• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burbs, City, Country?

• Burbs, Lawnmower and an Outback Steakhouse

Votes: 347 38.4%
  • City Life is Best Life

Votes: 379 41.9%
  • Countryside, Wide-Open Space and the Stars.

Votes: 178 19.7%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Now maybe it's because I grew up in the burbs of Central Florida, but I just cannot stand the thought of suburb life. It's part of why I moved to a city. One day I might be lucky enough to be a homeowner (unlikely), and my ideal home would be a nice brownstone in the city. This is ideal living to me, I'd take it over any mansion in the burbs:

EDIT Added Poll with Countryside option.

8dd579ea302132dbffa351998a9eb9d0.jpg

shutterstock_201591710-54a861-1024x682.jpg

This is HELL:

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F1184449479%2FAerial-view-of-suburban-neighborhood%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

suburban-strip-mall-in-richmond-hill-canada-DEJ01G.jpg

200909-hstconnnow.jpg

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think both have their pluses and minuses. I've lived about half my life in cities and half in the burbs, and I think city life is great when you're in your twenties figuring shit out, but once you actually want to have a family and all, the sheer COST of living in a major city skyrockets so much that if you don't have an AMAZING job and a spouse who ALSO has an amazing job, you're kinda better off raising your kids in the 'burbs.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suburbs are really pretty and such, but they are SOOOO BORING and you have to drive to everythingggg

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I can't stand the suburbs and hope to live in a city some day when I can afford it. There's nothing more irritating to hear on Saturday morning than a chorus of lawnmowers. I'll never understand the desire to own a home with grass that serves no purpose except to make you cut it every week.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I felt that way from 18-30, when I lived in NYC. It was an amazing time in my life.

Now I have 2 young children (and all my friends have kids and left the city) and we own a home in the burbs with a lawn and a good school system. Life is even better now.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I feel the same, OP. I also dream of owning a brownstone or row house in the city. Baby steps, baby. We'll get there.
Right now, my plan is to pick up my life in 6 months and finally get out of this suburban hell I grew up in. Planning to ship ourselves to Chicago.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge fan of suburban life, though being half mile from the beach makes it more tolerable than most suburban settings. I enjoy the peace and quiet and convenience of having everything I need with 15 minutes of my house. Also helps that I only have to drive an hour and I'm in NYC so I can take advantage of the city without having to live there.

City is too hustle and bustle for me, I'm also not rich so it's not realistic to own (NYC)

Oct 26, 2017
Pros and cons, I think.

As a suburbanite, those fully preplanned cookie cutter developments that have houses on top of one another are awful (can be found all over the south and midwest). My town has essentially one or two 'main drags' where the bulk of businesses and restaurants are, which while convenient is a misery to drive thru at times.

I like places in #2 pic but I'm pretty sure that'd be about 2-3x the cost of my current home (if not more) depending on the city.

However much work also goes into a separate house and yard, I'm happy to do it to not share a wall with someone, have space for my dog to run around outside, and have a yard surrounded by trees for privacy.

I think in my teens & 20s I'd be happy in the cities, but getting older I appreciate having 'my own space' much more than convenience and location where the action is.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
City living sounds genuinely miserable to me, but I've lived rural to suburban my whole life.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm kind of the opposite. I hate going into the city, where parking is usually a major problem (along with traffic). I would change my mind if we had a great public transportation system, though.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As one who lived in the city of Cincy, and the suburbs of central Florida, I do prefer the city overall. Largely because mass-transit is handled better by and large. But I think that transit in your state also plays a factor and Florida sucks ass at it. There were at least some burbs in Texas and Virginia where I could catch a decent bus but if you don't have a car in Florida you're fucked. Doesn't help they have the state littered with toll-roads.

Drawback to cities though is it's expensive as hell and the traffic can be ridiculous in the larger metros. I think there can be a balance though, and I'm a big supporter of mixed-use development communities.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint I love the suburbs. Especially during COVID and being able to work from home more.

With kids it is really a nice luxury to have a backyard. That is also great if you like being outside or entertaining people. I like taking the evening walk or bike ride with the family around the block or to the park to shoot some baskets.

There is a lack of stuff to do and you have to go into the city if you want to eat at a great restaurant, but I prefer this to living in the city personally.

Before kids I liked some things about city life, but I really hated the commute. Though now with smart phones the commute on a train or bus sounds almost like a vacation. It was not so great when you were reading an old book or a 2 old day newspaper...

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in my early 30s and can't imagine living in the actual city at this point. Got a dog. Got a girlfriend and would like to have some kids. Wouldn't want to deal with that in the city

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived in rural, urban, and suburban settings and to me, suburban just feels like a mix of the worst parts of the other two while throwing away most of what I like.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
not sure it was intentional but the OP seems to be reacting to the aesthetics of each just as much as the lifestyle. contemporary vs. classical building/architecture.

unfortunately we just can't afford to build Italianate houses anymore.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I felt that way from 18-30, when I lived in NYC. It was an amazing time in my life.

Now I have 2 young children (and all my friends have kids and left the city) and we own a home in the burbs with a lawn and a good school system. Life is even better now.

You are what I fear I might become.

I'm kind of the opposite. I hate going into the city, where parking is usually a major problem (along with traffic). I would change my mind if we had a great public transportation system, though.

Well, any city with shit public transportation would be a no-go for me. You shouldn't have to even own a car in a proper city.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I mean, you're comparing one of the nicest, most expensive urban neighborhoods with million dollar plus brownstones to an ugly planned community, commercial properties and a parking lot. Of course one is going to look more appealing than the other positioned like that.

There are definitely pros and cons having lived in both, depending on the stage of life you're in. If you hate the noise of lawnmowers for example, replace that with sirens and car horns on the other side of the coin. Mostly worth noting that small towns and home ownership outside of cities can absolutely be more aesthetically pleasing, nature filled and private than the pic in the OP.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot, CANNOT stand them. I will happily pay for rent in an apartment building here in NYC ten times over going far out for a few extra square feet of space. I also need to feel like I can use my own two feet to get what I need. I do not want to rely on my car.

I'll add this is with a 4 year old. I honestly can't fathom raising her away from the city life.

Nov 8, 2017
I can't understand why anyone would want to live in a place where you pretty much need a car to get anywhere, but maybe I'm biased as someone who doesn't (and will never) drive.

Oct 25, 2017
Suburbs in the 1970s sense, fucking suck. Sprawling cul-de-sac developments with highways dividing every crossing road and no accessible to way access anything without a car are truly awful

We could have built suburban developments properly with proper walking, downtowns, etc but NOPE y'all needed you're god damn 5000 square foot homes on half an acre with your garbage chemical laiden lawns.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Before kids I liked some things about city life, but I really hated the commute. Though now with smart phones the commute on a train or bus sounds almost like a vacation. It was not so great when you were reading an old book or a 2 old day newspaper...
Phones etc make that commute better but it still sucks to lose a couple of hours from your day. It's that lost time that I've got back during WFH that had been such a game changer for my quality of life.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
American Suburbs are indeed an absolute failure of urban design that was purposefully manufactured to breed car-dependency, which is also why almost no other country has suburbs of this kind. Its absolutely unheard of in the country Im from.

Its completely amazing to me when I found out that for Americans, they only really know "suburbs" and "city". You dont have the kind of villages that Im used to in my country and imo those are the best way to life.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
I grew up in Midwest suburbs and now live in a townhouse in Seattle. Love it! My suburban friends all think it's dumb to spend so much for less space but they don't appreciate how awesome it is to be able to walk and ebike everywhere. I only put like 20 miles a month on my car (which will go down to nothing outside trips when new train stations open up in a month). I love that there are tons of great cafes and coffee shops and weird stores nearby.

The thing is, living in the "city" doesn't have to mean living downtown im financial districts. The best part of cities are the cozy neighborhoods. Your experience living in a city varies a ton depending on what part of the city you live in.

Backyards are overrated compared to giant parks and rooftop decks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand why anyone would want to live in a place where you pretty much need a car to get anywhere, but maybe I'm biased as someone who doesn't (and will never) drive.

During COVID there is nothing I want less than to be stuck on the Red Line next to strangers who I have no way of knowing whether they're vaccinated or not, especially given people's predilections for coughing or sneezing directly on me while on public transit.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in the country in a rural area and that to me was hell. It was boring, you're too far away from everything and no one around you. That may sound awesome to some, and the peace and quiet was nice, but I hated feeling so cut off from everyone.

Now I live in the suburbs in a decent sized town in Ohio and I like that a lot more. Life just seems more convenient.

When my sister got older she moved to the country and wanted to continue living that way and I ran to the suburbs. However, if I had my way now, living in a small city on the East coast in the New England states would probably be my wish.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The driving.
I always do a black comedic chuckle to myself when I go meet my friends for drinks and it's a room full of people drinking away to hop in their cars because they gotta drive home. It's not hard to notice they are going as hard as they would at a midtown bar at 2am, even though they need to drive 20 miles afterwards. Not to say small towns don't have a drinking culture and similar problems, but it seems exponentially amplified in suburbs around big urban areas because of the drinking culture an urban area brings...big dinner out we drinking, someone's birthday we drinking, sporting events drinking, bowling we drinking, you can drink in the movies now...

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You are what I fear I might become.

I was terrified at the thought of life after the city but there is a truly fun & fulfilling life on the other side.

Parenthood is a lot of incredible things but it is sacrifice, too. Part of that is understanding that what was a great living situation for single men in their 20s is not always the best for children. Just enjoy your time there now and cross this bridge when you get here.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you're comparing one of the nicest, most expensive urban neighborhoods with million dollar plus brownstones to an ugly planned community, commercial properties and a parking lot. Of course one is going to look more appealing than the other positioned like that.

There are definitely pros and cons having lived in both, depending on the stage of life you're in. If you hate the noise of lawnmowers for example, replace that with sirens and car horns on the other side of the coin. Mostly worth noting that small towns and home ownership outside of cities can absolutely be more aesthetically pleasing, nature filled and private than the pic in the OP.

My parents live in an ultra rich gated community in Central Florida. It's the same shit, just a different color of paint. Hate it.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Suburbs are antithetical to human happiness. You put people in large, isolated dwellings with huge lawns and driveways and garages that further separate neighbors from each other. It discourages exercise and makes driving mandatory. It's shameful how suburb sprawl eats up land that could be used to create flourishing, happy communities.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I appreciate the tranquility. And I'm close enough to the city that I can just drive there on a whim if I want the entertainment.

Also, not all suburbs look as lifeless and bland as that picture. Some can look quite pleasant.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Opposite for me. Have lived a lot in various cities and now looking forward to buying in the burbs. I grew up in the countryside as a kid so for me they're a nice balance between the two.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I like a mix these days. I just bought a single family house with a lawn and the whole shebang. There's a mix of duplex, single story, townhouses and dense apartments around the block. I have three bus stops nearby. I have some amazing restaurants and coffee shops at a 10 minute walking distance at best. The Core of the downtown Orlando area is about 5 minutes away on car, 25 minutes walking.

is this considered a suburb or still city life? I feel it's like an in between but I don't know the term. I just know it's perfect for me and my wife. It's like the perfect balance haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, once you've lived in a city and are used to having things to do and places being walkable, it's hard to go back
Also, I don't know why the assumption is city = loud

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They both have their ups and downs. Outside of major cities, there are still thousands of small towns across the US that have a ton of charm and a lot of cute subdivisions that don't look like cookie cutter hellscapes. You sacrifice an enormous amount of social activities and walkable solutions to what you need by leaving the city, but it's also wonderful to have a little house that's all your own and a yard to chill out in. No landlord bullshit. No people above or below you. No city traffic. It's actually kind of great in an idyllic sense.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Im good in CT. Too much nature almost always all to myself here. Crazy how secretly beautiful this state is. Biking, fishing, hiking, sailing, etc. And a quick train ride into NYC.

When I was in college I felt that way about the suburbs though.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I like them both. I love living in the middle of New york, and interacting with many people. At the same time, I love upstate where you can just get away from all the rush.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I grew up in a small town and our house was on a couple acre lot. I had a lot of space around but it took a while to get anywhere important.

I live in Metro Detroit now and while it would be nice to have a little bit bigger house and yard, it's been great. Kids love to be outside and in the backyard. I could never live in a bigger city in a brownstone like that. That sounds awful to me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I've grown used to it and learned to embrace it, although I'm now sort of aware of how much better things could be.

This whole channel :v
(And he's right)

This channel blew my mind over just how badly designed and implemented the modern North American suburb really is.
That all being said, I don't think I'd ever be willing to give up the urban/suburban life. As much as I may harp on things like traffic and whatnot, I kinda crave the hustle and bustle.

Last edited: