• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one is correct

• Donut

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Doughnut

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Cronut (this is the incorrect choice)

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
I don't know who's trolling whom, but I think it's safe to say Ariana Grande is not too concerned with who wins this argument

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Nobody is arguing that it's ok to lick food that's not yours omg! Do you genuinely take that from this discussion?!

... we're talking about Ariana licking a donut, and the person I'm replying to is insistent that it's a zero risk thing. I'm not the one who has tried to go to lengths to argue that it's perfectly safe to lick food that will later be sold to others. If the question is whether or not I genuinely think either of you would be likely to go lick someone else's food, the answer is obviously: No, no I don't.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why we're trying to argue about whether or not it's okay to lick food you don't own, but everything in the world isn't about bacteria. Influenza can potentially be passed through saliva. Yes, the odds are drastically low, but every day most people do their best to not run the risk of -- even through an extremely rare case -- harming someone else. Licking someone else's donut is an unforced error. It's not something she should be beaten with a scourge over, but it's also flat-out just not something you should do.

We're not, this is something you keep making up. Everyone agrees you shouldn't do lick other people's food. All I'm arguing against is your ridiculous attempts to try and turn it into a health issue.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
... we're talking about Ariana licking a donut, and the person I'm replying to is insistent that it's a zero risk thing. I'm not the one who has tried to go to lengths to argue that it's perfectly safe to lick food that will later be sold to others. If the question is whether or not I genuinely think either of you would be likely to go lick someone else's food, the answer is obviously: No, no I don't.

Your snark doesn't come across as clever or smart, you come across as a dick or straight up lack the ability to understand an argument. Your argument is the equivalent of throwing on a neck brace after a minor accident. Were saying youre reaching and were saying you're way way way more at risk of getting I'll touching a railing or on a Subway than you are from somebody touching your food. Is it a not zero risk? I mean sure, basically everything ever is a not zero risk though so it's an absolute reach and a terrible argument. You don't have to say "think of the immunocompromised!" All you have to say is, she was shitty. You saying she risked lives is peak hyperbole and blowing it out of proportion.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
th

queen
I want to be that donut.
QHIYSqO.gif

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
We're not, this is something you keep making up. Everyone agrees you shouldn't do lick other people's food. All I'm arguing against is your ridiculous attempts to try and turn it into a health issue.

I don't mean "okay" as in "it's totally acceptable" but "okay" as in it couldn't possibly do any harm.

All I originally wanted to say was that it shouldn't be dismissed as having absolutely zero risk of harm to other people. Apparently that was a step too far or something because that's been interpreted by some people as thinking Ariana should be cancelled, thinking that she's as bad as PewDiePie, and that I'm unfit for dealing with life.

Almost everyone in life has been touched by something that didn't seem particularly harmful but drastically impacted their lives. A minor medical mistake led to my grandfather's death. A broken street light led to my cousin's death. A poorly read x-ray has left me in crippling pain for years. A phone call to a wrong number led a friend to suicide, thinking his wife was cheating on him. I'm not saying that Ariana should be castigated for licking the donut, I'm just saying we should do everything in our power not to do something that could inadvertently lead to someone else's harm. No matter how minor it may seem.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean "okay" as in "it's totally acceptable" but "okay" as in it couldn't possibly do any harm.

All I originally wanted to say was that it shouldn't be dismissed as having absolutely zero risk of harm to other people. Apparently that was a step too far or something because that's been interpreted by some people as thinking Ariana should be cancelled, thinking that she's as bad as PewDiePie, and that I'm unfit for dealing with life.

Almost everyone in life has been touched by something that didn't seem particularly harmful but drastically impacted their lives. A minor medical mistake led to my grandfather's death. A broken street light led to my cousin's death. A poorly read x-ray has left me in crippling pain for years. A phone call to a wrong number led a friend to suicide, thinking his wife was cheating on him. I'm not saying that Ariana should be castigated for licking the donut, I'm just saying we should do everything in our power not to do something that could inadvertently lead to someone else's harm. No matter how minor it may seem.

Literally nothing is a zero risk activity. Walking down the street isn't a zero risk activity, nor is farting on a train, or listening to the radio while driving. If your argument is simple "there's a non-zero chance something bad could happen" then you don't have an argument because you can say that about literally anything. Standing beside the donuts has a non-zero chance of causing someone else harm, because debris contains bacteria could fall off her clothes and land on the donut. What an absolutely fucking pointless point to try and make.

That's what we're trying to tell you. Your point is nonsense. You're trying to make this stupid event into something bigger than what it is by framing it as a health risk when literally every single action you take day to day has a non-zero chance of having negative consequences in some way.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Because you responded to me in particular while I was arguing about how drastic the PewDiePie comparison is and went on to say she "endangered lives" and that you'd be in a constant state of shame which I'll let you decide what that implies. You're also moving goalposts now in saying that okay somehow=not a health issue, when it was clear you were saying we took no issue with what she did. You even used the words "gloss over" "fine with" and "non-issue". Its very clear you were implying were somehow pro or neutral licking of random people's food or food tampering. How you have gotten to this point is beyond me, but really what your argument boils down to is this - Ariana has endangered innocent lives, and if I did that I would never be ok with myself. You said all of this in response to me calling out an absurd comparison to PewDiePie. Not sure how you can't see what you've done with this argument.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The left pic is from her VicTorious days on Nickelodeon. I remember, she played a ditz mostly (that could sing really well). She's Italian-american, if I remember correctly. That spray tan tho... whew.

Cat Valentine, from Victorious.

Edit: Oh hey, found her original hair color/style! She's has naturally black hair

ariana-grande-2008.jpg

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people getting pissed off because of her alleged anti-American comments and then she had to apologize for it. Whole thing was stupid.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Because you responded to me in particular while I was arguing about how drastic the PewDiePie comparison is and went on to say she "endangered lives" and that you'd be in a constant state of shame which I'll let you decide what that implies. You're also moving goalposts now in saying that okay somehow=not a health issue, when it was clear you were saying we took no issue with what she did. You even used the words "gloss over" "fine with" and "non-issue". Its very clear you were implying were somehow pro or neutral licking of random people's food or food tampering. How you have gotten to this point is beyond me, but really what your argument boils down to is this - Ariana has endangered innocent lives, and if I did that I would never be ok with myself. You said all of this in response to me calling out an absurd comparison to PewDiePie. Not sure how you can't see what you've done with this argument.

My argument boils down to this: There are people in this thread saying it isn't a big deal to do what Ariana did. I think it is a big deal, and I've brought forward my reasons why. You and Hidden Lemon have repeatedly argued that there's zero health risk, and because there's a good chance that you might get exposed to viruses/bacteria through other contact that any potential health risk is a non-issue. My perspective is that there's basically nothing you can do about people breathing illness into the air, but there is something you can do about licking donuts -- you can not lick them. It's a completely unnecessary extra risk that should be avoided, even aside from its douchey, anti-social nature. Why make the decision for someone else that there's no health risk?

I am genuinely sorry that I got snarky though. My whole point is that people should go out of their way to not put other people at risk, and even though it's only a discussion on a forum, I should be more careful in how I treat people regardless. From the moment we started discussing this you've basically implied that I'm trying to cancel Ariana due to a rush to punish people or something. It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The left pic is from her VicTorious days on Nickelodeon. I remember, she played a ditz mostly (that could sing really well). She's Italian-american, if I remember correctly. That spray tan tho... whew.

Cat Valentine, from Victorious.

Edit: Oh hey, found her original hair color/style! She's has naturally black hair

ariana-grande-2008.jpg

What went wrong in her life that she would end up committing such heinous acts.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
My argument boils down to this: There are people in this thread saying it isn't a big deal to do what Ariana did. I think it is a big deal, and I've brought forward my reasons why. You and Hidden Lemon have repeatedly argued that there's zero health risk, and because there's a good chance that you might get exposed to viruses/bacteria through other contact that any potential health risk is a non-issue. My perspective is that there's basically nothing you can do about people breathing illness into the air, but there is something you can do about licking donuts -- you can not lick them. It's a completely unnecessary extra risk that should be avoided, even aside from its douchey, anti-social nature. Why make the decision for someone else that there's no health risk?

I am genuinely sorry that I got snarky though. My whole point is that people should go out of their way to not put other people at risk, and even though it's only a discussion on a forum, I should be more careful in how I treat people regardless. From the moment we started discussing this you've basically implied that I'm trying to cancel Ariana due to a rush to punish people or something. It's unfortunate that you feel that way.

But we've said it's a big deal, you're arguing in particular with us. I have said over and over she was shitty and it was awful, but I've also said it's beyond absurd to compare her to PewDiePie and also dumb that people are calling for her to be cancelled. I don't know why you've lumped us in with people saying it wasn't a big deal. It was a dumb thing she did. It was also 4 years ago time to move on.

As for the health risk, I've argued my case on that as has hidden lemon. I think there are FAR worse things people do daily, be it not washing their hands, spitting, sneezing without covering their mouths, and also other things that people willfully do that is gross or spreads germs. As pointed out sure that's shitty of her to spread germs, but it's not anywhere near the core of the issue here. Anybody who could genuinely be at risk from something like this would never have a donut that is in the open like that ever, it's hypothetically possible, but it's such a strange argument to make that it's not even worth considering as a core issue.

I've pointed out egging. That can be a risky thing stupid asshole edgy teenagers do. People egg others in the face, people egg people driving by, people egg others on bikes. That could technically put lives at risk. People aren't going to be discussing that aspect though, they'll be discussing the shitty asshole aspect.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What went wrong in her life that she would end up committing such heinous acts.
I want to say it's the 'Kardashian effect'. Lots of starlets going for spray tans, straightened hair, tanned and strategically highlighted makeup with heavy eye shadows/liners, and some even going for butt and lip enhancements. It's not a bad or heinous look, I think it's more a trend. The youngest Jenner sister did a very similar transformation, she looked a lot like the young Arianna in before pics!

Kylie Jenner:
Kylie-Jenner-Main.jpg

unknown.png

Last edited:

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
But we've said it's a big deal, you're arguing in particular with us. I have said over and over she was shitty and it was awful, but I've also said it's beyond absurd to compare her to PewDiePie and also dumb that people are calling for her to be cancelled. I don't know why you've lumped us in with people saying it wasn't a big deal. It was a dumb thing she did. It was also 4 years ago time to move on.

As for the health risk, I've argued my case on that as has hidden lemon. I think there are FAR worse things people do daily, be it not washing their hands, spitting, sneezing without covering their mouths, and also other things that people willfully do that is gross or spreads germs. As pointed out sure that's shitty of her to spread germs, but it's not anywhere near the core of the issue here. Anybody who could genuinely be at risk from something like this would never have a donut that is in the open like that ever, it's hypothetically possible, but it's such a strange argument to make that it's not even worth considering as a core issue.

I've pointed out egging. That can be a risky thing stupid asshole edgy teenagers do. People egg others in the face, people egg people driving by, people egg others on bikes. That could technically put lives at risk. People aren't going to be discussing that aspect though, they'll be discussing the shitty asshole aspect.

There's a fundamental difference between egging and Ariana licking the donut: People know when they've been egged, so if they have health concerns they can seek help. They don't know if their donuts have been licked.

From my perspective brushing it off as being "some class clown stuff" sounds like saying it's not a big deal. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I think the response at the time was appropriate, but it's the kind of thing that someone shouldn't be shit on for years in the future.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There's a fundamental difference between egging and Ariana licking the donut: People know when they've been egged, so if they have health concerns they can seek help. They don't know if their donuts have been licked.

From my perspective brushing it off as being "some class clown stuff" sounds like saying it's not a big deal. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I think the response at the time was appropriate, but it's the kind of thing that someone shouldn't be shit on for years in the future.

The response at the time was totally appropriate. I certainly haven't argued against it. Again I'm arguing that the idea she should be shamed forever, canceled or compared to an alt righter is hilariously absurd.

I also don't see how putting lives at risk is different. If anything throwing an egg is more outwardly dangerous, you know that you could do physical damage. Ariana was a fool but I don't think it ever crossed her mind in anyway that she could potentially hurt somebody. I do think that matters. Either way I don't think either of those should be touted as life threatening.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I want to say it's the 'Kardashian effect'. Lots of starlets going for spray tans, straightened hair, tanned and strategically highlighted makeup with heavy eye shadows/liners, and some even going for butt enhancements. It's not a bad or heinous look, I think it's more a trend. The youngest Jenner sister did a very similar transformation, she looked a lot like the young Arianna in before pics!

Kylie Jenner:

Lol, I was joking about the donut.
Her look doesn't bother me beyond looking unnatural and like a shit load of work to maintain, but I'm a scruffy sod.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The response at the time was totally appropriate. I certainly haven't argued against it. Again I'm arguing that the idea she should be shamed forever, canceled or compared to an alt righter is hilariously absurd.

I also don't see how putting lives at risk is different. If anything throwing an egg is more outwardly dangerous, you know that you could do physical damage. Ariana was a fool but I don't think it ever crossed her mind in anyway that she could potentially hurt somebody. I do think that matters. Either way I don't think either of those should be touted as life threatening.

I don't know why you keep mentioning canceling her, shaming her forever or comparing her to pewdiepie. I've repeatedly told you I don't want to do any of those things.

I think all humans know that licking other peoples' food falls into the realm of being a health hazard, but I could see someone as young as Ariana was thinking "I feel healthy so it'll be okay."

I just think it should be viewed as a very minor health hazard, and that it's super rude to expose unknowing people to any kind of health hazard. I got a bit mean spirited because you kept bringing up the pewdiepie thing, when I was responding to your comment about it being a simple class clown thing, when I think "class clown" behavior is something in a class below licking peoples' food in the real world.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Vaguely. I have actual shit to do in real life so, I sort of recall this from Google News or someshit. What's really surprising is that she has looked 15 for like ten years.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when half of the gaming side didn't know who she was until she made her debut in Final Fantasy.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
By licking that donut she increased its value significantly, the real crime here is that the donut shop didn't capitalize on this and give the proceeds from the Ariana Saliva Donut to charity.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know why you keep mentioning canceling her, shaming her forever or comparing her to pewdiepie. I've repeatedly told you I don't want to do any of those things.

I think all humans know that licking other peoples' food falls into the realm of being a health hazard, but I could see someone as young as Ariana was thinking "I feel healthy so it'll be okay."

I just think it should be viewed as a very minor health hazard, and that it's super rude to expose unknowing people to any kind of health hazard. I got a bit mean spirited because you kept bringing up the pewdiepie thing, when I was responding to your comment about it being a simple class clown thing, when I think "class clown" behavior is something in a class below licking peoples' food in the real world.

I have explained why I brought up the canceling and the pewdiepie. You responded to me when I was arguing with the original ridiculous comment saying we should drop her along with PewDiePie she's just as bad all that nonsense. You responded to me responding to that explaining how she was putting lives at risk. I think that's a stretch to say because as I've pointed out asshole immature people do asshole things like this all the time. She got the punishment she deserved which we agree on, but where you chose to start your argument made it seem like you disagreed with me saying her licking a donut is not worth canceling someone over. I've also pointed out when you say you'd live in a state of permanent shame in the same post as the above, it further implies that you are/were deeply offended by her actions.