• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
"The normalisation of antisemitism is also evidenced by the wide range of perpetrators, which spans the entire social and political spectrum. The most frequently mentioned categories of perpetrators of the most serious incident of antisemitic harassment experienced by respondents include someone they did not know (31 %); someone with an extremist Muslim view (30 %); someone with a left-wing political view (21 %); a colleague from work or school/college (16 %); an acquaintance or friend (15 %); and someone with a right-wing political view (13 %)."

"Among the other results, the survey found that nearly half (44%) of Jews in Germany and France have considered emigrating because they do not feel safe."

http://fra.europa.eu/en/publication...g--fvG9-gxXPIJEKT3tM3LMMegwICtsr0Y7Nv2UyBbhgw

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46439194

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...record-for-antisemitism-in-europe-says-report

Sorry if there was thread or if this doesn't deserve it's own.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Before I came to the US I didn't think I knew any jewish people. I since found out only one old friend of mine is. I don't understand how there could be any hate towards them and their place in European culture today.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Before I came to the US I didn't think I knew any jewish people. I since found out only one old friend of mine is. I don't understand how there could be any hate towards them and their place in European culture today.

A lot of hate isn't explicit. It hides just beneath the surface, and is really only noticeable by the people it's directed at.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can "understand" (I guess) the reasoning for the hate towards Jewish people from the Right-wing and Extremist Muslim people, but what do Left-wing people hate Jews for? Is it all Israel-based?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised.

My old grade school teachers post shit like "The (Turkish) government is selling land and oil to The Jews!!!!/Israelis!!!!" and I've even heard my dad imply he thinks the "jews run the world" bullshit is true on some level.

I've seen it very rarely but it's there...

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Of all the hate directed at groups of people / race, I've understood the reasoning behind the stuff aimed at Jewish people the least.

And I use 'understood' in a weird way. Say, the colour of skin. Sure, I understand that. It's really goddamn stupid, but I can see why someone might latch onto it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Must be the result of the economic downturn caused by all those Israeli refugees coming into Eur...hahahaha no I can't even get that far with a straight face -- obviously it's a longstanding set of grievances based on nothing but the whole point of this level (and, to be precise, scale) of animus is that it's based on nothing.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can "understand" (I guess) the reasoning for the hate towards Jewish people from the Right-wing and Extremist Muslim people, but what do Left-wing people hate Jews for? Is it all Israel-based?
That and the bankers/lobby/globalist bullshit some crazies eat up.
Still, these figures surprise me in that I'd have expected much worse from the right than the left.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

That's a big reason. It's easy to "other" a people that you don't know. People just spread conspiracy shit and it takes a life of it's own. Israel doesn't help matters either. I don't think the alt-right gives a shit about Israel, but the extreme left and extremist Muslims fuel the hatred.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Disturbing to say the least.
Did Europe learn nothing post WWII?

Facism is rising in Europe once again and antisemitism too?

Never understood the hatred so many people seem to harbor for the Jewish people.
Why?

And why now?

I feel like maybe Schindler's List should be mandatory viewing in Europe right now...

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That and the bankers/lobby/globalist bullshit some crazies eat up.
Still, these figures surprise me in that I'd have expected much worse from the right than the left.

I suppose the "31%" of people "they don't know" could really skew the overall look if we knew more about them. Could be closet Right-wing people? The "16%" listed as a colleague from work or school.. that's weird, because they could also be right/left (or Extreme Muslim for that matter).. so it's weird to list it like that.

I guess the main thing it puts across is that people seem to dislike Jews universally, which is a really sad thing to be 'united' about.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
It's easy to scapegoat those with such a small population. That's all it comes down to really.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I mean this is the reason why I support a two state solution not some kind of combined state. No one can be trusted with not fucking with jews but other jews.

I mean for fucks sake, They have been getting fucked for over 2000 years now can we just give them a fucking break?

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day) - not reading the OP and posting an inflammatory drive-by in a sensitive topic
If you're vehemently against settlement expansions, are you labeled an anti-semite. In whatever study produced these numbers, I mean.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going through history it seems this always been a problem in Europe but like the U.S, people like to pretend they dont got these problems

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I mean this is the reason why I support a two state solution not some kind of combined state. No one can be trusted with not fucking with jews but other jews.

I mean for fucks sake, They have been getting fucked for over 2000 years now can we just give them a fucking break?
Much longer than that. The Romans weren't just throwing Christians to the lions...

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Hating the other is as old as the human race.

If people want this issue to get better they better start being a lot less tolerant against the perpetrators of spreading these views.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised.

My old grade school teachers post shit like "The (Turkish) government is selling land and oil to The Jews!!!!/Israelis!!!!" and I've even heard my dad imply he thinks the "jews run the world" bullshit is true on some level.

I've seen it very rarely but it's there...

Whenever someone in Turkey talk shit about Jews, remind them about Mois Kohen. He was the guy who "wrote the book about Turkishness". And he was Ataturk's one of most trusted aides and his best friend. People need to realize Turkey owe to Jewish folk more than any country in the world.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
If you're vehemently against settlement expansions, are you labeled an anti-semite. In whatever study produced these numbers, I mean.

No, but if you protest Israel by harassing and threatening to kill "the Jews" you are. This is much more common than people realize.

For example:
The Labour row has had repercussions for Jewish students too, says the head of the Union of Jewish students, Hannah Rose.

"There have been two main effects," she told the BBC. "One is normalisation of anti-Semitic rhetoric on the left - and it's become less challenged when it does occur; secondly, non-Jewish students believe they know anti-Semitism more than Jews themselves.

"People don't want to seem to educate themselves on how you can criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic."

She left the Labour party in September.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever someone in Turkey talk shit about Jews, remind them about Mois Kohen. He was the guy who "wrote the book about Turkishness". And he was Ataturk's one of most trusted aides and his best friend. People need to realize Turkey owe to Jewish folk more than any country in the world.
Thanks. I don't think I knew about that.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The study carries with it a lot of represetative subjective elements - i.e. what the respondents viewed as a percentages (this is asking self-identifying Jews about their experiences). It did not mention that specifically because it probably would not be considered anti-semitic by the study and because it was not one of the main categories the views of the subjects were really lumped into. One of the categories distilled out regarding remarks felt and heard by the respodents that they considered anti-semitic was: "Israelis behave like Nazis toward palestinians". This had a pretty high amount of respondents saying they heard this and I guess viewed it as anti-semitic.

Not sure if that some what answers your question.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Worst part is if you have a problem with someone being blatantly antisemitic, you're told that they're only criticizing Israel so the cancer still festers.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is completely unsurprising, especially given the issues with Corbyn/Labour that have kept coming up.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Peeps should really go through the BBC article to get an accessible reading of the study.

Nov 20, 2017
Racists are emboldened to go after Jews from both angles at the moment, it's disgraceful.

Corbyn in particular is a huge, huge problem. He's normalising antisemitism for a new generation.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe you could read one of the articles posted in the OP and come to your own conclusion rather than make a drive-by post (intentionally or not) downplaying antisemitism.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but if you protest Israel by harassing and threatening to kill "the Jews" you are. This is much more common than people realize.

For example:

secondly, non-Jewish students believe they know anti-Semitism more than Jews themselves.

god this shit specifically needs to stop. seen it here numerous times. I wish people were more willing to accept ignorance and just listen when minority groups share their experiences.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That's a big reason. It's easy to "other" a people that you don't know. People just spread conspiracy shit and it takes a life of it's own. Israel doesn't help matters either. I don't think the alt-right gives a shit about Israel, but the extreme left and extremist Muslims fuel the hatred.
It's easy to other people you do know too. I'm sort of Jewish, in the sense that I was adopted by a Jewish mother, but we were never really practicing Jews outside of Passover Seder and Hanukkah; I was never bar mitzvahed, and I don't look ethnically Jewish. But my wife is Jewish, and our daughter is Jewish. Anyway, I only mention that because we had a dinner at our house on the same night that a terrorist shot up the synagogue in Pittsburgh, and a good friend of mine, who I've known for over 25 years, decided that it was a good time to bring up the "fact" that there's a secret cabal of Jews who control the world. In his defense, he didn't even know this attack had occurred and he wasn't defending violence, but to even bring anti-Semitic rhetoric like that into the house of a Jewish family that you've known for a long time boggles the mind. People are always looking for a conspiracy because it offers a simple (but often more exciting) explanation for why things may not be perfect for them.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Its not the only datapoint, but its the one easiest to follow because its in English.
I mean it's the easiest to follow from an english speaking PoV but take a country like France, it's probably one of the easiest to find examples literally EVERYWHERE from hate related crimes reported to mainstream people delving into dog whistles with passing Leftist's constant obessession with bankers.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's a very recent poll:
PF.10.29.18_east.west_-00-01-.png

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I mean it's the easiest to follow from an english speaking PoV but take a country like France, it's probably one of the easiest to find examples literally EVERYWHERE from hate related crimes reported to mainstream people delving into dog whistles with passing Leftist's constant obessession with bankers.

It's pretty clear the rise of the right is the reason for the increase in Jewish hate crimes across the whole of the West. Though obviously the UK currently has zero issues with a rising vocal far right movement and it's all due to one politician calling people who want a Israeli ethnostate Zionists at one point.

The reason the Corbyn quote frustrates me is because there are very blatant, very real issues with antisemitism in the Labour party. From them launching an investigation into it and refusing to meet all the guidelines that can from it to Corbyn defending the utterly antisemitic Peter Willsman. However, weirdly enough the neo-liberal press continually bring up the Zionist quote.

At the same time I've seen little evidence Labour's issues have led to an increase in hate crime here, where as Brexit and the rise of the right (including great replacement bullshit) very clearly has. I'd love to see some stats that prove me wrong.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's pretty clear the rise of the right is the reason for the increase in Jewish hate crimes across the whole of the West.
Far right, putting that on the shoulder of the more mainstream center right is kinda like calling anything left of center communists.

Though obviously the UK currently has zero issues with a rising vocal far right movement and it's all due to one politician calling people who want a Israeli ethnostate Zionists at one point.

The reason the Corbyn quote frustrates me is because there are very blatant, very real issues with antisemitism in the Labour party. From them launching an investigation into it and refusing to meet all the guidelines that can from it to Corbyn defending the utterly antisemitic Peter Willsman. However, weirdly enough the neo-liberal press continually bring up the Zionist quote.

At the same time I've seen little evidence Labour's issues have led to an increase in hate crime here, where as Brexit and the rise of the right (including great replacement bullshit) very clearly has. I'd love to see some stats that prove me wrong.
Maybe you don't see a correlation between antisemitism and Labour's issues because it's kinda overshadowed by the elephant that is Brexit.
Again great replacement BS is something the world owe French antisemitic assholes.
Pure opportunism made that BS stick while others like outright negationism is far less popular.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
A lot of hate isn't explicit. It hides just beneath the surface, and is really only noticeable by the people it's directed at.
I'm not saying it's not there, I'm saying there's zero reasons for it to be there in the first place.
In my case, my friend was "too integrated" for me to even notice their jewish origin. And that was back in italy.
That's why it's so hard for me to understand people's hatred.

In NY, next to my place, anti-semitic graffiti started popping up.
My so (jewish) was screamed at by some asshole on the subway saying "Hitler was right".
How are Jewish people seen as "others" when they are so integrated? They've never been a political talking point since the nazis, and NOW people are mad at them again for some reason?

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I'm not saying it's not there, I'm saying there's zero reasons for it to be there in the first place.

In my case, my friend was "too integrated" for me to even notice their jewish origin. And that was back in italy.

My so (jewish) was screamed at by some asshole on the subway saying "Hitler was right".
How are Jewish people seen as "others" when they are so integrated? They've never been a political talking point since the nazis, and NOW people are mad at them again for some reason?

Hate isn't rational. It reflects well on you that you can't understand it.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I lived in NYC for most of the 90s and never saw any anti-semitic stuff. It definitely has changed.

Dec 2, 2017
That antisemitism from left people is so high up there does not surprise me. I still consider myself left and I am still politically active but I've disengaged with people I used to work with because of their thin-veiled antisemitism. It usually goes hand in hand with "but Israel!" when I have nothing to do with Israel and people know my opinion on it.