• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm on the hunt for some fun crafting games on consoles that may have slipped past my radar.

The games I have right now are Minecraft, Terraria, Ark, Subnautica, Stardew Valley, and My Time in Portia. Any other games out there worth looking into?

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Dragon Quest Builders, Portal Knights fits what you are looking for. The long dark kinda has a crafting element, same with No man's sky.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
I have Dragon Quest Builders on the PS4. Has No Man's Sky improved? But the other recommendations, they're console, correct? Why haven't I heard of them before?
No man's sky improved leaps and bounds, but in the nutshell, it's still the same game (it might change with a summer online update). I would recommend it, but be aware that game has long loading times and frame drops sometimes are huge. Flame in the Flood and Don't Starve are indie games, though don't starve is one of the most famous indie games. And all of them are on the ps4.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I have Dragon Quest Builders on the PS4. Has No Man's Sky improved? But the other recommendations, they're console, correct? Why haven't I heard of them before?

Yes. As a pure crafting game you're probably better going for Don't Starve (or Don't Starve Together if you want co-op). TFitF has more of a narrative that pushes you along, though you can also play it purely as survival.

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Which are the creme of the crop in terms of being complete packages and without too many bugs or technical issues?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders was really neat. I loved the Dragon Quest style of it, the more mission based structure and it felt like a more "japanese" minecraft if I can say it like that.

I also like Yonder on Switch. Looks great, has a ton of things to gather and craft, and has no combat.

Nov 8, 2017
Conan Exiles!

I've been playing since beginning of April and it's the most fun I've had playing a game in years.

I'm playing it as a private co-op campaign with a buddy on default settings, and we're trying to discover everything ourselves without any guides. There's a surprising amount of content like dungeons, caves, and other things to discover that makes it very playable as a campaign, and it gives you progressively more difficult objectives ("Journey Steps") to complete that encourage you to learn and progress (though you're free to ignore them if you want). It almost feels like a hybrid of Breath of the Wild + Minecraft + Skyrim. (I can't speak at all for the PvP/PvE experience however).

There's even a mechanic that provides an incentive to build defensively even in single-player/private co-op mode, though we're still trying to build bases that look awesome in addition to being functional.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which are the creme of the crop in terms of being complete packages and without too many bugs or technical issues?
The creme of the crop among the ones you don't own is EASILY Don't Starve, or Don't Starve Together, which is a co-op multiplayer take on Don't Starve.

Don't Starve is pretty unique, though. It's a game where you're generally not meant to feel comfortable. It's a terribly bleak and creepy game which tracks your character's sanity alongside other, more typical survival gauges. (It's very much a survival game; building/crafting are survival-oriented tasks that you'll rarely indulge in just to make something that looks cool. I mean shit, the name of the game says it all.)

It's a beautiful and interesting and endlessly unique game that tells an engrossing tale no matter which of its many completely different characters you choose to play as... but it's absolutely not for everyone, so check it out on YouTube before you make the plunge.

Also, Dragon Quest Builders 2 releases worldwide in July, so there's that.

Last edited: