• We have completed a significant site update. Come see what's new!
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Anyone else dislike how soft game image quality looks nowadays?

Orb

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I genuinely cannot tell the difference between any of the above examples even looking at them side-by-side

maybe I should feel grateful that I don't notice this, because if I did it would probably bother the shit out of me

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely cannot tell the difference between any of the above examples even looking at them side-by-side

maybe I should feel grateful that I don't notice this, because if I did it would probably bother the shit out of me
Are you watching them in full screen? Look at the grass in the first picture and the tile mosaic/window area in 2nd. Its basically like passing the entire image through a soft blur.

Orb

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Are you watching them in full screen? Look at the grass in the first picture and the tile mosaic/window area in 2nd.
Yes, I can see a slight difference in the grass texture now that you mention it. But I definitely wouldn't have noticed that if you didn't point it out.

(To be clear, I'm only talking about the Siege examples directly before my post, some of the others in the thread I can clearly tell the difference.)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I can see a slight difference in the grass texture now that you mention it. But I definitely wouldn't have noticed that if you didn't point it out.

(To be clear, I'm only talking about the Siege examples directly before my post, some of the others in the thread I can clearly tell the difference.)
Yea that's the softness most people refer to when they say "Siege is blurry af" it's not really "blurs the whole image" but rather that high frequency details are not as noticeable. But that's also in part due to the game's assets themselves being created with mostly low frequency details. This is actually also something that holds true for other games because devs want to avoided shader aliasing and it helps them achieve a CG look rather than a game-y look

This is what happens when assets are not specifically created with low frequency details and you compare TAA Vs non TAA. The non TAA version has a very unstable image quality in movement due to assets having an absurd amount of high frequency details (as in lots of sheen and granual tiny details) but is considerably more crisp.

SMAA:

FXAA + TAA