• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Posted on behalf of CurseoftheGods courtesy of the Adopt-A-User program, Gaming Edition.

NOTE: Do you also have a thread you felt like that is worth posting, but you lack the posting capabilities to do so? Give the volunteers at Adopt-A-User a call, and we will assess whether or not your thread is deemed worthy of ERA ;)

Now, on to the thread!

there is something about this game

for full disclosure, ocarina of time was my previous best of

but breath of the wild... this game is incredible

i can still start it up 6 months after launch and feel an incredible feeling of wanderlust

this game induces an incredible feeling of exploration, and the puzzles and music definitely top it up

games like these make me happy to be still playing video games

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

Still the 2nd best Zelda game though.

Majora's Mask is no1.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, but I've played many games like it before it came. So,that didn't help. I prefer Oblivion to BoTW, more and better story/quests, more RPG elements, magic, deeper world/lore.

However, BoTW is excellent no doubt.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an incredible game to be sure. I had a smile on my face the entire time playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good.
Not a even a lukewarm take, it's the critical and general consensus.

It's a pretty magical game. The amount of interactivity and surprises the game constantly gives you is insane.

It has some rough edges but I loved it. Can't wait for the DLC

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
by design and how much interactive it was (best thing about gaming is interactivity) I'll say yes.

but there are other favorites of mine with strengths in other aspects like story and music.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
How is the story? Story in Zelda games are not very deep, but I remember I was really moved by the atmosphere and plot of Ocarina and Majoras. They were beautiful cutting edge games at the time that felt cinematic and larger-than-life.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and I feel the same way about Odyssey. It's insane to think I got two of my favorite games of all time within the same year.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Still has areas it could improve on though.

How is the story? Story in Zelda games are not very deep, but I remember I was really moved by the atmosphere and plot of Ocarina and Majoras. They were beautiful cutting edge games at the time that felt cinematic and larger-than-life.
The atmosphere is there like Oot and MM, but don't go in expecting a deep story, like you said. The plot is about as deep as OoT. Narrative really takes a back seat in BotW.

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing a rather bullshit portion of Odyssey, Breath of the Wild continues to stand out more and more as GOTY for me. I just remember how magical it felt to be given the freedom to do whatever and problem solve my way out of sticky situations (like using bombs in strategic areas to create a diversion when I had no weapons, and was close to being detected by enemies).

Both games have aspects that they can improve on though but wow, talk about having two great games in one year.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Breath of the Wild is, from it's impact, the successor to what Ocarina of Time did for the series in the N64 days. It was the best game I played 2017 and it will most likely land in my Top 15 is they deliver a great DLC next month.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think lots of people feel this way, it doesn't get its praises for nothing.

I wish I could see you the way the OP and those like them do. I feel like I'm missing something when I play it and don't get those feelings.

For me it's ok, but it loses too much of what I like about Zelda. I still think it's good, but it probably wouldn't break into a top 10 greatest for me personally.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I guess so. I think Baldurs Gate 2 also gave me that feeling back in the day, and Goldeneye too. recency bias ?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those rare games that just speaks to my soul like few others ever have, so yes. :)

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I completely agree.

A video game hasn't captured me like that in ages.

410 hours going strong!

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW is my favorite game of the past 10 years, and by far my favorite open world game ever.

So, yes, people agree with you.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, only Majora's Mask and Ninja Gaiden Black are above it for me right now. BotW can still rise on my list but it's unlikely at this point. Number 3 aint bad at all.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
I like Ocarina of Time better, structure wise (dungeons, unbreakable weapons and the way you unlock them, etc...) But the open world is better in BotW.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your question starts with "Anyone else feel like" or "Am I the only one"....yes, other people feel like you and no, you are not the only one.

And this isn't even getting into the fact that you're asking about flippin' Breath of the Wild!

To answer your question: Yes, it is one of the best games I've ever played. It is my Game of the Year. It is my Game of the Generation. It is the best game I've played in over a decade, easily.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
You're the only one OP/junior OP is posting for. Literally nobody else on the entire planet likes the game, let alone considers it one of the greats.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely one of the better games I've played in the last four years....but not overall for the time I've been gaming.

Also the "Am I the only one....?" threads are kinda dumb imo, of course there will be people that feel the same way as you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redneckerz
And this one made the cut, huh?

Yes, BotW is extremely good.
Taken into consideration the section of the site, yes. My personal opinion in regards to how it is worded isnt relevant.
Also, the ;) is obviously there for a reason ;)

Secondly, I have just started doing this so essentially im still a ''newbie'' when it comes to helping people out with their posts. Sometimes ill ask further clarifications, especially at Etcetera where things are a little bit more ''sensitive'' sort to say. For Gaming ill be a lil bit more laid back, but ill keep any criticism towards my template (Ill like to keep consistency) seriously and ill ask some more details the next time because i do realize this is more of an ''i agree'' thread than anything else.

Thank you regardless!

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
It certainly felt that way for the first 20-25 hours and then the magic just dropped off a cliff for me. The repetitive exploration and enemy encounters and uninteresting story became immediately apparent afterI completed the second Divine Beast.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Game is great especially for someone who hasn't beat a Zelda games in a while.

But the game could really really use some improvements ( dungeons my dinegons !!!)