• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
We received a mail todat outlining the content of the day 1 patch. My editor let me decide how we approach this and I decided to hold back our review until March the 1st to have a full week of gameplay with the many fixes in place, in order to give our readers the most accurate picture of what they would be spending their money on.

Good call. I will make sure I pay a visit to that review.

If BW/EA haven't done so already, they need to reach out to outlets and ask nicely if they can hold off on review for the actual launch build.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
So it seems reviews are dropping in, it is sitting at 64 Opencritic with 11 reviews:

https://opencritic.com/game/7084/anthem

47096372432_48a1006e2d_o_d.png

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
This games has been in development for like 6 years. How can you tell me this games did not have enough development time or budget?
Because it was probably not being developed for 6 years?

From what I've gathered, it stayed in pre-production for a long time while BioWare main force was developing DAI and then helping with Andromeda, and then Anthem full production started.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Not really surprised. I am level 14 and I found this game a complete slog.

It's funny because I will tell my friends how boring it is and all I am doing is the same mission of killing easy mobs -> grabbing things off the ground - > upload a signal while fighting mobs -> end, but when you break it down a lot of games are like that.

I think the biggest problem is how long it takes to in and out of the action because when playing Destiny, Diablo, Division etc the minute to minute action is fast so I don't sit around waiting at load screens or slowly walking through base getting missions that are ultimately pretty repetitive and boring.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this hand-wringing over Metacritic scores in the 70s. Meanwhile, Rainbow Six: Siege is still sitting here with its score of 75ish (consoles).

This game is going to score poorly at launch, no doubt. That doesn't mean it's dead.

Also, yeah, stop pinning everything on EA. Didn't Bioware emphatically claim "WE were the ones who wanted to move to Frostbite"?

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it was probably not being developed for 6 years?

From what I've gathered, it stayed in pre-production for a long time while BioWare main force was developing DAI and then helping with Andromeda, and then Anthem full production started.
Yep I would agree with that.

A lot of you are discrediting BioWare because it's missing a few key names from the past. I'm sure BioWare has a lot of very intelligent and creative people, it's not difficult to see how to improve upon GaaS and deliver something truly new and interesting.

They're not mindless drones, the restrictions here seem obvious when you look at the final product, it's rote and boilerplate, it's the bedrock for a larger and more interesting game.

Give BioWare more credit, and EA less.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Good call. I will make sure I pay a visit to that review.

If BW/EA haven't done so already, they need to reach out to outlets and ask nicely if they can hold off on review for the actual launch build.
That would be a pretty damn shitty position.

"Hey, I know we're selling this product for money right now, but could you not actually review it until we've had a chance to fix it so the initial sales aren't effected?" *wink wink nudge nudge you depend on us for early codes and previews etc.*

Like, a site deciding not to review it until the thing that's been arbitrarily decided as the "launch" build is out, sure, that's fine. That review is a worthwhile thing to exist. But the idea that EA should be telling people not to review the game until they say so is just ludicrous. In that case, just don't release the game until it's ready.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Saw this coming from a mile away after the two demos and I say that as a (former) Bioware fanboy.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe how much people are hating Owen. Picked out from review from Gadgets 360, who gave it a 5/10:

It doesn't help that its inhabitants — like Owen who provides you support while you're in the field — are exceptionally annoying to talk to, while conversations with others like your reluctant mentor Haluk are cliched and cringe-worthy at best. As we played the game, it became clear that characters like Matthias and Amal who we interacted with in the demo were cherry-picked because they were the most interesting of the lot, and the full game isn't representative of this

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This game is not scoring over 70, no way. Half the reivews won't even score it, and those that do won't buck the trend. The writing's on the wall.

Bioware had better give this game super fucking great support and fast, or it's going to fold.

its like clockwork with EA, they buy a studio and their output is certain to diminish, literally everyone saw this coming

a real fucking shame

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to purchase this game or have been following it at all but wow there is a lot of overactions here.
I tried the trial a little bit and it was fun. I wasn't expecting the world thou.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
We received a mail todat outlining the content of the day 1 patch. My editor let me decide how we approach this and I decided to hold back our review until March the 1st to have a full week of gameplay with the many fixes in place, in order to give our readers the most accurate picture of what they would be spending their money on.
this is the correct choice, i hope that more journalist can follow your example.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how much people are hating Owen. Picked out from review from Gadgets 360, who gave it a 5/10:

I think a 5/10 is what i'd give it (well, itd be a 2/5 on the 5 point scale I personally use) but yeah I think the characters(Owen included) are one of the positives i'd point out with the game.

I like Owen a lot, but it's incredibly hard to stay interested in this dog shit story so maybe that's part of the reviewers issue

Oct 26, 2017
I just want a new IP that knows how the fuck to tell an interesting story in a fresh world filled with cool lore. I'm trying to think of the last looter-style game that managed to nail this. I genuinely don't mind most of the big flaws people are talking about...except that I'm utterly disappointed in this world and how it tells it's story. I know...a stupid thing to be down about with a game like this.

I can't stand Owen at all. He was a huge turn-off after that weird and confusing intro.
I think a 5/10 is what i'd give it (well, itd be a 2/5 on the 5 point scale I personally use) but yeah I think the characters(Owen included) are one of the positives i'd point out with the game.

I like Owen a lot, but it's incredibly hard to stay interested in this dog shit story so maybe that's part of the reviewers issue
I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. He annoyed me when I played the Alpha, but now playing the full game...I don't know. Maybe it is that in a world full of boring ass characters, I'm glad to have someone with a little personality, even if his personality is that he can't shut his mouth.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Owen reminded me of that annoying guy that follows you around after you win the Arena in Oblivion. Anthem's characters are written in a way that seems like they are trying to make you feel like the coolest person in the world at all times, and I find that off-putting.

Oct 26, 2017
There is a random side character who gives missions in Anthem that I really do love, and he needs to be more of a character. I can't remember his name now though....bald guy with an accent that writes the stories of fallen Freelancers. Like, that guy has an interesting life. I want more of him. (His name starts with a Y)

Yes! Thank you.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I just want a new IP with that knows how the fuck to tell an interesting story in a fresh world filled with cool lore. I'm trying to think of the last looter-style game that managed to nail this. I genuinely don't mind just about most of the big flaws people are talking about...except that I'm utterly disappointed in this world and how it tells it's story. I know...a stupid thing to be down about with a game like this.

I seriously empathize with your post and especially the bolded part.

While not a looter style, my hopes are with Cyberpunk to be that world and game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yep I would agree with that.
The only thing I hold against this idea is that Andromeda launched march 2017 and then june 2017 we already saw a very developed E3 build of Anthem which is more than you could've said for Andromeda or even DAI in their respective marketing cycles.

I believe in the time before Andromeda released though there had been rumors about Anthem kinda running in circles in its pre-production, and no doubt there must've been bad morale surrounding it considering Casey Hudson left back in 2014.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Granted it's only 11 reviews but god damn a 64 average is depressing. Couldn't be further from what I would have expected just a few months ago. Hard to believe this is BioWare we're talking about.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I hold against this idea is that Andromeda launched march 2017 and then june 2017 we already saw a very developed E3 build of Anthem which is more than you could've said for Andromeda or even DAI in their respective marketing cycles.

I believe in the time before Andromeda released though there had been rumors about Anthem kinda running in circles in its pre-production, and no doubt there must've been bad morale surrounding it considering Casey Hudson left back in 2014.

Yes but that demo was a focused and developer driven effort that showed off the flight and elements of combat, not the things that are really driving the mediocrity.

The real issues surrounding the game, IE it being an MMO Lite but without the legs to carry it, are not present in that demo.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

who is Casey? Anthem was announced on 2013?

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
That would be a pretty damn shitty position.

"Hey, I know we're selling this product for money right now, but could you not actually review it until we've had a chance to fix it so the initial sales aren't effected?" *wink wink nudge nudge you depend on us for early codes and previews etc.*

Like, a site deciding not to review it until the thing that's been arbitrarily decided as the "launch" build is out, sure, that's fine. That review is a worthwhile thing to exist. But the idea that EA should be telling people not to review the game until they say so is just ludicrous. In that case, just don't release the game until it's ready.

I am just gonna pre-face this by saying I actually had my pre-order canceled so I am not sayint it to defend BW or justify my purchase AND I agree it is a shitting position that they bring upon themselves solely for subscription money via early access.

However I would argue the actual launch date is not arbitrary. All of their official advertising had 2.22.2019 as launch date. What they should have done is put a giant disclaimer for those that can play it early to say "early access experience does not include potential patches available at launch".

57hzckrnk5h21.jpg