• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I get not being able to play multiplayer games due to server issues.

But a back-end server issue essentially preventing you from using your console at all? That's some shit, and exactly why people are afraid of an "always online" console.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Xbox One's OS is dependent on your internet connection to some degree. It's why folks can sometimes speed up dash performance by changing DNS settings.

That said, it's absolutely silly to me that the entire UI can be affected by their services. Especially when we know there's a local version that you can access by going offline.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I did the factory restart, but it didn't register me pressing the A button during setup. I'm hoping that that issue is related to the server shit and that it'll be fixed.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes as things like this never happen on PSN. Stop with this crap please.

People are misunderstanding me. I have an X and a pro. I am only happy I got it on pro (I usually get 3rd party on x) because no work today from cold. So I am happy I can play it no problems today,It isn't an "Xbox sucks!" post at all . Guess I shoulda made it clearer

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I am an Xbox employee.

To provide as much transparency as I can, this was a service issue that caused an unexpected failure on the console - it exposed a serious bug in the shell that we are in the process of fixing so that any future service issues of this ilk at least result in a console in an offline state. Consoles set as Home consoles would then still be able to play offline.

The service issue is being rolled back, and rebooting the console (either into connected standby or a full shutdown) will resolve the issue.

-Oscar

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

To provide as much transparency as I can, this was a service issue that caused an unexpected failure on the console - it exposed a serious bug in the shell that we are in the process of fixing so that any future service issues of this ilk at least result in a console in an offline state. Consoles set as Home consoles would then still be able to play offline.

The service issue is being rolled back, and rebooting the console (either into connected standby or a full shutdown) will resolve the issue.

-Oscar

Thanks for the update.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
wait, the first thing you tried wasn't a reboot op?

that's like, basic life sense 101 lol

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

-Oscar

Thanks for the update. Good to hear what happened won't leave consoles in this state again.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

-Oscar

Thanks for the update.

Mine is working at the moment after the reboot

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, this was a failure of unprecedented levels. I've been reading reports of many people flat out factory resetting their consoles because they thought it was broken. Something like this should never, ever happen.

Glad to see OscarK's post informing that they are in the process of addressing the issue.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this was a failure of unprecedented levels. I've been reading reports of many people flat out factory resetting their consoles because they thought it was broken. Something like this should never, ever happen.

Glad to see OscarK's post informing that they are in the process of addressing the issue.

I'm fairly certain that I downloaded an iOS update once that basically bricked my phone for a day. That was truly some hot garbage.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

As far as factory resetting, it sounds more extreme than it is thanks to all the cloud stuff. Still annoying but not as annoying as you'd expect.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you sincerely think this issue is of unprecedented levels, you must be really new to gaming.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to wait the five hours it'll take to download the game again just so I can find out if my save game will work.
Well shit happens. Unless if you are tweeting/contacting Microsoft complaining about it here isn't going to help.

Also, 5 hours for a 25 GB game? Is your internet speed really that slow? Honest question.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I had no idea the Xbox One does a service check on start up that was significant enough to completely disable the console. That seems only mildly concerning...
Not surprised. I mean, a while back a lot of users were left with a console that couldn't load anything at all (games or apps), even in offline mode for like a whole day. I was one of them and yes, this my xbox is my home console.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
So would it be best to unplug and plug the console back in later today? Or should I just boot up the console as per usual since it could be squared away in the coming hours?