• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
From his other channel, Laymen Gaming:

pieceofshitx2fh1.png

Ok, I just watched the PDP video they did, and explicitly say they're not endorsing or defending PDP and in fact acknowledge his mistakes and that some things he's said in the past is not ok!

What they said in this video is that anyone who recommends a channel (including PDP) shouldn't need to go through every video to vet the channel.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019

Datto impressions are pretty middle ground, he is an expert on these types of games so avoids the complaints about there limitations and sticks with what works and what needs to get better. Been watching his destiny stuff for years, kinda get into math a lot in his more in-depth stuff but these impressions are good for any fans of the genre.

Yeah, I watched it yesterday and think it's one of the best reviews I have seen so far.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Anecdotally, there does appear to be a disconnect between critics and the enthusiast online communities, and more casual players.

If you have valid critisms then you are a hater and don't know what you are talking about apparently. Like I feel I can't have good arguments with those that defend Anthem or any game for that matter that is medicore, half baked and littered with technical bugs. I think as a whole Anthem is extremely divisive for some reason or another and for the life of me I can't figure out why that is.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It feels like there was no love behind it.

Destiny comparisons are the most apt. Even though Destiny 1 was gutted before release and had a non-story (up until The Taken King), it has a striking artistic and visual identity. From the world design to the different enemy races, everything was meticulously designed. From the distinct looks of the alien races, each unique, with a clear ideology behind it, to the post-post-apocalyptic worlds. Even the UI of that game had a ton of love poured into it.

In the end, even without a narrative, Destiny had a coherent, unique techno-fantasy world to fall back on. Anthem reminds me of Dawngate, EA's answer to LoL.
I agree, it goes back to something I have been saying about anthem for as long as I could remember, I always complained about a lack of mystique - the freelancers were just regular-ass people, compared to say the tenno in WF or Guardians in Destiny , there was no symbol or icon to tie the the universe together like the Traveller or the mass relay, or the halo rings. Not that these things are necessary but they help form an identity. Months before Destiny released it had generated a defines universal aesthetic and tone that was evocative of something grander same with No Man's Sky.

I am really looking forward to what Anthem has to offer, but will wait until a lot fixes are made.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Just watched the Skill Up review, and damn... Never seen review by this bloke before. Does he always do these indepth analysis? Because i really loved the format of it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I just watched the PDP video they did, and explicitly say they're not endorsing or defending PDP and in fact acknowledge his mistakes and that some things he's said in the past is not ok!

What they said in this video is that anyone who recommends a channel (including PDP) shouldn't need to go through every video to vet the channel.

Anyone who posts videos about "sjw" is putting out content that is unacceptable.

It's that simple.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That SkillUp review (very well done) pretty much confirms all my fears about this game and why I refused to get too hyped about it. Shame because I was looking for the next game to play like I did in Destiny. The Division 2 won't be it. Guess I'll be waiting for Borderlands 3.

Just watched the Skill Up review, and damn... Never seen review by this bloke before. Does he always do these indepth analysis? Because i really loved the format of it.
For larger titles that he was really looking forward to, or games he really wants to spotlight, yes. Sometimes he even does written scripts for these reviews with some nice art and puts them up on his Patreon.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
About 20% of your time with the game is actually any conceivable kind of fun (the rest is loading, Tarsis, standing around on objective or dealing with bugs). If that translated to scores, a fair score would be 2/10.
Andromeda was sort of fun about 40% of the time.
Disagree. And I'm sure the loading and bugs will be reduced in a few days with the patch.

stryfee

Apr 30, 2018
because they want to hit that fiscal year. they really care more about investors than the quality and dont think about long term impact of their choices.

Super facts right here folks. That March 31st date is a killer. It's all about the investors. I won't say who I worked for but that date and e3 builds are a nightmare time-line for devs. Content scaled back, crunch and ks's everywhere.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017

Dyin' on that hill, huh?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
POLYGON:

"Anthem trips over itself trying to blend two genres into one"

Read the review, here.
End Summary:
Anthem's campaign is a collision of competing ideas. Where it succeeds, in its combat and characters, it's sabotaged by load screens, clunky menus, and the glacial pace of Fort Tarsis. It's frustrating seeing the game's various designs mash against each other, like a soggy jigsaw puzzle where the pieces no longer quite fit.

BioWare has already done a lot of the hard work. A satisfying core gameplay loop is difficult to create, but the studio has managed it. Playing makes me feel like a true sci-fi superhero, 10 seconds at a time. But in order for Anthem to survive, BioWare will need to clarify its identity and prioritize the right elements of it. I'd love for the story, the interface, the experience of playing Anthem to service that loop, rather than fight it. I'd love for unique quests and activities to not just keep me occupied, but give me something to strive for. Playing Anthem, I can sense where this game is going. I just worry about how long it will take to get there

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Not really, no. I don't agree with their take on it. I just think that to say they now support PDP is incorrect.

Never said they supported PDP

I don't watch their videos because they release YouTube content with SJW and sexist and triggered in the titles.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Never said they supported PDP

I don't watch their videos because they release YouTube content with SJW and sexist and triggered in the titles.

If you haven't watched the videos, don't comment on what they contain.

Edit: The thumbnails they use are pretty shitty, I agree, but their content is pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Watching Brad play this in the unfinished was painful. Completely grounded as the Storm, talking about how hovering is not useful. Oof

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Idk what the point of this post is besides to show you haven't read the patch notes and be a poor attempt at a troll.

The point is that the nature of how the game is put together and what engine it uses is what determines the frequency and length of the loading screens.
Sure, they say they'll attempt to decrease their length in the Day 8 patch, but that really tells you nothing, plus the frequency will stay. It's not something that can be patched out easily, or even at all.
You can continue to believe in the Jesus Patch that will magically fix everything wrong with the game in 7 days when they didn't manage to do it in 6 years, but your belief won't make it so, I'm afraid.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I don't really like talking for other people but umm... I'm pretty sure it was a joke made at the expense of Frostbite. You know, the loading issues being caused by Frostbite being a complete pig to work with.
So every frostbite game has insane loading screens? People assuming everything is frostbites issue are being extremely presumptuous.

The point is that the nature of how the game is put together and what engine it uses is what determines the frequency and length of the loading screens.
Sure, they say they'll attempt to decrease their length in the Day 8 patch, but that really tells you nothing, plus the frequency will stay. It's not something that can be patched out easily, or even at all.
You can continue to believe in the Jesus Patch that will magically fix everything wrong with the game in 7 days when they didn't manage to do it in 6 years, but your belief won't make it so, I'm afraid.

Yup dude is trolling. "Day 8, Jesus patch, fix the game in 7 days" nonsense.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
What!? SkillUp makes thoughtful reviews and Layman Gaming is a parody channel. This three australian brothers are great.

I'll watch SkillUp's review later, but the text in the thumbnail doesn't sound good.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, that SkillUp video. How the hell did this end up like this? This is another Andromeda, hell, I'd argue Anthem is in a worse state than Andromeda (except they did the facial animations first this time, lol).

Oh how the mighty Bioware has falled.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Defending videos with sjw and feminist triggered on the titles just cause they hate the same videogame you do. Good job.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"Day 8, Jesus patch, fix the game in 7 days" nonsense.

Yep, I'm glad you finally see the light.
Bioware did not put out this game in a broken state because they don't care. It's because this is the best shape they managed to hammer it into.
Sure, they might apply some band aids and fix some outright bugs, definitely, but this is the game. This is the product. It's not changing drastically in the foreseeable future.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"The endgame, the reward for powering through the campaign, similarly suffers from drudgery. Strongholds are considered to be the pinnacle activity in Anthem. Only three Stronghold missions are available at launch, and the third one culminates with shooting a large dude for 35 minutes. There's no strategy; my squad just shoots at the same large dude for 35 minutes straight."

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
So every frostbite game has insane loading screens? People assuming everything is frostbites issue are being extremely presumptuous.
Not every game no, but Frostbite was built primarily for smaller scale games like Battlefield and not for massive, complicated, many interworking features style RPG's. As far as I remember both Inquisition and Andromeda had many of the same issues this game has with handling assets, coincidence? Hell an interview was just released today with Amy Hennig talking about the difficulties working with Frostbite. I would be willing to bet at least a solid year or 2 of Anthem's dev time was spent re-tooling Frostbite to handle a game of this scale better.