• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've never been as the nearest one to me is 40 mins away. They're building one very close to me, so I'll probably shop there when it opens.

The town already has two Lidls, so Aldi will be a great addition to my weekly shopping round.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
OMG this.
My wife always thinks of something she wants to cook, puts the items on our shopping list (Bring!) and I can never get everything at Aldi/lidl/Penny etc.
There's always that one item these discounters don't have. When I see limes or cilantro on our list, I always know I'm in for two stops lol
Thank god I found that little shopping park that has Penny, REWE and "Getränke Hoffmann" all in the same spot.

I was ALDI/LIDL exclusive as a poor student. The winning move is to go into these stores with an open mind.
See what they have in stock and figure out a recipe on the fly.
If you go into LIDL with a set recipe in mind, like a "Mango-Avacodo-Chicken salad", and look for lots of specific items.... it's rough.

Also, while their store-brand items are really decent, especially the dairy ones, their non-dairy alternatives are lackluster. Their margarine and milk-alternative selection sucks ass.

So nowadays, with both of us having mostly switched to non-cow milk, not even the basic "stock up the fridge" kind of grocery shopping (milk, eggs, butter, yoghurt, fruit) can be done at Hofer alone.

Although, if you are able to cover your grocery needs there, it's top notch quality. Like, their baked goods ("Backshop") are fantastic. Their fruit and produce is great, too.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My local Aldi Süd had the bread vending machine, and the croissants from that machine were to die for.

Then they moved around the corner and replaced the vending machine with a standard bakery section. I will never forgive them.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Their fresh stuff isn't bad (UK). Better than Morrisons which is also closeby and a lot cheaper than Sainsbury's. Their kiwis come in a cute resealable bag with a handle - I think it's useless because I don't like to keep fruit sealed shut like that, but it's cute to pick up off the shelf.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Are they somehow not in the West of the US? I am German, but I often do business trips to the states (usually California or Oregon) and I never saw any Aldi, Lidl, Netto or anything resembling a German super market there.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Do they have any good sweets, dessert stuff?
The cheap Kinder Duplo copy:
opt.1817w.png

The cheap Kinder Bueno copy:
opt.1817w.png

And other great stuff:
opt.1817w.png

opt.1250w.png

Fucking delicious. Depending on your taste it might not be as good as the "real deal" but given the price differences well worth it.
Link to their selection of sweets: https://www.aldi-nord.de/produkte/aus-unserem-sortiment/snacks-suessigkeiten.html

Also no, I'm not working for Aldi nor do I regulary shop there (usually Lidl or REWE).

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Aldi is fifty bucks. That's what it is in savings when I go there in addition to Publix when shopping for the week. I get meats and generic items, like seasonings and veggies. You can't get everything from there. I can't with their broths and stock. They just taste off. Publix has larger fruits and veggies too. You do pay for it though. You also may think that $3.75 La Croix pack is a steal at Aldi, but Publix is going to have something fizzy BOGO. Aldi Gluten-Free stuff is usually better than the Publix options.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
"Your mother is shopping at Aldi" was one the common insults when I was a kid... (and we were all below middle class lol)

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they're really good for a lot of specific stuff and very cheap compared to most other major supermarkets. I used to find it quite stressful at the till because everything seems like it's on fast forward, but just shove everything back into your basket and then go to the little shelf to pack properly.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Aldi's own products are great but Lidl tend to have a bigger selection of discounted 'branded' goods so I tend to mix them up to vary the shopping experience.

Having said that, I've been using Iceland's delivery service recently as the minimum spend for delivery is only £35 which is ideal for a single person living alone who doesn't drive!

And I can get flying saucers delivered to my door!

Ahaha, I just remembered when Lidl first opened in the UK and it was cash only, had a couple of friends do massive shop only to find that out when they go to the till!

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Every week. There's about 5 of them in a 10 mile ratios by me.
Same, I would probably go Lidl more but there's only one nearby and it's still further than 3 of the Aldus plus it's tiny.

I do like Aldi though, once you get used to what they do and don't have it's pretty easy to plan meals and there's not a whole lot of normal stuff that they're missing

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Yes and it's amazing

49 cent avocados some weeks, seen them as low as 25 cents
$1.50 cantelouopes
15 cent per lb bananas
$1.50 pineapples
$1.50 bag of 5 or 6 peaches/nectarines
$1 - $1.50 berries

Plenty of cheap vegetables too and of course plenty of super cheap bagged, boxed and processed food. I don't eat meat so I'm not sure how comparable their meat prices are.

The only thing is they don't typically have name brand but I've never been that picky, personally, so it doesn't bother me.

I usually spend between $15 - $20 a week

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
(UK) Almost exclusively. Aldi and Lidl used to have the "cootie" reputation, like the food was gross and if you shopped there you were poor. Funny how far down capitalist bullshit is ingrained huh?

It's really good quality these days. The only thing that's still a little spotty is the fresh fruit/vegetables. It's also still so much cheaper than going somewhere like Tesco/Asda.
LIDL used to be real trash back in the day. My maternal grandmother, bless her heart, had a very modest pension and used to buy there when I was a kid. I vividly remember weird looking German yogurt that tasted like anything but yogurt and boxed juice seemingly made with the lowest graded fruit one could use for human consumption.

The shops didn't even have shelves. It was all dirty and poorly lit corridors filled with open pallets and crates with low grade merchandise spilling all over the place. Seriously grim stuff.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Imported German beer at a great price!

Their meat selection is pretty great too.

All in all it is really good quality for the price.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
"Your mother is shopping at Aldi" was one the common insults when I was a kid... (and we were all below middle class lol)

That still a stigma. Hell, I used to dog it out until my current Wife took me there and now my Ex goes there. You save so much money it's insane. Especially if you have kids.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
There are Aldis here in Australia, and they're considered the cheap option compared to our major supermarket stores Woolworths and Coles. With that said, this comes with the additional reputation of having poorer quality products compared to those sold at Woolies and Coles, though I'd personally say otherwise.
Totally disagree with this, and I feel like anyone who is still saying this hasn't given Aldi a proper go. Currently I'd argue Aldi, Coles and Woolies are all pretty much neck-and-neck insofar as quality, which annoyingly means if you want to get the best quality you ideally need to shop at more than one supermarket e.g. I get my dairy from Coles/Woolies, and most of my carbs and sweets from Aldi.

Dec 2, 2017
I tend to buy my produce at the local markets but in Germany Lidl's produce is far better than Aldi's (both Nord and Süd). It's the other way around in Austria. Hofer (Austrian Aldi) has better fruit and veggies compared to Lidl but Austrian Lidl is a joke anyway - at least in Vienna.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Where did you get those ALDI-[insert product]? Look at that ALDI-[insert product]!
Nowadays, ALDI is actually known to sell good quality products at a decent price....

Anyone remember the ALDI-PC ?!
That thing got so many people into computers and on the internet, it was crazy.

I still remember 15 yr old me going to a ton of my parent's friends to hook up their Aldi-PCs and set up AOL.

1999.jpg

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I believe ALDI still sells cheap gaming computer in Germany.

Which I find shocking, but then again, I most certain that LIDL has sold printers during one those wild sales events with absurdly discounted prices.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Funky Papa

thing is, the ALDI PC wasn't even that great of a deal back then.
I built my own rigs back then and it was cheaper. ALDI just hit it big by selling a "complete package" for casual users and offering support on the phone.

AFAIK "Medion" got jumpstarted back then and is now available outside of ALDI stores.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wish there was a Lidl a bit closer to us to shop more often. Instead we have a Waitrose which is nice, just expensive. Boosts our house price, though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
we've finally been getting some in Houston. one right across from my house, guess i'll see what the hubub is about when it opens.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
bruh

Only thing I don't like at Aldi (and I mean the real one in Germany) is that they don't sell good beer.

Depending on what you consider to be good beer. They started selling "Kölsch" near Cologne, however I know that a lot of people don't consider Kölsch to be particular good.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on what you consider to be good beer. They started selling "Kölsch" near Cologne, however I know that a lot of people don't consider Kölsch to be particular good.
Where I'm from, they ONLY sell a really bad Pils in a fucking plastic bottle.
This beer is so bad, I'm getting acid reflux after a bottle. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10m pole.

And I'm not talking about an isolated Aldi store, I'm talking about every damn Aldi store I ever was in in Rheinland-Pfalz and Baden-Würtemberg.

EDIT: also Kölsch isn't bad, but I'm more of a pint-sized beer guy myself, I don't like beer in a fucking shot glass.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Ireland, shop alot in Aldi in last few years.
Aldi & Lidl have been in Ireland for over 10 years now and their reputation has come on massively since they first opened.

They now source and stock a lot of locally produced food stuffs from meat, breads and vegtables, milk & cheeses.
I find Aldi better for meat, breads, biscuits, chocolates and Lidl better for fruit and veg.

Last edited:

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
My wife and I shop at Aldi's for the bulk of our groceries and it is fantastic. The only real issue is that their inventory, especially produce, can fluctuate. But the prices more than make up for it. And usually their "off" brand products are just as good as the "real" stuff.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
Where I'm from, they ONLY sell a really bad Pils in a fucking plastic bottle.
This beer is so bad, I'm getting acid reflux after a bottle. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10m pole.

And I'm not talking about an isolated Aldi store, I'm talking about every damn Aldi store I ever was in in Rheinland-Pfalz and Baden-Würtemberg.
Yes, I know the plastic bottle beer ... it's really bad I tried it once and never bought it again. However, I read about them trying to sell more brands so maybe it will change at your place, too. I think they only started selling Kölsch a year ago or so....

Last edited:

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yup Aldi is dope for a lot of things. Always check expiration dates, never go on Sunday or you'll be waiting in long lines depending on what city you live in, grab an empty box off the shelf and put your items in that instead of buying plastic bags. Their guacamole is crack sauce, and their eggs are like 50 cents for a dozen which I always grab a few dozens of when I go.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Fun fact. Aldi South is Trader Joe's while Aldi North is Aldi in the US.

Publix is the best though. Regional in the US.

Not quite. While it's true Trader Joe's is owned by the same company it's a separate division and there are no geographical borders.

We have a Trader Joe's and an Aldi here in Central VA.

Actually we are the supermarket nexus of the universe so we have nearly everything. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Publix, Wegmans, Aldi, Lidl, Fresh Market...I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
There's an Aldi, food lion, 2x Harris teeter, Lowe's, Publix, walmart and soon to be lidl all within 5 to 10 minutes. I mainly shop at Aldi can't beat the prices, and when lidl opens up I'll just alternate.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm going to Aldi for the first time this weekend to stock up on cheap processed foods and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. Do they have any good sweets, dessert stuff?

Their store brand peanut butter filled "Girl Scout" cookies are pretty good. They're better than any other brand, including the Girl Scout ones.

*Edit* We also like to buy their salmon. They have seasoned salmon that you just slap in the oven. Good stuff, and very inexpensive.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Aldi is my weekly grocery store. Just realize that you will not be able to get the brands you normally get, pretty much everything will be their similar but not too similar store brand.
I like their diet soda as it has no sodium added. I'm on keto so can't say much for about desserts. Their QC is definitely worse than other stores, but you get used to it.