• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Because I am. I LOVED the first game, probably in my top 20 games of all time. GTA V is also one of my favorite games. I wanted to love this game so much but it makes itself so hard to love. Beyond the amazingly-crafted open world, the gameplay is marred by sluggish and counter-intuitive controls, unlikable characters that seem irredeemable despite the title of the game, and a sense of realism that goes so far that it circles back around and actually breaks immersion.

I'm going back to Assassin's Creed Odyssey, at least until Smash comes out. Focusing on one game for an entire month is something I haven't been able to do in a long time.

Anyone else putting the game down after just one weekend with it?

EDIT: For all of you that are loving it, more power to you and I'm glad you can appreciate what is obviously a technical marvel!

Last edited:

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of thought about it, but forced myself to keep going, and once I got some of the mechanics down better and 'understood' how the game plays a bit more, I'm really enjoying it.

First couple of hours were pretty rough though.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I kind of thought about it, but forced myself to keep going, and once I got some of the mechanics down better and 'understood' how the game plays a bit more, I'm really enjoying it.

First couple of hours were pretty rough though.

I agree, and I got past those first few hours and even once the game opened up, I found myself both bored and overwhelmed at the same time. Going forward in this game feels like it will become more of a chore to me than fun.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I woke up before work to play it a bit and try out things.

You can lasso a deer and then pull it close and cut its throat. Also, double tapping the gun Holster button you'll do a little flourish when putting your gun away.

This game is nuts.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite finished like you are, but on day 2 I'd already told someone I'd sell him my copy for $20 when I was done with it. Probably just gonna end up doing the main story and then move on.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, love it. I actually dreamed about it last night. I'm a grown ass man and that doesn't happen and hasn't happened in like 15 years at the least.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dull game but not as dull as RDR thankfully. I kind of feel like we should be harder on the controls and movement now than 8 years ago though given how everyone else has evolved in that area.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You tend to have to play through the story to see the redemption part come through. That whole character development thing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought about quitting on Saturday night. the game kept putting me to sleep and i found myself browing the internet after putting my kids to sleep instead of playing red dead. i wasted three precious hours on the internet watching stupid youtube videos because i just couldnt get myself to start it over again. i decided to either sell it or give it to my brother so he can play it instead.

then the next morning i decided to give it another shot. played only story missions and got into some good gunfights in chapter 2. the fast travel system is bullshit so unlocking that didnt help at all. hunting is tedious and not fun. treasure hunts are tedious and not fun. open world side quests are not fun.

so im just going to stick to the narrative and see where that gets me.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
How far along are you OP?

Mid chapter 3

You tend to have to play through the story to see the redemption part come through. That whole character development thing.

I get that. JFC can't anyone respond anymore without being a snarky dick? What I'm saying is that I KNOW what happens to many of these characters based on the first game, and most of them are indeed irredeemable. Arthur especially makes it really difficult to connect with him.

Umdlye

Oct 27, 2017
I like everything I've played and seen so far and definitely not done with it yet, the lack of fast travel is getting a bit of a drag though.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Unlikeable characters... how far did you play? Controls suck but you get used to them after a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the realism hurdle is hard to get over for sure. Especially controls for me.

But I've slowly been acclimating, and fuck me, it's getting kinda amazing....

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I absolutely despised my first 10 hours. I was miserable micromanaging survival game mechanics, sitting through prolonged exposition dumps and trying to adjust to the convulted control scheme and character handling but the second I began
playing Poker in place of the priest, then hunting down the gunslingers
I finally fell in love and haven't been able to pull myself away from it since.

That early game pacing and the explanation for the mechanics is utter trash but once the game gets going, it's going.

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably my GOTG so far. Immersive worlds are the #1 reason I love gaming and RDR2 is the most immersive game world I've ever seen. I totally understand some of the issues some people have with it but to me it's an embarrassment of riches. It feels like some people are getting really hung up on all of the systems but I don't feel like they've impeded on my enjoyment of the game.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently forcing myself to keep going.

Feel like I'm at the tipping point.

Either the game grabs me in my next session or it throws more bullshit at me and I drop it.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I usually finish games in one weekend so with RDR being so much bigger I feel it's a worthy investment. The story is so good. Starting Chapter 4 now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't my favorite game ever, but I'm enjoying it well enough to keep playing. It doesn't need to be a binary "best game ever" or "this is terrible". To me, this is a totally fine game, that I'm enjoying an average amount. In my personal tastes, it's a solid 7.5, and that's fine.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda with you on this one, OP. The sluggishness of movement when on foot or on a horse is a bit off putting. That, and the mechanics to open cabinets and drawers is mind numbing. I have very limited game time each week and taking 10 button presses to loot a cabinet is getting old.
I understand that this is the game and what they are going for, but it just doesn't fit what I'm looking for at this time. I'll keep plugging away, but it's been tough so far to get into it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Got to chapter 3, strongly dislike how it controls and for whatever reason Rockstar games just don't do it for me. Always willing to give it a go though and like GTAV, it'll be online that I'll mess around in more than SP.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It was really hard to get into. I played the first hour on Saturday and then turned it off and watched Netflix the rest of the day. I really had to force myself to push through to chapter 2. Holy shit was the intro boring. You're just holding forward and tapping x to slowly move through snow for like 2 hours. Fucking gross.

I'm loving it now though.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Best game I've ever played 20 hours in, and still on chapter 2, just 'cause I love being in that world so much. Too bad for you is all I have to say, you're missing out.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only completed two missions and I immediately cringed when I saw the bronze medal at the end of mission. The inner "do better, must 100%" guy in me hated to know he would have to go back and try again to get the gold.

I don't know, it's slow right now but RDR was also slow at first too. It picked up the pace and became really fun so I have the hope there. Not a fan of the stamina meter that's been around since GTA 3.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's slow as hell which really makes it hard for me to sit down with it. My gaming sessions are 30 minutes max due to family and kids, and it takes that long to do anything in the game. I never thought I was going to get out of the snow.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Kinda with you on this one, OP. The sluggishness of movement when on foot or on a horse is a bit off putting. That, and the mechanics to open cabinets and drawers is mind numbing. I have very limited game time each week and taking 10 button presses to loot a cabinet is getting old.
I understand that this is the game and what they are going for, but it just doesn't fit what I'm looking for at this time. I'll keep plugging away, but it's been tough so far to get into it.

This is another issue I have with it, the game really doesn't respect your time. As many of us work full time and have other responsibilities, games like these become harder to invest in.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
40+ hours and still in chapter 3. Never enjoyed a game this much before.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im done as in its pretty much just another western open world game. Plus I hate the way it controls. Its so sluggish to move Arthur around. I just finished Uncharted 4 and I miss Drake already.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No, it might be the most remarkable piece of software I've ever played, even if it's not necessarily the "best game" I've ever played.

Also, the number of threads on this game may be exceeding a reasonable threshold.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
It's quickly becoming my favorite game of all time, so no not at all.

It's been a long time since a game has grabbed my attention like this.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And I haven't even started yet. I am grinding my way through Ass Creed Odyssey and can't wait to play RDR 2. I'm enjoying Assassin's Creed Odyssey a lot actually and hyped as hell to play RDR 2 but all these mixed impressions regarding some of the systems in the game has me a little worried. Still can't wait to play.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I'm actually enjoying playing as a horrible low life criminal, its what rockstar does best. Every other game is about heroes saving the world, its good to have variety.

Can't wait to get back on it.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The start of the game was really really slow but Chapter 2 upwards the game start to pickup and gets really good by the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.