• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of switching from consoles to PC for couch gaming. How feasible is playing multiplayer shooter with a controller vs mouse and keyboard player? Im not looking for some competitive play, just some fun casual playing.

Honest opinion, is it still fun or will you get totally destroyed the whole time?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Very feasible. Sure, it's a disadvantage, but you can still play at a high level using a controller. I started with controller when I moved to PC a while ago and made out fine in all of my shooters.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It deppends on the game.

CS GO or Siege are a no go, but something like COD MW will work since it will match you vs other controller players.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Sometimes I've played some CoDs with a gamepad. I didn't reached my usual results, but I was mostly among the best players of the match.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The last CoD has Crossplay for all platforms and I see a ton of console players all the time, and they perform fine against kb/m users. I don't know what kind of trick Activision has pulled. I guess it's a mix of aim assist & big hitboxes & low recoil of the CoD series (even if it's bigger in MW than in previous entries).

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
I play Overwatch on PC with a controller all the time and it's fine. I avoid Competitive but Quick Play and the Arcade modes are still fun. There's lots of heroes that are fun to play and don't require much aim (mostly tanks and supports).

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
You'll do fine.
I've seen pad players from Destiny, Fortnite, Apex Legends and COD do fine against mk users.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
everything is viable for casual play cause you are not trying to be the best or achieve victory at all costs

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Titanfall and Titanfall 2 work wonderfully with controller.

Playing with controller also prevents getting RSI and cramps.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
lol, no it doesnt... you can get RSI from gamepads..

If you're clamping it hard and pushing the buttons too hard for a long time perhaps, but overall it's better than repetitively hammering the mouse buttons and getting wrist problems, it doesn't eliminate it but it helps in my opinion.

I had to stop playing Diablo and Path of Exile because it was getting bad.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Friend of mine plays shooters with controller on pc and he does fine. If you're like me you're gonna suck at FPS games no matter what control you have though lol.

You can also set up a half and half scheme where you use a gamepad in your left hand and mouse in right. I sometimes use my left Joycon as movement and mouse in right for example. Just use a program to map keys to Joycon and you're good to go.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My opinion is that you'll be decimated.

At least that was my experience with Blops 2. I ranked top 3 in practically every match on both PS3 and Wi U. I sunk a shit ton of time into that game and knew the maps like the back of my hand.

So Blops 2 was one of my first buys when I built a PC. I was using a simple mouse at the time that lacked extra buttons, so me not being limber enough to effectively use the variety of inputs on a keyboard decided to use an Xbox controller.

I was obliterated every time I spawned. I couldn't do shit despite knowing those maps and being so comfortable with the weapons. I'm sure some of those players were cheating, but I doubt they all were. So for me a controller just isn't effective against a mouse unless the game is giving controller players a huge advantage with lock on targeting.

I'm sure you'd be okay with single player campaigns though.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I use pad on Apex and it's fine. I get kills left and right. Probably because keyboard players have to stretch their entire hand, nearly breaking it, to hit the lowest key, control and the highest key, w, to just run and hit like the # key to throw a grenade. That being said, keyboard in some games is ok. I like using it in cs go. I was just disappointed in the controls in apex

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I use pad on Apex and it's fine. I get kills left and right. Probably because keyboard players have to stretch their entire hand, nearly breaking it, to hit the lowest key, control and the highest key, w, to just run and hit like the # key to throw a grenade. That being said, keyboard in some games is ok. I like using it in cs go. I was just disappointed in the controls in apex
Ehhhh?? Lmao i dunno wtf kind of keyboard u have. U can just keybind all those to mouse.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
I dont get it? As long as you stick to controller any game with decent matchmaking will work just fine. You will just face "worse" players.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It deppends on the game.

CS GO or Siege are a no go, but something like COD MW will work since it will match you vs other controller players.
It's been awhile but I used to do pretty good in R6 Siege with a controller. I just could never use a keyboard for movement and I even bougth a Steam controller to try and remedy this but I'm not a big fan of that controller.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
You'll probably get matchmaked with people who are average/bad or other gamepad users so it won't be a problem. If you play a competitive mode then you'll have a lot more trouble unless it's something like Overwatch where plenty of heroes don't require precise aim.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on the game, you should stay away from some with a controller (csgo) but generally you should be fine.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Entirely depends on the game.

Games with close quarters range, high manueverability, aim assist, and long ttk tend to be better. Some games you may even have an advantage.

Dec 25, 2018
Couldn't Play FPS on PC without it, been rocking the XBO controller for Destiny 2 and Halo:MCC, and the Steam Controller for other stuff (mainly older games that don't have controller compatibility built in)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I basically only use controllers. It's fine, but I suck. I'm even worse with a keyboard though

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I only use controllers for fps on PC and honestly I've never felt like I've had a disadvantage because I'm so used to dual analogs. Call of Duty Black Ops, Battlefield 5, Overwatch, Destiny 2, ect.
I just never liked mouse and keyboard controls at all and always strayed away from it. Use that controller op. Use what makes you feel comfortable, you won't regret it.

Oct 31, 2017
CoD and BF you'll be fine. It does very much depend on the game and how generous they are with aim assist options. Apex and Halo I haven't had issues with either.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CoD is great because it will match you with other controller users on PC and consoles. It's how I play the game and I love it.

I think for certain games like maybe Apex you'll be able to play fine, but there will be a skill ceiling lower than what is possible with m+kb. I still played with a friend on PC who used a controller and he did fine for the most part.

Either way I say go for it! Play with whatever feels best to you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only use controllers for fps on PC and honestly I've never felt like I've had a disadvantage because I'm so used to dual analogs. Call of Duty Black Ops, Battlefield 5, Overwatch, Destiny 2, ect.
I just never liked mouse and keyboard controls at all and always strayed away from it. Use that controller op. Use what makes you feel comfortable, you won't regret it.
That sounds awesome, thank you very much!

I'm a console kid and playing FPS with controller since 20 years so im super comfortable with it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In games with good aim assist and controller options like Destiny, Apex, Battlefield it won't really make much of a difference unless you are playing at super high levels or playing a game designed for KB/m like Siege. Your average gamer on PC is just that, and average gamer so all the talks about how controller players will get decimated is just talks.

In some games like MW and Fortnite controller players actually have an advantage atm due to strong aim assist.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of switching from consoles to PC for couch gaming. How feasible is playing multiplayer shooter with a controller vs mouse and keyboard player? Im not looking for some competitive play, just some fun casual playing.

Honest opinion, is it still fun or will you get totally destroyed the whole time?

Most popular multiplayer shooters either match players with the same type of control or based on skill level, so if you're just going to play casually, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have a good time of it.

I wouldn't advertise it in some shooters, though, gamers can be assholes.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Some games account for this. Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't GTA Online lobby players if they're using controllers? Or is it based on lock on/free aim?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My friend plays Apex on PC exclusively with a controller and absolutely carries our team sometimes.

Unless you're doing really quick 180s, I think people overstate the advantage mouse has over a good controller player. It's really not that cut and dry.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That sounds awesome, thank you very much!

I'm a console kid and playing FPS with controller since 20 years so im super comfortable with it.
That's how I've been, a console warrior through and through. I've tried using mouse+keyboard for fps in the past but it's highly uncomfortable for me. In fact the only PC games I've ever played a lot of with those controls have been real time strategy games like Warcraft/StarCraft and the Diablos. Other than that it was the 360 pad no matter what, and now the Xbox One controller. What's wonderful is nowadays PC controllers are so plug and play I rarely ever run into issues getting them to work properly. It's just the odd indie game every now and then that there's some struggle.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My friend plays Apex on PC exclusively with a controller and absolutely carries our team sometimes.

Unless you're doing really quick 180s, I think people overstate the advantage mouse has over a good controller player. It's really not that cut and dry.
You're going to probably get jumped on for saying this blasphemy but I actually agree with ya :)

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It is really cut and dry. Your friend is just good, they would be even better on kb&m if they are able to learn it.

The precision is far greater, the speed of turning and target acquisition is far greater, it's not even a contest overall which input method is better.

Saying this, a good player can still compete with a gamepad, absolutely, but in a 1:1 comparison of equal skill, the kb&m has a decent advantage.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

M+kb has the advantage in raw aiming, but when stuff like powers / abilities come into play in games like Overwatch / Apex and it's not all about who can snap around the fastest, controller isn't as far behind anymore.