• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean to be fair, how many games have you played that have a known history of shutting down consoles and forcing repairs?

There are glitches and there are GLITCHES, knaamean? Some things should never happen. Especially when some of the worst ones are detected and reported by the community more than a month ago now.
I mean, sure.

But Cert still can't test for every possible scenario. It's the responsibility of the developer and publisher to do their own due diligence and fix issues brought to them by QA before they declare the game ready to deliver to Cert, because Cert will never do their job for them. From my experience, this crash would have DEFINITELY failed certification if it actually occurred during the certification process, but it apparently didn't.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
If it's hard crashing my console and forcing me to restore my saves, someone needs to do proper tests to avoid consumer backlash.

Generally, it's good to assume that QA flagged the bugs and issues, and the developer or publisher ultimately decided to ship that in state regardless. It's not really a QA/cert problem.

And given how many are willing to give a pass on the issues, it's probably the right call.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Also, I haven't seen enough reviews praise Sarah Schachner's amazing work in Anthem, I've been following her since I heard Infinite Warfares underrated OST.
Preach. AC Origins opened my eyes (ears? =P) to her, and I think she has an amazing future. I may have skipped buying Anthem for a while, but I've had the OST playing for hours already.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So it has promise if EA and BW keep updating and sorting out the issues. I expecting a grumpy and jaded review from GiantBomb but some of the areas I agree with but at least they end it with the idea what it could join D3, Destiny etc.

Almost every game has potential if developer/publisher continues working on it. But if you want to buy game now you will play it now not wait months to improve.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Frequently, it was the meter for my ultimate ability appearing to be ready to go even though the ability was actually unusable. Once, the game loaded me into a mission with one of my two guns unequipped (note that the game doesn't actually let you unequip a gun manually). And twice on PS4, the game crashed so hard that it literally powered down my console, forcing me to repair all my storage devices before I could boot it back up. A game making you worry about damaging your hardware is just inexcusable. I don't remember seeing this many big and small technical issues in a major release since, well, Mass Effect: Andromeda. How that reflects on BioWare's recent track record doesn't really need to be said.

Yup. Hopefully stability gets better soon. As others have said, it's really cool to know they are able to make quick adjustments to various loot mechanics. It means the backend for making tweaks is solid and easy to update. But these bugs are simply unacceptable. No if's and's or but's.

Dear god.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it has promise if EA and BW keep updating and sorting out the issues. I expecting a grumpy and jaded review from GiantBomb but some of the areas I agree with but at least they end it with the idea what it could join D3, Destiny etc.

Same is true of Fallout 76. Doesn't mean reviewers shouldn't review the game as it is

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Agreed. It seems BW actually want to improve Anthem. Not so much for Fallout. That is dead dead.
Ironically I think 76 will be the easier to fix of the two. That game has mostly server and content issues, while Anthem will always be plagued with loading screens, flight ceilings, and (short of a complete redesign) UI issues.

If 76 fixes the bugs and server lag, and adds proper story content this year, I'm in. Until Anthem has a proper open world (including Tarsis) and solo play design, I'm not jumping in no matter how much content they add.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sometimes when hearing about Anthem I think to myself "I could go for some loot shooting in a heavy mech suit" but soon after that thought gets buried in listings of countless problems that just extinguish that idea. And that's before I remember that it's pretty much mandatory multiplayer.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't unexpected given the history of EA acquired devs but it still bums me out what became of Bioware since EA bought them.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Ironically I think 76 will be the easier to fix of the two. That game has mostly server and content issues, while Anthem will always be plagued with loading screens, flight ceilings, and (short of a complete redesign) UI issues.

How would you fix the terrible visual design, animations and lack of NPCs in Fallout 76?

On the other hand, Anthem is a fun game that looks and feels great, but has loading screens and loot/content issues. When loot and content issues get fixed, it will be a good feeling, great looking game that has a bit more loading screens that people would like.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Giant Bomb's review is even harsher when you consider Brad's frequent defense of Destiny (apologia in which I participate, too). This should be his kind of game, and it's not.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Cert isn't thousands of playthroughs of a game, it's a few from a small team of people looking for specific things and if those things don't happen then there's not much they can do.

You'd think on a (arguably) closed system with identical hardware, this would be easily reproducible.

I''d love to see some stats on this, in a static environment you'd expect 10 identical systems with the same hardware and software level to have the same issues.
It's never that simple of course. How many people here DON'T have issues with a PS4 or Xbox that others do? :/

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

The discussion in the video behind this review does a good job of justifying this, but honestly, the two-star results is being cheritable considering the game's tendency to literally power down PS4 systems for some.

"Also, the game is buggy. Really buggy. Aside from standard server disconnects and crashes, I found basic game functionality would break on a regular basis. Sometimes it was the interact prompt that let me open doors and revive other players that stopped working. Frequently, it was the meter for my ultimate ability appearing to be ready to go even though the ability was actually unusable. Once, the game loaded me into a mission with one of my two guns unequipped (note that the game doesn't actually let you unequip a gun manually). And twice on PS4, the game crashed so hard that it literally powered down my console, forcing me to repair all my storage devices before I could boot it back up. A game making you worry about damaging your hardware is just inexcusable. I don't remember seeing this many big and small technical issues in a major release since, well, Mass Effect: Andromeda. How that reflects on BioWare's recent track record doesn't really need to be said."

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Video is what got me to finally play through Andromeda and I actually really enjoyed it. It has faults to be sure and weakest ME but the environments visuals and action were really good. Way better than anthem IMHO

I'm giving Andromeda another shot after giving up 10 hours in the first time around. I really like the combat and there's a lot to play with when it comes to the skill trees. But. The dialogue is generally pretty bad, the voice acting is atrocious at times, the story makes little sense so far and it just feels too safe when you think where they could have gone with a whole new galaxy. The same with a lack of playable aliens or even meaningful new aliens in general. I like the exploration but there's a lot of busy work as well. The visuals and animations are very uneven, sometimes fantastic, and then sometimes even worse than Mass Effect 3, like with the character models.

It feels very misguided and unfinished so far, like the team wanted to be doing something else than ME, while having to follow rote AAA gaming trends, while not being given enough time and resources to tackle it all.

I thought that ME 3 was a slight downgrade to the series, but Andromeda falls into a whole new level by itself i think.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's also worth noting for the context of the GB review that Brad played the PS4 version after he had spent time with the PC version. The hard crash to total console shutdown could have been introduced in the Day -2 patch, for all we know.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm giving Andromeda another shot after giving up 10 hours in the first time around. I really like the combat and there's a lot to play with when it comes to the skill trees. But. The dialogue is generally pretty bad, the voice acting is atrocious at times, the story makes little sense so far and it just feels too safe when you think where they could have gone with a whole new galaxy. The same with a lack of playable aliens or even meaningful new aliens in general. I like the exploration but there's a lot of busy work as well. The visuals and animations are very uneven, sometimes fantastic, and then sometimes even worse than Mass Effect 3, like with the character models.

It feels very misguided and unfinished so far, like the team wanted to be doing something else than ME, while having to follow rote AAA gaming trends, while not being given enough time and resources to tackle it all.

I thought that ME 3 was a slight downgrade to the series, but Andromeda falls into a whole new level by itself i think.

I prefer Anthem over Andromeda. That game was such a bore i didn't bother finishing it and traded it in. Obviously Anthem has a ton of issues and i agree with almost everything Angry Joe said in his review, but its way more fun. Once they fix the issues, the game will be worth a revisit for the people that choose to do so. I just hope the content they release in the next 6 months is worthwhile, or its just going to drag this game down more. This game is capable of so much, hopefully BioWare is capable of making that a reality.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's also worth noting for the context of the GB review that Brad played the PS4 version after he had spent time with the PC version. The hard crash to total console shutdown could have been introduced in the Day -2 patch, for all we know.
"Review games after day 1 patch but before day 2 patch". Not saying thats what you were suggesting but its just funny how complicated it was to find a period to review this game-even when its clear it never mattered at what point anyone reviewed it at, results were always going to be the same.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"Review games after day 1 patch but before day 2 patch". Not saying thats what you were suggesting but its just funny how complicated it was to find a period to review this game-even when its clear it never mattered at what point anyone reviewed it at, results were always going to be the same.
What? No. It was a comment on "Why Cert no find crash?"

It's entirely possible that the crash wasn't present in the build presented to Sony for PS4 certification.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? No. It was a comment on "Why Cert no find crash?"

It's entirely possible that the crash wasn't present in the build presented to Sony for PS4 certification.
I know I'm just saying its funny that depending on when you play this game your experiences with its bugs could be completely different. Which is why I said I know you werent actually saying that, its just funny that everyone's experience with the technical problems can differ so wildly depending on what patch version youre on.

And it should be closer to D2. This is 2019, it's just absurd.
Destiny 2 was hugely problematic. It is leaps and bounds better than anthem. Destiny 2's problems were its end game, which is why most reviews were glowing since they didn't really appear until 30-40 hours in. Anthem's problems are evident when you boot up the game-in addition to end game. Unless I'm misunderstanding the conversation here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm just saying its funny that depending on when you play this game your experiences with its bugs could be completely different. Which is why I said I know you werent actually saying that, its just funny that everyone's experience with the technical problems can differ so wildly depending on what patch version youre on.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it is really weird like that. Especially with how patches are actually making some things worse for some players. It's just bizarre all around.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb's review is even harsher when you consider Brad's frequent defense of Destiny (apologia in which I participate, too). This should be his kind of game, and it's not.
Not super surprising. The main thing Brad (and plenty other people) always mentions when talking about Destiny is how fun the shooting is. Anthem doesn't really compare on that aspect.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Sometimes when hearing about Anthem I think to myself "I could go for some loot shooting in a heavy mech suit" but soon after that thought gets buried in listings of countless problems that just extinguish that idea. And that's before I remember that it's pretty much mandatory multiplayer.

This is exactly what i've been thinking lately. So i got my ps3 and started playing couch co-op borderlands with my kids. When everything gets fixed I'll definetly give it a shot. But not gonna pay money for what eventually may be a good game

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Not super surprising. The main thing Brad (and plenty other people) always mentions when talking about Destiny is how fun the shooting is. Anthem doesn't really compare on that aspect.

When he described the shooting in Anthem as "mushy," I knew exactly what he meant, and without much of any payoff for people who normally like persuing novel weapons, the game doesn't have much going for it in the actual combat.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
When he described the shooting in Anthem as "mushy," I knew exactly what he meant, and without much of any payoff for people who normally like persuing novel weapons, the game doesn't have much going for it in the actual combat.
I actually really like the combat. It's what keeps me playing at the moment. It's just the shooting aspect isn't anywhere close to Destiny.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
i've only started to enjoy the shooting in anthem after I got a few mw weapons with the hovering bonus. Taking out frozen turrets on gm1 with a few sniper shots feels good.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
How would you fix the terrible visual design, animations and lack of NPCs in Fallout 76?

On the other hand, Anthem is a fun game that looks and feels great, but has loading screens and loot/content issues. When loot and content issues get fixed, it will be a good feeling, great looking game that has a bit more loading screens that people would like.
Visually 76 will always be janky. Bethesda games always have been, but have still been loved despite that. NPCs are an easy fix with content, since the engine obviously supports them right out of the box. It's literally just a content issue, and server stability.

Anthem on the other hand will always have a game world that can't stream load, necessitating flight ceilings and corridor level design that you can't fly out of. It will always separate Tarsis from the real game with a loading screen. It will have to separate any new environments with loading screens, again thanks to the engine. So while 76's issues are down to the content and server stability, Anthem's issues are hardcoded and will require a FFXIV Realm Reborn sized overhaul to fix.

And with next gen consoles so close that Microsoft will literally be showcasing them in 3 months... I don't know why anyone would commit to this game for the long haul. Next gen ports might help the framerate, but I can't see a PS5 looter shooter with level design and loading screens like this competing with any launch window competition. Even by current gen standards the game design feels dated when Assassin's Creed let's you fly across all of Ancient Greece or lower Egypt without loading screens or flight ceilings.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Depends what you are after. The combat in Anthem uses skills much more fluid and interesting than Destiny. Destiny is an excellent shooter but Anthems combat is a different kind of fun.
The main problem with Anthems combat is the enemy ai. Other than that it's very good. And while the shooting isn't as good as Destiny the guns still have a nice weight to them.