• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Yes, among many other jewish satire. I'm just wondering if this will have any darker intent with regards to a jewish conspiratorial bent, depending on who's backing it. I'm typically not that guy, but in these days of fake news and libertarian billionaires with neo con bent, anything is possible.
Well, seeing as this is being produced by HanWay Films, who largely stick to small prestige films with the occasional genre offering, I think your fears are largely unfounded. The casting is tone-deaf for sure, but sometimes, one bad thing is just one bad thing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Frunobulax

Apr 10, 2019
I wonder if it will discuss the fact that Rothschild Inc saved Trump in 1990 when Wilbur Ross was its CEO.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
His pick of roles has shrunk but the ones that take a chance get a good end product.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh FernandoRocker, I know you. Not surprised at this take. Yes, lets support a movie that is named after a family that is at the of antisemitic conspiracy theories. Par for the course.
So making any movie about them is verboten? I don't quite understand this take.
Not liking Mel Gibson, I totally get. But this seems like an odd argument, unless there is specifically something anti-semitic about the portrayal or the implications of the story. But we literally have no idea.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Man, Mel Gibson always gives me weird feelings. For everything he's said and done about multiple minority groups, I loathe him. But, what he did for Robert Downey Jr., certainly saved his career and probably saved his life.

I still loathe him, but now I also feel guilty for loathing him. It's the same feeling I get when Robert Downey Jr. says he'd work with him. I feel anger and guilt. It's just the absolute worst type of feeling.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Meh. Gibson is a good actor and specially a good director. I'm pretty sure it will be a good movie.

You guys really can't learn forgiveness. The guy paid his dues a long time ago.
What has Gibson done to show that he's bettered himself and is truly sorry? He directed some good movies?

Trodimus

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (permanent): Bad faith posting, consistent history of trolling across a variety of topics; account still in junior phase
This is gross. With projects like these combined with Ilhan Omar and Rashida Talib's recent terrifying comments its clear antisemitism is on the rise. We all need to speak out on this.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has Mel Gibson paid his due tho? Or did he pull a marky mark walberg and just forgave himself so he can sleep at night? Becuase fuck Mark Walberg and fuck Gibson.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Mel Gibson always gives me weird feelings. For everything he's said and done about multiple minority groups, I loathe him. But, what he did for Robert Downey Jr., certainly saved his career and probably saved his life.

I still loathe him, but now I also feel guilty for loathing him. It's the same feeling I get when Robert Downey Jr. says he'd work with him. I feel anger and guilt. It's just the absolute worst type of feeling.
Bad people can do good things. No need to feel guilt for loathing a piece of shit

Oct 26, 2017
Mel is a asshole, he has done some horrible things over the years.Hopefully he has changed his ways and paid for it dearly.

I think we dont know enough to freak out about the story line just yet.
But about the Rothchilds being shady motherfuckers that abused people and war to get rich, filthy rich at that, that shit is spot on. The Rothchilds get no sympathy from me.

Oct 27, 2017
This isnt how you do a satire or a Roman a clef. They're about to get sued into oblivion especially with how obvious the name is. They literally just removed one letter.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you who say that Rotschilds should not get our sympathy are missing the point. It is not about one family being targeted by antisemites. It is about the family being turned into a symbol which contributed to millions of innocent people being killed. The name "Rotschild" functions more like a label for a "rich Jew" than a reference to a real family. This makes the project problematic as it fuels into the antisemitic narrative according to which all Jews are dangerous because they are rich, powerful and well-connected.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm definitely not ready to condemn the film itself, but casting Gibson specifically is a dumbass move considering the subject the matter.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Dozens of posters on GAF and ERA over the years: "It's time to forgive Mel Gibson"

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an agnostic raised as a catholic, but I still don't get the conncetion behind anti-semitism and "jews killing Jesus".
1. it was the Romans who did the dirty work
2. Jesus was a jew and the Romans made that very clear with the INRI sign
3. without Jesus being crucified the whole message of the new testament would fall apart, because no martyrium, no sacrifice.
4. the bible without the new testament is basically Judaism
5. Jesus came back from the dead, so he wasn't even killed

Or did I miss something?

Oct 31, 2017
Every time I see Gibson in a movie, I'm put off by the movie. Fuck this guy.

Hollywood really is so much bullshit to keep people like this around.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly do holocaust deniers even believe happened, if not the holocaust?

They're conspiracy theorists, right? Like a prejudiced version of moon landing deniers, 9/11 truthers, and flat earthers?

Holocaust deniers generally fall into two categories:
  • Those who straight up deny the Holocaust happened, they argue that there weren't that many Jews in Europe to begin with before WWII, that at most ~250,000 Jews died as civilian casualties in World War II, and that there was no effort by the Nazis to do anything to Jews in particular.
  • Those who recognize that the Holocaust happened but generally try to downplay its severity at every turn... E.g., it wasn't 6million Jews, it was 2million Jews; The Nazis weren't targeting Jews for being Jewish, they were targeting all non-Germans in Germany/Austria/Europe; "The Holocaust may be bad, but the result of the Holocaust [what they see as the State of Israel] is worse!"
What's truly bizarre is the fairly common breed of neonazi who idolize Nazis for targeting Jews, yet deny that the Holocaust happened. It's... this bizarre contradiction. Like, they're wearing swastika armbands because the Nazis stood up for the Aryan race, but they don't recognize what the Nazis did for standing up for the Aryan race... Like... what?

And yeah, holocaust deniers are conspiracy theorists. Holocaust denial is one of the top conspiracy theories since World War II, and probably the most common/pervasive. Aside from other insidious conspiracies about Jews (e.g., Jews control the media, Jews control the press, Jews control the banks, Israel only exists because of Jewish money, etc), denying the holocaust is the most common conspiracy theory in the world.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Meh. Gibson is a good actor and specially a good director. I'm pretty sure it will be a good movie.

You guys really can't learn forgiveness. The guy paid his dues a long time ago.

I find it interesting that you've been on Era multiple times since making this post but are now purposefully avoiding the thread so that you don't have to answer, "How did he pay his dues?"