• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the big PS5 launch title be?

• A surprise entry in a beloved franchise

• A new IP

• Nothing big, just a small game (Knack redux)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Now that we know that Ghost of Tsushima will come out in Summer 2020, about the last release window it could have while still being a PS4-only game, that begs the question of what big exclusive game will come out alongside the PS5 a few months later. I'm guessing whatever it is will be announced at the reveal event for the console, but I'm interested to see some speculation as to what it is.

Do you think there's some big franchise game waiting around the corner and ready for a holiday 2020 release? A new IP from a known studio? Or will they be content with the PS5 being retrocompatible for now and just release a small game, similar to what they did with Knack for PS4 (although that console also had a new Killzone at launch)?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Horizon 2 seems due to for an announcement.

Some reveal from Insomniac post spider-man (most probably spider-man 2) seems inevitable.

And of course that bluepoint game.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I bet GT7 will show up for launch, specially given how GT Sport has nailed post launch support. I think they are capable of launching a decent game and keep supporting it with more content. I also think they've been working on it for a while now, and that Forza 8 will also show up for XSX launch. Should be fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a new Ratchet and Clank, at or very soon after the PS5 launch.

Likely the new game from Bluepoint.

And I reckon a new game from Housemarque.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
For exclusives, I'd guess there's 1 new unannounced IP in the works that's probably a little bigger scope than Knack but similar in vibe, and probably an unannounced AAA-level game from Guerrilla that are targeted for PS5 launch. I don't think Insomniac is ready with anything just yet, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch's big stuff is out in 2020 prior to PS5, and I think Santa Monica is probably really gonna take its time with whatever's next from them... All of these studios have a ton of resources and may have had teams dedicated to smaller projects for PS5 launch, though. There's tons of other studios under SIE banner that I didn't even mention, too.

Series X reveal tonight has me super intrigued about all of the next gen rollout this year. Sony's launch lineup is definitely a point of huge interest from me.

Oct 27, 2017
There's almost always just 1 big first party game with a new console launch. See BOTW and Killzone as recent examples. Expecting anything more is just asking for disappointment. I really don't know what this title might be though.

I'm sure there will be a large helping of big 3rd party titles and smaller 1st and 3rd party titles however.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
For a while I've thought Horizon 2 might be the tentpole, with a couple of other first party games.

However I think Godfall is interesting in that it signals Sony is going out and signing up timed/launch exclusives of third party games. You could read this a couple of ways - simply that Sony is being aggressive, and more aggressive than they were even for PS4, or, Sony covering bases at launch because first party is running late or won't be as 'present' at launch as they might have previously expected.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon 2 if I had to pick an existing IP. I'm sure there will be some new smaller games at launch but thats the biggest I could think of.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess they can moneyhat third party timed exclusivity deals like they did this gen. Or "fund" games. I don't see a big 1P game from their studios at launch, at most something related to Gran Turismo based on GTS.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Bluepoint is doing and some small to mid sized digital games. The rest will be bolstered by third party cross gen titles.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Horizon 2 + Spider-man 2 (though this maybe more march 2021) and what Bluepoint is doing.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Horizon 2 could be huge. Might not be a launch title but will definitely be close.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Horizon 2 as the ps5 launch title seems like a no brainer since 2017
Demons Soul remaster as a launch title would be so cool too. A great duo for launch. But could see it releasing a few months after tho.

I don't think Spider-Man 2 will be there for launch. Or else, might as well not releasing Horizon 2 with it, you don't want to release two big ass AAA first party game the same day.

If we expect the PS5 to launch in november 2020, I could see it like this, first party wise :

November 2020 - Horizon 2, Japan Studio new game
December 2020 - Gran Turismo
February 2021 - Demons Souls remaster by Bluepoint
March or april 2021 - Spider-Man 2

And of course a bunch of other games in between that we can't really predict.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony to buy Nintendo and put out Metroid Prime 4 with "extreeeeeeme" graphics.

BucZF.gif

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
If a game is PS5 only in 2020 (i.e.: not on PC or PS4), then I'm going to assume that it's going to be a game on the level of Knack. Making a really big AAA game and pushing it to a small userbase of a console that will more than likely be $500 would be really risky—especially since it doesn't seem that many people are DYING to have new consoles like they were back in 2012/2013 (with the 4K mid-gen consoles also playing a role in this).

We'll see though. I think the biggest game on the system at launch will end up being a game that's either on the PS4 and/or PC. Horizon 2 would be cool.