• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
So what this means is after the Sony and most likely EGS fuckery I'll be checking this game out for 10$ after some PC sale in 2023. Okay then see ya there.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring. Prior infraction for similar behaviour.
So they funded it, gave him probably the most impressive engine of this generation for a 6-12 month timed exclusive. If this is true i really hope they will lose next gdn really hard because this management must be on drugs or something.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I don't think that people playing only on PC will go ahead and buy a PS4. So I don't think this would affect Sony at all in the grand scheme of things.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
That was the original plan in December 2015 when they teamed up with Sony prior to even choosing an engine to work with. i figured when they chose the engine created by an in-house Sony studio (GG) it effectively killed the idea of a PC version there and then since there hasn't been any other instance of Decima appearing on PC...i still don't see it happening...unless of course Sony are aiming to turn the Decima engine into a PhyreEngine situation?
Yes, thought chosing the Decima Engine killed the PC port.

Guess Sony is ok with making more money 12 months later on a new Platform (probably at the same time as the PS5 release/patch)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but they own the IP. What's the benefit in removing the exclusivity from their own game?

I suspect they dont totally own it. I also suspect Kojima had enough leverage to negotiate some degree of ownership and self publishing on PC.

So they funded it, gave him probably the most impressive engine of this generation for a 6-12 month timed exclusive. If this is true i really hope they will lose next gdn really hard because this management must be on drugs or something.

For a year of exclusivity with PC... But don't expect the game to go anywhere else. You think they're on drugs, it's just tought negociations. Kojima was in a position to choose. You think only Sony was willing to write him a check and give him an engine ? And do you also think that Kojima after being fired would work again without some degree of ownership ?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, Sony really bent over backwards for Kojima. But it's a really strange deal. Sony is paying for the game and owns the IP, which means they will get the money generated from a PC release and a sequel doesn't happen without Sony. It really makes no sense for Kojima to demand a PC release, unless Sony is giving him the money generated on that platform which would be a completely crazy thing to do.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you WANT that sort of philosophy to fail. Damn, I wish every platform holder released their games multiplatform.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why? I'd rather more people get to play the game instead of keeping it locked away on a single platform. This some flagrant corporate fanboyism bruh.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why Sony would let an IP it owns go to PC, but oh well.

Why shouldn't they? The way that MS has managed their console exclusives on PC has been... not great, but Sony would be wise to leverage the platform as another revenue stream.

-Launch game on console hardware with 1 year timed exclusivity

-Launch game on PC where they can have a second boost coupled with sales longevity

As long as they make a partnership with a normal storefront like Steam and don't do something dumb like making it through PSNow or whatever then they could make much, much more from their IPs.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this opinion, it's not true though.

Yes, I'm sure you are fine with it.

Holy crap, Sony really bent over backwards for Kojima. But it's a really strange deal. Sony is paying for the game and owns the IP, which means they will get the money generated from a PC release and a sequel doesn't happen without Sony. It really makes no sense for Kojima to demand a PC release, unless Sony is giving him the money generated on that platform which would be a completely crazy thing to do.

They also made FFVII Remake and Shenmue 3 kind of a big deal at their E3 too but those are also coming to PC. Sony worries more about console exclusivity and let's be honest, the game will sell very very well on PS4 regardless of a PC version.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Why wouldn't you want more people to play this game? It's just more money for Sony if it goes on PC. Even corporate fanboys will understand that.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine being this deluded where you rather stan for a corporation instead of having your fellow gamers also have a try out at experiencing the game on a platform of their choice.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect they dont totally own it. I also suspect Kojima had enough leverage to negotiate some degree of ownership and self publishing on PC.

For a year of exclusivity with PC... But don't expect the game to go anywhere else. You think they're on drugs, it's just tought negociations. Kojima was in a position to choose. You think only Sony was willing to write him a check and give him an engine ? And do you also think that Kojima after being fired would work again without some degree of ownership ?

I think Sony own it just part of the deal was with PC later .
We will most likely see the PC and PS5 version upgrade the same time.
It coming on PC will still give Sony money and this later in the gen moving hardware not a big factor.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

They'll make their investment back and then some and have a good working relationship with Kojima Productions - its not a bad deal at all ?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand what you mean, but it's just a case of Sony would not have this game/IP in the first place if they didn't negociate this sort of deal with Kojima. At least that's how I interpret the situation from the outside.

If some third party would have paid Kojima for death stranding it would have been on ps regardless without any funding or wave handing tech. I want Sony to fund stuff i wouldn't have get otherwise. So yea #fuckdeathstranding

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no.

I bought a PS4 for this game and Last of Us 2, really. I would much rather play on PC, so this is exciting news. I don't know if I could wait.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why shouldn't they? The way that MS has managed their console exclusives on PC has been... not great, but Sony would be wise to leverage the platform as another revenue stream.

-Launch game on console hardware with 1 year timed exclusivity

-Launch game on PC where they can have a second boost coupled with sales longevity

As long as they make a partnership with a normal storefront like Steam and don't do something dumb like making it through PSNow or whatever then they could make much, much more from their IPs.
Honestly this would probably make me go PC only in the future. There would be no more reason to own a PlayStation just like there is no reason to own a Xbox for me anymore. Exclusives are vital to a consoles for me personally. They are my reason to buy them in the first place.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
iirc this was before switch to Decima engine ... but well the old investor press release mentions the magical words "console exclusive" which seems like opened path for PC port posibiulity

Sony Interactive Entertainment Unveils Hideo Kojima’s PS4 Console Exclusive Title Death Stranding

SAN MATEO, CA, June 13, 2016 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today unveiled Hideo Kojima’s first Kojima Productions title DEATH STRANDING for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and its first teaser trailer at the E3 2016 PlayStation Press Conference. As with all of his past masterpieces, the latest...

And this was when Decima was chosen.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

Would you say that Sony shot themselves in the foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.