• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Been shopping almost exclusively at Aldi for years now. 0 Regrets. Prices are fantastic and quality is usually great too.

Penny is my favorite. Best low price/big selection ratio among the "discounters".

The larger Penny stores are pretty good but the small inner city stores are straight up garbage

God I love the baking machines so much. Just bought a feta-olive bread and walnut rolls from the machines yesterday.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
they have less choice but tbh they're more or less on par, my weekly shop comes out about $10-15 less from aldi than at woolies or coles
This is my experience in Australia as well. There's only a couple of things I can't get there (thankfully it's literally right next to my local Coles and butcher) but for the most part there is no difference in the quality of the stuff I buy, just slightly cheaper (my weekly shopping tends to be about $13 cheaper at Aldi). The only meh things I've noticed is that some of their fresh produce (namely milk) tends to not last as long as the Coles milk, they have a shit selection of low cal/low carb/low sodium stuff and their salad dressing game is weak.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Netto (Marken Discount to be exact) is terrible where I live. Easily the worst supermarket chain.

Their Pfandautomaten suck and don't work half the time, their staff is getting exploited and their promo products (especially beer) are always understocked.

Ours is great, even the next week they use the sales prices of the week before. And monster energy is on sale all year long. My usual shopping there is a mango kefir, chicken salad, BBQ rib burger and monster energy sugar free. Sometimes if cheaper a six-pack Pepsi Max lemon for half the price 😁

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The larger Penny stores are pretty good but the small inner city stores are straight up garbage

Oh, I know :)
But that is true for every inner city supermarket. The Rewe City shops are a step in the right direction, cramming a fully stocked supermarket (by today's standards) into a small inner city location is always gonna suck.
Back in the 1990s the supermarkets I went to offered less items and had more staff.
Old school supermarkets used to carry one or two kind of Chips (Paprika, in a bag of stacked). Now they sell 5 types of Pringles alone.

Me and my wife moved from the Berlin city centre to the suburbs last year and it's a night and day difference in terms of supermarkets.
Always used to dread going grocery shopping, thanks to narrow aisles, understaffed registers (literally could take 30mins to pay) and aggressive customers.
By contrast, the supermarkets here in Brandenburg feel like 5 start resorts.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Netto (Marken Discount to be exact) is terrible where I live. Easily the worst supermarket chain.

Something I learned recently: Most of these chains franchise out AND operate their own stores.
The self operated stores are flagships and therefore well maintaned and stocked. Employees there are paid according to a CBA.
The franchised ones are hit or miss, depends on who the franchisee is and how big of an asshole he is tbh.

That's why you often have that discrepancy of people saying "Oh my gosh, shopping at Rewe/Penny/LIDL is so much fun!"
vs. "Ugh, I hate going to Rewe/Penny/LIDL".

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The only good thing about Netto (at least near me) is they have self checkout and no one else does. It's trashola otherwise.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been in a while, but this thread makes me wanna go see what kind of deals they've got going on right now.

Nov 8, 2017
Lidl is far far better.
This.

Seriously though, I had no idea that Aldi existed in the USA, and I have no idea how different it is to Aldi here in the Netherlands. At least one common thing is how quickly the fruit goes bad. I prefer Lidl myself; it's basically the same thing, but the fruit lasts longer and they sometimes do themed weeks (e.g. British week, Indian week) with products you otherwise can't buy anywhere else here.

My Lidl is literally right outside my house too, so it's super convenient. If I can't get something from Lidl, I just go to Jumbo, which is another one minute walk away (but it's way more expensive). No point spending more money than I have to.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Aldi's secret best products are their cheapass tools. Aliexpress prices with legit hobbyist quality.

It's the same with LIDL, really. The wildest thing about LIDL's tools is that some of them are made in Germany and/or use Swiss made components (replaceable saws, in particular), which is insane for the price point.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for sweets at Aldi I recommend the Choceur brand chocolates. They're fantastic. If you're lucky enough to come across the cocoa dusted truffles don't pass them by. They're heavenly, even if they do give me heartburn.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Always buy Fruit, Veg and Meats from Aldi/Lidl. Everything else they sell is of lesser quality and avoided.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
When I lived in Germany I used to go to Aldi Süd all the time (don't mistake it for the vastly inferior Aldi Nord) and it was great.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Australian Aldi is really good, yeah I like the strange products and actually you can get a few bargains from the middle isle especially when stuff is on clearance price.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people I know In the UK do Aldi/Lidl for 80% of their shop then the rest from one of the big supermarkets. Aldi sell wonky fruit and veg and we need more of that. Bought a punnet of wonky raspberries yesterday and they taste fantastic. Aldi needs to stock more organic stuff, Lidl has them beat in that department. If only either of them did home deliveries

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Lidl > Aldi
Both are fine though, the ones in Germany are miles ahead of what other countries have but you can never go wrong with a lukewarm Schultenbräu.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Aldi is great. I can do almost a week's worth of shopping/meals there at ~£30-40 for a family of four (though the 2 kids are still small-ish). Good stuff too. Plus our local staff is really nice.
Because of this Iove shopping there (it's called Hofer in my country, not sure why. Same logo and everything). You can basically feed your family for like €200/month from there. It's my favorite by far, most bang for your buck, cheaper than other stores most of the time and great quality groceries.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I don't get the hype, but generally I go for quality rather then price with food.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I knew a guy who's company sold flowers to Aldi. He was glad that deal ended. Suppliers basically take all the risk, Aldi takes none. They're gigantic assholes to their suppliers and employees.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
Shopping at aldi....

9j7ugr3h9pv11.jpg

tenor.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Because of this Iove shopping there (it's called Hofer in my country, not sure why. Same logo and everything). You can basically feed your family for like €200/month from there. It's my favorite by far, most bang for your buck, cheaper than other stores most of the time and great quality groceries.

The only issue with Hofer / Aldi is the fact that their limited selection. Like, they're good at what they do - providing pretty much all of the essentials at great prices.

What you won't find there is a great selection of vegan / vegetarian alternatives. Or a proper 'ethnic foods aisle' (like, Turkish, Chinese, Thai, Mexican etc groceries).

I barely go there because i can never clear my entire shopping list - but sometimes they have great deals on iTunes cards. Or non-food products.

Shopping at aldi....

9j7ugr3h9pv11.jpg

tenor.gif

Shopping in Korea
46590_28692_1411.jpg

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Eagerly awaiting their U.S. expansion in my state. Fresh and Easy died for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England
We switched to Aldi and Lidl a few years ago when my wife was on maternity leave and money was tighter. When we we saw that we were saving £200-£300 per month on food with no discernible difference in quality it was a no brainer to carry on.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I mostly use Aldi for smaller shops. Im a big fan of their rib eye steaks. And they have a great selection of good quality stuff I can put in my kids lunch boxes.

They have great staff at my local one too, which is why I go back.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The only issue with Hofer / Aldi is the fact that their limited selection. Like, they're good at what they do - providing pretty much all of the essentials at great prices.
[....]

I barely go there because i can never clear my entire shopping list - but sometimes they have great deals on iTunes cards. Or non-food products.

OMG this.
My wife always thinks of something she wants to cook, puts the items on our shopping list (Bring!) and I can never get everything at Aldi/lidl/Penny etc.
There's always that one item these discounters don't have. When I see limes or cilantro on our list, I always know I'm in for two stops lol
Thank god I found that little shopping park that has Penny, REWE and "Getränke Hoffmann" all in the same spot.

I was ALDI/LIDL exclusive as a poor student. The winning move is to go into these stores with an open mind.
See what they have in stock and figure out a recipe on the fly.
If you go into LIDL with a set recipe in mind, like a "Mango-Avacodo-Chicken salad", and look for lots of specific items.... it's rough.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
JUST REMEMBER TO CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES

Honestly, most of their stuff is fine. Their fake Talenti are crap though.

I wish there were Aldis here in the Bay Area, but it's probably too expensive for them to operate here. :(((

I miss going to the one near my old place in LA.
My bread stays expiring.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
(UK) Almost exclusively. Aldi and Lidl used to have the "cootie" reputation, like the food was gross and if you shopped there you were poor. Funny how far down capitalist bullshit is ingrained huh?

It's really good quality these days. The only thing that's still a little spotty is the fresh fruit/vegetables. It's also still so much cheaper than going somewhere like Tesco/Asda.