• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Specifically the Guinevere server? Setharion from Guin here.

I have to say that DAOC was one of the most special and incredible gaming eras of my life and you just had to be there to really understand. But there was a real life dynamic, community aspect that was unlike anything at the time.

The beauty was the fact that you had 3 realms and the way it played out in the PvP areas were endless. Whether it was standoffs, or being zerged, or having stealth battles... It was incredible and the fact that everyone also then posted on the VN boards was just another element because those in game tensions were either fueled more or bridged, it was just unique.

But there was also just like a reality show that went on between the game and everyone who played, the forum drama was and could be incredible and was even better when people then met on the battlefields. So much fun.

The game in itself was when MMOs were still so full of rich gameplay. In fact Everquest, AC and DAOC for me were the days of MMOs that owned my life in my late teens. I spent so much time in those 3 games it was just a blast. I could sit and write forever about EQ and AC.

But anyways was curious who might have played daoc and or possibly from the same server

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I love DAoC so much. Never played on Guinevere, though. Started on Morgan le Fay and eventually ended up on Gaheris. I was one of those weirdos who liked everything else about the game and didn't need RvR to satisfy them.

To date, I still think it has some of the best, most interesting class design out there. I think the only MMO I've played since that gave me a similar feeling in terms of class design was Rift. I returned briefly last year with a friend, but it didn't last very long.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played it from the day it came out until well after trials.

Still some of my fondest memories gaming. PvP in an MMO has never been done better to my knowledge.

Palomides server

OP
OP
Hollywood Hitman
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Played it from the day it came out until well after trials.

Still some of my fondest memories gaming. PvP in an MMO has never been done better to my knowledge.

Palomides server

Same man, I never thought that the mmo scene would change so much after those days. I thought that type of mmo rpg gaming would be a staple all of my life. But man nothing compares

Herlaking

Oct 26, 2017
The last MMO I truly enjoyed playing like an MMO (instead of a weird single player / co-op rpg hybrid with no real sense of a community or goal).
I also backed Camelot Unchained on KS out of nostalgia but I'm barely following how it's progressing...

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Albion player on Merlin server. Ran an Armsman and a Deathsight Necro. Quit the game when Trials came out, but leveled another character to 50 when Catacombs came out.

I miss it, man. Uthgard is sweet the last time I was on there.

OP
OP
Hollywood Hitman
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Wasn't there a new game coming out that has mythic devs and was built around 3 factions? I know Camelot unchained was being done but there was something else I had thought

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I think I played on MLF server, but it's been a long time. My second favourite MMO of all time, but Asheron's Call probably only takes first spot because it was the first one I really played a lot of.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Dark Age of Camelot primarily because of how easy it was to rip assets from it and mod them into Morrowind

I actually wanted to play it properly back in the day but my internet was never setup to handle MMOs, or any online game really.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Played it when it came out but never could get into it. Regretted it years later after knowing some people who were huge into it and very passionate about it.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017

Every time I hear this song it takes me back. I'm very nostalgic for a lot of the Albion town times, ambient music and sfx.

All the ambient music is great.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
DAoC was such a huge part of my DnD group when it came out. I was always too busy to dedicate time to it but it was something special.

OP
OP
Hollywood Hitman
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
My cousin and I were originally Hibs, we were 2 of the earliest level 50 blademasters on the server and battled hard in emain for the realm..

Had a fallout with folks tho eventually and our guild, and as a huge retaliation we deleted our bms and recreated stealthers on albion and had one hell of a deadly stealth squad.

But it was big time drama lol, you just can't find that type of shit in gaming anymore, was just memorable as hell!

Camillo

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My all-time favourite game, fantastic PVP. Started with beta in Europe and played on Prydwen Server. Best community ever in a game.
I remember FreddysHouse forums, IRC-chats, storming castles, relic raid "zergs" with hundreds of people and sneaking around the frontier with my infiltrator - Good old times :)

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
The last and really only MMO that held my attention for a long long time. It also was responsible for some fuck ups with my motivation in school so not all is well. I played on the European server and it was a fun time, sadly no other MMO really captured the RvR and overall design that made the Game so enjoyable for me. The community was insane, the organising of Relic Keep defenses etc.

I'm interested in Camelot Unchained, but i'm still a bit sceptic if that will pan out and even if it will I'm not so sure I would have the time to invest into it.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
DAoC was my first real MMORPG, played Midgard on Excalibur up until Catacombs released.
Always tried to find a similar experience in newer MMOs (in particular WAR and ESO), they never quite get it right, obviously.. But one can dream.

Here's to hoping that Camelot Unchained will scratch the itch once it releases.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Last I checked they were about ready to go into the initial beta test, but they've pushed that further into the future so many times now, that it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sshot043zg3syq.jpg

With the old guild, this game was pure fire. Good times.
I really miss an online type of experience like this.

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Wow, has been quite some times since I last heard about DAOC. I used to love its atmosphere, fantastic.
Is it still played?

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played on Percival from just after launch until just before the release of Trials of Atlantis. DAoC was my first MMO, and is still the one I've gotten the most enjoyment out of overall. 3 realms combined with a good community and free roam PvP zones made it, for me at least, the gold standard for PvP that no MMO I've played since has measured up to.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I was on Guin, I played a cleric named Aselith on there. Mostly PvE though with some RvR

Exhumed

Oct 29, 2017
Washington
I don't remember what server but I played a Minstrel named Raaiz. I miss the RvR so much. PvP in any other game hasn't even come close. I miss the music, the magic, the community.

I remember being able to solo a specific instance to farm a specific resists ring that sold for a ton of money. Only MMO I can remember being rich in. Gave back so much to my guild. Pretty sure I supplied our regular RvR group with power pots for quite a long time.

Good times and fond memories.

querulous

Oct 27, 2017
Black Hole Planet 3
EQ was the first MMO that "wow"ed me. But DAOC was the first MMO I fell in love with. World of Warcraft was great from a polish standpoint, but I never had the same spark that I had with DAOC, and I never really miss WoW all these years later. There was just something about the world and RVR that made DAOC so utterly unique and special. Man, I really miss that game. So many great memories.

Edmonton

Oct 28, 2017
DAoC was my first real hard-core played MMO, I swear I had thousands of hours in that game. I too have fond memories of 200 person pvp raids, alarm clock raids, relic defenses, mezz bombs and pbaoe stacking fun.

Then there was the solo play with stealth and archers, etc. Played it a ton back in the day, both RvR and PvE. I still enjoyed trials for what it was, although the stat stacking got a bit crazy at times to min/max.

Was Alb on Guinevere, also played Mid Perci, and Hib a bunch on another server who's name escapes me currently.

I hope Unchained brings back some of the greatness, I miss the feeling of mass battles while still being able to take on a much larger force when coordinated and setup correctly. Holding out in a fort until help could arrive with a small group only to rush out of the gates to help your realm defeat the people sieging you was always a great feeling.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Played Midgard on the Merlin server. That factions world is so fucking depressing I took a screenshot of the goddamn sun one time. Just grey and rain.

And people in chain with hammers, good luck finding the healer other factions!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a new game coming out that has mythic devs and was built around 3 factions? I know Camelot unchained was being done but there was something else I had thought

Yep not Guin tho. I played Midgard on Kay server (I moved there from Midgard Igraine when Igraine started having pop issues). Was in a guild called Fury, that eventually moved to WoW at its launch into a guild named Schizm.

Loved DAoC. Still do really, but Im not currently playing on Uthgard the private server because Im not fond of the staff behind it. Waiting on the Origins server relaunch or the Classic server Broadsword (the new current owner of the IP) has been hinting at.

The three realm system was really great. And PvP that isn't just "instanced" like all the new MMO's had a lot of benefits.

Edit: I backed Camelot Unchained on Kickstarter. And I still get email updates about it (I havent read any of them in mooooooonths though). But yeah its still in development.

Finnroth

Oct 27, 2017
I have very fond memories of DAoC, but I played on the EU servers - Albion on release and later on Logres. I had a lot of fun with some other MMOs as well, but DAoC still holds a special place for me, especially the RvR. A friend of mine still plays it from time to time on freeshards :D

Edit: Hibernia for life :P

Oct 28, 2017
I probably have fonder memories of EQ (my first MMO) but DAoC was still damn good, and it's the only MMO where I've bothered to level a character to max level and take part in the end game content. Good times!

OP
OP
Hollywood Hitman
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I probably have fonder memories of EQ (my first MMO) but DAoC was still damn good, and it's the only MMO where I've bothered to level a character to max level and take part in the end game content. Good times!

March of 99 will always be one of the greatest gaming moments of my life. I miss EQ so much.

I don't think it gets enough credit that it still puts out content even to this day and has kept people that busy, just incredible

Oct 28, 2017
It was May 2000 for me - I bought EQ when the Kunark expansion came out, after a work colleague convinced me to give it a try. I'd agree that it was one of the greatest times in gaming. I can still remember so many stupid little details about the game, despite the fact I haven't played it for 15 years.

I could reminisce for hours about EQ, but that's probably best saved for another thread!

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
It was my first MMO so it will always be a very special game for me.

I miss the days when discovering a MMO and its world was an adventure in itself.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
HIb player on Merlin I think. That and I used to mess around on the co-op server as well. First MMORPG where I ever made it to the endgame. I still miss it and would like to go back.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I have so many mixed emotions with DAoC. I had a blast with it, bought the pack with the game and shrouded isles, and played through new frontiers, trials of atlantis, and stopped sometime after catacombs released. I rolled a Druid on Hib/Perc, and my girlfriend at the time founded the guild I was in along with all our friends who were in it at the time and some folks we had met in game.

Around summer of 2004 that girlfriend and I broke up, but I still played DAoC, and she hooked up with someone else in the guild who lived a few states away, and ultimately they ended up getting married a couple years later. I think I lasted maybe another six to eight months after the breakup in that guild before I realized things were just getting too damn toxic for me and I gave my account to a friend of mine and never looked back.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
I loved logging in, doing crafting at my home, picking up mats from other crafters at their homes, being on "guard" duty at a Gate trying to fend off those dirty Albs and Hibs (Midgard forever!). The Realm v. Realm combat was so fun. Building siege rams to take down keep doors, having your stealthers pick off casters and archers on the parapets... Seeing the notice that Darkness Falls was about to change hands and trying to rush in your shadowblades to pick on groups.. ;) and oh god.. the trains.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Played DAOC on release for about 6 months and came back for Trials. Loved the atmosphere, and the RvR component to it. However outside RvR the game lacked end game content compared to EQ.

Paladin on Galahad Server.

We should make an M59 THREAD! =)

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
DAoC was my first MMO too. Mythic's implementation of the 3 realm system was brilliant, and way ahead of their time. The game struck the right balance between PvE, PvP, and RvR options, with something meaningful and fun to do for everyone.

I started as a Thane in Midgard, but spent most of my time playing a Minstrel for Albion. The Minstrel was such a cool class. I could speed boost parties through RvR or battlegrounds, doing hit and run attacks. Or I could go solo and surprise the shit out of players when they didn't know how to react to a Minstrel that could mez, do damage, proc a damage bubble, and charm mobs.

I tried going back to DAoC during catacombs, but all of my friends and guildmates had moved on, and I found seeing the familiar locations nostalgically sad. The community was great for a few years, including reading about the previous nights exploits on the VN boards.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain my friend and I played on Guin. I played a Necro named Meyer and he played a Merc. We mostly spent our time waiting for swaps in Darkness Falls and fighting as long as we could. I think at one point he was the #2 ranked Merc on the server.

I really miss those days. I started with UO and the moved to EQ because of the Merc friend above. DAoC was something else though because of everything Lorcain touched on above. The balance across all of the gameplay styles meant you were bound to find something fun to do. I tried to go back to it a few times, but it's never the same.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Waiting for Camelot Unchained but man they are taking forever on that game!

Long time DAoC player. Glad to see some people here remembering the good times!

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
DAoC was my gateway MMO drug. I had played some of EQ before, but it wasn't until this game that I found myself hooked on the online experience.

I had a few Hib toons on Guin. I think my main was a Lurikeen Mentalist(?), but I forget the name. My favorite character was a Troll Berserker named Gravels. He was Midgard/Galahad server.

SledGod

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of jealous that I never got to play this. I played a bit of WAR, which was heavily DAoC inspired, but it died out pretty quickly. Keeping an eye on Crowfall and hoping it will scratch that itch.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I played from launch until around the time WoW was released. Started on the Kay server, Albion, and then later moved to the Gawaine server and played Hibernia. I spent a ton of time in the battlegrounds. Don't get me wrong, RvR was great but the larger battles would usually cause my pc to crash, so I mostly stuck to doing BG's in the 20's and 30's. Good times.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
To date, I still think it has some of the best, most interesting class design out there. I think the only MMO I've played since that gave me a similar feeling in terms of class design was Rift. I returned briefly last year with a friend, but it didn't last very long.

I loved the class design as well but back in the early days before they added in the respec stones, you had to be careful about spending your points because there was no going back. It was great because it actually required you(the player) to put some thought into how you developed your character. There's too much hand-holding in today's MMOs.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
There's something that DAoC did really well that you don't see often in modern MMOs, and that's a well thought out reactive based combat system based on triggered parries and blocks. Depending on the class, you might have 2-6 additional moves that built upon the satisfying "clunk" of a shield block, or that "ping" of a successful parry. I remember there were some classes that if they parried your character you were f'ng toast because of their reactive chains. You could even branch a reactive chain into different status effects or utility chains based on the situation.

DAoC nailed the sound effects and visuals for blocking and parrying. It was just so satisfying to see your character get that last parry in right before dying to open up your counter chain and win the fight.

SafetyFirst

Oct 28, 2017
This tread has brought back some real great memories! I started off as an Albion Armsman on Gawaine.

Looks like I still have access to my account which was created on 10/13/01 - they are offering a free 30 days for returning players. I'm very tempted to log in just to see what the game looks like now.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man, I remember playing the game back in the day. Great times! I wish I still had my login information.