• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I fucking hate that games like these think they can launch like this and all be alright in a few months. Do it like The Division 2.

Also, I think this game is fixable. It's no Andromeda at all. In Andromeda, you'd have to replace the whole story, characters and writing. It's THAT bad. Anthem could just focus way more on gameplay and ignore story completely, which is the best alternative, imo.

Y'all really writing off the game based on 3 whole reviews lmao

You know that this game is playable for a lot of people, right?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I dont disagree. I was discussing this on a chat just yesterday and I think Bungie just shouldnt have made this game at all. They can do so much more. All GaaS games like Destiny, Division and even Ghost Recon just devolve into mindless fighting of waves while waiting for your ghost to do something.

I think it's a problem inherent to the genre. you cant do much with games that require 3-4 people to coperate. it's why Bungie wont allow matchmaking in raids. anytime you add a complex mechanic or complex boss, dumb casuals just wont be able to figure it out, let alone execute it. i have been part of LFG groups that have spent hours on some encounters despite being overleveled. these games are designed for casuals to jump in, kill some things and forget about it.

So i agree that the content is mostly the same, and I think Bioware is wasting their time with this genre, but it doesnt mean the game cant be fun.

Those games have ways to break the monotony by varying certain aspects of the gameplay loop. While Anthem doesn't have that explicitly (no PVP, no PVPVE, no "modes"), I thought that flying and the prime/detonation would have some manner of meaningful effect for Anthem. However, in my experience that's simply not the case. If anything, both of those end up adding to the monotony of the missions and the map because of their inherent limitations and the spamminess of the combat.

It's infuriating seeing the potential here and how many design decisions have completely short circuited it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
That's cool and I'm talking to people who don't have it and are basing the games failure on these reviews.
Who?

Because the discussion in here is based on a multitude of impressions, reviews in progress etc. from a ton of sources. Many of which are in this very thread.

Did you only read the OP or something?

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
Judging by number of ratings on the store page on PSN, Anthem is way more hyped than any other game this year. That you can pre-order right now anyway.

First week sales will be decent at least, after that it's anyone's guess.

Repeating what I wrote on a different topic that pointed out the same, I chalk this up to a general desire of people wanting something Not Destiny™. Similar to how people kept clamoring for the next MMO that was Not WoW™ during the height of WoW's popularity. If it follows the same trend as the Not WoW™ trend, people will jump in early, realize the game is still rough and repeats many of the same issues as the game they've left. After a month or so, they'll either return to the game with which they're more comfortable and have invested more time OR they'll simply walk away and start the whole process again, declaring the next game in the genre as the next "X killer".

Edit: Anthem, meanwhile, will find a niche audience and maybe never really grow from that point. The problem with the analogy, though, is that the Not WoW™ clones generally found life by being able to switch monetization designs from subscription to F2P/subscription hybrids and keep people coming in. That's how BioWare managed to keep TOR afloat all these years. Anthem won't really have that option beyond using deep discount sales of the initial product.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Does anyone else thing they included that tombstone mission on purpose for origin access users ?

It will halt their progression in order for them to est through their 10 hour trial.

This would not surprise me.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am still not sure if the game is bad as some of the early reviews have suggested, this is the core Bioware that made the amazing ME trilogy and I feel the game with the patch will definitely shine!

I want to agree with this post.. but at the same time, it feels like they were making a game they didnt want to, and making it GaaS and they really had no idea what they were going in to.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more like you get to the Edz and u have to do some patrols and a few public events as you walk around. 50 meele kills sound like a lot but unlike destiny the fight are swarmed with bad guys, took me 1 world event to get every meele kill.
Ok that doesn't sound awful but it still shouldn't be in the middle of the campaign. Oh well.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Y'all really writing off the game based on 3 whole reviews lmao

First hand experience playing both Demos and I have every right to write this game off and tell everyone about my experiences so that people will be informed before taking the dive...they need to be aware of what they are getting themselves into. Which is essentially a dumpster fire at this juncture.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
At some point it should be understood how new GaaS releases work. I think BioWare's entry into the revenue model is a good time to come to terms with it. Anthem is starting out on a decent enough footing on day one. There's no doubt it will improve and evolve significantly, like these games all do.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I find it very funny that people still keep saying stuff like 'b-b-but Destiny at launch!', 'it's a GaaS, of course it will get better!'.

Yeah, Destiny was almost 5 years ago, the point of releasing new games is (outside of making money of course) to be better than what's currently available. And yes, Destiny, Warframe, Division had many years to get where they are now but we should make today the baseline and not what we had yesterday. Game devs should learn from mistakes of others, not repeat them with every launch.

Sure, if the developers keep working on games after release then that's cool, but at this point it feels less like publishers are so desperate to make money RIGHT NOW that they do not think about long-term consequences which, hopefully, will bite them in the ass.

'B-b-but this game is fun' - great, I know many games/movies that were entertaining and would still rate them 3/10 because they are shitty in other departments. Let's set the bar a bit higher than that and judge this piece of media for more than just whether the shooting/movement is nice or not.

If you like it then I envy you but, like the other poster said, filling bars to get to a loading screen that once the bar fills will let you fill more bars is not my idea of fun.

And releasing a loot game that does not let you change loot when you want to because they chose to make it with an engine that is incapable of that but they had to use it because of MONEY...jesus fucking christ.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I find it very funny that people still keep saying stuff like 'b-b-but Destiny at launch!', 'it's a GaaS, of course it will get better!'.

Yeah, Destiny was almost 5 years ago, the point of releasing new games is (outside of making money of course) to be better than what's currently available. And yes, Destiny, Warframe, Division had many years to get where they are now but we should make today the baseline and not what we had yesterday. Game devs should learn from mistakes of others, not repeat them with every launch.

Sure, if the developers keep working on games after release then that's cool, but at this point it feels less like publishers are so desperate to make money RIGHT NOW that they do not think about long-term consequences which, hopefully, will bite them in the ass.

'B-b-but this game is fun' - great, I know many games/movies that were entertaining and would still rate them 3/10 because they are shitty in other departments. Let's set the bar a bit higher than that and judge this piece of media for more than just whether the shooting/movement is nice or not.

If you like it then I envy you but, like the other poster said, filling bars to get to a loading screen that once the bar fills will let you fill more bars is not my idea of fun.

I don't get the comparisons to Destiny either because Vanilla Destiny certainly had more content and functionality at launch.

I'm expecting reviewers to know the game isn't supposed to end at the credits and at least engage with the end game content.

What end game content? The third stronghold? Farming chests?

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
At some point it should be understood how new GaaS releases work. I think BioWare's entry into the revenue model is a good time to come to terms with it. Anthem is starting out on a decent enough footing on day one. There's no doubt it will improve and evolve significantly, like these games all do.

If half measures and mediocrity/lack of innovation/creativity is what's in store for the future of the gaming then gaming as we know it is dead...I definetly want no part in it. It's the very essence of the thing that brought me into the fold, if you lose that spark then...what's the bloody point ya know?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decent footing?, damn, I'd hate to see what a shaky footing is in your world.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Perfect. Might as well not even review the game and say "it'll be fixed when the game is irrelevant and has sequels announced".

I like my games to work day one, or else EA can shove it and watch me wait for Black Friday sale with all DLC included for $20.

GaaS does not mean GaabrokenpieceofShit. At some point, maybe they should realize that in no way can AAA studio release AAA game that's broken or incomplete. I'm sure it'll evolve significantly, but at the cost of no players.

So far, no GaaS has impressed me besides R6:Siege, and even that is strictly a competitive shooter that was great even in its alpha stages, and fun even when I playtested it in its completely broken state at Ubisoft.

Add the fact that games are expensive as ever and never drop in price, and I'll gladly wait for y'all to whine about the bugs and glitches so they can fix it and I can finally play a fixed game at Christmas when next-gen is already announced and kicking.

Fuck Destiny, btw. Ruined all GaaS shooters for me in the same genre.

Last edited:

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Rough start so far. Not particularly interested in the game, but I was hoping it would do better for Bioware's sake.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
Part of these games are the end game loot grind. You need time to fully experience it.

It needs a hell of a lot more loot then. Because streamers like KingGoth and others have already posted that in their few days of playing they feel like they've gotten most of the loot available to them, minus the random inscriptions of course. So you're not grinding for loot so much as you're grinding for inscriptions.

I keep seeing this "it's like Diablo" comparison and I find that way off the mark. Consider: Anthem has a whopping total 3 unique marksman rifles -- Scout, Guardian, Anvil. Masterworks and Legendaries are variants of the same three, statistically identical to their non-legendary counterparts only with different inscriptions and perks. Imagine if Diablo only had 3 one hand swords throughout the entire game and the same sword you picked up 300 hours in was fundamentally the same sword you had 15 minutes in, only with extra added rolls. And those rolls might not even be worth a crap, like DMG +2% to some other weapon. Don't you think you'd get tired of that pretty damn quick? I do.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Between what I have seen on Twitch and my own experiences in the Beta I am afraid this may be the end of Bioware as we knew it. Because I will be shocked at this point if it does as well as EA is expecting. There is too many negatives and not enough positives.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

You're holding them to a very low standard if you believe this is a normal release, and I disagree entirely that it's starting out on a decent footing. The game outside of the combat and flying is terrible. If it wasn't for that, the game would be getting 5's and 6's I'm sure (and still might). Other GaaS games have released in a much better state, Apex was just last week.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
They have added lots of end game difficulties like Diablo to keep them from getting boring.

You are aware that Diablo 3 has virtually no endgame at all right? Which is why when new seasons drop you see people log on and play for a couple of weeks and then everyone is gone again because the endgame progression is simply not there. The reason Diablo gets boring has nothing to do with difficulties, and that's not how you create lasting endgame content either. People in general do not find it rewarding to grind for 'Ancient Versions' or 'Better Stats' for items they already have. Especially if there is no unique content or bosses avaliable warranting doing this.

If you want to see it done right a much better example would be looking at PoE, which offers steady progression from the first minute and all through the endgame. It has multiple systems dedicated to character progression, and there is a clear path where you constantly feel your character getting more and more powerful.

As for customization, without proper well developed and thought through systems in place it doesn't really matter how much customization there is, builds will still end up feeling the same and perform similary. And by all accounts Anthem is severly lacking the systems needed to support meaningful and varied character progression that makes class builds feel unique.

Very much worth the watch, especially considering companys continue making these type of mistakes to this day.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Very interested in the eventual Easy Allies review.
Yeah I think Brandon Jones is reviewing it (unless I'm mistaken). He loved another huge budget game with mixed reviews, Wildlands. Interested to see where he lands with this one. He didn't like Crackdown though, which was his latest review. Open worlds are his thing, but this seems to fall short on that regard especially with the loading screens.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Random thoughts:

- I think it will land around 73-75
- Past GaaS games that went on to improve weren't EA games...EA does not have a lot of patience or desire to invest in underperformers. If Anthem doesn't start off strong and monetize well, they may just reduce the scope and frequency of the future updates. BioWare also has to juggle their resources among multiple large projects unlike Bungie or Massive.
- BioWare Edmonton worked a ton on Andromeda too, not just Montreal. All hands on deck to finish that game.
- EA views Premiere launch day as THE launch day. Full stop. The day 1 patch hitting the 22nd means they couldn't get it done fast enough, I'm sure they crunched very hard to try though.
- I think Origin Premiere is incredibly flawed as a business model - it maybe works for sports games but it's poison for games like this.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that we got used to games being released unfinished full of technical issues, bugs and content missing. It is not supposed to be this way if you pay full price for a product. It is because budget, fiscal years goals, deadlines, and people that defend these practices and make excuses for these developers that we get unfinished games. How the hell do games nowadays on release have there microtransaction store ready and fully functional and a fully mapped out season pass or DLC, but a messy UI, mission breaking bugs or infinite loading screens are overseen?
I'm not defending it, I'm stating the reality that these games will do fine over time. That's just the way it is. The avergae player won't care anywhere near as much as we do, and will just like flying around shooting things.

They also move at a much slower pace, so they won't see problems with things like end game, probably ever as they may even be fixed by the time they reach there.

The reality is this: every AAA GaaS game has started with issues and grown beyond them, Anthem will be no different. It being published by EA doesn't have the bearing some think it does, imo, they will understand a game like this needs a bit more time and can pay off hugely in the long term, so they will almost certainly give it more of a leash than a game like Andromed (unless it sells like absolute doodoo, ofc).

Hey - I've played the game.

The main quest has a grind element (50 melee kills, world bosses, revived etc - there's 14 of them) which takes several hours to complete. I spent 4 hours on that quest, and then gave up.

Several of the objectives need a group, but free roam doesn't even group you together, and there's no marking system on the map.
It took me two hours of just exploring free-roam and I had two more things to do. It's overblown.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It's shocking to see so much negativity from people on this board. This is by no means a perfect game, but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Graphically the game is gorgeous. Probably one of the best looking games ever made. If not the best. Flying is a lot of fun, guns are fun to shoot, the abilities are plentiful and despite being only 5 hours into the game with one character, i have found like 6-9 different abilities so far. The core combat is fun. It's challenging when solo and very cool with 4 players causing all kinds of havok everywhere.

I loved that cutscene which is quite possibly the most epic cutscene ive scene this gen. The characters are fun and the story is definitely better than Destiny even if it is ver rare to get one of those polished cutscenes. THey do a great job of doing 1v1 conversations in fort tarsis to expand the characters and the lore. something destiny, division and other games just dont bother to do.

There seems to be some issues with matchmaking putting you in with groups that have already loaded in. I saw this in BF1 on PS4 Pro. I would load in like 10 seconds before everyone thanks to the faster CPU and claim the tanks for myself. It took them a couple of months to realize what was happening and put the tanks on a counter so they only became available once everyone loads in. I think Bioware will figure this out soon enough. In the meantime, i would recommend playing through the campaign solo. it's much more enjoyable this way. it's challenging and makes you learn the systems instead of just rolling through the game with 4 players.

The loading hasnt been too bad. Most story missions with dungeons usually put me through some kind of tunnel that loads in the next area in the background. it's nothing like the demo which was awful. again, i really dont think this effects all the missions, just the rare few poorly designed ones.

The biggest problem with destiny was how after the campaign finished, all you could do was the strikes to grind to level 26 to do the raid. i remember running the strike playlists for almost 2 weeks trying to get to level 26 and still wasnt able to. it wasnt until Bungie released this stupid Queens mission that handed everyone a free level 28 helmet and chest pieces. So we had five strikes in a strike playlist, then one of those strikes was the nightfall, and the same strike was the heroic strike. Thats it. And the raid. That was destiny's end game at the start.

Anthem doesnt have this problem. Every mission has matchmaking so technically all missions have strikes. Every mission has 6 different difficulty settings, including 3 end game ones. I would have loved to have a raid and 5 strongholds but between all the story missions and the 3 strongholds plus the massive open world that puts destiny to shame, we can safely say that the game has enough content at launch to justify the $60 cost when compared to other titles.

To me, every GaaS game will have issues. Especially new ones. They have learned from games like Division and Destiny and made every mission have matchmaking. They have added lots of end game difficulties like Diablo to keep them from getting boring. As far as I can tell, there is an insane amount of customization for each character which already makes it be more rewarding than Destiny's end game which has zero customization for gear and weapons.

So they have learned, and they have made some new mistakes. I think they will get better. I am not saying that means the game shouldnt get low scores. I just hope people give it a chance because there is lots to like here. its easy to get sucked into these bandwagon movements to hate a game, but after sticking with Destiny way back when everyone was trashing the game, and most recently with Andromeda and Metal Gear Survive, i really hope people see through the hate brigade and stick with it.

Man NO. The "open world" present in this game so far is so disjointed, empty and boring. When it comes to sheer size it's bigger than any of Destiny's environments but it's also incredibly one note. Destiny's environments at least have some genuine aesthetic variety. I can't see how anyone thinks flying around in the exact same setting/environment is better than exploring a variety of different environments. Not to mention the worlds in Destiny at least have some genuine variance in encounter or world design. Nothing I saw in a Anthem seems especially varied or new in the open world past the first short bit of exploration unless I'm somehow missing that there are different biomes to explore. I don't understand how anyone could look at Anthem's open world and say it's better than Destiny in anything but sheer size which frankly is the selling point I think everyone is sick and tired of hearing at this point.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Random thoughts:

- I think it will land around 73-75
- Past GaaS games that went on to improve weren't EA games...EA does not have a lot of patience or desire to invest in underperformers. If Anthem doesn't start off strong and monetize well, they may just reduce the scope and frequency of the future updates. BioWare also has to juggle their resources among multiple large projects unlike Bungie or Massive.
- BioWare Edmonton worked a ton on Andromeda too, not just Montreal. All hands on deck to finish that game.
- EA views Premiere launch day as THE launch day. Full stop. The day 1 patch hitting the 22nd means they couldn't get it done fast enough, I'm sure they crunched very hard to try though.
- I think Origin Premiere is incredibly flawed as a business model - it maybe works for sports games but it's poison for games like this.

this will end sub 70 easily. in the end the scores don´t matter, the game is boring as is and technically incompetent- and that is what matters. when many people buy this game, they will abandon it in the span of 14days because of lacking content and the used market will be filled with copies

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think outlets in general are a bit nervous about posting at the moment for fear of being accused of rushing for clicks...even though there's really not much content in the game lmao.

I'm gonna post my review tonight I think.

It's literally been beaten by some people in 10 to 15 hours and it's been days...

If anything reviewing it now does a game a favor because who knows how bad the servers could go on public release after the open beta. :p