• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm going to Aldi for the first time this weekend to stock up on cheap processed foods and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. Do they have any good sweets, dessert stuff?

Oct 25, 2017
I never even heard of aldi until a youtuber I watch shopped there. The video was about clean keto shopping at aldi on a budget. Seemed like a nice place tbh.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
JUST REMEMBER TO CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES

Honestly, most of their stuff is fine. Their fake Talenti are crap though.

I wish there were Aldis here in the Bay Area, but it's probably too expensive for them to operate here. :(((

I miss going to the one near my old place in LA.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've only shopped there once, the nearest Aldi is pretty far from our place. The prices were way cheaper compared to other stores and while it may be OK for processed/packaged things, I remember the fruits and vegetables I brought from them went bad pretty quick. Much quicker than something from Safeway for example.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm occasionally going to the Austrian off-shoot of Aldi (Hofer), and when there's big quality/price studies, they usually score among the best quality produce for just about any foods, even above some of the more higher end and expensive stores.

Not sure how well that translates to wherever you are, but if it's in a similar situation, then I think you can get just about anything.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
aldi rules, shop there all the time for most staple veggies, frozen stuff, basic meats etc etc. The fruit goes off quickly tho, beware

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
If you can get past it feeling like a food bank, it's not bad. They've got good prices on staple items.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
My family used to shop there. The main things I remember are having to put a quarter in to release the lock on the cart, and bagging groceries on a long counter at the front of the store.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I probably dislike it the most out of the German chains I've been to so far. Certainly cheaper for a lot of things though.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I get my toddlers nappies and wipes from there. I have tried the food but it is gross for the most part. It is cheap yeah but it tastes like a few ingredients are missing.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I checked it out a month ago. Pretty cheap and solid. Good produce too. I like the self-bagging and the cart quarter system.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would shop there multiple times a week if there was one in my town. The closest one is about 20 minutes away. We do go there fairly often anyway. Good prices and food

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
My only issue with Aldi's are that their store brand "American" cheese doesn't melt and their fresh produce doesn't seem to last anywhere near as long as our Wegmans or even Price Chopper.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
I like it a lot prices are reasonable. I usually go there every couple of weeks when they have a good items on sale. Unfortunately it's about 10 min father than my closer grocery stores.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I drive across the border from Canada to shop there on occasion.

Real cheap for a lot of stuff.

Wish they'd come to Canada already and make Loblaws sweat.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
There are Aldis here in Australia, and they're considered the cheap option compared to our major supermarket stores Woolworths and Coles. With that said, this comes with the additional reputation of having poorer quality products compared to those sold at Woolies and Coles, though I'd personally say otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
get Guylian Belgian Chocolate Sea Shells and never look back

White, Milk, Dark chocolate crust with a nougat interior.
81m4Dtwhr4L._SX522_.jpg

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer their produce over any other grocery store in my area. It's also a lot cheaper. I also really enjoy their veggie burgers.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went once and dont see whats so good about it. Prices weren't much cheaper than other places. All the weird brands were throwing me off.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
There are Aldis here in Australia, and they're considered the cheap option compared to our major supermarket stores Woolworths and Coles. With that said, this comes with the additional reputation of having poorer quality products compared to those sold at Woolies and Coles, though I'd personally say otherwise.

they have less choice but tbh they're more or less on par, my weekly shop comes out about $10-15 less from aldi than at woolies or coles

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Lidl is far far better.

Penny is my favorite. Best low price/big selection ratio among the "discounters".

I actually have been inside two different ALDI's in the US and they are way different to the German ones.
Honestly believe that (in Germany) it really doesn't matter anymore where you shop.
ALDI makes headlines every now and then for selling a huge ass TV super cheap, but their day to day prices aren't special anymore.
If you buy your shit at REWE or Edeka (the high end supermarkets) and get the Ja!/Gut&GĂĽnstig stuff (the off brand products) you
basically pay the same.
What sucks about ALDI (and all the other cheap stores) is that you are always short one or two items on your shopping list and have to go to REWE/Edeka anyways.

Disclaimer: I do the grocery shopping in our house, because my wife drives a Smart. So I know what I'm talking about.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
If you don't have a bag or forget your quarter for a cart then you can always grab an empty box off one of the shelves - pretty convenient if you're only picking a small number of items.

The Aldi brand ice cream and popsicles are good and insanely cheap.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah we have since they popped up in Australia. What pisses me off is that ours are almost identical to the ones I went into in Germany, only the German Aldi's have fucking pretzel machines. If we're going to open up Germanic retailers here, I want the complete Kraut experience.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
also the random jumble of shit in the middle aisles for 'cheap' is almost never worth it. Stick to the groceries.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much only shop at Aldi here in Australia, unless there are some very specific things they don't have. Plus Aldi chocolate is way better then cadbury

41bw%2BCxtvlL._SX355_.jpg

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Go all the time. They're not bad and for the price I'm paying there they might be my favorite grocery store. I think they're owned by the same people who own Trader Joe's also.