• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I'm counting minutes until I can play again.

This. I'm only on chapter 2, but it's already enough for me to know how much I love this game. The wife has a 3 day weekend so I haven't got a chance to sink my teeth in as much as I wanted, but I'm in absolute love.

I do understand the frustrations people are having with it, but none of it bothers me. I love the realism to it all.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I don't like the controls, movement or micro managing all kinds of stupid stuff. I returned to playing AC also. I gave it a shot but it's probably not a good game for me. I'll try it out again after I am done with AC.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
This is another issue I have with it, the game really doesn't respect your time. As many of us work full time and have other responsibilities, games like these become harder to invest in.
Totally. If I wasn't workin 40 hour weeks and didn't have three kids and a wife at home who demands my time when I get done with work, this game would be perfect! :) I just need to send me family somewhere for a week and take a week of PTO, then I can fully enjoy this game :)

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
No, it might be the most remarkable piece of software I've ever played, even if it's not necessarily the "best game" I've ever played.

Also, the number of threads on this game may be exceeding a reasonable threshold.

It's quickly becoming my favorite game of all time, so no not at all.

It's been a long time since a game has grabbed my attention like this.

Nope. This game is a masterpiece.

I'm curious, since all 3 of you seem enamored with the game, what are your main criticisms, if any?

I don't like the controls, movement or micro managing all kinds of stupid stuff. I returned to playing AC also. I gave it a shot but it's probably not a good game for me. I'll try it out again after I am done with AC.

I might do the same, especially if they patch out some of the current issues.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I played for a little while at launch, got kind of bored of the snow walking, then stopped until last night. I hopped back on and got super into it and played for hours.

I'm completely on board now.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of thought about it, but forced myself to keep going, and once I got some of the mechanics down better and 'understood' how the game plays a bit more, I'm really enjoying it.

First couple of hours were pretty rough though.
Pretty much this
the Prologue and not until the first chapter the gameplay is sluggish, slow and heavily padded

But once you are over the hump, there is a bit of speed increase as you adapt to the setting.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I was struggling during the first two days tbh but it has clicked with me hard on day 3 and I'm in love.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Not quite, but I'm certainly having trouble adapting to the controls and sluggish character movement. Surprised that wasn't an issue for more reviewers.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I finished the game on Thursday (started playing a week ago for review), but starting a new playthrough tonight.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't gotten to play it yet but I'm shocked that you'd want to go back to something like Assassin's Creed. Good looking and playing game (a lot smoother movement wise these days) but man I was really bored with that after only an hour.

Genesis

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar built a goddamn time machine.

Come back to it when you want to find a world to get lost in.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite yet, but I'm definitely pushing myself to keep at it. The game just seems way more concerned with its technical ambitions than it is with being a well designed game, and while I can certainly appreciate that it is a technical marvel, it just seems so poorly thought out in so many areas related to actually playing it, that I don't know if I'll want to keep going past the 5 hours or so that I've played so far. Despite being polished to hell from a presentation standpoint, the game seems decidedly unpolished from a game design standpoint.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the greatest game i've ever played.

Haven't even done a mission yet past the prologue, i've just been exploring and marvelling at how surprising the world and characters can be.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Nah game just keeps getting better the more I play it. I'm sitting here at work wishing I was home playing. I don't really get that way with games these days.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I haven't gotten to play it yet but I'm shocked that you'd want to go back to something like Assassin's Creed. Good looking and playing game (a lot smoother movement wise these days) but man I was really bored with that after only an hour.

I think it's difficult for me to play open world games where you can't climb literally every surface after BotW lol

Rockstar built a goddamn time machine.

Come back to it when you want to find a world to get lost in.

See, that's how I feel about Odyssey but I think the setting just appeals more to me than the old West

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, since all 3 of you seem enamored with the game, what are your main criticisms, if any?

I might do the same, especially if they patch out some of the current issues.

I've spent 40 hours since launch.

My criticisms:
  • Bounty/wanted system is confounding
  • Rockstar controls aren't great
  • Camp stuff is so poorly explained I thought I was playing Monster Hunter World again
That's it. Right now, it's my favorite game this generation. Only 40 hours in, so who knows what happens after that.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
This is the nature of hype: It's not a real thing. It's a shared delusion people use to get through boring days.

Red Dead 2 is just a game. Some will like it, some won't. Nothing will bring back your first time play or nostalgic view of the last game.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
When I'm not playing it I want to be playing it so hell no I'm not over it lol.

This is the nature of hype: It's not a real thing. It's a shared delusion people use to get through boring days.

Ok lol. Hype exists for anything that is excitedly anticipated and is a double edged sword. In fact I think hype hurts more than it helps because rarely does something live up to hype. This game had unreal hype and has been largely praised which is a hell of a feat.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The only real criticism I have is that there's no Liar's Dice. :P

But yeah, I can't stop playing. The world/atmosphere, characters, missions, soundtrack, etc are all amazing so far. The gunplay and physics are also really great and a big improvement from GTA V imo.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might be. I'm taking a break from the game after 5 hours because the controls are shit and a lot of the systems feel like busy work instead of fun. Maybe after a week off I'll be able to look at the game with fresh eyes, but so far I am having zero fun with it.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Start was boring. It is a slow riding/walking behind an NPC simulator. It overloads you with crap, all the button combinations are fiddly as fuck, everything feels sluggish when they force you to go slow in populated areas because of the overzealous wanted mechanic.

The karma system sucks as well, why do I lose karma for events that people don't see. I came across a guy trying to fix his horses shoe and it kicked him to death and I lose karma for looting his body in the middle of nowhere. I'm part of a gang that robs, steals and kills. Why even is there a karma system?

Don't even get me started on the micromanage-y stuff.

I was super hyped for this game and now I have to force myself to play it, it feels like a slog.

sandworms

Oct 7, 2018
In the beginning I hated it, but forced myself to get through the intro because I knew once the world opened up and I could off on my own it would get a lot better. The controls have taken a lot of getting used to though, and as usual the shooting in a Rockstar game is really bad. I'm about 20 hours in and still don't really understand the core systems. But generally more often than not I'm looking forward to my next play session.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It got off to a VERY slow start, but much like the freight train that it is, it just needed to break that inertia and get the momentum going. I am still feeling a little bothered by the slow pacing, but the overwhelming amount of sheer STUFF that I wanna try out and explore is quickly eclipsing the pacing concerns. There is enough happening story wise right now to hold my interest, and my personal list of things to dive deeper into is growing. Only have about 5 hours in so far, and am looking forward to many, many more.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to play more of Hitman and Forza Horizon 4 than red dead, even though I loved the first one. I think the slower pace and movement make it more boring to me (even agent 47 acts and moves faster).

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I played for about 5 hours or so, and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I suspect those that feel the need to do every little thing the game presents will find themselves overwhelmed and maybe put off, but I'm taking my sweet time and just enjoying it. I suppose if I were pressured to finish it within some fixed timeframe, I'd be more irritated by some of the fussier aspects, but that's all currently being drowned out by what RDR2 gets so very right.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, I've never played anything even remotely like it.

And people deriding the gun play mystify me; it's some of the best I've encountered.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a dull game but not as dull as RDR thankfully. I kind of feel like we should be harder on the controls and movement now than 8 years ago though given how everyone else has evolved in that area.
People have accepted that Rockstar is stubborn about the controls/movement and have grown to tolerate it while the biggest critics of Rockstar's controls since GTA 4 have just stopped playing their games.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to force myself to play a bit into chapter 3. But I'll probably be done.

For the record, I loved Rdr1 and GTA 5. This is seriously one of the most boring games i played all year

Status
Not open for further replies.