• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have tried to lower the amount of meat I have and balance things out, I eat vegan a couple of days a week, and I try and cook red meat once or twice a week (and I tend to stretch out that eat over a course of time by freezing some of the meals, and I now eat insects occasionally as snacks. Particularly switching to insect-based protein bars by SENS.

If you're going to try - The chocolate orange one is the best treato (I would genuinely voluntarily choose that over many non-insect based cake bars!), whereas the plain cocoa tastes worse than just plan crickets and I wouldn't recommend at all...Yuck!

I also sometimes buy flavoured insects like salt and vinegar and (I used to have cheese and onion, but I can't eat cheese anymore :( and I believe it to be proper cheese powoder).

Apparently the benefits for protein intake are allegedly amazing so I'm definitely experimenting!

I do believe that insects should move more mainstream - I can't afford to eat more farmed insects than my occasional intake at this moment and I don't think it'll ever replace my main meal time fully (when lab-grown meat is cheap enough to buy in stores I'll probably switch to that). I also couldn't eat live insects either especially with the insides still being squishy - ugh.

Does anyone else eat insects? What are your experiences with them, does anyone have any particular favourite to eat? Would anyone replace insects with their main meals partially if not fully?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
no but i would def try an insect based protein bar

maybe some of those roasted crickets or w/e they are

but i am def down to eat insect if i can't tell it's insect. like insect flour, bars, whatever

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least once or twice a week when biking, yes.

In all seriousness, your protein bar recommendation actually sounds quite alright - I'll check with my local shops if it's something they stock.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
no but i would def try an insect based protein bar

maybe some of those roasted crickets or w/e they are

but i am def down to eat insect if i can't tell it's insect. like insect flour, bars, whatever

I've tried those insect protein based bars. If someone hadn't told me what was in it (or if the bar wasn't named kriket), I wouldn't have been able to tell.

If you are talking about whole insects, I don't think I have worked my courage up yet...

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I am grossed out by insects as food, but if they're added in a way that's not showing off that it's a bug, I wouldn't mind eating them.
Like, a protein bar? Count me in, put as many bugs in there as you want. As long as it's somewhat healthy, tasty, and doesn't contain whole bugs or identifiable bug parts.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried those insect protein based bars. If someone hadn't told me what was in it (or if the bar wasn't named kriket), I wouldn't have been able to tell.

If you are talking about whole insects, I don't think I have worked my courage up yet...
the crickets would be whole, yeah.

they don't look so bad but i've never tried them. i'd def have to work up some courage as well lol

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I tried fried worms in Thailand - they were super salty and tasted like nothing.

At least I got something 'gross' to talk about in parties hah.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I tried crickets some time ago and found out I'm allergic. Turns out if you're sensitive to dust mites there's a good chance you'll react to them as well.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
giphy.gif

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
I have eaten it a few times, but not regularly.
I've eaten some sort of worm burger, which was really good actually.
And i've eaten dried insects (dont know which ones it were) as a snack, but that wasn't really spectacular

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a legit fear of eating insects because of the movie Mouse Trap with Nathan Lane.

Because the dad dies when he eats a roach I've always been afraid of eating food if a bug so much as touches it.

Also that one Goosebumps episode where the dude transforms by eating bugs.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have eaten it a few times, but not regularly.
I've eaten some sort of worm burger, which was really good actually.
And i've eaten dried insects (dont know which ones it were) as a snack, but that wasn't really spectacular

Ooooh, worm burger! Never heard of that! Sounds like something straight from GMM,

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
When I'm at a park or something, I will sometimes pick a cicada shell off a tree and eat it. But otherwise I stay clear.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Ooooh, worm burger! Never heard of that! Sounds like something straight from GMM,
Yeah, it's not regular worms, but don't really know which kind. It was on a festival here and tried it.
Eventually you can throw any kind of meat in a burger and just spice it, big chance you wouldn't even know it's different meat...or insects

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Not regularly, but I've tried some products at events, including fried crickets and unflavored dried mealworms. It was fine. The processed flavored stuff wasn't amazing, but not bad either, the crickets were super salty, and the dried mealworms tasted like some kind of rather bland crisp.

Slap some nice flavoring and spices on that shit and I could myself buying insect products, provided the price point is attractive of course.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Tried Grasshoppers, crunchy as f*ck.

Would replace whey protein with powdered insects in a heartbeat if available.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I ate a fried grasshopper once, tasted really bland bur crunchy. Would try again but only with a dip or something.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had grasshopper tacos. They were fine, but I didn't care for the way they got stuck in your teeth.

I could deal with insect meal, though.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I have eaten crickets at a mexican restaurant. Honestly, they were fine, but they weren't anything impressive. The only real taste they had was the spices that they were mixed in and the texture was nothing noteworthy. I am fine with the idea of using them for food, but I probably would not ever order them myself or cook with them if I have other options available.

I know plenty of food is heavily flavored by spice, but in terms of protein there is usually some underlying meatiness or what not that exists in addition to the spices. When I had the crickets it was literally just a vessel for the spice, and in that case I'd rather have something with a more interesting texture.