• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I love Aldi and I am so happy to be getting one about 5 minutes from my house. I have no issues with anything I've ever bought there and I personally find their produce to last longer than other stores, especially Walmart.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aldi? Lidl Is better but i prefer Netto the most

I think NETTO is gone from the UK, but I remember that being a horrible shop. Like stories of rats in tins of beans and a mouse being in a lettuce and nettos refunding the lettuce and giving the person a new one.

Even had a rhyme. N.E.T.T.O, nettos is the place to go, shop all day, shop all night, come home with a bag of shite.

I don't shop in Aldi, I love my fancy M&S desserts too much.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
these are actually pretty legit

primary_b0a90bfa-1c6a-4e74-823d-ebc82c4ee807.jpg

Last edited:

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We shop exclusively there for about 5 years now. Anything that we can't get there we get at BJ's. Our grocery bill was cut by at least 25% compared to Shoprite.

I swear by their chips and salsa.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
The shops didn't even have shelves. It was all dirty and poorly lit corridors filled with open pallets and crates with low grade merchandise spilling all over the place. Seriously grim stuff.
This reminds me of Eurospin around here

Another thing from Aldi - Hofer / Lidl - we bought a water pump for dirty water for our water tanks four years ago (it was 49,99 euro) and it is still working as charm. Same goes for high pressure cleaner from Hofer

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Love Aldi.

It's interesting that people will label their merchandise as lower grade considering time and time again it's been proven that they have a higher quality at cheaper prices.

The wine test done recently (past year) that revealed Wine Tasters ranked some of Aldis $4 wines were as good as upscale $50+ Wines.

Edit: it was at a show https://www.newideafood.com.au/this-699-aldi-wine-has-just-been-named-the-best-in-australia

I think that's pretty common line of thought here in the states. I always thought that until I met my Wife. She set me straight and I love it now. Friends still won't go because they think it's lower tier.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Totally disagree with this, and I feel like anyone who is still saying this hasn't given Aldi a proper go. Currently I'd argue Aldi, Coles and Woolies are all pretty much neck-and-neck insofar as quality, which annoyingly means if you want to get the best quality you ideally need to shop at more than one supermarket e.g. I get my dairy from Coles/Woolies, and most of my carbs and sweets from Aldi.

right now it's staples -> aldi, discount produce and meats: harris farms, fresh fish and very specific brands (or deli, like olives or rotissery chicken etc) coles.

Thankfully I love near a big complex that has everything in it so I just need to trundle around a few floors

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I knew a guy who's company sold flowers to Aldi. He was glad that deal ended. Suppliers basically take all the risk, Aldi takes none. They're gigantic assholes to their suppliers and employees.

I mean, suppliers I know, but here they actually have a reputation to be by far the best paying employer of all the supermarket chains. Although a job there is rather stressful.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I mean, suppliers I know, but here they actually have a reputation to be by far the best paying employer of all the supermarket chains. Although a job there is rather stressful.

not here. Intimidation, high workpressure with entire shops only run by 2 people at times, personel reduction and increased opening hours, the list goes on.

One link from 2003, one from 2017 with the exact same complaints.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My GF and I shop at Aldi weekly and love it. We pay about half of what we paid at HyVee (which is a super expensive place) and the produce lasts as long or longer in most cases.

I knew a guy who's company sold flowers to Aldi. He was glad that deal ended. Suppliers basically take all the risk, Aldi takes none. They're gigantic assholes to their suppliers and employees.

What do they do as a company to be shitty to their employees? Compared to other retail they seem to be somewhat well paid and have good benefits. I've shopped at Aldi weekly for the past 2 years and the store I go to seems to have very little employee turnover. But maybe I've had the wrong impression.

Edit: I'll check out your links posted above.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do but prefer Trader Joe's.

Aldi and TJ's together constitute almost all of my family's grocery shopping; if I had to choose one, I'd go with TJ's because of their produce, dips/sauces/dressings, snacks, and frozen products, but those Aldi prices are so good.

There's very little reason for us to go anywhere else -- maybe Costco, Walmart, or Target once a month for irregular food products or household supplies.

When I was younger I had this perception that Aldi, Five & Below, and Dollar Tree were just stores full of junk, but as an adult with a family, I've come around on all three.

(USA)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I tried a couple times. The Aldi near my house has a terrible selection, a layout that makes zero logical sense, and prices that aren't that much better than Dollar General. It's also not really close enough to my house to be convenient - if I'm already walking the six blocks it takes to get to Aldi, I'm better off just walking the extra two blocks and going to the Target grocer a little further past it where they actually sell good food.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Half Sour pickles at Aldi's are god-tier. Holy crap they are delicious!

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I went to Aldi quite a lot when I was in Dublin.. Actually went there more often in half a year over there than I have in my entire living in Germany.