• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
But those were not even the major issues most reviewers brought up. If they reviewed the game today it would get the same (or worse) scores, since the patch seems to have created now problems than it solved.

Bioware was certainly aware of these bugs. They didn't care enough to fix the game before shipping it. They probably have too small of a dev/QA team to keep up with their bug backlog while also implementing features.
the buggy unplayable nightmare of a game that constantly disconnects, crashes...the infinite load bug talk. The "roadblock"..fun killing...screeching halt of a tomb quest. These just weren't things experienced by me at all...on console.

i still think its maybe a 6/10 game rn.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to come out the game was made in 18 months. That's the only thing that makes sense. I have no clue how you can have designers on pay for multiple months and come up with this system.

It's been clear the past month or so that they've been making shit up as they go along in regards to the loot system.

We basically already know this happened. Jason Schreier talked about this at length in his Anthem article: This game was in pre-production for a huge amount of time and only rather recently went into full production. We don't have an exact time frame, but I would be surprised if it was more than 2 years.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Agreed on all counts.

That video with so many badly rolled masterwork items betray the name "masterwork" IMO. There's nothing masterworked about them. Ray Charles could have made something with better stats. Like, look at this shit:

/snipped picture

why is that okay? autocannon damage? marksman rifle damage? ELECTRIC DAMAGE?

c'mon, BioWare.
Even pickup radius feels like a dump stat. I don't think it should be an option at all but especially on weapons.
We basically already know this happened. Jason Schreier talked about this at length in his Anthem article: This game was in pre-production for a huge amount of time and only rather recently went into full production. We don't have an exact time frame, but I would be surprised if it was more than 2 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if full production for the version of Anthem we're currently playing only started when Casey Hudson came back.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
the buggy unplayable nightmare of a game that constantly disconnects, crashes...the infinite load bug talk. The "roadblock"..fun killing...screeching halt of a tomb quest. These just weren't things experienced by me at all...on console.

i still think its maybe a 6/10 game rn.
My brother literally just called me asking how to refund the game on PSN because he disconnects or gets booted back to Tarsis 3 out of every 4 attempts at quick play and this is apparently while partied up with 2 friends too. He said he's been having these issues since he bought the game on Saturday. He's furious about how glitchy the game is and feels cheated and lied to because he's super casual thus didn't check any coverage or reviews and picked it up because it was a game one of his friends was interested in. He is playing on PS4. So no disconnects and other technical issues are absolutely an issue in the console releases.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Very nice review.

Though I will say: I've noted that a lot of people have a problem with not being able to hot-swap items on the fly. I, actually, have no problem with this at all...in concept. I think choosing your loadout at the fort before going out makes the game feel less "gamey" if that makes sense. After all, where the fuck are you hiding 200 other weapons? In your rectum? No, it's okay to have to make a good decision on your loadout before venturing out and IMO that's how it should be. Nightfalls in Destiny don't let you swap gear either and nobody complains about that.

The problem, however, is in the amount of time it takes to test and find the loadout you like. It's the loading times, man. It's the crashes. Ain't nobody trying to spend 45 minutes trying out various combinations of skills and weapons. In any other game, that might take 5-10 minutes, tops. That's Destiny, Diablo 3, Path of Exile. Even in a game that has a similar setup -- Elite: Dangerous -- It probably takes no more than a couple of minutes to test your loadouts. In that game the length of time is a design feature (you have to land your ship in a dock, dock, switch weapons, get clearance to launch, get to a safe distance to test fire to make things feel realistic) and not a bunch of loading screens. If Anthem didn't take several minutes per run to test weapon combinations, the loadout system would be receiving no complaints. I really like having to make all your decisions at once. It's very simulator-like. But not with these loading screens.

You know what I would accept? A virtual combat simulator or something that you can use when inside the Javelin to test out any build you want based on the weapons and stats you have. VR combat scenarios. Then once you've found something you like, you equip it on your real Javelin and then set out. I think that would be a happy medium for most players assuming these loading screens are here to stay.

lol, if you think the tomb quest changes would have raised this game's average scoring by 10 points, you failed to understand the scope of issues people have with the game.

I actually have to ask though, do you feel that some skills are not working as intended ? Like you have a Frost Grenade that sets something up for a combo like say for a Pulse Blast, but then if you have a seeker missle I never actually seen do a combo which is odd. I did not want to write this into my review but I have a sneaking suspicion that not every skill creates a combo even if mixed with Acid or frost (Purely talking from a Ranger standpoint).

Also I keep getting weird drops, and on GM1 (Yes jesus I'm still playing the game no idea why), I actually found the best way to get MW items is just doing some really basic quick world event that gives a chest. You can clear a skorpion nest in 5 minutes and most of the times the thing drops stuff for me. An Urix in freeplay dropped MW, I feel sorry for the poor souls doing 40 minute grinds in Tyrant Mine

Also on a quick edit, I don't get grenade launchers or Autocannons at all. No idea if this is a loot bug, or if this is still happening to other people , but my Colossus is unuseable.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I actually have to ask though, do you feel that some skills are not working as intended ? Like you have a Frost Grenade that sets something up for a combo like say for a Pulse Blast, but then if you have a seeker missle I never actually seen do a combo which is odd. I did not want to write this into my review but I have a sneaking suspicion that not every skill creates a combo even if mixed with Acid or frost (Purely talking from a Ranger standpoint).

Also I keep getting weird drops, and on GM1 (Yes jesus I'm still playing the game no idea why), I actually found the best way to get MW items is just doing some really basic quick world event that gives a chest. You can clear a skorpion nest in 5 minutes and most of the times the thing drops stuff for me. An Urix in freeplay dropped MW, I feel sorry for the poor souls doing 40 minute grinds in Tyrant Mine

Also on a quick edit, I don't get grenade launchers or Autocannons at all. No idea if this is a loot bug, or if this is still happening to other people , but my Colossus is unuseable.
I noticed that as well on my Ranger (played end game with Ranger, levelling with Colossus), though my biggest issue was with Frag Grenades which I used as my primary detonator. It seems when it lands on an uneven surface it's a dice roll whether it will hit enemies higher or lower than it, so many times I've thrown it at a group of iced enemies and it's done nothing, like the explosion fell through the floor or something. Also yeah, on GM1 if you're just going for MW's FreePlay is your best bet. I would also stick to GM1 if you value your sanity, GM2 feels like Division's spongiest enemies but it's everyone and GM3 is that +900% or so. Also the only Stronghold worth doing is Tyrant Mine, the rest are well..... useless basically.

I don't think Autocannons or Grenade Launchers drop when not playing as Colussus, at least I haven't seen any.

Last edited:

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I prefer switching loadout in-game, but I'm a filthy casual. I don't need it to be realistic, I just find it more engaging when I can think about and use the best weapon I have for the job when situations change.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Streamerhouse got banned for farming in the most efficient way they knew how. Wow, looking for that reaction.

rf8x6vd0zzi21.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I prefer switching loadout in-game, but I'm a filthy casual. I don't need it to be realistic, I just find it more engaging when I can think about and use the best weapon I have for the job when situations change.
Yea that's totally respectable and most games offer instant switching. And for good reason, to be honest.

But I also understand why this game doesn't, and it's just a style choice. Personally I like it, but would like it a lot more if it didn't take 3-5 minutes to swap out weapons and do the loop of: Freeplay --> Tarsus --> change loadout --> Freeplay. The load times must change.

Streamerhouse got banned for farming in the most efficient way they knew how. Wow, looking for that reaction.
The Twitch channel? Can you tell us more about that? What were they doing? Bans don't get handed out for nothing, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
rf8x6vd0zzi21.png

Imagine if Bungie banned people who were using loot cave or the omnegul checkpoint. Fucking lol
yikes.

But I just went to his stream and he's playing it right now...?
They applied a new code. Apparently they didn't lose any progress? I don't really understand but they did get banned.

I want to know what they did.

edit:

"EagleEyeSm: no you werent abusing a checkpoint. you were disconnecting from the server and abusing their reconnect feature. "

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They kill a boss and restart at a checkpoint by dying or something. Loot cave of this game it seems. But you have to kill the boss.
I see.

I don't really understand, though. They have all of their gear? Did they start from scratch? It seems like they've lost no progress (based on their progress on goals in the menu system). Are saves done in the cloud or locally?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But I just went to his stream and he's playing it right now...?
I imagine its a different origin account or something
They kill a boss and restart at a checkpoint by dying or something. Loot cave of this game it seems. But you have to kill the boss.
I can't even begin to imagine the logic of banning people for loot exploits in a PVE only game. What the fuck is even the point? And even if that were logical (it isnt), you dont offer a warning before a permaban? Bioware has no idea what theyre doing in this genre.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I see.

I don't really understand, though. They have all of their gear? Did they start from scratch? It seems like they've lost no progress (based on their progress on goals in the menu system). Are saves done in the cloud or locally?
They are on another account or something.

Oh he mentioned activation key. Maybe they just took the game from them but their account and save stuff still works. The first one was the Legendary or EA Pass version, this one is apparently standard so it's a different activation license I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can't even begin to imagine the logic of banning people for loot exploits in a PVE only game. What the fuck is even the point? And even if that were logical (it isnt), you dont offer a warning before a permaban? Bioware has no idea what theyre doing in this genre.
I agree.

Checkpoint farming in a loot game is like white and rice.

They are on another account or something.

Oh he mentioned activation key. Maybe they just took the game from them but their account and save stuff still works.
what a strange system.

I would expect a ban to mean you lose your character and progress related to it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ban someone that accounts for 10% of your games twitch numbers, for farming loot like literally every other loot game community does. Way to have your shit together bioware.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Actually thinking about it, what loot game have I not farmed a boss without using a check point? Diablo 3? Check points. Path of Exile? Not boss but farm area check points.

Bioware, what are you doing cousin?

Ban someone that accounts for 10% of your games twitch numbers, for farming loot like literally every other loot game community does. Way to have your shit together bioware.

Exactly. Want to see them removing checkpoints. That will go over nicely.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Actually thinking about it, what loot game have I not farmed a boss without using a check point? Diablo 3? Check points. Path of Exile? Not boss but farm area check points.

Bioware, what are you doing cousin?
Actually I think I've only done true "checkpoint farming" once: in Destiny 2 in a part of Forsaken's expansion when it came out. There was a chest you could farm in perpetuity if the party leader hadn't finished a given quest before. It felt gross, actually.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
That's strange. Progress/character is based on your EA account. Not sure how he got around that and kept his progress.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
All this depressing anthem talk made me wanna go back and play mass effect, can't believe all the dlc for ME3 is still full price lol.

Oct 30, 2017
Yea that's totally respectable and most games offer instant switching. And for good reason, to be honest.

But I also understand why this game doesn't, and it's just a style choice. Personally I like it, but would like it a lot more if it didn't take 3-5 minutes to swap out weapons and do the loop of: Freeplay --> Tarsus --> change loadout --> Freeplay. The load times must change.

I doubt its style choice. Judging by the amount of loading screens and continual bugs around completing quests and going into cutscenes etc. I bet that it's a technical limitation just like everything else in this game.

I imagine its a different origin account or something

Banning is dumb for doing something within the confines of the game. Instead BW should just fix it so people can't do it.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like the Escalation Protocol exploit in D2, where you'd kill the boss at the last second of the timer, get loot and then reset as the game registers a failure. Existed for weeks, no one was banned, shortly after fixing it Bungie patched in an official way to reset the boss.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Some were defending the banning pretty hard on the reddit. If you agree with a ban surely the length of it was way too extreme. I guess they got their chilling effect. A feelgood moment!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
This is a bad look EA. Banning for abusing a loot farming chexploit in a purely PvE game? And reversing it like that makes it look even worse, either because it's special treatment to a streamer, a scare tactic or you falsely banned them in the first place. If the offence is bad enough for average Joe to be ***!!!!!***PERMANENTLY***!!!!!*** banned for then it's bad enough for slightly above average Joe with some Twitch followers to be banned for.

Though IMO this is not a bannable offence at all, even in Destiny which has PvP, Bungie knew it would be assinine and stupid to ban people farming the loot cave.

Oct 29, 2017
So the channel that made my favourite review of Anthem has made a video all about Inscriptions/Augments and why it's terrible. (As well as some other discussion.) Worth a watch. Actual length of the video is about 6 minutes, the rest is showing his various MW's and Legendaries and their rolls to illustrate the point.

People in the preview threads were lauding the game for its Diablo-style loot without realizing that unless you NAIL your itemization system, it can get wildly out of tune. The more controlled and streamlined Destiny loot model was right there for them to try and emulate.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can you ban someone for...playing the game you released? It's not cheating unless it harms other players.

This confirms what I've been saying: EA simply does not have the inclination to build the community loyalty required for this kind of game. They'll think vindictively, not listen to feedback, and will cut support as soon as an immediate cash cow seems out of reach.

If we make it to 2020 with Anthem support ongoing, I'll be surprised.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
My younger son was really enjoying Anthem - and got to the Tomb quest. Even with some of this done, he informed me he didn't think he'd play anymore and that freeplay is boring. Sigh. I thought for sure he's stick with it. It really does make a great first impression though.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
My younger son was really enjoying Anthem - and got to the Tomb quest. Even with some of this done, he informed me he didn't think he'd play anymore and that freeplay is boring. Sigh. I thought for sure he's stick with it. It really does make a great first impression though.
I can totally relate my daughter loves Destiny so I got her going on Anthem she put in about 4 hours and tells me, this isn't fun at all and I think I am done.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I preordered this on PC, haven't even booted it up yet. I figure the longer I wait the better chance i'll have if enjoying it

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Part of why, even with the fix, you need to think about the design of things like the Tomb quest.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, when they said Diablo-style loot, I guess they really meant it. Launch Diablo 3, that is.

Here is how loot worked on launch Diablo 3: Very few (read none) legendary drops before cap, making gearing and leveling uninteresting. Very few legendaries were actually worth anything or had interesting, build affecting affixes. Stormshield, some Natalya's pieces, a couple of belts and very few rings were useful due to high native stats. Anthem doesn't really have the benefit of set pieces, which Diablo 3 at least included. High variance in random stats while top rolls had underwhelming, samey effects. Straight up useless or bugged affixes that didn't provide any benefits (weapon elemental damage was bugged and it did nothing on any weapon it rolled on. You could roll main stats -dex, str, int- on class specific items that didn't benefit from those rolls -sounds familiar, doesn't it?). Whole weapon classes like two handed swords were completely useless to every single build beause they didn't provide a single unique stat that distinguished them from the rest. The only advantage swords had at some point was Attack Speed. Guess which was the first, only affix Blizzard nerfed before doing any single instance of balancing? LOL. The best ilvl items were behind Acts 3 and 4 on Inferno difficulty. Except, clearing that barrier required some of those items due to the difficulty curve. Beating bosses wouldn't actually yield any significantly better loot than random elite monsters either.

Blizzard actually made this worse by implementing a few changes, the 2 most notable ones were: they increased the penalties for dying/repairing damaged equipment and they added enrage timers that made long, hard fought battles impossible after certain point. They assumed this would discourage people from even trying that content, but the ilvl fence meant that there was an effective cap on the stats that drops could roll in acts 1 and 2, so it was a requirement to leap ahead to make any kind of gearing progress. Due to the lack of endgame specific content (because Blizzard in all their wisdom wanted to push people to run entire acts again instead of doing boss runs) the efficiency of running bosses or particular areas was largely diminished (the whole loot genre is basically time vs reward commitment. Bullet sponges only significantly delay people rushing to the best gear when the best gear can be acquired at a significant rate that doesn't make you feel you wasted your time) and because everyone was undergeared, the most efficient alternative became farming goblins: high hp enemies that dropped considerably more treasure and do no damage. Fun it was not.

People will take the path of least resistance every time if your balance is out of wack and the difficulty peaks and valleys are working against them. I mean, the Diablo team admited they only doubled the damage numbers they've been testing on Inferno because their userbase would find ways to outsmart them, but that lack of testing (plus the presence of the AH which became the single most efficient way to get gear) meant they never really understood the experience their playerbase would have. They patched a few things during the following months, but even adding paragon levels, removing the auction house and reworking a lot of loot affixes and legendaries to have more unique effects was just a band-aid. It took them a whole two years to get the game to a place where people were enjoying the treadmill and loot was actually decent across the board. And this is Blizzard, basically the kings of the genre at that point. (Path of Exile is the new king btw, where they actually learned lessons from Diablo 2 and innovated in other aspects like barter economy).

And here we are. Making the damn same mistakes Blizzard suffered through in 2012 and basically wrote the book on how to fix them in 2014. They did all the work for you already. How does this happen?

Last edited: