• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember downloading it on a very dry month on Steam. My opinion is worth crap though, because I was hoping to recapture the magic of a few years before of spending hours in minecraft, only to realize I don't have the time I used to as a kid to invest in these titles so I gave up shortly after. Seemed like it was basically Minecraft with a more solid RPG system behind it. So if the complaint on the former was that you wished it had more RPG skills and better combat, this might be for you.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I beat it with my friend and my daughter awhile ago. It's not bad. It's a more combat/exploration focused minecraft-like. The lack of importance on building could be good or bad depending on what you want out of it. There are boss fights and a very very low amount of loot. Crafting armor and weapons was the focus and those require materials from the worlds or monsters.

Not a bad game all in all. But not very remarkable

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it with a friend. More like dragon quest builders than anything else. Serviceable combat, npcs with quests, light rpg mechanics and skill tree, bosses. Pretty fun so far. Nothing too deep.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I only finished the first world (as in, beat the first boss), but playing it with 1-2 friends the game is really cool. As others said, it's basically a more combat and exploration focused Minecraft. Yes, you can build, but you really don't need to.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's decent enough. I like how the NPCs thrown about in the game give you quests which adds a bit of structure as opposed to the aimless diy nature of Minecraft, but then again Dragon Quest Builders also had a set quest structure with the reconstruction of the towns for the different chapters.

I do like there there is more personal gear to craft and to tailor your character with the class system and combat focus. While Minecraft does have combat. There is very little incentive to actively pursue them since drops are much less uncommon and in more significant repair costs of equipment which makes the risk to reward factor heavily unfavorable. So Portal Knights is better in this regard.

One of the biggest detriment to Portal Knights is the lack of incentive to make a permanent settlement due to the constant traveling to the different realms for the different quests and leveled areas. The unfortunate part about this is each new area has a very, very long loading screen. It's bad enough returning to an old pre existing world which already has player specific changes saved to memory doesn't reduce these load times either when traveling pack and forth. These ridiculously bad load screen disincentivizes making a permanent home location because of the considerable time spend waiting for game to reload a new map.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
last weekend i played it co-op with 2 other friends and it was freezing constantly - literally every 2 minutes it would freeze for all of us, then we would play for another 2 minutes and it would freeze again - so frustrating!

i thought Sony tested these games before allowing them on PSN?.... getting it for free is no excuse for it being unplayably glitchy.