• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...he_level_1_defender_rifle_is_the_best_weapon/

Continues to impress

(EDIT: It's this way for all weapons and all abilities as well)

-With my Level 1 common Defender rifle, one bullet does 286 damage against a normal scar trooper.

-With my Level 45 masterwork Ralner's Blaze rifle, one bullet does 1184 damage against a normal scar trooper.

Given these numbers, you might (reasonably) assume that the MW weapon will kill enemies faster, since it does more damage.

This is NOT the case!

Going back to the scar troopers, the MW rifle takes 6 bullets to kill our scar friend. Given the damage numbers, our level 1 rifle should take around 5x more bullets to do the job. Guess how many it actually takes?

That's right. 4 bullets!!! Not 4x as many. Literally 4 rounds. Our level 1 rifle is somehow more effective than our level 45 masterwork, despite what our damage pop-ups are telling us.

I have tested this with various weapons and enemies, and while the numbers vary, the results are always the same: the level 1 defender rifle is by far the most effective weapon in my inventory. It melts literally fucking everything!

So, from this we can draw two conclusions:

1 - There is some buggy fuckery going on with the default level 1 rifle

2 - Damage numbers are meaningless and do not reflect the actual damage done to a target

https://gfycat.com/complexajararabianoryx

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
basically, in order to allow level 1 players to play with level 30 on normal or hard, it looks like enemies are scaling to the gun or gear level thats used to them, unlike in other games where the difficulty is just the difficulty. your pilot level just doesnt matter.

of course, why end game difficulties do this is beyond me. it means that picking up and equipping better items is actually a detriment to the DPS you can do.

thats right, in a loot game, getting loot is useless

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
This game...
DizzyHalfDartfrog-small.gif

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Then what's the use of grinding for better weapons? Does this apply to abilities too :/?

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So its a scaling issue with starter gear it will either "destroy the game" or be fixed in a patch. I go with fixed in a patch.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'll go with Option 1 -- a bug
Apparently it's also been happening with class abilities too and was noted long ago but ignored on Reddit.

edit:

For those who didn't catch it in the shuffle. This also appears to apply to level 1 abilities as well. Another redditor discovered it 9 days ago but it was mistaken for Storm class just being OP. https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/aunjid/a_javelin_balance_rant_ranger_up/

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
That's similar to what people didn't like about WoW Battle for Azeroth's scaling system. You feel less powerful as you get better gear even though the numbers go up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot to mention it works for abilities as well.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie: Remember our bullshit with leveling up past 20 being throttled? No one will top that stupidity!

Bioware: Hold my beer...

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
This is why I hate damage numbers in shooters. You end up overthinking it and then you realise that the whole game boils down to numbers and not skill.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not a bug. ALL level 1 weapons and abilities deal far more damage than the max level ones.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If that isn't just a bug with the weapon and is actually the game being outright not accurate regarding damage numbers, then holy fuck.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I'll go with Option 1 -- a bug
Seems like a bug with scaling.
But this brings up the question:
Do enemies scale with your gear/ level? Are you actually becoming more powerful by obtaining better gear or is it just an illusion? As you grow in strength, so do your opponents.
Obviously something is working with percentages and those numbers are being greatly thrown off by some balancing miscalculation.

Example: total gear level is used to calculate enemy health and other stats (even worse is if only the weapon lvl is used to calculate enemy stats)
You equip all high level gear except your lvl 1 gun.
all your gear boosts your base dmg but your lvl 1 gun brings the enemy health and stats down to a level that allows you to kill it faster.
dmg numbers are displayed correctly but the enemy has less health so dies faster.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reading the reddit thread, it seems this was probably (at least to an extent) an intentional design decision to create a sort of level-scaling, but the result is that there's no reason to bother getting new gear? whew

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Monsters are scaled by your gear level not just pilot level, it says so in the tutorials screen (which is a terribly stupid idea). Gear level scaling fuckery going on