WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A crowd of angry Torontonians confronted a man who held up an anti-Islam sign at the site of the Danforth Avenue shooting, with one of them eventually throwing the man into a fountain.

Video of the Friday afternoon incident shows the man standing in front of the fountain at Alexander the Great Parkette, which has turned into a memorial for victims of Sunday's shooting, and engaging in a shouting match with people over his sign.

The sign read "C.B.C. presents" on top, followed by two lines below, "Little Mosque on the praire [sic]" and below that, "Two dead girls in Greek Town."

"Little Mosque on the Prairie" was a CBC sitcom about the lives of small-town Muslim Canadians, while Greektown is the neighbourhood in which police say 29-year-old Faisal Hussain opened fire, killing two and injuring 13.

At one point early in the video, a man stepped up to the protester and yelled, "Not all Muslims are bad," to which the protester retorted, "I don't know about Muslims, I talked about Islam!"

https://globalnews.ca/news/4357966/danforth-shooting-toronto-anti-islam-protester-fountain/

Oct 27, 2017
The guy knew what he was doing to protest at that particular location.

I mean he is free to protest but at this location? No sympathy for him.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"Not all Muslims are bad people!"
"I don't know about Muslims, I'm talking about Islam!"

084.png

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This is the kind of man that makes me swear like I did in my childhood in 1150 Wien.
Landing in the fountain is perfect IMO, not as violent as a punch, and much more pathetic.

Using violence against protestors is not a good thing.
I absolutely agree, and yet, I find it hard to feel bad for this concerned citizen. Probably because I think he deserves bad things and it already happened.
It actually bugs me, because I know it's hypocritical.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I blame the overeager man in green that attempted to make a generically obvious point about discrimination with a nutter!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. Violence against protesters is not a good thing.
State-sanctioned violence? No.

Gun violence? No.

Physical violence that only ends in someone getting thrown in a shallow pool of water? I've seen worse shit at drunk furry parties.

I'm not about to get up in arms over this.

If it happened to a progressive protester I wouldn't be mad either.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Its a memorial for a tragedy that happened less than a week ago. I don't care about what happens to anyone that brings their bigotry to a place where people are mourning.
I feel like these people are trying to bait others into doing this. So when someone does attack them it becomes a rallying point for their side.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what? What they are protesting? Just because someone is protesting against something you support or agreed with does not mean you should use violence towards them.

It 100% depends, people that protest in favor of hate must be silenced, violently if need be. In the US people are too sensitive about justifying hate. Every other place I've lived its accepted that you can speak out until you start being a dick and then people will make suee youre shut up.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these people are trying to bait others into doing this. So when someone does attack them it becomes a rallying point for their side.
Everything is a rallying point for the right because they don't actually care about consistent ethical and philosophical standards. They care about destroying the left, thus anything we do is anathema to them.

Stop considering their rulebook as valid.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Do people chant "shame" at all of these because of Game of Thrones? If so, that's a little cringetastic. Also that racist guy is just as dumb as your average Trump lover. Shock. I don't agree with the violence though.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It 100% depends, people that protest in favor of hate must be silenced, violently if need be. In the US people are too sensitive about justifying hate. Every other place I've lived its accepted that you can speak out until you start being a dick and then people will make suee youre shut up.

I do not support violence against protesters, even if I inherently furiously disagree with them. I can't, even if I try.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Depends on what? What they are protesting? Just because someone is protesting against something you support or agreed with does not mean you should use violence towards them.
I'm not going to judge someone doing what happened here, or, for example, someone punching a Westboro Baptist Church person in the face.
I'll be too busy trying not to throw a punch myself.

I do not support violence against protesters, even if I inherently furiously disagree with them. I can't, even if I try.
You don't have to cheer for the people throwing him into the water.
But you also don't have to condemn their very understandable actions.
Just like when that drunk American tourist got beaten on Germany for doing the nazi salute.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Guy with a "I hate black people" sign gets wedgied and "Kick Me" taped to his back*

"What has this country become....everyday we slowly turn into the true monsters..."

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Proud of the people in this city. Racism has no place here.

Lmfao @ ppl preaching civility with literal bigots. FOH with that shit.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, we live in a time where actual nazi's rally together, so maybe a little bruised nuckle here and there might solve that situation

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thats ok for you. Just know that people like you are the ones that in other times would see the KKK walk through your cities and defend their right to speech. Even if the day after the march a bunch of minorities get mysteriously killed, still defend their "right" to express themselves.

He was attacking muslims in Toronto. No sympathy

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we live in a time where actual nazi's rally together, so maybe a little bruised nuckle here and there might solve that situation

You can do it, I can't even if I want to.

THE POOR MAN GOT WET!!! THE VIOLENCE MY GOD!!!

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT?????

I don't care if the person got wet. In the end they used violence to get the person wet.

Thats ok for you. Just know that people like you are the ones that in other times would see the KKK walk through your cities and defend their right to speech. Even if the day after the march a bunch of minorities get mysteriously killed, still defend their "right" to express themselves.

Im sorry Im not a violent person. Some things I will have big problems to do, even if it is simply to throw an anti-islam protester into a fountain.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
That's alright. They were already racist. People "attacking" them didn't suddenly make them more racist. A rallying call only works if you were already trash.

So you and your fellow "think of the racist" are already wrong.

This makes his message more powerful.
It doesn't. If this rally anyone, they were already racist in the first place. Decent human beings don't do stuff like this, the fact that it might rally other racist isn't true.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada

If he was attacking then I support self defence in that case.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In the US people are too sensitive about justifying hate.
Because there's a lot more shitty people in the US than we like admitting, people whose bigotry has been allowed to remain seriously uncontested for centuries despite that same bigotry leading to worse life outcomes for minorities without fail. Many of these people are beloved family members, and it won't take much of a leap for a stranger to consider someone's "lovely grandma" in the same vain as any other viral racist, and no one wants for minorities and their allies to come for their asses next (but god forbid we make Thanksgiving dinner awkward.)

At least, that's just my hunch.