Mass Effect trilogy individually ala Resident Evil 2 Remake while the main studios get their act together.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't believe Anthem alone is enough for EA to shutter Bioware. The name is still too valuable. If Dragon Age 4 is poorly received, though, EA will probably kill Bioware, and I honestly wouldn't be able to blame them.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sales and metacritic trend for the last ten years doesn't look good, Bioware is in need of a good shake-up. No need to close the studio thought... for now.

If Dragon Age 4 is poorly received, though, EA will probably kill Bioware, and I honestly wouldn't be able to blame them.

Indeed. Who need a Bioware that isn't even able to put out good RPGs any longer ?

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Making a safe game does not equate to making a sequel. You never know how it would be received and Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty much ME4 even if it wasn't make by the "main" studio. The Bioware from the past is not the Bioware of today.

What they should do is remake Mass Effect trilogy individually ala Resident Evil 2 Remake while the main studios get their act together.

You can call anything a sequel. When I say 'make a safe game', i mean make a game in the template of the games that sold well.

I wouldn't have cared if a no-name studio made Andromeda and they called it ME4. The name doesn't mean anything to me, nor does who makes it. Andromeda had serious issues. They tried to implement vast planet and galaxy exploration, open world knick-knack collection, and a bunch of other expansive (and expensive) stuff that didn't work out, and they had to strip it all back to ship a working game...which is the mixed bag that we got.

When I say safe, i mean make a game with a known template that works with the engine, I mean make another ME game that has a hub and spoke/hub and dungeon design like ME1,2, and 3. Focus on corridor, setpiece and wide-linear encounter design and lean into the character stories.

"You never know how it would be received." You never know how anything will be received. You never know how a remake would be received. You don't really know how a remaster would be received.

Remaking the trilogy RE2 style, unless done one game at a time, would be prohibitively expensive. I personally think it would be too soon for the market to care enough to make it financially viable.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Casey Hudson only came back less than two years ago. I think they'll have one more shot before EA adds them to the pile.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Depending on how hard Anthem fails I can see them either getting one more game (Dragon Age 4) which will probably not be very good if we're being honest or EA will decide the Bioware brand is no longer valuable in which case they'll probably reassign any teams who are working on something valuable elsewhere, give the rest of the fulltime employees a chance to look at other EA positions, and immediately fire all contractors. Nobody will know this until like the day it happens though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a fun time despite all the strange design decisions that lead to excessive loading and the countless bugs.

The real issue is that the game's issues repel folks who are only kinda into the gameplay, or like it but don't like it enough to deal with the issues. That's going to be a sort of domino effect as people's friends stop playing which might make them want to stop playing.

I want Anthem to succeed and build off its potential, but in the end it's going to be sales and retention that decide that.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no indication they're in trouble.

They've bled considerable talent in the last few years and EA has not been shy about shuttering or dissolving studios that did not meet expectations. It would be silly to assume Anthem (and by extension, Bioware) will get 'great support' if the game shows no positive growth or turnaround. They're not untouchable.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They've bled considerable talent in the last few years and EA has not been shy about shuttering or dissolving studios that did not meet expectations. It would be silly to assume Anthem (and by extension, Bioware) will get 'great support' if the game shows no positive growth or turnaround. They're not untouchable.
And it's even sillier to assume they'll get shutdown for a game that has less than 2 weeks in the market, with no sales numbers whatsoever besides the obvious "physical numbers are lower", and on top of that, a GaaS title with a roadmap and plenty of time ahead to make things right. It wouldn't be the first time in the genre either.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy that they're fine and all and hope the game gets the support it needs.

But can I get my refund? Hello? Is this thing on.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I hope they keep fixing the glaring technical problems. And keep at least a modest flow of content coming. I have a feeling that by the time I reach the level cap, I will feel relatively satisfied with my 60 dollar purchase.