• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
We watch it every year around Thanksgiving. It's basically a tradition. Hilarious movie. RIP John Candy.

tumblr_inline_mmpx04iRV01qz4rgp.gif

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic movie for sure. Martin and Candy were the perfect duo for the movie.

Eberts review for the movie is a fantastic read too
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-planes-trains-and-automobiles-1987
One night a few years after "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" was released, I came upon John Candy (1950-1994) sitting all by himself in a hotel bar in New York, smoking and drinking, and we talked for a while. We were going to be on the same TV show the next day. He was depressed. People loved him, but he didn't seem to know that, or it wasn't enough. He was a sweet guy and nobody had a word to say against him, but he was down on himself. All he wanted to do was make people laugh, but sometimes he tried too hard, and he hated himself for doing that in some of his movies. I thought of Del. There is so much truth in the role that it transforms the whole movie. Hughes knew it, and captured it again in "Only the Lonely" (1991). And Steve Martin knew it, and played straight to it.

The movies that last, the ones we return to, don't always have lofty themes or Byzantine complexities. Sometimes they last because they are arrows straight to the heart. When Neal unleashes that tirade in the motel room and Del's face saddens, he says, "Oh. I see." It is a moment that not only defines Del's life, but is a turning point in Neal's, because he also is a lonely soul, and too well organized to know it. Strange, how much poignancy creeps into this comedy, and only becomes stronger while we're laughing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not even Thanksgiving here, but now I have to watch it. Getting all emotional over here and shit already.

Oct 30, 2017
Whats crazy is, every year I mean to watch this and it's on my radar. Total 80s kid here, but I never get around to it. So.. this year I'll fix it and watch tomorrow.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This movie, King Kong Vs Godzilla and Mighty Joe Young were Holiday Traditions in my house as long back as I could remember (obvious PTA came later)

It's important to keep up with traditions.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite movies. One of John Hughes best before he went all home alone and beethoven

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered Blu-ray on Amazon Prime on Sunday. Somehow not receiving it until Friday. Fuck you, Amazon.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just watched it again. So amazing. The revelation at the end still hits hard.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
This is the third reference to this film I've had today (2 from separate family members).

Guess I need to rewatch it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite comedies, it's one of those movies you can just see it on and rewatch it time and again. John Hughes really knew how to nail those movies and John Candy, absolutely love him as an actor.

Every movie he was in he just came off like a genuinely nice and warm guy.

Also for any other John Candy fans I'd recommend Nothing but Trouble if you enjoy b-movie horror/comedies (it's not for everyone). It was a very surreal and over the top movie made back in the early 90's from none other then Dan Aykroyd (who plays a role in the movie as well as a creepy Judge) along with Chevy Chase/Demi Moore and John Candy who plays two roles in the movie, a level headed cop and the Judges daughter (who has the hots for Chevy Chase), always thought it was underrated (slammed by the critics when it came out, Dan Aykroyd never directed another movie after that).

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really fuckin miss John Candy, he's one of my comedy heroes. Was genuinely upset when he died and still a huge fan even now. Planes, Trains... is easily his best film but I love him in everything he's ever been in. I'm glad that he was supposedly an absolute sweetheart in real life too. The last 10mins in Planes, Trains... get me everytime.

Rest in peace big man.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Heh, saw this for the first time yesterday and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Gotta say, I was not prepared for the scene where Steve Martin starts dropping the F bombs, seemed like a wholesome family comedy up until that point lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I really fuckin miss John Candy, he's one of my comedy heroes. Was genuinely upset when he died and still a huge fan even now. Planes, Trains... is easily his best film but I love him in everything he's ever been in. I'm glad that he was supposedly an absolute sweetheart in real life too. The last 10mins in Planes, Trains... get me everytime.

Rest in peace big man.

Yep I feel the same way. I absolutely love Candy and most of his films and roles. I really wish his SCTV stuff was available because I've never seen it before.

Uncle Buck is absolute favorite for me right next to this.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute, is this not on any streaming service this year? What kind of cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit would cause this?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
One of the best movies ever made. It's one of my favourites and something I wish I'd discovered and watched before adulthood.

Same with Uncle Buck

I watched part of it recently

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I love this movie. I think I've seen it for the first time about 4 years ago and it really is one of those "damn I wish I would've watched it earlier" movies.