• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
After recently being named the next Captain America, Anthony Mackielooks to have found his next juicy role to sink his teeth into. Sources tell Deadline, Mackie is set to star in and executive produce Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions' Twisted Metal, a live-action adaptation of the popular video game. Mackie will star in the lead role of John Doe in the half-hour live-action TV series and insiders say Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions are extremely high on the package and a plan is in the works to take it to buyers soon.

"We're thrilled to have Anthony Mackie on board. His ability to blend comedy, action and drama is perfect for the Twisted world we're creating," said Asad Qizilbash, Head of PlayStation Productions.

deadline.com

Anthony Mackie To Star As John Doe In Live-Action ‘Twisted Metal’ Series From Sony TV And PlayStation Productions

Anthony Mackie is set to star in and executive produce Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions’ series Twisted Metal.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The game is real then lol

Never expected to play a new Twisted Metal in the year 202X

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The plot

Twisted Metal is a high-octane action comedy, based on an original take by Deadpool scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick about a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he'll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
We knew the show was real but this is a good indication the game project is real too.

I just hope its not like TM2012 and more like TM Black.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Sounds like the cancelled TM Apocalypse game which was originally billed as a multimedia starter a decade ago iirc. the script mustve stuck around

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Hmm I wonder if the game will then incorporate the ideas of Twisted Metal Harbor.

One giant map with areas for the player to move to freely. I can see a giant wasteland where you need to visit certain areas and survive the matches there to continue along the story. It could work for its single player. (No on foot segments though, just traveling via your car from place to place)

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Premise sounds potentially terrible, Mackie doesn't excite me, hyped for a new PS5 game though

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the plot sounds more interesting for a show than the tournament thing from the original games. Seems like they really are going to push for a game to coincide with it. I still have no idea what a Twisted Metal/car combat game looks like in 2021 (or 2023 or whenever it comes out)

Oct 25, 2017
This is how Sony's TV productions works for most part I think, they make the show and then sell to whoever pays more.

I think they attempted their own platform for original programming through PlayStation Network with the show Powers. I don't recall that being a successful venture so that's probably why it's shopped around now, like any other Sony TV production.

Makes sense, just wasn't sure if these fell under those Netflix / Disney+ deals that Sony made recently.

I'm sure Mackie made a crap ton of money, will be a lot easier to sell the show with him attached.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about that. Sure, there was some humor in the games but I wouldn't call them comedy. Hopefully this turns out to be good. I really want to see another game.
I think it really depends on which games you're talking about, all of them had an undercurrent of camp but it was really Black and the reboot that hard left turned it into more of a relentless grim tone, even if there were some punctuations of black comedy here and there. Black is still probably the most interesting game because of the narratives for each character but it is in many ways almost comical how over-the-top dark each story is.

It's a weird series as far as tone goes in general, it's part of the reason I've never particularly taken to it. I contrast that with vigilante 8, which leaned heavily into its campy tone and aesthetic consistently, possibly too much in the second game depending on your tastes, but felt a lot more cohesive to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly probably closer to Death Race with a clown
Fair enough, it's not that that concept can't work, it would've been interesting to have it be a tournament still to me because you could have it unfold over multiple episodes with each one serving as and elimination round and simultaneously tell a little character vignette each time. I feel like that would be a little more creative than a cat and mouse chase across an apocalyptic world.

Side plug but the death race remake movie was actually pretty dope and was probably Paul WS Anderson's best movie.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
So these Playstation TV shows don't have a specific home but are just getting shopped around to streaming services

Pretty much. The Boys on Amazon, For All Mankind on AppleTV, Cobra Kai on Netflix currently; Community, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Hannibal on the networks historically. They never had any major cable channel presence, where most/all(?) of the large networks now have a streaming service - always shopped around their shows, and now movies with the Netflix + Disney+ deal for post-theatrical releases.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, it's not that that concept can't work, it would've been interesting to have it be a tournament still to me because you could have it unfold over multiple episodes with each one serving as and elimination round and simultaneously tell a little character vignette each time. I feel like that would be a little more creative than a cat and mouse chase across an apocalyptic world.

Side plug but the death race remake movie was actually pretty dope and was probably Paul WS Anderson's best movie.
True. iirc the way it's structured in the game is that all the drivers start in LA and then Calypso says "go." Where they end up after it's all said and done is entirely on them.
Not sure how I feel about that. Sure, there was some humor in the games but I wouldn't call them comedy. Hopefully this turns out to be good. I really want to see another game.
If it's based on Black that probably won't work. I can see it working in any of the other games though because they all have their dark humor, like Calypso getting carried away by souls in 2 only to escape by literally hanging onto the wing of an airplane in mid-air

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Give me Twister you cowards! Driving an indy car that could create tornadoes was the coolest shit.