• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me. And just now I neglected to thank a man who held a door open and got a very sarcastic "you're welcome." I just want to be left alone when I'm walking around. Anyone else?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No that's a really weird thing, but to each their own I suppose.

It's honestly not a big deal and just something nice/courteous we do for our fellow humans.

edit: and I'm as introverted as they come, but I still don't see the big deal

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, don't be such a grump. But it is pretty petty for someone to say "you're welcome" if you don't say thanks.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
You can always just nod next time if acknowledging another human's courtesy towards you is to much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
...no. Why would I be upset that someone else is being considerate? There are enough dickheads in the world already - it's nice to know some people aren't.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
No, I have no problems with people being nice and opening the door for me. When the situation is reversed I try to thank the people as it is a nice gesture. Especially if I had stuff in my hands.

There really isn't anything to get mad about. Its a free open door.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Door holder opener person here,

I don't care if you smile, or say thank you or nod of anything. I'm just going to hold this door regardless.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I just nod to them so I don't have to talk.

I find it more annoying if they hold the door open from a distance bc then i feel like I need to hurry to get in the door.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also dread human interaction, but the door thing isn't that big of a deal for me. I only hate it when I'm like 20+ feet away and the person still holds the door for me, so I have to pick up my pace to make it less awkward.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
That's a weird one. I'm shocked when anyone actually does it.

I walk with a cane and people still slam doors in my face. I can deal with someone being friendly for a change

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm sorry, but I always hold open doors for people if I'm nearby.
I don't expect a thankyou though.

It's nice when people do it for me too, I thank them and move on. Working in an office this kind of thing is every day life for me, but that's just my own experience.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
And just now I neglected to thank a man who held a door open and got a very sarcastic "you're welcome."
Guy is a dick, not wanting that is normal.
But...

I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me.
That's weird, to me. What's the problem with (barely) looking at someone and saying "thanks"? It's not even conversation, I don't see the issue.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I also hate when people are being nice and considerate to me that in no way inconvenience me

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Canada we have standoffs where we both try to open doors.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Unless they're literally a step or two behind you then fine. But dont make them run because they feel bad you're holding the door open like a dumbass.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
trying to figure out this thread but im just going to go ahead and just leave the door open for a second. stare straight at the person face and close it as they approach.

but when im on the other end sometimes im a mile away and i see them hold the door so i pretend to stop and wait for someone as i pretend to check my phone.

May 10, 2018
No but I guess I shouldn't be surprised someone on here hates other people being kind.

Damn what a random and dumb thing to get upset about.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
No, I get annoyed when people are rude and DON'T hold the door open for me, and graciously thank people when they do. I don't care if people thank me when I do it for them, but I do appreciate the sentiment when someone does.

It must be hard being so introverted :-/

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine.

I don't like watching people hustle when I hold the door for them. I've already committed to this no matter how long you take!

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
No, it's the opposite. I sometimes find it odd when people say thank you when they're right behind me.

What was I going to do, not open the door? Or close it really quickly so you have to open it, too?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No, and I also hold open the door for people with zero expectations of any acknowledgement either though. I don't even know if people say anything when I open the door because I just do it and don't even think about it.

Similarly, I just say a quick "thank you" without even thinking about it or having to have any real sort of interpersonal interaction.

It's not unreasonable in either case unless you just have crippling anxiety or fear of people...in which case I don't know how you go out at all.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I'm as socially awkward as they come (autistic to boot) but it takes no effort to say thank you to someone for showing a bit of human decency.

Even on my worst days this is something that I would never avoid, it's rude.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Holding the door open for someone is an elementary human courtesy that everyone should do.

You are not obligated to say thank you or make eye contact or have a resulting interaction with someone, though. I think you should say thank you but if you can't or don't want to that's your prerogative.

That person is also an asshole for giving you grief for not saying thank you. It isn't a transaction. Courtesy should beget courtesy but you shouldn't expect something in return either.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Not at all, it's a nice gesture and shows, even for a moment, that not all of humanity are completely self involved.

While mutual courtesy and respect isn't required, it is the polite thing to do. They just stopped what they were doing to be nice to you, the least you can do is utter a single sylllible as you pass.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. ? I love holding the door for strangers at Starbucks and greeting them good morning

Oct 28, 2017
Not really, no

I tend to be socially awkward and don't really approach strangers if I don't have to. But I still think holding a door open is a nice gesture. saying thank you doesn't take that much effort

Would you prefer if people slammed the door in your face?