• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: dismissive language towards indie gaming and console wars rhetoric
This always happens. Last few years of a generation it's always pretty boring and nothing substantial or nice surprises. We already know what's coming out rest of this generation. Nothing new or exciting gets revealed. All you hear is murmurings about next gen and to tide us over we keep getting boring remasters or rereleases or sequels that have had minimum effort put in like Darksiders 3 or Shadow of Tomb Raider.

Last gen it was just rehashes or sequels towards the end as well. This generation seems to be following the same trend with a lot more remasters. I mean there's some exciting PS4 games still coming out but you can count them on one hand so really not that many but what's worse if I owned an Xbox I'd be totally mad as there is zero on that platform. Crackdown just seems like a rehash and hardly exciting. But there seems to be not much else on there either.

For example I like remasters of good games but it's all I seem to hear when it comes to news stuff. Nothing new or exciting in the past year or so. Or crappy indie games that think they're good because they use pixel art but no one really cares about because they're not actually that good anyway.

It's nice when a new gen happens as the future is ripe for the picking in terms of new IP's and new experiences. But after about 4-5 years it just seems to drop off and it becomes stagnant again and we're in that phase right now it seems.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of games to play always and I have a big backlog but in terms of reveals and announcements it's pretty boring this past year or so and will only continue and get worse until we hit next gen. I mean just look at the last E3 so boring.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nah nintendo directs give me life every two months in terms of gaming news. They always so exciting, hyping, deflatying but wooot another direct !

If only Playstation did bi monthly directs :(

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Quite excited about 2019 for the Switch, and the PlayStation 4 too, albeit without knowing just how many of their first party games will actually be available to play next year.

On the other hand, I am only looking forward to Ori and the Will of the Wisp and the little side expansion for Cuphead on the Xbox One. That's about it really...

It isn't a very 'exciting' console to own in terms of (console) exclusives, despite the promising news of what the next generation may well bring (with the studio acquisitions).

Yeah, I am somewhat inclined to agree with you OP.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Nah nintendo directs give me life every two months in terms of gaming news. They always so exciting, hyping, deflatying but wooot another direct !

If only Playstation did bi monthly directs :(
I find the Nintendo Directs boring too. They present games in a patronising way as if you're a 10yo kid watching it. But I never see anything exciting from them either. Couldn't care less about Smash Bros just another mindless brawler sequel that looks like the last one. Where's all the new IP's or fresher games that haven't had a release in that series for ages like a 2D Metroid, a new Mother RPG or just something really fresh and new like Octopath was etc. Instead we are getting rereleases of Wii U games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda the opposite honestly. This is typically where we get the best games and the ambitious projects that have been cooking since early gen.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not at all, it's disappointing that Sony won't have an event this year and won't be at E3 next year, but there's Nintendo with the Directs and also plenty to look forward to regarding Sony first party titles.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Where's all the new IP's or fresher games that haven't had a release in that series for ages like a 2D Metroid
Samus Returns was just last year... The hell? Lol
something really fresh and new
Daemon x Machina?

Can't really agree overall either. I'm not really hyped that much for next year yet, but this year hasn't been bad. It doesn't feel like we're coming to the end of the gen at all. Maybe it's because I'm PC and Switch.

Mar 23, 2018
3DS and Wii U, or Nintendo in general, had exciting news during their first few years, which were 360 and PS3's later years, although if you didn't care about Nintendo that would explain it. The Vita could also count. Now, the Switch is there, too.

The next Sony Santa Monica game is also rumored to be released on PS4 and I believe Halo and Gears were also confirmed for Xbox One. Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the most anticipated (console) game in years and it's looking veeeeery nice. As for Nintendo, though they're not at the end of their generation, they still gotta show some amazing stuff.

Streaming could become a huge thing in the next couple of years now that there's some huge companies working on it, which is another anticipated subject.

I dunno, I play on PC mainly and I would feel ok playing on any console today. What's the matter?

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Don't care. "Next gen", "new big thing", hype or whatever never made me care.

I was more excited when playing Celeste than hearing about omg 4k gaming with 12345 fps. Graphics are irrelevant, framerate is irrelevant, all that matters is good gameplay at any fidelty.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm kind of annoyed that the implication is we'll be playing these upcoming games on needlessly inferior hardware. TLoU2 and Death Stranding, if they're 'Remasters' or not, will be better on PS5, and you can only play them for the first time once.

And it'll mean the next-gen will start weak, as they always do, and it'll take another five years until we're looking at really incredible stuff again.

It's a bizarre and frustrating cycle that should have ended when Nintendo launched Twilight Princess as cross-gen.

I have no issue with exclusives per first party, but exclusives per generation seems archaic.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 and Bayonetta 3 are coming. Bored is probably not how I'd describe my feelings about this.

Plus we've got Sekiro, Control, The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Halo Infinite, extra characters for my favorite fighting games, and more coming up.

Nah. Can't say I'm bored.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep in theory, but Nintendo's generations and (in the past) handheld generations were out of sync, so there was always a new generation starting, or on the horizon.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda the opposite honestly. This is typically where we get the best games and the ambitious projects that have been cooking since early gen.
This is how I feel as well. First ~1 to 2 years of new console launches tend to be generally tepid for me. I got a ps4 for bloodborne in 2015 but I wouldn't use it again until the witness released almost a year later. Stuff has only been hitting its stride in full force for me in 2017 - 2018.

I guess if someone is more of a tech enthusiast I can empathize. But if it comes to looking forward to stuff to play the beginning of the gen has never been that great for me.
Switch has been an anomaly because it had 2 of the biggest hitters.

SofaJockey

Nov 19, 2017
UK
Live in the moment. You can pointlessly while your life away fixating on things that will happen a year or more in the future.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Nah, the prospect on Switch and Nintendo in general looks pretty bright for 2019 as the platform is still very young.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's some exciting PS4 games still coming out but you can count them on one hand so really not that many but what's worse if I owned an Xbox I'd be totally mad as there is zero on that platform.

Or crappy indie games that think they're good because they use pixel art but no one really cares about because they're not actually that good anyway.

I'm locking this. OP, feel free to start a fresh thread if you can do it without console wars rhetoric and calling all indie games 'crappy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.