• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is the strangest thing.

Every cod I believe has had an extended single player gameplay reveal. Infinite Warfare and blops 3 at Sony conferences.
I believe they showed off the other cods at xbox conferences too, right?

This year was different though. At Sony, they decided to show off some random mp trailer for WW2.

OK....

Now here we are. Literally 1 day before release.
A patch blocking access to single player footage.
And we have almost nothing. We had a trailer a few months ago, then that's it. We haven't seen 1 second of gameplay from the sp.

Even Sony Paris games week. Another MP focused trailer. Wut?

Is this a new strategy from Activision or something? Is this supposed to hype us up?
This is the first cod I actually want to play from the sp.
But I ain't preordering this shit blind.

Kinda worried the sp is dogshit or something. Or some stupid ass gimmick.

I dunno. It would crush me if the sp sucked. I've wanted a WW2 cod for years and years. The kind of bombastic gameplay only cod gives.
No one else find this weird?

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't shake the feeling that this years campaign is going to be flat out bad.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Well Sony was focused on trailers this year so there wasn't much room for a demo at their conference. When they did demos, it was to show games that hadn't had much shown yet. You don't really need to sell a Call of Duty campaign anymore, we get it. I know there were behind closed doors demos at E3 and preview events, and SHG talked at length about how they did a lot to deliver a solid story. I wouldn't be worried. Probably just didn't feel the need to showcase an actual demo. They've had quite a few story trailers focused on characters and what not, I've avoided them because I want to go in blind. Also, there's nothing blocking the campaign anymore to my knowledge. The whole game was inaccessible until Sunday or Monday but it should be available now unless you're referring to something else I'm unaware of.

Bad Luigi

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really notice until you pointed it out but yeah, that is disconcerting. Maybe single player will be less of a focus than in years past (if that's even possible).

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The trailers we've seen still make me hopeful the sp will not be an afterthought.

The TV ad still doesn't feature actual gameplay but has more bits of cutscenes.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I do.

Was like the first time ever that they didn't have a big splashy E3 demo.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this stuff get sent to Youtubers a few days before release date ??, It is strange nothing has been shown of it

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably to avoid spoiling single player and showing too much?

They haven't shown zombies either.

I think the secrecy it's part of the marketing. You'll see tons of new info and impressions on release day.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
A little bit, yeah. Although, as someone who always enjoys the MP but was left disappointed by it in Infinite Warfare, it's the online element I'm hoping is a return to form this year.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not really, COD is pretty much only bought for the Multiplayer these days so it makes sense to focus on that.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I buy COD for the singleplayer, i think we've actually seen quite a bit from the single player through the cinematic trailers, that's part of the story. Granted we have not seen actual shooting gameplay, but i think infinite warfare as a campaign was pretty cool so im not all that worried

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I am aware, Call of Duty: Black Ops II did not have a pre-release campaign gameplay trailer. Nor did Black Ops III. Nor did Ghosts.

To my knowledge, showing a chunk of gameplay pre-release was something Activision mimicked from Battlefield, since EA released 17 minutes of Battlefield 4 campaign footage back in 2013 and it worked really well for them. (Battlefield 4 had a great campaign. Take that, haters.)

Probably to avoid spoiling single player and showing too much?
Same reason we've seen barely any Squadron 42 footage and Cloud Imperium Games keep showing Star Citizen footage instead.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I am aware, Call of Duty: Black Ops II did not have a pre-release campaign gameplay trailer. Nor did Black Ops III. Nor did Ghosts.

To my knowledge, showing a chunk of gameplay pre-release was something Activision mimicked from Battlefield, since EA released 17 minutes of Battlefield 4 campaign footage back in 2013 and it worked really well for them. (Battlefield 4 had a great campaign. Take that, haters.)

CoD has done a e3 level demo every year since MW2 until this year.

Flamin' Galah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how little of the player base actually play and complete the single player portion of the games, I don't see any issue with the lack of footage for the campaign.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Not really,most buy CODs for multi anyways. But that doesn't mean that SP will be bad imo.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
When they relased their COD games on the Wii we wouldn't even see a single screenshot of them until people had retail copies in their hands and could look at the back of the case, so not a surprise.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like we've seen very little of the game in general, but I'm not too worried - Call of Duty is a known quantity to me.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're just really betting on multiplayer and put as much focus on it as possible to draw in the old crowd. Heck, even the commercials are about bringing the crew back together.

I don't take this as a bad thing regarding singleplayer. They had footage of SP with the initial reveal and i'm glad they didn't show more so i don't get spoiled.

Very much looking forward to it

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how little of the player base actually play and complete the single player portion of the games, I don't see any issue with the lack of footage for the campaign.
The userbase that plays/completes Call of Duty campaigns is larger than many games' entire userbases. Wolfenstein II wishes it had Call of Duty's singleplayer playerbase, for example.

Take Grand Theft Auto. I think around half of GTA V players never play long enough to unlock Trevor. They simply play GTA Online instead.

This is a really contentious issue, granted, but Call of Duty singleplayer fans are measured in millions. Just because multiplayer is extremely lucrative doesn't change that. The fact GTA Online has completely eclipsed Grand Theft Auto V doesn't mean Grand Theft Auto VI won't have a singleplayer trailer.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be kinda bummed if they went back to bland linear campaign after they made a legitimate effort to evolve some aspects in Infinite Warfare.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
Well if anyone want to watch single player gameplay, the whole campaign is on youtube

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are AssCreeding us and there's a future part and you're only flashbacking to WWII. Lol, could you imagine the reaction.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's very weird especially because the SP is supposed to do some new stuff like no regenerating health and a bit of a squad system, but the impact of those is impossible to judge without some footage. I used to harp on Battlefront 2 for not showing enough but by now they had a regular gameplay blowout compared to the new Cod