• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If only Apex came out earlier, maybe EA would have let them delay this then, it really could have used more time, I'm not sure if Bioware will bother supporting it and doing their Taken King seeing as how they will be giving it to another studio after launch.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Only playing it for yourself will answer that, which is why it's good there's two tiers of trial so you don't have to waste £60 with the hope you will like it. I'd be pissed if I'd paid £60 for this and I quite like it. :p

As much as this thread is full of doom, there are plenty of people who like the game.
We tried the demo and liked it since it was basically destiny. My issue was that it ran like 15 fps on my base PS4 to the point I was getting motion sick... So no idea if framerate has improved in final version

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
It's the literal reality though...

I didn't pay £60 did I?

I tried it for £15, and informed myself. I won't be spending much more unless they show some strong support fast. If they don't, I'll cancel my sub and wait.

So it didn't cost me £60, and that's a good thing.
Sure. But the price they want from you to own the game is 60€/$.you can always find a place where it isn't that expensive/you can rent it. But the "normal" price is 60 bucks. And in this special case, you had the "discount" for an Abonnement that is only available on one of the three platforms Anthem is or will be available.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Frostbite is terrible for sports games, there's so much shit in FIFA for example that is simply a factor cause of Frostbite and that affects gameplay.

What's more interesting is that if I'm not mistaken modern titles like NBA Live 19 and NHL 19 still using the Ignite Engine. If they kept developing that also for the FIFA it could've been a lot more bug free game than Frostbite FIFA's.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Sure, it's better but i think the point i was making still stands for the most part to this day. Which is that they could be doing so much more with it than they have.
And that the main reason people leave is because farming 'higher rifts' of the same content gets old fast especially when the only reward is chasing a version of an item you already have with higher numbers on it.

And that there isn't really any depth in the few systems they have that are dedicated to character progression.

And it's because Anthem seem to be severly lacking in these areas i think that it's gonna have a hard time surviving, because it's flawed/broken on a fundamental systems level that is going to be very hard if not impossible to actually remedy.

I'll say this for Diablo 3 though, it was atleast fun to play for a bit, and some build/item combos were hilarious to use. Like the first iteration of Shard of Hate / Whirlwind that put chain lightning pretty much over your entire screen and just destroyed everything in it's path instantly. The Jade Harvester build for WD with Haunt and Locust Swarm + Soul Harvest was also hilariously broken.

I think they actually have the groundwork laid out to provide engaging character progression, I just don't know if they will implement it. They could do all kinds of neat stuff with the javelin mods. You have 6 sockets and they could create a variety of new legendary mods that could do crazy shit. They could add different ultimates to the javelins. They could add more types of equipment for your abilities (as in new launcher types or grenade types for the Ranger; new seals for the storm; etc). They could do a lot with that which is why I'm still hopeful for the game. It has solid systems in place, but needs to be a bit more fleshed out.

That's my biggest concern with the game right now. It has a lot of good ideas and solid ground work, but they haven't really executed any of them to their potential. I think my favorite analogy I saw someone use was that they spent a lot of time baking an amazing cake, but then ran out of time and smeared Betty Crocker pre-made icing on top with their bare hands.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is this a Destiny 1 situation where there is a great base to build from but it's currently a concrete foundation at this point with nothing on top?
It's worse than D1. The only thing this game has going for it is the flying and combat. There are almost no interesting enemies or encounters, the world is samey and bland, and the entire thing is crushed under the weight of a terrible engine that will likely keep it from ever performing or loading well. It's shackled to the worst implementation of a mission hub I've seen in a decade, and it's incredibly restrictive to the point of idiocy when it comes to setting loadouts and managing loot mid-mission. Their excuse that they didn't have those options to keep the game fast-paced rings hollow when every mission involves waiting literal minutes on several load screens, flying long distances from objective to objective with thrusters made of the cheapest material they could find that overheat 3 times before you reach any objective, and additional forced loading screens if you fall behind your allies or revive yourself (it literally reloads the entire map, at least 1 minute on an nVME SSD).

Last edited:

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But the price they want from you to own the game is 60€/$.you can always find a place where it isn't that expensive/you can rent it. But the "normal" price is 60 bucks. And in this special case, you had the "discount" for an Abonnement that is only available on one of the three platforms Anthem is or will be available.
If you're being fair you have to consider that £60 will net you all future story DLC for free, and that anthem is designed to be an episodic game. This has been known from early on, way before money was taken.

So while I'm certainly with you calling the game out for releasing in such a sorry state to begin with, it's not the usual state of things. Not like Destiny where by the time fixes are in the game you'll have to pay extra to keep up with content, for example.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We tried the demo and liked it since it was basically destiny. My issue was that it ran like 15 fps on my base PS4 to the point I was getting motion sick... So no idea if framerate has improved in final version

Wait and see then, definitely do not buy it until people report back. You'll only have to wait a couple of hours post launch to get this info anyway.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No I didn't say that, why do you need to lie?
I literally can't finish the last mission, and this happened just an HOUR AGO. I paid money for this game and I expect a working product, this game right now is a joke.

Ok but it's just one example for a connection problem that you had with the game, I'm talking about bugs as in stuff in the game world breaking and not working properly, destiny as it stands is a very polished game, Anthem is not. Period.

Great you can't finish the last mission, you really think that won't be fixed? I had weapons deleted in destiny because of server role backs I missed the ending to destiny 2 story because it crashed out on me. Shit happens bud, it will get fixed. To write off one game and praise another for the same issues is insanity.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer and co. don't have at least one capable gaming PC in their offices. It's not about being rich, it's their job and this should be basic equipment for them.
They often want to review it on PS4 too, as that's the platform most people will play it on and where more people want their review to be.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I experienced a bug on a story mission involving a strider that did not allow our group to complete the objective (reach the strider) until someone quit, allowing 3 of the 4 of us to complete the mission and, I assume, causing that one person to have to do it again. It was an extremely long mission.

What a clusterfuck. I'm convinced Bioware does not have a QA division. This bug is widely reported, game breaking, and part of a main story quest. Jesus.

And I never experienced a single bug during my playthrough of the story at all. Makes bugs like that hard to catch. If it bugs out all the time QA should catch it. If it bugs for you, but not me then QA might not be able to easily replicate the scenario and find the cause to fix it.

I do believe that bug was one mentioned for the Day 1 patch, though. So all the reporting did help and BioWare's QA did fix it. They said not all bug fixes would be implemented in the build launched on the 15th, so you should have known it might not be perfect.

Day 1 Fixes (don't think this is even a full patch notes, but it does mention a couple story mission bug fixes that halted progression).

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I've increasingly noticed this as of late as well, you should check out incredible PR fluff piece in this thread that's currently going on, it's quite rich. The dude is off his rocker and quite delusional if you ask me lol...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._believe_the_hate_anthem_is_awesome_and_well/

He's entitled to his opinion. I mean I saw review scores for crackdown 3 were terrible and I almost didnt buy it. But I loved the original crackdown and read that the game is basically just more crackdown...ok thats all I need. Ended up going to buy it I would have paid $60 and I found game pass free trial.to try it out and I love the game.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
He's entitled to his opinion. I mean I saw review scores for crackdown were terrible and I almost didnt buy it. But I loved the original crackdown and read that the game is basically just more crackdown...ok thats all I need. Ended up going to buy it I would have paid $60 and I found game pass free trial.to try it out and I love the game.

So I think I will like anthem but instead of buying day one I will use the ea basic pass to play the 10 hour free trial to make sure.

edit - oops didnt mean to double post

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can i ask, if you get the $15 10hr trial, do you then have to shell out the 60 to get the full game or do they take off the $15?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
While I'll readily admit there are flaws at the moment I've overall enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay. I am confused at how Destiny is any better from a gameplay loop? I don't see a lot of difference in the quests/missions between the two? It's the nature of these games. How many times in Destiny did I have to defend a transmitter or just kill everything in a room or area? A bunch. How was the open world any more compelling I'm not sure? Again Anthem is far from perfect but neither are the other games in the genre.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Great you can't finish the last mission, you really think that won't be fixed? I had weapons deleted in destiny because of server role backs I missed the ending to destiny 2 story because it crashed out on me. Shit happens bud, it will get fixed. To write off one game and praise another for the same issues is insanity.
How is a "very poilshed game"=no bugs, are you serious?
"Shit happens bud, it will get fixed." Lol ok. it's a waste of time talking with you, you're on cloud nine.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I'll readily admit there are flaws at the moment I've overall enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay. I am confused at how Destiny is any better from a gameplay loop? I don't see a lot of difference in the quests/missions between the two? It's the nature of these games. How many times in Destiny did I have to defend a transmitter or just kill everything in a room or area? A bunch. How was the open world any more compelling I'm not sure? Again Anthem is far from perfect but neither are the other games in the genre.
The gunplay is significantly better in Destiny. That greatly affects the gameplay loop for me. And while the areas are smaller in Destiny, there is a lot more variety in terms of types of environments and locations in terms of terrain, different and new places to see.

Oct 30, 2017
Only if you cut that out from the rest of the comment.... why did you do that?

You only had to tread one more tiny line to get the proper context...

Sorry, I hate when people do that to me.

However, your still saying what you're saying in that first paragraph.

Warframe, The Division, Destiny.... all of them started off with this level of critique for various reason and grew beyond it. This is nothing new, and people expecting different just because it was Bioware had expectations waaaay off the norm.

Again, not saying this is a good thing, but this is how these GaaS go.

Release in a lacking state -> grow beyond it.

Anthem has one saving grace in that all futuer story DLC will be free, but unless they really pull some great support out the hat from day 1 I very much doubt many people here will stick with it.

So it could buck the trend, or it could grow beyond what people here think it's possible of reaching, but only time will tell.

It's still what it is no matter what else you say. That expectations should always be at minimum because that's just how it is.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

one thing is the setting, you go through all these different environments, in Anthem its basically just jungle

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I hate when people do that to me.

However, your still saying what you're saying in that first paragraph.

It's still what it is no matter what else you say.
I'm not still saying that... the very next line literally says I'm not saying what you imply I am. This is the THIRD time you've not read the post properly, what is happening?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

The general sentiment is that Anthem is being held to a higher standard because it's coming later in the genre and they should have learned from all the mistakes made from other games previous.

Which makes intuitive sense but looking at the history of video games does not seem like a pragmatic belief.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The general sentiment is that Anthem is being held to a higher standard because it's coming later in the genre and they should have learned from all the mistakes made from other games previous.

Which makes intuitive sense but looking at the history of video games does not seem like a pragmatic belief.
Idd.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I also think that because this is the fourth or so attempt at this type of game this generation, we're out of patience. Look at how everyone quickly savaged Destiny 2 and the mess with that. The good will has been gone.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nope, Destiny 1 was a fine game and our community for it was one of the largest we've ever had.
Not the entire game, the bugs. They were shit. They hurt the game. They didn't ruin the game.

I really liked D1. I didn't defend it's bugs. It was a mess. So is Anthem. I don't see the point in defending Anthem's bugs because other games also had bugs.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
this thread will top the crackdown 3 thread in pages with ease.
the hype is real (for low scores lol)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So you pay 15 to play for a month, like it, then buy it for 60.

So you've spent £75.

Or you spent £15 to see if you like a game it turns out you don't.
If I like the game, £75 will be less in the long run than I spent on Destiny and all other games of this type in terms of story DLC, as it's all free in Anthem.

So either way it's fine with me.

I'm mostly happy that I didn't have to risk £60 all at once.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you pay 15 to play for a month, like it, then buy it for 60.

So you've spent £75.

Or you spent £15 to see if you like a game it turns out you don't.
Better to just pay the $99 for the year if you like it. Comes out to about $8.25 per month. (I'm assuming that's the same overseas.)

I am confused as to why they are calling this a Day One update.

The game is already out.
Technically this is "early access."

EA game releases are an absolute mess these days.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it hard to believe IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer and co. don't have at least one capable gaming PC in their offices. It's not about being rich, it's their job and this should be basic equipment for them.
If only they could play the PC version to completion and then test the PS4 performance afterwards. If EA didn't give a single reviewer a PS4 copy until now then this makes sense, otherwise it doesn't.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused as to why they are calling this a Day One update.

The game is already out.

It's not, this is early access. You can rightly critique that if you want to as the launch was a fucking mess, but the official launch is set as the 22nd. Remember, ps4 doesn't even have access right now, and x-box only has a 10 hour trial.

It's only PC that has a full access.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's shocking to see so much negativity from people on this board. This is by no means a perfect game, but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Graphically the game is gorgeous. Probably one of the best looking games ever made. If not the best. Flying is a lot of fun, guns are fun to shoot, the abilities are plentiful and despite being only 5 hours into the game with one character, i have found like 6-9 different abilities so far. The core combat is fun. It's challenging when solo and very cool with 4 players causing all kinds of havok everywhere.

I loved that cutscene which is quite possibly the most epic cutscene ive scene this gen. The characters are fun and the story is definitely better than Destiny even if it is ver rare to get one of those polished cutscenes. THey do a great job of doing 1v1 conversations in fort tarsis to expand the characters and the lore. something destiny, division and other games just dont bother to do.

There seems to be some issues with matchmaking putting you in with groups that have already loaded in. I saw this in BF1 on PS4 Pro. I would load in like 10 seconds before everyone thanks to the faster CPU and claim the tanks for myself. It took them a couple of months to realize what was happening and put the tanks on a counter so they only became available once everyone loads in. I think Bioware will figure this out soon enough. In the meantime, i would recommend playing through the campaign solo. it's much more enjoyable this way. it's challenging and makes you learn the systems instead of just rolling through the game with 4 players.

The loading hasnt been too bad. Most story missions with dungeons usually put me through some kind of tunnel that loads in the next area in the background. it's nothing like the demo which was awful. again, i really dont think this effects all the missions, just the rare few poorly designed ones.

The biggest problem with destiny was how after the campaign finished, all you could do was the strikes to grind to level 26 to do the raid. i remember running the strike playlists for almost 2 weeks trying to get to level 26 and still wasnt able to. it wasnt until Bungie released this stupid Queens mission that handed everyone a free level 28 helmet and chest pieces. So we had five strikes in a strike playlist, then one of those strikes was the nightfall, and the same strike was the heroic strike. Thats it. And the raid. That was destiny's end game at the start.

Anthem doesnt have this problem. Every mission has matchmaking so technically all missions have strikes. Every mission has 6 different difficulty settings, including 3 end game ones. I would have loved to have a raid and 5 strongholds but between all the story missions and the 3 strongholds plus the massive open world that puts destiny to shame, we can safely say that the game has enough content at launch to justify the $60 cost when compared to other titles.

To me, every GaaS game will have issues. Especially new ones. They have learned from games like Division and Destiny and made every mission have matchmaking. They have added lots of end game difficulties like Diablo to keep them from getting boring. As far as I can tell, there is an insane amount of customization for each character which already makes it be more rewarding than Destiny's end game which has zero customization for gear and weapons.

So they have learned, and they have made some new mistakes. I think they will get better. I am not saying that means the game shouldnt get low scores. I just hope people give it a chance because there is lots to like here. its easy to get sucked into these bandwagon movements to hate a game, but after sticking with Destiny way back when everyone was trashing the game, and most recently with Andromeda and Metal Gear Survive, i really hope people see through the hate brigade and stick with it.

So far you're copying the learning curve on the game that everyone here came through.
First impressions are great. After several hours you're like "Why the fuck does everyone bitch about this game, it's fine".
After 10+ hours you'll be thinking "This is actually pretty annoying".
After 20 hours you'll be like "Whoa this is pretty shit, I can't believe they thought it will go down well".

It's nice you're having fun. Come back later and we'll see how you're feeling then.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I like the game, £75 will be less in the long run than I spent on Destiny and all other games of this type in terms of story DLC, as it's all free in Anthem.

So either way it's fine with me.

I'm mostly happy that I didn't have to risk £60 all at once.
Personally I don't like putting money on risky investments and Anthem looks like a mediocre product so I'll stick with Apex for now.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
at this point i really think they did this Day One Patch bonanza just to silence early crtitique on the game, they knew that many people will jump in as a defense force like it is happening now and that many people would discredit early reviews as "not legit because the Day One patch isn´t there"

sometimes i think many people are only playing for 2 or 3 years to believe that or are just naive...believing in a Day One patch that will remedy all issues is like believing in castles in the sky...people playing for decades have seen this song and dance a little too often to believe it anymore